What's Your Wishlist For Next QoL?

4 hours ago, Slagger said:

Players should have kind of level system that could to be shown as numbers or appelation (Like newbie, veteran, survivor etc.)

Please no. I can’t tell you how many times I saw forge/gorge servers with “level XX+ only” and would immediately tell the person to leave if they were even like 1-2 levels away from what it was mentioning. Plus, there would likely be ways to “cheese” level ups via idling. 

Players that had have so much griefer reports could have "Griefer" tag on his DST profile, so we could be more carefull about that players. None of player would accept that kind of reputation damage, so they will try to not griefing.

I’m not a fan of this, either. While I’ve never been a Griefer myself for fairly obvious reasons, I know friends that have and have regretted it years later. In addition, this could lead to people being banned from 1 server chain being banned from all of them, similar to an incident with how a client mod would immediately launch a vote kick based on a server ban list that had griefers from years prior.

Klei just should make item info mod offical, so we could use the most important game mod without having huge performance problems. They just could make it configurable, so people that prefer play without it could turn it off. That's it.

It’s a nice mod, but it spoils a lot of the experience that’s meant to be hidden, especially with mob HP. If you are fighting Deerclops with the mod and it drops to 200 HP but you have low stats, people will likely have far different responses then having low stats and still now knowing how close Deerclops is to death. In addition, even if Klei was behind it, the tweak will likely come with preformance issues as it needs to know the stats of every loaded item/mob in the players view, and that can cause a significant hindrance.

Some of DST skins (cool ones) have unsymmetric views like one-eyed glasses of Maxwell & Wilson, one eyed Wilson skin, default Wurt skin and most of gladdiator skins.

This is less of an issue with the skins, and more of how the game is programmed. There’s only 1 side sprite, and it’s flipped based on what direction you are looking at. It looks silly occasionally, but the only other option is doing double the effort that is only applicable in 3-4% of scenarios that involve characters/skins.

Everything else I’m okay/don’t have problems with, and I personally agree with them.

As for some QoL ideas I wish for:

1) More durability/a way to recharge to “station bound” weapons: A thulecite club has 200 uses, which sounds great on paper, but ugh in actual DST combat. The weapon breaks incredibly quickly, and every time you want another one you need to head back all the way down to the station again to craft another one, let alone the fact it’s cost is very expensive for what is basically ~10% better DPS then a dark sword in the absolute ideal scenario. If the weapon had a much higher durability (~375 uses, same as SW’s obsidian spear) or could be recharged with something like thulecite for 25-33% of its durability, I would probably think about using the weapon more often. The same applies to the glass cutter, but I find that a little less bothersome as the station is on the surface as opposed to the caves, and you can somewhat move it.

2) Seeds spoil into absolutely nothing when spoiled, and not rot: Very simple, but would be a greatly appreciated change. Seed spawn rates are lowered, but that doesn’t stop rot piles from slowly building up overtime on a long term world. Cookie crumbles already accomplish spoiling into nothing, so there’s very likely a way to retrofit the code to apply that function to seeds.

3) Beefalo stop losing domestication when fully tamed: The main thing holding me back from domesticating a beefalo is it essentially leeches my boards/nitre supplies as long as it’s alive, regardless of how often I actually will use it. Losing domestication while it’s being tamed is perfectly fine and makes sense, but it still doing that when fully tamed feels unfun, especially since a way you can currently counter this is logging out with a beefalo and a bell (alt account meta, woo!)

4) Drop the log cost of boards to 3 logs, and drop the board cost of chests to 2 boards: The wood grind is exceptionally boring, and incredibly relevant in the late game. If the board cost was dropped to 3, it would allow you to speedup farming boards for projects especially with how chests currently eat up 12 logs for 9 slots.

5) Drop the cost of moonrock walls from 12 moonrocks for 4 walls to 4 moonrocks for 4 walls: I’m legitimately impressed this is still a thing. Every other wall cost is usually 1 material for 1 wall (2 boards gives 8 wood walls, 1 thulecite gives 6 walls, 2 cut stone gives 6 stone walls). Moonrock walls are the massive exception, taking 3 times the usual cost to produce walls that are basically no different from stone/thulecite walls other then their look and HP. Considering how little PVP is talked about and how many hits they already take to smash with a hammer, I think it’s okay for their cost to be brought down to match other wall costs.

