Pop Guy

Do robotic chess dream of electric pawns?

Pop Guy    4231

Robotic chess, one of the most inexplicable elements of DST.
Created by the arthropods ancient civilization and copied by Maxwell on the surface? Or the invention of an early postwar US shadow government?
Created in the image and likeness of the three nightmares of the new moon, or copied from the shadows and reshaped according to their alien thoughts?
Robots moved by advanced irreproducible gears and powered by a seemingly inexhaustible energy.
Silent and diligent guardians of Maxwell's machine, these beings defy all logic and are a huge question mark in DST's lore.

image.png.575918ae7a760c0ac54373416df074c3.png

Edited by Pop Guy
  • Like 2
  • Ninja 1

Maximum124    1414
21 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Maxwell built them and I think he did so ironically, because his battle with the survivors was "chess". The last showdown with him in adventure mode is called "checkmate". I think its also meant to allude to us that we are all pawns to "THEM" for their entertainment. 

He also modeled them after already existing creatures, but made them more chess-y. Maxwell also just seems to enjoy chess a lot.

1.png.86cff1fd6774030f4f51fd498849e6fe.png

• Like 2
  • Sanity 2

ArubaroBeefalo    8507
58 minutes ago, DrMcGillacactus said:

What are you eluding to in the title?

every living being should read it

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?: Dick, Philip K.: 9781407230023:  Amazon.com: Books

33 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:
  • Clockwork Knight- "Such quality workmanship!"
  • Clockwork Bishop- "I'm especially proud of that piece."
  • Clockwork Rook- "A castle for my home."
  • Damaged Knight- "It looks beyond repair."
  • Damaged Bishop- "They degrade without proper upkeep."
  • Damaged Rook- "The builders have left it in a state of abandonment."

Maxwell built them and I think he did so ironically, because his battle with the survivors was "chess". The last showdown with him in adventure mode is called "checkmate". I think its also meant to allude to us that we are all pawns to "THEM" for their entertainment. 

but maybe mawell repaired the clockworks but the designs were made by the ancients. There is even a version made of nightmere fuel which have a heart (for whatever reason that i hope isnt a plot hole)

• Like 1
  • Potato Cup 3

HowlVoid    2130
21 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

every living being should read it

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?: Dick, Philip K.: 9781407230023:  Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll make sure my dog starts reading it asap. 

31 minutes ago, Maximum124 said:

He also modeled them after already existing creatures, but made them more chess-y. Maxwell also just seems to enjoy chess a lot.

1.png.86cff1fd6774030f4f51fd498849e6fe.png

Right, so those hippos from hamlet are rooks, are the bishops... tall birds? What are the pawns?

• Haha 1

__IvoCZE__    9049
35 minutes ago, SirToastyToes said:

image.thumb.png.648fc4535e992b0c36175d231a159285.png

The Reverse Toilet of Knowledge!

Jokes aside, I doubt that's what maxwell means.

ArubaroBeefalo    8507

This early concept of iron hulk suggest me ancient vibes. I know it is made from other material that isnt thulecite and in a way that doesnt fit the ancients but what gad klei in mind, about his lore, when this design came? I wish they complete hamlets lore (and other stuff...) so we can know more about the pigs and the ancientsRWP_237_Hamlet_Large_Iron_Hulk_concepts_1.thumb.png.22a5b9b7bea6b3c2fafd14f8281ed365.png

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Big Ups 3

Alements    54

The chess analogy for dont starve is interesting, with many parallels such as the fact that there are 8 pawns per side in chess, and 8 original survivors. The clockworks seem to have protected the ancients and still do, damaged by THEM and changed to the point where they drop nightmare fuel. The ancient guardian also seems to have been changed by the fuel, as said by Maxwell, but as we do not know its original apperance, we cannot tell how. The clockworks on the surface might be left over from when the ancients lived on the surface, and left there as they fled underground. (Long lore ramble lol)