Afr4y

Initial Exploration Is Boring

Recommended Posts

Afr4y    11
On 4/11/2021 at 11:23 PM, gaymime said:

hi, if exploring isnt really your bag you might consider changing your world-settings so that the parts that are troubling you are well, less troublesome. increasing grass and carrots and making your world smaller helps to make surviving less of a grind ^^ there is nothing wrong with making things a little more accommodating  for you

 

also "get gud" is a potato-headed statement to make at someone who is struggling and does nothing to help anyone

Thanks, but I don't do that kind of thing. I'm determined to be able to do what others can, just as good as they can. That's why I have to make everything hard on myself. Frankly, It's why I play games anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Afr4y    11
3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Maybe you shouldnt be distracted in the swamp instead of being mad at others because of your mistakes

This game has a rogelite component which means that you will die a lot before learning. Dont expect to "complete the game" with few hours, it isnt that kind of game. Isnt a Final fantasy or a god of war 

Then why you die at day 7? Just keep playing. Every world will give you more information to survive longer in the next one. Dont give up

Also try easy characters like wendy, wigfrid, willow or wilson instead of wolfgang who will need more food

 

About the exploration thing... the game is about it...

Is like i complain about needing to click to kill players in csgo but i want to walk and also complain because others kill me before i explore the map¿?¿?¿?

 

How on earth do you finish either FF or GOW in less than a day??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Also, I'm really bad at learning from experience, plus my memory of what keeps killing me is garbage. Who explores the map in csgo? You should be focused on objectives.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    8876
2 minutes ago, Afr4y said:

Thanks, but I don't do that kind of thing. I'm determined to be able to do what others can, just as good as they can. That's why I have to make everything hard on myself. Frankly, It's why I play games anyway.

Make the world smaller. You wont need to explore that much and the difficult wont drop a lot. Maybe later you will want to explore default worlds

 

1 minute ago, lionking102 said:

And the most important question: Why can´t people just write normal posts with a minimum of respect towards other people and the devs? Is it really that difficult to not get personal and insult others because of a computer game? The anonymity of the internet does´t give the right to do that! ...

In my opinion you don´t want advice and learn about the game, but just rage. I hope this thread get's closed. 

Remembers me when i played mobas (glad i dont do it anymore) and people always raged because others do bad stuff or because 'lol noob team' but the truth was that the one who complain was the worst player xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Afr4y    11
1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Make the world smaller. You wont need to explore that much and the difficult wont drop a lot. Maybe later you will want to explore default worlds

 

Remembers me when i played mobas (glad i dont do it anymore) and people always raged because others do bad stuff or because 'lol noob team' but the truth was that the one who complain was the worst player xD

The best player was ALWAYS the one complaining in mobas. And i was always the one they were  complaining about :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Afr4y    11
6 minutes ago, lionking102 said:

And the most important question: Why can´t people just write normal posts with a minimum of respect towards other people and the devs? Is it really that difficult to not get personal and insult others because of a computer game? The anonymity of the internet does´t give the right to do that! ...

In my opinion you don´t want advice and learn about the game, but just rage. I hope this thread get's closed. 

Sorry. I don't like raging. It's just I've been trying to be good at something, anything, for years.

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

How do you beat dst in one day?? 

You dont get what i tried to say or you dont want. Im saying that this game is about start over all the time, not keep playing the same save data in the last save point when died like other games until you finish the story

Was a comparation of your personal complains with another non real personal complain. Both has little sense

Sure

If you dont win in a moba is your fault, not your team. The one who compains is just the toxic player

But everyone else seems to be able to make a megabase EVERY SINGLE WORLD whereas I can't survive a week. I precraft an alchemy engine and lightning rod, then proceed to die in one way or another. Usually from combat, i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    8876
9 minutes ago, Afr4y said:

Sorry. I don't like raging. It's just I've been trying to be good at something, anything, for years.