6) Add a golden hammer: A lot of people really want a golden pitchfork, but I desire having a 4X durability hammer. Hammers are important for dismantling builds and clearing ruins, and it annoys me that there’s no golden alternative to something that breaks as frequently as standard axes/pickaxes/shovels. It would definitely help a lot for repeated ruins clears, as one golden hammer can potentially break 100 broken clockworks compared to 25.

7) Adjust the stats of the ruins crafts: This one is a bit more difficult, and I can’t really justify making it as a QOL request. A few items at the station really just need some stat tweaks or recharge features to be fairly decent for lategame standards. Examples include the pick/axe, the houndius, the thulecite suit (RIP 540 durability thanks to armor tax tm), and the lazy forager. 

Overall, those are my main wishes for an update. I don’t know when Klei will do another one, but I’ll probably try to refer to these if they ask for ideas again. Just have to wait and see : P

6 hours ago, Slagger said:

3) Walter Balancing
I believe Walter is just a little "weak". He could get few "update sparkles" to be better. Maybe his slingshot should be faster or he should have new ammos idk.

free chester/beefalo + immunity to passive sanity + PK base for infinity gold, gold rounds, feathers, morsels and Krampus

bee allergies - low health 130 - damage hurts sanity by 2x

Sure he gets trumped by others and yes I think slingshot is meh compared to melee but Walter is like Webber < Wilson

the next 3 reworked characters I'm betting Webber (Spring), Wicker (Summer), Maxwell (Fall)

4 hours ago, trinket_4 said:

one thing that i wish to have on a QoL update is the ability to change skins of objects with the mouse scroll while building.

I mean, when you are gonna place something, you can just scroll (with the mouse scroll) to change skins, instead of going to the tab, click on the object and change the skin there. This way you could see which skin matches your base easier and faster

Well, the mouse wheel already has camera zoom, which can be especially helpful during building. Some other key-bind would work better. Maybe numbers? Can numbers equip items when you are building?

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Woodie’s hell

More like Woodie's paradise. When your transformation ends during full moon, you don't turn into another. Which means permanent full moon would be paradise for Woodie, since full moons wouldn't be able to surprise him ever again. (that is if we are talking about permanent night as well)

also as a reply to the topic itself, i've been advocating for a QoL change in a post (shared below) a few months back. I guess it's worth it to post it here as well.

38 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

More like Woodie's paradise. When your transformation ends during full moon, you don't turn into another. Which means permanent full moon would be paradise for Woodie, since full moons wouldn't be able to surprise him ever again. (that is if we are talking about permanent night as well)

You can test how would every day be for Woodie doing a lights out and skipping till day 11th, which gives you a full day of full moon:

1. Every time you leave a cave, you will transform into something randomly, consuming all your food and putting you at risk to die.
  2. You will start the game transformed. Unless you randomly get the Goose, it's really not the ideal way to start. Specially if you don't start during autumn or spring.
  3. Transformations will be too long which means that transformations will inevitably make you insane at some point. The moose can handle himself decently well while insane, the goose can probably outrun the shadows for a while (probably) the beaver will most likely cause you to die.
  4. Even if you do nothing, transformations will take a while to leave, extending the risk time when you are trying to return to human form to heal. 

It's not unplayable, but I would certainly NOT pick Woodie in a world like that. And I'm a Woodie main :-D

30 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

You can test how would every day be for Woodie doing a lights out and skipping till day 11th, which gives you a full day of full moon:

1. Every time you leave a cave, you will transform into something randomly, consuming all your food and putting you at risk to die.
  2. You will start the game transformed. Unless you randomly get the Goose, it's really not the ideal way to start. Specially if you don't start during autumn or spring.
  3. Transformations will be too long which means that transformations will inevitably make you insane at some point. The moose can handle himself decently well while insane, the goose can probably outrun the shadows for a while (probably) the beaver will most likely cause you to die.
  4. Even if you do nothing, transformations will take a while to leave, extending the risk time when you are trying to return to human form to heal. 

It's not unplayable, but I would certainly NOT pick Woodie in a world like that. And I'm a Woodie main :-D

What about a temporary mechanic that allows woodie to build a "human" idol out of health+some sanity? You would have to play the character in reverse in a way... You can be human for a day? 2 days?

The idol would appear to be made out that transformations feathers/fur to explain the hp penalty. They made the idol out of their bodies.

It would be the only thing they could craft. The animation would be of them ripping of a bunch of hair/feather and crafting an idol that falls on the floor. From there they can interact with it to transform into woodie. It would have to last between going into/out of sinkholes.

