• Fantasy
    • Slice of life
    • Dystopian
    • Adventure
    • Xianxia
    • Game
    • Horror
    • Sci-fic

This may be a weird question but you see I mostly spend my time reading online novels and rarely do I find people around me with similar interests as me so I just want to ask if I am one of the few people in the forums who read novels or there are many like me. 

3 minutes ago, gaymime said:

well, only the hobbit and a few chapters of moby dlck when i was too busy to read it myself but i have teeeeechnically read books online

i prefer paper though, i just love the feel and smell of paper

For me, reading paper books give me the sense of satisfaction of finish reading it as you can clearly tell when you are approaching to the end of the book 

i have never read a single novel 

EXPECT for one that I've been reading recently 

i generally don't like anime because of how the world has portrayed it to me

but when i say the novel on steam, it was almost as if god wanted me to check it out 

so i did 

and the novel heavily reminded me of this web series i read every Thursday called unordinary 

both storys have superpowers, romance, and this element of mystery to it

i've only finished the first chapter 

I'd give it a reasonable 8.5/10(maybe 8/10) I'd say its better but something happened at the end of chapter 1(in the game they're called episodes) that i don't want to spoil that made me say its only an 8.5/10

oh yeah i haven't even said the name of the novel 

it's 9-nine if you wanna read it 

so to answer your question

"do i like novels"

well based off the one that i read, sure 

most probably won't be reading any other ones tho

k have a good day or night wherever you are in the world

12 minutes ago, viberr said:

i have never read a single novel 

EXPECT for one that I've been reading recently 

i generally don't like anime because of how the world has portrayed it to me

but when i say the novel on steam, it was almost as if god wanted me to check it out 

Dude, you confused book with visual novel!

This is your "novel":

image.png.187fedf531b5aaf6a7cc39c707556909.png

And this is novel:

image.png.851cdb5bdd13e04e57210fdc60ab6a61.png

3 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

Dude, you confused book with visual novel!

This is your "novel":

image.png.187fedf531b5aaf6a7cc39c707556909.png

And this is novel:

image.png.851cdb5bdd13e04e57210fdc60ab6a61.png

uh ohhhhhhhhhh

im stupid

imma delete my account now 

bye

@inferjus4

cut me some slack tho 

they're called visual novels so thats what i thought he meant by novels 

in my opinion thats a pretty common misunderstanding

1 hour ago, viberr said:

I was so confused for a moment there thank you @inferjus4 for clarifying it

I have an online novel that I want to recommend but I don't think many can accept it because of some gruesome stuff that appears on the earlier chapters plus because the novel can influence our views in society, it was ban in China (author from china) so it is Currently on hiatus and will be completed next year. 

The online novel name is Reverend Insanity, it is in the wuxia and xianxia genre and there is no romance unlike most Chinese xianxia/wuxia genre novel. Warning, If you ever read this novel, you will mostly like cannot stand reading other novels since it will more or less change your taste. 

14 minutes ago, Articestone said:

The online novel name is Reverend Insanity, it is in the wuxia and xianxia genre and there is no romance unlike most Chinese xianxia/wuxia genre novel. Warning, If you ever read this novel, you will mostly like cannot stand reading other novels since it will more or less change your taste. 

jeez that novel must be extremely good if it completely changes your tastes in novels:lol:

Just now, viberr said:

jeez that novel must be extremely good if it completely changes your tastes in novels:lol:

It change ur way of thinking maybe corrupt it actually, it doesn't really fit in our society, it is like self benefit > collective benefit at a extreme level. 

But can't blame the MC after having 500 years of life exp in a dog eat dog world and have to adopt that thinking to thrive and grow

(as Natuski from Doki Doki Literature Club):  "Manga IS literature!" 

(but no seriously it can be.  Same for Western style "graphic novels".)

Me, I've read a couple of things online that were long enough to be _technically_ novels, but usually I read paper books.  I've read all kinds of stuff, usually defaulting to sci-fi and fantasy. At the moment I'm reading the first book of The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, "Red Mars".  It's good in terms of showing you how a foreign planet can eventually develop a colony, then a culture, and slowly bit by bit start to become more inhabitable, but it's kinda slow at times and there are some things about certain main characters that makes me want to punch them (coughJohncough). 

If you're into/interested in hard sci-fi I'd give it a try, but maybe just from the library, if they have it.  And if you like it, there's two more!

...Notorious

I've only read one novel online, and it was called "Release that Witch!" It's SUPER long, so I never finished it, but I got considerably far into it. I highly recommend, as it's very interesting, involving both scientific and supernatural aspects.

