Pulstar    41

Alas poor HYEP! we knew you kind of well. :ambivalence:

The HYEP! is dead, long live the radbolt I guess.

Beeta Hive name change makes sense. People would call it that anyway.

Edited by Pulstar

JRup    239

@Ipsquiggle: Should I re-post the bug report about nuclear waste not staying inside liquid reservoirs into the spaced out! bug tracker...? I had posted it inside the main game tracker thread in error.

pether    670

@Ipsquiggle new space tech building is very confusing to use. Nothing says or indicates it must be built inside the rocket and it is impossible to build it outside. Can you please move it to Rocketry building menu to avoid confusion? It doesn't really make sense to put rocketry buildings outside that menu...

Also - Virtual Planetariums are still a thing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nuclearpower    30

I will have to quit my Job when there will be a Cluster coming out that has a Radiation World Start. Thank you so much for this peace of Art ! 

• GL Happy 1

aresd    375
52 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Renamed "HEP" to "Radbolt"
  • Renamed "Particle Generator" to "Radbolt Generator"
  • Renamed "Particle Redirector" to "Radbolt Reflector"
  • Renamed "Beetafinery" to "Beeta Hive"
  • Replacing placeholder strings

Tough day)

• Haha 1

Tofiel    16

@Ipsquiggle Different materials letting pass radiation at different rate. Does that mean the energy is absorbed by those materials? It would be an interesting mechanics that even depleted uranium needs to be maintained not just dumped out of reach of duplicants. To prevent abuse the heating should also have a logarithmic curve in equation (the hotter it is the less gets heated by absorbing radiation). would be also nice to archive temperatures that melts abyssalite but not so easy i.e. reactor explosion gives small 1-tile radius temperature damage. Tough trade is the name of the game here.

Edited by Tofiel
  • Big Ups 1

babba    1389
9 minutes ago, aresd said:

Tough day)

image.png.28eda68456f360f285de27931d66ad4f.png

One day we may find the Hydrocacti we always had been looking for.

Edited by babba

Sigmok    48
1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Renamed "HEP" to "Radbolt"

Alas, poor Duplicants! I knew it, HEP: a resource
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: it hath
borne me in my research a thousand times

• Haha 2
  • Big Ups 1

Steve8    265
1 hour ago, pether said:

Also - Virtual Planetariums are still a thing

I hope it stays in some way. I guess they wanted to make research rockets more interesting. Doing science in space fits with real life space exploration. But the planetarium has one of the coolest animations in the game. Would be bad to lose that

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

zerstrick    28

Hi I think something is missing here, perhaps a string. (when you click on the door)

falta un string.jpg

Edited by zerstrick

MrAnimaniac    3

So… we’ve quite a collection of suits now. Perhaps I do not have enough experience yet but for me it looks like the lead suite equals or outperforms the normal atmo suit in every aspect, except size and power. Hereby I have not yet witnessed the effect of a suite without power, but I would assume walking gets to a crawling.
Within the first two planetoids, you will get everything you need for lead suits without a hassle. Jet suits as well, but it is more likely to have a scalding dupe first. That leaves – at least for a slow player – atmo suits to be the hardest to come by as you need to visit the third asteroid.
For me that feels somewhat off. I would prefer that both lead and jet suits need reed fiber to be produced.
However, I’m quite aware that I might be in the minority here and the size of the setup itself is also enough incentive to change unnecessary lead suite arrangements to atmo suites as soon as reed fiber is available.

Totally disconnected: rad is an old CGS unit. As a physicist I needed to look it up. You should consider using gray, at least in the SI modus. Though, mGy might be favourable as the numbers stay scarry. ^^  

MrAnimaniac    3

And a second disconnected point: contamination germs:

As contamination manifests itself as germs, you can counteract it with any kind of disease. So, a pair of buddy buds is enough to prevent air contamination. (In a more general picture, I have the impression that the germs on the right side always win a competition, independent of their number. So even without buddy buds this could be exploited for decontamination.) This is way too easy. Perhaps you could make contamination germs to be the super bug, killing off every other kind of germ that might occupy the same space? Effectively, this hands us a way to sterilize but with the hassle of radiation sickness if things go wrong. Just like in real live.
Though I don’t like this detail to much, the radiation itself could be used to achieve this by simply adding chlorine-like sterilization effects to it.

A different approach I doubt strongly now as I am finished would be to introduce “corrupted” variations of normal germs. For example: radiated floral scent. It does not only tinkle your nose, but also kills you from the inside.
Those corrupted variations keep the traits of their ancestors. So, they cause their normal dupe effect like “smelled flower” or “slime lung” and have a specific rad per germ ratio (rads/germ). They would be spawned if any germ overwrites contamination or vice versa. As the rads ought to be constant, the proportion of the rads/germ-ratios define the number of spawned variation germs.
However, this will lead to the following behaviour: In the case of n_contamination << n_other, you end up with heavy drop in germ count aka sterilization. For n_contamination >> n_other, with radiation fueled “mutated” growth of germs. Honestly, this is the opposite of what would naturally happen. Heavy radiation and only a few germs will render the likelihood of successful mutation and thriving under the changed conditions at null whereas only slight radiation and a lot of germs renders a high probability of successful mutation. But at least it keeps the rads constant. A way around would be to not add a fixed but flexible rad/germ ratio, but I assume this is equivalent to the introduction auf several variations of the same disease and perhaps computational annoying.
The fun, however, does not stop here. To not drown in rads or help the rads to fall down to fast, the variations need the die-off-rate, overwriting behaviour as well as inability to reproduce by themselves of the contamination germs. Without further ado, for the most cases this model will simply lead to sterilization. Only much more inconveniently complex than the super-bug approach. Therefore, my doubts about this idea.

Concluding the best approach would be to clone the disease layer of the simulation exclusively for radiation. Radiation and diseases could flourish without competing. However, as this could have been done before for each and every disease, I fear this is to resource thirsty?

• Like 2