Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Szczuku

So... RoT is comming to an end, huh?

Szczuku    17631

Two years have passed since RoT began. We've seen content updates, character updates and qol updates.

And today we've been informed that the team is getting ready to finish RoT up.

I mean... 2 years have passed and we haven't gained a single piece of information about Them.

2 years have passed and the ocean is still vastly useless.

2 years have passed and players still don't have many reasons to play longer than... well 2 years.

2 years have passed and the general meta has barely changed. Pigman still walk into fences. Jerky is still op. People still rush ruins.

Klei did manage to refresh a single mechanic, through those 2 years, that being farming. Congrats

So either those last few updates will be bangers that will contain most of the wishes community has been throwing at Klei for the past 2-3 years. Or they will be underwhelming.

Let's be honest- it's most likely the latter. I think that dst will need some regular old updates that will expand the game in its foundations without having to be 'epic storyline'-related.

. . .    4172
5 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

well i mean it's much better than the previous ocean which was nothing so there's that i for one enjoy boats a lot lol

5 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

2 years have passed and players still don't have many reasons to play longer than... well 2 years.

well who knows... maybe there will be more updates in the future which can do such a thing

HeatAndRun    2065

Players need to sail around a lot to collect all 3 celestial tributes to activate mysterious energy. Depending on what future content related to mysterious energy can provide, the sailing can become a lot more viable. But I too still agree there is much more potential to ocean content no implemented.

ArubaroBeefalo    11356
13 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

2 years have passed and the general meta has barely changed. Pigman still walk into fences. Jerky is still op. People still rush ruins.

now  the """meta""" is having productive farms because RWYS, a salt box to keep raw ingredients, stone fruit to farm filler food and rocks, anenemies to: have new automated farms, clean AG/clockworks in the ruins in a passive way, protection against hounds, bunnymens arent the best food source anymore, kelp as an easy veggie source that also dries fast to get sanity, glass cutters and glass axes to fight bosses  and farm wood (or just cleaning world regrow) faster, we have "bridges" so no more telepuffing to cross close biomes, also boats works for plating lureplants in a easy and compact way (no more turfing a lot of land to prevent eyes to spawn) for the new strong health and sanity recipes, new reliables ways of getting bone shards via fishing (with a fun mechanic), etc

people now can choose to rush ruins or rush moon island

HowlVoid    4584
19 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Is there a reason why the ocean cant get more updates outside of RoT?  As far as things changing- last time I checked this community hates change. Sometimes it feels like Klei is walking barefoot on shards of glass. Small change to Wicker and everyone freaked tf out.

Hornete    10900

I'm hopeful, but admittedly I am a bit scared we might not be getting too much more ocean content as RoT nears it's end but I'll just wait and see.

Notecja    2120

I believe after finishing Moon content we can still get later sea updates. Or maybe a series of updates that will bring another island.

Maxil20    2032
5 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I'm hopeful, but admittedly I am a bit scared we might not be getting too much more ocean content as RoT nears it's end but I'll just wait and see.

I mean just because an update string is ending doesn’t mean the ocean is getting abandoned forever. If anything, there could be another update string that primarily focuses on ocean content.

I think of the ocean right now as DS base game without ROG. It’s playable and has content that matters, but could totally be expanded upon later down the line.

Mike23Ua    11400

Considering this information was released on April Fools day I’m taking it with a grain of salt.

And also considering there’s still 6 characters yet to be reworked I realistically can’t see Return of them coming to an end anytime soon.

Lets remember the 2021 Roadmap

Year of Beefalo, 3 Reworks, 1 new Character, 3 Content Updates, 2 QoL Updates, one new seasonal Summer event.

Of those things: We’ve got- Year of Beefalo, Wes Rework, 1 of 2 QoL updates.

Im pretty certain your all just falling for Klei’s April fools prank... 

3 updates in one year schedule doesn’t sound like an End Next month..

x0-VERSUS-1y    7806

In 2021 DST Roadmap there is mentioned: "Three Content Updates". Even if events tied to "Them" will be neatly wrapped up via next macro-update, still 2 more content updates remain. Maybe one for Ocean and one related to Caves. I further hope we'll get in the end Seasonal changes to seas around Constant, various weather (different wave types?) plus a lot more plant & animal life, even if only small marine-life animations, bioluminescent creatures at night, certain algae, small fishes, jellyfishes or the like. Or perhaps a dead sea is what KLei thematically envisions for "Return of Them". Time will tell, as hope dies last. Even so, we got plenty free content to a quite old game, hence at least that - it matters.

TemporarySolutn    1125

I kinda hoped when I saw this

1000?cb=20190128220454

That they were about to change core mechanics and add a whole bunch of new features and I mean, boating, fishing, and lunacy, yeah those are some changes that I enjoyed but the rest of the content has really just been like "oh thats cool I guess"

I dont know what they plan for after RoT, maybe thats the point of RoT, add funny lore stuff and flesh everything out later. I've just started playing with Uncompromising Mode + Combat Overhaul to give myself that extra content boost I want

Well-met    6233

apart from the jerky comment I'm inclined to agree

in my eyes so far the only decent thing rot gave is the salt box, glass cutter and maybe glass axe

. . .    4172

I love all these things RoT added

• Ocean
  • Pancake boat
  • Immersive farming
  • Players can open containers at same time
  • Lunar Island + Lunar Cave
  • Grotesque creepy Mobs (Pengull + Hound)
  • Real NPC (Pearl)
  • Salt Box
  • ~999 new skins :wilson_sneaky:

For me it was good series of updates of course I would like more always, but I'm content with all stuff that was added mostly! The only part I didn't care for was the new fishing mechanics and that's because it's too complicated to get into especially when DST days only last 8 minutes it's not worth the time.