But everyone else seems to be able to make a megabase EVERY SINGLE WORLD whereas I can't survive a week. I precraft an alchemy engine and lightning rod, then proceed to die in one way or another. Usually from combat, i think.

Every player that you see making megabases has suffer more than you. In this game you learn from mistakes. I make megabases too but i have played the game arround 3k hours. Just to start surviving winter with a 99% of success i needed dozens of hours, to survive a whole year i needed hundreds and i dont even know how much hours i needed to beat some of the weak bosses

Stop comparing yourself with experiece players, isnt a compitive game and can be played in many ways, and start playing by your own to enjoy the game. The best part of the game is how hilarious are the situation where you could die. Enjoy it, it wont last forever

Also dont spoil the game if you want to enjoy unless you get stuck. That is just a personal advice but i think the game is more fun when you dont know stuff

As final advice, try small worlds. The world is by default big because of the multiplayer component but you dont need that much empty space if you dont enjoy it. It wont drop the difficulty that much, it just will make you find things a little faster. And be patience, this game isnt a casual game, you need to know the uses of many items, how to react in many situations, etc. Every body was a noob and everybody can improve if that person wants

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    8876
4 minutes ago, Notecja said:

Not sure if this make you feel better, but...

I was dying to treeguard on day 6, hound on day 8, poison birchnut on day 7 and many others, when I was beginner... 

I remember being afraid of chopping because tree guards xD

Every tree i chopped i plant the pine cones because i though it will calm the guardian to dont spawn... good old times

  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wigfrids hat    5198
33 minutes ago, Notecja said:

Not sure if this make you feel better, but...

I was dying to treeguard on day 6, hound on day 8, poison birchnut on day 7 and many others, when I was beginner... 

one word: bees

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
00petar00    273
1 hour ago, Afr4y said:

I look for pig king, then i pick a spot in the closest dragonfly desert that is nearest to a beefalo herd. but I typically dont survive long enough to find a base location. I just lost a wolfgang world because I pulled up my map to pick a place to camp and died to a tentacle. WHY CAN'T SINGLEPLAYER WORLDS WORK LIKE SINGLEPLAYER MAKE A PAUSE OPTION YOU WANNA-BE DEVS!

Also, no one wants to play with me, multiplayer isn't an option.

Its really not that hard to survive if you can kite and are always paying attention. Worst case, just dig all the graves as you explore and get the life giving amulet just in case you die randomly, remembering touchstone locations can also help if you die close to them.

Compared to single player, here you can't afford to stand in a spot and go afk at any given moment, if you are planning to do that, either turn on god mode if you have slow pc or if you have a good pc you can just exit to main menu and start the server back up when you can completely focus on the game again.

If the game is too difficult and you want to have more time to learn without restarting because you are bored of just exploring, there's nothing shameful with modding your game and even making it much easier until you figure it out. There are mods that change the health of all creatures to what they have in DS singleplayer, that can be helpful if you are a solo player for example. It is all up to what you want to do and how you want to learn.

I'll just tell you that my most precious memories were when i was new, i wouldn't want to make it easier.I can vividly remember my deaths and that just makes DST so much more special, once you play the game for a good amount of time, you can literally never die and even if you do, you have life giving amulet always on you and there's actually no risk of losing the world if you are careful, it just feels like there's no punishment and everything feels easy.

 

1 hour ago, Afr4y said:

Every guide I've ever watched says this. It makes since. You can't survive without a beefalo herd. You can't survive without a pig king. You can't survive without a dragonfly desert(well I guess you could base in oasis but I dont like it.

Veteran DST players if they ever tried to survive without making a base, most of them should be able to do it easily.

Just moving around you should be able to gather enough resources for you to survive all seasons and there is a lot of food everywhere in DST worlds with default settings. 

You don't need to explore the whole map, you can make your base anywhere, obviously if you are planning to play on a world that will go hundreds and hundreds of days, you'll want the perfect spot and exploring the whole map will be optimal in that situation.

