QuartzBeam    3587

Webber was great at planting seeds in the Gorge cause Klei forgot characters needed individual perks until the end of the beta and they had to come up with something that was easy to code at the last minute.

This whole farmer thing just... it doesn't have anything to do with Webber's overall theme, that being that he's a cartoonishly innocent and kind kid who happens to look like a monstrous spider. And I really don't get why that one line about Webber's father raising goat keeps getting brought up as evidence Webber should be some boy farming genius. I mean, if you take a look at Webber's speech file, you'll probably find that Webber's family has engaged in every profession and hobby under the sun. His father was a scientist and a goat herder. His mother was a cook and who knows what else. His grandpa was a professional Tam o Shanter wearer or something.

As for differentiating Webber from Wurt... there's already a pretty good basis for it. Spiders are considerably different than any other follower mobs, as they rely on numbers way more than they do on individual strength. They are incredibly cheap to tame, as one meat will tame several at once, and they are also found in most corners of the world as it is; and if they are not, you can carry around a few dozens of spider eggs with you and plant nests wherever you go. Focusing on Webber's ability to amass a gazillion spiders (vs. the considerably fewer Merms Wurt can get unless she is super late game) and giving Spiders their own unique utility outside of combat (my personal favorite: gathering grass/twigs/berries/stone fruit/farm plants, by biting them off like eyeplants do and bringing them to you) is, I believe, a far better and more natural direction for the character than trying to make spiders be able to fight raid bosses or tacking on a completely different mechanic that does not actually fix the problem with the existing mechanics.

• Like 4

HowlVoid    1346

I've had this idea for some time now. I've been reserved from sharing it because Klei does its own thing for reworks but here goes:

I'm a big fan of webber's simple design and I think it would be great if it was kept this way. With webber being a kid and all, they would probably be constructing their own spider silk toys. Silk being a great constructing material and his child imagination being limitless.

Spider silk yo-yo

When they have it equipped they can click on a spider and their yoyo will perform a "walk the dog" towards the spider and tangle it. Allowing webber to herd spiders. Every spider is a "leash" item in an inventory slot. They obediently follow Webber and don't attack.

Spider silk airplane

A small plane that can be thrown at a tree. The plane will fly around the tree in an upwards spiral, tangling up the tree in spider silk, before crashing at the top. Any spiders Webber releases nearby this tree, will climb it and await for unsuspecting enemies. This allows Webber to make ambush traps. Tier 3 trees hold 5 spiders and when they're done killing stuff they wont eat the loot and go back onto the tree. You can see the spiders on the tree, they don't go inside it. Chopping down the tree returns some silk.

Spider silk super ball

A ball made of silk that bounces to a target. The ball homes in as it bounces towards the enemy. A target hit will be trapped in the same manner euwacus' mucus does.

Spider silk paddle ball

Webber can equip this from their inventory and one of their extra appendages will start paddling away. They can hold a max of 4 and restore a very small amount of sanity each, maybe 1 every 4 seconds for a max of 4 every 4 seconds. After a few seconds have passed they will start rolling a small chance for the string to break and if there is an enemy nearby it will deal a small amount of damage (5?) 

If they have a toy in their inventory, and is standing still, they will play an animation of playing with the toy with one of their extra appendages (except for the paddle ball).

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 4

hot focaccia    37

i understand that his spiders becoming better might be replicating wurt but webber has been around much longer than wurt so if he was meant to become the king of the spiders and take over the constant he would have more of a right to it than wurt and also if webber is meant to own the constant with his spiders we should allow that and it could be fun like a server with webber,wurt and a tiny bit of roleplaying and suddently you have a fun war server with better plot than game of thrones so it could be a competition/ replacement if they dont want to buy wurt.

• Like 2

Benj0w    1

The lore might be that but thats not a good path for the character IMO. DST already have a farm based char which is wormwood, i think the peculiarity and strenght pf webber is in his spiders

As a webber main, I feel like webber is kind of a hermit in a coop game since his spiders are dificult to control and do not work with some survivors (wendy, woodie for example) during fights. 

Making webber give command to his spiders, spider queen taming as was suggested before might be a better path

The lore says he is a friend of spiders but what should he be in the first place? He was eaten by one, he uses spiders.

Any one who played webber knows hes not a farmer, he is a "lord of the flies" sadistic and bloodlusting kind of child who puts spiders to fight each other for his amusement (and loot), MUAHAHAHA! 

Edited by Benj0w
  • Like 1

Dragolantis    54

He is in need of it tho, not with this 'Husbandry' Tab, but maybe something else, All Webbers perks can essentially be accomplished by a hat you get from a spoder queen, and the queen isn't hard to kill if you kill the spoders before they overwhelm you.

• Like 1

Articestone    879

What I hope they focused is the fact that Webber is a child. So maybe Webber can make toys he can play and maybe with his friends. Maybe he can disguised himself to make friends maybe he can control his 2 sides, like Wilba or maybe create a custom spider biome that is like a playground 

• Like 1

Felipon01    1

I like the idea of monster meals, that warly teaches webber a bit of cooking, ending in monster meals that are actually edible by the survivors, idk, is a quick thought. I like the silk toys, and being able to calm down or pacify hoards of spiders with a screech or something isn't a bad a idea, because I don't like Chester being killed by my spiders. 

• Like 1