Bird Up    2342

im just amazed they never added bridges. there was a million bridge suggestions over those 2 years, and we still have these super ugly circle boats spam that we use as bridges. There's that bridge mod on the workshop which is absolutely amazing, and just shows what klei could have done with making ocean content not "core" but still interesting and fun.

still no different boat types, nothing designed around building an efficient boat base, etc.

Szczuku    17631
9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

return of them arc != sea updates

Well it kind of got introduced in RoT and 5 out of 7 RoT updates were focused on it so yeah... RoT was pretty much ocean content

9 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Is there a reason why the ocean cant get more updates outside of RoT

It can but as far as I remember when New Reign ended we had a 2 year gap with no new content for the base game. Instead we got temporary events that, while fun and interesting, only left behind skins and some lore.

Speaking of which, Klei's yet to make a clear connection between the gateway arc and RoT and I feel like this sort of thing should've been done at the beginning of the update chain.

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

now  the """meta""" is

Look, I'm not saying that RoT had no impact on the meta because it did, I'm not denying that.

But its impact doesn't really feel satisfying.

Hunger was already a trivial thing to most players. Now you can live off of your main food source (in my case it's jerky) and have a lureplant boat, rwys farms, kelp and berry/stonefruit bushes in case you happen to need them (such as me running out of jerky).

Glass cutter isn't all that better than dark sword. I mean, one of the first arguments people used to justify Wes's new rework was that he's now good at nightmare fuel farming.

Glass axe is only usefull in Toadstool fights. I mean, what are you supposed to do, craft 15 axes so that you don't have to visit Lunar Islands after you cut like 12 trees? Same thing applies to the glass cutter, just stockpile it?

Salt box is usefull. It had an impact on the meta (in that hunger is even easier to manage)

Sea fishing is nothing more than an in-game hobby. I see no reason to try and use it as your food source, just like Sea weeds and their barnacles.

Ancient archive is just another checkpoint in assembling the celestial thingies. I don't see why someone would bother with farming thulecite through moths. And terra-tamper is for megabasers only.

Now that I've gone through it I see that RoT mostly impacted only the food mechanic of the game. Footbal helmet is still the most versatile armor in the game. Hambats and tentacle spikes are still the best weapons that don't require much efford to obtain. You still base in caves/oasis durring the summer. 

Russian_Philin    16618
Spoiler
10 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Two years have passed since RoT began. We've seen content updates, character updates and qol updates.

And today we've been informed that the team is getting ready to finish RoT up.

I mean... 2 years have passed and we haven't gained a single piece of information about Them.

Klei did manage to refresh a single mechanic, through those 2 years, that being farming. Congrats

So either those last few updates will be bangers that will contain most of the wishes community has been throwing at Klei for the past 2-3 years. Or they will be underwhelming.

Let's be honest- it's most likely the latter. I think that dst will need some regular old updates that will expand the game in its foundations without having to be 'epic storyline'-related.

As for the story itself, namely the global plot, we have received some new information and we are slowly being prepared for something. I think it will be something large-scale and interesting. Yes, and the name of the update cycle is called Return of THEM, and it would be logical to assume that THEY will simply arrive, but all will also still be hidden in the shadows.

As for the content: everything is less joyful here. Not everyone can make high-quality content in large quantities in a short time. The developers try to give us entertaining content, but time limits.. deadlines ruin everything... Yes, we can say that they themselves invented these deadlines and now the content suffers.. You'll be partly right.. But the point is that if there is not even a conditional deadline, then all updates to the game may stop. Remember the events (The Forge, The Gorge)? Here, too, it could be. The development team would make a giant, just a very giant update every six months or a year, and all the while there would be no news and no updates.

I think that not everything is so dramatic and bad.. Yes, I want more.. But to get more, you need to wait more, and make more effort.

minespatch    89379
20 minutes ago, Russian_Philin said:

you need to wait more, and make more effort.

I prefer waiting rather than expecting a rushed product. So far people keep returning to the product, there are loyal players. Klei's company will keep a returning playerbase because the product eventually still shares it's quality(including the regular bugfixes).

Russian_Philin    16618
7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I prefer waiting rather than expecting a rushed product. So far people keep returning to the product, there are loyal players. Klei's company will keep a returning playerbase because the product eventually still shares it's quality(including the regular bugfixes).

I'm having trouble waiting. I always want everything to be here and now. It's stupid of me, but it's part of my character.
But I'd rather wait, too, than enjoy a ready-made quick result. For me, this game is too soulful, and I want it to be like this until the very end. And quick updates are always not a soulful job, I think. To do something well and with the soul you need time. Let the developers put that soul in there, I think we're all willing to wait.

Cheggf    4302
12 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Based.

12 hours ago, Szczuku said:

2 years have passed and the general meta has barely changed.

Cringe!