Edited by 00petar00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmigoInsonia    64
9 minutes ago, gaymime said:

one word: bees

They ain't called Killer Bees for nothing, I tell you what. *Old flashback plays when I was a newbie and got destroyed by an army of killer bees*

Edited by VenomFriend
  • Wavey 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wigfrids hat    5198
1 minute ago, VenomFriend said:

They ain't called Killer Bees for nothing, I tell you what. *Old flashback plays when I was a newbie and got destroyed by an army of killer bees*

no hun, not killer bees just bees

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x0-VERSUS-1y    7240

A little bit more meat on the proverbial bones of this thread it seems: not as much about initial exploration being boring, as it's concerning initial exploration killing you. And, like previous posters underlined, that's ok. Take your time to get the gigs of this game; because, by its very nature, isn't forgiving or beginner-friendly. You don't even need to explore all map first Autumn if you don't fancy it and/or aren't comfortable doing so, since you most likely aren't too familiar with each-and-every biome plus its inherent dangers - hence getting killed. As advice goes, probably you will benefit more from an Endless setting (not Survival or Wilderness), where you can revive at Spawn Gate without losing respective world. Then, if playing on PC, DST Steam Workshop mods may provide additional help: Global Pause, Minimap HUD (akin RTS' ones), Combined Status (character & world statuses always on-screen), Craft Pot (a good way to avoid cooking mistakes), and/or Boss Indicators could further help your survival endeavors. I would also recommend Aerial View (wider screen coverage, more-so if you have a low-to-mid end PC with low resolutions) and Geometric Placement (to get used with nice base-arrangements for future aesthetic designs). And remember: don't rush things, you don't need to "beat" the game anytime soon - being a Sandbox, it doesn't really "end" anyway. "Your world, your rules". Gl!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoughCactus69    385

I think there is a good solution for this. I've said this in many posts before this one. There should be content outside preparation. I want to leave the Florid Postern and instantly be met with some wacky new thing. All this extra preparation and running around to find new stuff is really killing me. I want some beginning stuff. New beginning stuff.

 

Sincerely,

Cactus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    5649
1 minute ago, RoughCactus69 said:

I think there is a good solution for this. I've said this in many posts before this one. There should be content outside preparation. I want to leave the Florid Postern and instantly be met with some wacky new thing. All this extra preparation and running around to find new stuff is really killing me. I want some beginning stuff. New beginning stuff.

 

Sincerely,

Cactus

you're basically asking to play forge and gorge

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Afr4y    11
1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Every player that you see making megabases has suffer more than you. In this game you learn from mistakes. I make megabases too but i have played the game arround 3k hours. Just to start surviving winter with a 99% of success i needed dozens of hours, to survive a whole year i needed hundreds and i dont even know how much hours i needed to beat some of the weak bosses

Stop comparing yourself with experiece players, isnt a compitive game and can be played in many ways, and start playing by your own to enjoy the game. The best part of the game is how hilarious are the situation where you could die. Enjoy it, it wont last forever

Also dont spoil the game if you want to enjoy unless you get stuck. That is just a personal advice but i think the game is more fun when you dont know stuff

As final advice, try small worlds. The world is by default big because of the multiplayer component but you dont need that much empty space if you dont enjoy it. It wont drop the difficulty that much, it just will make you find things a little faster. And be patience, this game isnt a casual game, you need to know the uses of many items, how to react in many situations, etc. Every body was a noob and everybody can improve if that person wants

This is probably the most useful post i've seen so far.

1 hour ago, lionking102 said:

I have the feeling we don't talk about DST or computergames anymore. But anyways: 
If you want to be good at DST that's totally possible. But not with that agressive attitude. Pay respect to the other people here and the devs. And just play a bit more relaxed and maybe watch some streams how other people play. 

