JazzyGames

How to Change World Settings on your Dedicated Server

JazzyGames    1214

Hey thought I'd drop a guide I made right here on changing your world's settings via worldgenoverride.lua. Big thanks to @Electroely for posting the full list of overrides up here!

For those who were already using worldgenoverride.lua, this won't be anything new. But for the rest of us who were copy/pasting leveldataoverride.lua, this guide takes you step-by-step through creating your own worldgen files.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chaosmonkey    27

Great guide, Jazzy! Is there something you have to do for the server to actually load worldgenoverride.lua? I haven't been able to get overrides to load from there, but leveldataoverrides.lua works just fine. I know Zark has said that the latter is not for player user, but I 100% can't get worldgenoverride to work on my cluster.

Raiden_Sola    11
3 hours ago, jwilm said:

Great guide, Jazzy! Is there something you have to do for the server to actually load worldgenoverride.lua? I haven't been able to get overrides to load from there, but leveldataoverrides.lua works just fine. I know Zark has said that the latter is not for player user, but I 100% can't get worldgenoverride to work on my cluster.

It should just be as simple as delete the leveldata one and drop in the worldgen version of the file (There isn't actually any coding we do as serverOps that have to be programmed to tell our servers to look for either file, at least that I remember or found).  Jazzy's got a very good video on his channel for initial server setup, it helped me solve some other issues I was having with my server and mods, might be worth a shot going through your files while watching the video and see if something got missed in the setup.

Parusoid    828

It does not work for me
I tried with worldgenoverride.lua and worldgenoverrides.lua but the changes are not reflected on dedicated server's settings page

Also i noticed that a line "KLEI 1" is sometimes added to the file without me doing anything

Edited by Parusoid

cezarica    532

Where are the settings for the stuff that where introduced with the March QoL update? I mean this stuff:

- Extra Starting Resources. New players joining a world after day 10 will start with a few extra resources to make up for the starting area being most likely picked clean.
- Seasonal Starting Items. New players joining a world that is not in autumn will receive a basic seasonal clothing item to help them survive long enough to get started.
- Spawn Protection. When a player spawns in, if there are too many structures near the spawn point or if there are hostile creatures, the player will gain a temporary buff that allows them to walk through structures and prevents them from being targeted.

I don't care about the 'Drop Items on Despawn', hence why i didn't mention it.

JazzyGames    1214
8 hours ago, cezarica said:

Where are the settings for the stuff that where introduced with the March QoL update?

It's all on Electroely's list.

Extra Starting Resources is "extrastartingitems"
Season Starting Items is "seasonalstartingitems"
Spawn Protection is "spawnprotection"

cezarica    532

Totally missed those. :wilson_facepalm: Thanks!

Edit: So, according to that list should i take it if the lines are missing from my worldgenoverride.lua (cos I haven't updated the file when this stuff was introduced) are set by default to their default values or need to add them with the default values to be taken into consideration?

Edited by cezarica