2 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

4) Drop the log cost of boards to 3 logs, and drop the board cost of chests to 2 boards: The wood grind is exceptionally boring, and incredibly relevant in the late game. If the board cost was dropped to 3, it would allow you to speedup farming boards for projects especially with how chests currently eat up 12 logs for 9 slots.

maybe we should keep in chest what is necessary and not every garbage that falls in our hands. Diogenes is a tendency in this game

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

maybe we should keep in chest what is necessary and not every garbage that falls in our hands. Diogenes is a tendency in this game

I see people have this huuuuuge amount of chests and even chests dedicated to a single item. Usually I harvest only what I need when I need it so I never tend to have a surplus of stuff. It really does boil down to time/resource management.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

In Hamlet during aporkcalipse Woodie transformations were occuring every second "day" (or rather night, since it was like lights out but fullmoon all time) and I think devs would adjust it in similar way, except time-skip.

For something like "every night is fullmoon but still are days" scenario, during day and dusk Woodie doesn't transform, and I think is enough time without transformations to care about things around. Also in DST is possible to sleep on shorter nights to avoid transformations (so I would pick Woodie anyway)

adding stuff to woodie just to fit in a setting that a little % of people will use during a little % of the played time is a waste of time and resources by klei imo

one thing is adding a line of code for pearl to wake up during light out and another is think about how to """rework""" woodie to work in full moon 24/7 even when full moon worlds could be fun

just my 2(ten)cents

10 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

adding stuff to woodie just to fit in a setting that a little % of people will use during a little % of the played time is a waste of time and resources by klei imo

one thing is adding a line of code for pearl to wake up during light out and another is think about how to """rework""" woodie to work in full moon 24/7 even when full moon worlds could be fun

just my 2(ten)cents

Meh. Klei has wasted dev. time on other things a small % of people use like the ringing sea shells. 

3 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

Drop the log cost of boards to 3 logs, and drop the board cost of chests to 2 boards: The wood grind is exceptionally boring, and incredibly relevant in the late game. If the board cost was dropped to 3, it would allow you to speedup farming boards for projects especially with how chests currently eat up 12 logs for 9 slots.

How inclined would klei be to actually implement something like this? Maybe if content was also added that gave more incentive for putting things in chests. That way it would accommodate all ranges of players. 

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

That's the problem, though. Chests are too expensive to be used for reasonable item storage early game, and by the mid to late game you need to brute force a ton of boards in order to store most valuable/common items. Reducing the costs would not only encourage people to use them as an alternative to Floor Storage Early game, but would also greatly help when you want to make a storage system early on.

Plus, it's a chest. A chest does not trivialize survival because you can now organize the 7 stacks of logs on the ground, and it being half price doesn't change that. In order to even use a large quantity of chests you also usually need to use minisigns/dropped items in order to indicate what chest stores what. Lowering the board cost would make dealing with the initial cost more reasonable, and slightly help with making the minisigns, but that's about it.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

I see people have this huuuuuge amount of chests and even chests dedicated to a single item. Usually I harvest only what I need when I need it so I never tend to have a surplus of stuff. It really does boil down to time/resource management.

It does boil down to organization and your playstyle quite a bit. I usually bulk harvest to avoid repeating doing harvesting throughout the year, and having multiple chests does help with the influx of items that comes along with that. It also usually becomes a bit more valuable to dedicate chests to items later on, when you slowly get an excess of some resources (red/blue gems from hounds, rot from spoiled food, etc.)

1 hour ago, Friendly Grass said:

How inclined would klei be to actually implement something like this? Maybe if content was also added that gave more incentive for putting things in chests. That way it would accommodate all ranges of players. 

I'm not a fan of it being too forced since it would kill a lot of decoration potential (and lureplants do a good job with that already if you want to use 60% of the turfs...). I mainly see it as something for people that enjoy making mini bases before making a larger base without needing to drop everything on the ground, which doesn't exactly look fancy. 

6 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

I'm not a fan of it being too forced since it would kill a lot of decoration potential (and lureplants do a good job with that already if you want to use 60% of the turfs...). I mainly see it as something for people that enjoy making mini bases before making a larger base without needing to drop everything on the ground, which doesn't exactly look fancy.

That’s true we do already have lureplants, moleworms, and catcoons.

• 64 bit
  • Dedicated server hosting improvements
    • Being able to individually turn on/off voting settings (kick, roll back).
    • Whitelist working properly (also adding option for whitelisted people to join even if server is full)

11 hours ago, TopNoob said:

A sketch book that gathers all your sketches

I think A portable container like tackle box does have so many possibilities, for example like a gem box for ruins rushers, or a box for Wigfrid's battle songs.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:37 AM, W0l0l0 said:

Some things I came up with:

Mobs being able to retarget and hit players that they're not even facing. 