If you have trouble to survive for a week, you should analyse how you die, because there must be some really basic mistakes that you don't know about. Just don´t fight everything as a beginner and always, always wear armor as you fight. As a beginner you should never take a hit without wearing a log suit or a football helmet, because without it you get 5 times the amount of damage. 

Ok thanks. I'll try to be more respectful in forums. 

1 hour ago, Notecja said:

Not sure if this make you feel better, but...

I was dying to treeguard on day 6, hound on day 8, poison birchnut on day 7 and many others, when I was beginner... 

huh. ok. that actually does help.

51 minutes ago, gaymime said:

one word: bees

I don't get it.

45 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Its really not that hard to survive if you can kite and are always paying attention. Worst case, just dig all the graves as you explore and get the life giving amulet just in case you die randomly, remembering touchstone locations can also help if you die close to them.

Compared to single player, here you can't afford to stand in a spot and go afk at any given moment, if you are planning to do that, either turn on god mode if you have slow pc or if you have a good pc you can just exit to main menu and start the server back up when you can completely focus on the game again.

If the game is too difficult and you want to have more time to learn without restarting because you are bored of just exploring, there's nothing shameful with modding your game and even making it much easier until you figure it out. There are mods that change the health of all creatures to what they have in DS singleplayer, that can be helpful if you are a solo player for example. It is all up to what you want to do and how you want to learn.

I'll just tell you that my most precious memories were when i was new, i wouldn't want to make it easier.I can vividly remember my deaths and that just makes DST so much more special, once you play the game for a good amount of time, you can literally never die and even if you do, you have life giving amulet always on you and there's actually no risk of losing the world if you are careful, it just feels like there's no punishment and everything feels easy.

 

Veteran DST players if they ever tried to survive without making a base, most of them should be able to do it easily.

Just moving around you should be able to gather enough resources for you to survive all seasons and there is a lot of food everywhere in DST worlds with default settings. 

You don't need to explore the whole map, you can make your base anywhere, obviously if you are planning to play on a world that will go hundreds and hundreds of days, you'll want the perfect spot and exploring the whole map will be optimal in that situation.

Okay, I'll try not to take it so seriously. I guess I am pretty bad-tempered. XD I'll try to make my base earlier so I can get experience with later-game scenarios and then eventually move back to full explorations and find the right base for long term survival.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    8876
18 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

I think there is a good solution for this. I've said this in many posts before this one. There should be content outside preparation. I want to leave the Florid Postern and instantly be met with some wacky new thing. All this extra preparation and running around to find new stuff is really killing me. I want some beginning stuff. New beginning stuff.

 

Sincerely,

Cactus

Lunar grotto and moon island can be explored in the 1st season and have its benefits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Afr4y    11
36 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

A little bit more meat on the proverbial bones of this thread it seems: not as much about initial exploration being boring, as it's concerning initial exploration killing you. And, like previous posters underlined, that's ok. Take your time to get the gigs of this game; because, by its very nature, isn't forgiving or beginner-friendly. You don't even need to explore all map first Autumn if you don't fancy it and/or aren't comfortable doing so, since you most likely aren't too familiar with each-and-every biome plus its inherent dangers - hence getting killed. As advice goes, probably you will benefit more from an Endless setting (not Survival or Wilderness), where you can revive at Spawn Gate without losing respective world. Then, if playing on PC, DST Steam Workshop mods may provide additional help: Global Pause, Minimap HUD (akin RTS' ones), Combined Status (character & world statuses always on-screen), Craft Pot (a good way to avoid cooking mistakes), and/or Boss Indicators could further help your survival endeavors. I would also recommend Aerial View (wider screen coverage, more-so if you have a low-to-mid end PC with low resolutions) and Geometric Placement (to get used with nice base-arrangements for future aesthetic designs). And remember: don't rush things, you don't need to "beat" the game anytime soon - being a Sandbox, it doesn't really "end" anyway. "Your world, your rules". Gl!