Intro to what it's about below:

Spoiler

A hardworking engineer, Cheng Yan, ends up working himself to death and reincarnates in the body of a wastrel prince in the Middle Ages of Europe. He eventually assesses the situation and, as he is growing accustomed to his new life, learns that, in this world, contrary to his own beliefs, there are actually witches with real powers. Instead of executing them fearing their dangerous potential as most people tend to do in the olden days, he actually enlists them to help advance his civilization using his modern knowledge of science and applying the witches' powers, achieving things that Middle Ages Europe has never seen. I'll leave it at that for you to read on, if you wish to do so.

Here are some links if any of you are interested in reading it:

• The novel is pretty long, ~1500 chapters...
  • There's also a webcomic for it as well, if you want visuals (which are actually inaccurate, like how Roland should have white hair instead of black hair).

Other than that, I just read physical books. Usually, I can't focus as well when reading text on a screen.

17 minutes ago, fierysage1 said:

I've only read one novel online, and it was called "Release that Witch!" It's SUPER long, so I never finished it, but I got considerably far into it. I highly recommend, as it's very interesting, involving both scientific and supernatural aspects.

Intro to what it's about below:

Hide contents

A hardworking engineer, Cheng Yan, ends up working himself to death and reincarnates in the body of a wastrel prince in the Middle Ages of Europe. He eventually assesses the situation and, as he is growing accustomed to his new life, learns that, in this world, contrary to his own beliefs, there are actually witches with real powers. Instead of executing them fearing their dangerous potential as most people tend to do in the olden days, he actually enlists them to help advance his civilization using his modern knowledge of science and applying the witches' powers, achieving things that Middle Ages Europe has never seen. I'll leave it at that for you to read on, if you wish to do so.

Here are some links if any of you are interested in reading it:

• The novel is pretty long, ~1500 chapters...
  • There's also a webcomic for it as well, if you want visuals (which are actually inaccurate, like how Roland should have white hair instead of black hair).

Other than that, I just read physical books. Usually, I can't focus as well when reading text on a screen.

Release that witch is a pretty good novel that I have read before, lots of worldbuilding involved and the MC is also not dumb but honestly also never finished the novel because got a bit bored by the later parts of the novel, so I have about 100 chapters left till the end of the novel 

11 minutes ago, babba said:

How does the concept of a "book" work ? Or is it this modern form of entertainment, where people ready the alphabet in a so called "digital form" :confused:

I have a entire library in my room. I read the pages while in the bathroom.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

I have a entire library in my room. I read the pages while in the bathroom.

Mobile entertainment ! I like this philosophy :rolleyes: I do wonder if two people standing next to each other, could read a page together - Physically it could work, in theory. One of the two would have to decide when to flip a page, so cooperative acting would be beneficial. I do assume that these pages can be moved and re-arranged...I heard that there can be multiple pages sorted in a row :confused:

Maybe the term "Flipchart" is derived from such practices, where a muppet stands in front of a so called "Flipchart" and often is talking about increasing numbers...

9 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I mean I own books with pages. I don't use my phone or laptop when I'm reading my backlog of manga and comics.:wilson_ecstatic:

My father had a 30-grand-lexicon book collection, total weight 50 kilos. He bought it for a million and probably gave it away for $5 or so.

I wish I had it, I so would have loved to build a book-worm-throne or uncomfortable sofa out of it.

image.thumb.png.13d0a37bb174f07568f06f664b974c72.pngimage.thumb.png.a4c4519088d72c1d30d882a12e49b055.png

The only books I ever recommend are the Ishmael books by Daniel Quinn. 

Ishamel

My Ishmael 

The Story of B 

are all great reads. A telepathic Gorilla is seeking students so he can impart some wisdom he's gained from watching human society as an outsider. These books are really just Daniel Quinn's ideas on how we should be interacting with the planet as a species. It's probably the biggest reason that I actually agree with most of the United Nation's Agenda 21 plan for the world despite being a staunch anti-NWO kind of guy. 

To grant Science Fiction a bit more representation, I'd like to list my favourites from the perhaps most iconic author of the genre, Isaac Asimov. He's usually known for the "I, Robot" collection, but his "The Dead Past" is also very good by itself and short enough to read in one sitting. "The Caves of Steel" is also worth reading, it's a great blend of general scifi and murder mystery.

As for the dead-of-outer-space kind of scifi, The Expanse is very good. (The TV show cannot convey all the content and nuance in its short time frame, thus it is subpar to me.)

The other kind of novel I "enjoy" is difficult to describe. It is stories that explain unfathomable contexts and foreign perspectives, less extreme than Horror but undeniably real. Topics that are unfortunately considered taboo on forums by virtue of sparking immense discussion, e.g. post-war neglect and domestic abuse.

Archived