Speeding up the animation to activate a crock pot so it's comparable to opening and pressing the "cook" button.

Being able to use Magiluminecence as goose?

The stupid pillars blocking the view in the Atrium.

Make Slurtle mounds able to regenerate health over time.

Remove small peninsulas in the caves that contain absolutely nothing of use. 

Allow Bernie to be shrunk on command. 

I get it, Winona gets hungry when working, she doesn't need to constantly tell us. 

Make boats, anchored or otherwise, come to a halt eventually.

Fixing that murm getting home issue I've heard so much about.

Structures requiring chronological order of placement for some reason for optimal compactness.

Some level of control over Maxwell's shadows.

That's off the top of my head. More gameplay involved but I'd still consider most of these suggestions quality of life. 

19 hours ago, Slagger said:

1) Skin Symmetry Fix
Some of DST skins (cool ones) have unsymmetric views like one-eyed glasses of Maxwell & Wilson, one eyed Wilson skin, default Wurt skin and most of gladdiator skins. They use same sprites for right and left views. Maybe it's a small detail for you but it's really annoying for me like how some of people freak out of moving head animations. If it could be fixed, I would be REALLY happy to see it fixed. Also @Fynd (he/she probably died) made a joke about it few years ago.

wotdefock.pngconclusion.png

I was told by one developer also known as Peter that with the current animation system they have it's not possible to happen.

Current system mirrors the side view

The first thing I wish the QOL would give us, is the ability to remove/give players perms/abilities, such as the removal of actions such as burning player made structures, I can’t tell you how much I get griefed and how many times I’m actually able to rollback before it happened, it really annoys me and makes this wonderful game less entertaining.

The second thing is (Not sure if it is for all plataforms) is so that once leaving a world, be it yours of someone else, you dont get immediately logged out of online game play, I’m in console, and everytime I leave a world, it brings me to the main log in page, making me have to log in all over again. This is not much of a problem, but its these little things that make a difference.

The third and last thing is (Console/PS4 players mainly) is the bug in where sometimes you can kick/ban players, your game either only lets you kick some, and when trying to kick others it doesn’t let you, it does not let you even get to the button to do it, these is a major problem as it makes grieving much more viable in PS4 if in these right conditions.

Adjust art and gameplay design.

Wigfrid now has two mechanics to treat her health in battle. The fictional creature based on fish drop forg leg. Feather hat as a more expensive item but have nothing to Wicker's book. Glommer still almost uesless. In the past most meat doesn't restore lot sanity, you must farming to obtain sanity food, now meat food can meet almost every need, but vegetarian dishes remain the same. Survival mode and endless mode. Over the course of the DS nearly ten years, some old design became weird and meanless. They need some adjustment to adapt to today's circumstances.

The same thing happened with art, Wurt's hat/hemlet, New skin in classic skin collection, Wurt victorian skin tail, Difference in style between werebeaver and two new wereform, Beefalo skin anim, Wendy nostalgic skin hair, Ancient archive, Frozen malbatross.....These disharmony about the difference between old and new art styles make me uncomfortable.

22 hours ago, Slagger said:

1) Skin Symmetry Fix
Some of DST skins (cool ones) have unsymmetric views like one-eyed glasses of Maxwell & Wilson, one eyed Wilson skin, default Wurt skin and most of gladdiator skins. They use same sprites for right and left views. Maybe it's a small detail for you but it's really annoying for me like how some of people freak out of moving head animations. If it could be fixed, I would be REALLY happy to see it fixed. Also @Fynd (he/she probably died) made a joke about it few years ago.

wotdefock.pngconclusion.png

they said "not possible with engine" or whatever but all you need is a duplicate atlas with right facing textures instead of left or whatever and then apply it when needed, I saw a post on how to do it for custom characters somewhere

I'm not sure how exactly to balance this, but I'd really like it if the lazy forager didn't pick up junk like rot. One of my favorite things to do later-game is set up farms of various sorts, and the LF is a real life-saver for gathering loot from some of them. But those farms also usually result in a bunch of rot being produced, and the LF ends up having a LOT of its uses used up on gathering it.

The problem is, I'm not sure where exactly you'd put the line between junk and good loot. But honestly just the exclusion of rot would be enough for me.

Besides that, my #1 want for a long time has been letting multiple people access a storage/tool inventory at the same time, and I'm so happy that was just added.

Archived