Ok. I just overestimated the importance of the right base. I already used geometric placement, and I used Minimap HUD and Combined Status in singleplayer, I just haven't used them in dst yet. I had no idea there was a pause mod. Total game changer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SinancoTheBest    3581
3 hours ago, Afr4y said:

Every guide I've ever watched says this. It makes since. You can't survive without a beefalo herd. You can't survive without a pig king. You can't survive without a dragonfly desert(well I guess you could base in oasis but I dont like it.

Well then, the guides you watched were misleading. Base location and exploration are for convenience if anything. You can survive fairly well without ever knowing where pig king, beefalo herds or any of the deserts are. Exploring everywhere and picking the optimal spot is essentially an advanced strategy once you're able to survive a whole year by yourself and are familiar with the nuts and bolts of the game. At your stage, every second you delay making a base will be detrimental to your survival. 

Next time, try starting your base at the florid postern by day 3. All you need is to explore the few biomes around the postern, get some grass, twigs, logs, rocks, flint and voila, you're good to go. While getting those, grab berries, seeds and carrots you find on the way to keep your hunger up. 

Once you make the firepit and science machine, make yourself a backpack, shovel, spear, hammer and wood armor and start gathering advanced resources like gold, charcoal, and silk; and if you happen to find swamp, clockworks, beefalos, dragonfly desert or pig settlements while searching for those, get pigskin, gears and marble too. Those are essentially all the resources you'll need to survive in this game at that stage. 

At base make an alchemy engine, crock pot, farm plots, chests, ice box, birdcage, marble trees, tent and it'll likely already be late Autumn. Once you get hound teeth from the periodic hound attacks, tumbleweeds etc. start making a tooth trap area. That's it, that's how you survive till winter with ease.

And one final note, you don't need friends playing DST to play with other people. Public servers and especially Klei's official servers are a great way you can play with others and learn how to survive. It's designed to be multiplayer game after all; if you die, your comrades will likely revive you so even through deaths, you can keep on learning new things and won't have to be responsible of making all the constructions by yourself.

TL;dr: I think you were misled by the guides you watched into spending too much time with exploration that is causing you to neglect the basics of survival. I challenge you to rush a base at florid postern with minimal exploration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoughCactus69    385
1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Lunar grotto and moon island can be explored in the 1st season and have its benefits

Yeah, I know that. I just mean like RIGHT out of portal. Like...... RIGHT out of portal....

  • Wavey 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HowlVoid    2575
5 hours ago, Afr4y said:

Dude, I know how to kite, I know lots of dishes, I scour the depths of the wiki to learn about the game, and I'm still bad. Also, my whole family has foresight, but I haven't had a vision in six years.

Sorry, but dying on day 7 either means you're dying to mobs or from hunger. And dying from hunger means you're not getting food from mobs.

The easiest two healing dishes in the game are butter muffins and trail mix.  

Butter muffins- 1 veggie (mushroom/carrot), 1 butterfly wings, 2 twigs

Trail mix- Just use 2 berries and 1 roasted birch nut and 1 twig

The absolute easiest meat in the game is from rabbits. Just stand between the rabbit and its burrow. Try to make it barely run towards its burrow and run alongside it for a bit then turn around and smack it.

Use 2 morsels to befriend 2 pigs and instruct them to kill each other. The more pigs around the better as it will start a pig war. To do this try to hit one of your befriended pigs but move away before the animation completes. Then do the same to the other befriended pig as it chases the first one.

Destroy every pig house in your world and place them all in one place and continue to get them to kill each other for easy pig helmets, food and hambats.

Take a pig army into a beeehive biome and have them clear a few. Make your own beehives for more easy food and sanity. You'll need a few silk for the nets so kite the spiders or take a pig army. They dont need to follow closely behind you. Followers teleport to you when they get off screen. Honey is great for sanity.

This can all be done in the first autumn. You'll never need food, health or sanity again. 

 

 

Edited by HowlVoid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now