QuQuasar

How do you transition from Nomad to Base?

QuQuasar    811

I find I've gotten quite good at the first 12 days of the game: I can mostly circumnavigate the world, pre-build all the components of a base and tend to have a decent number of the most important crafting ingredients by the time I'm ready to settle.

In theory, at this point I'm set. I have everything I could possibly need to settle and 8 whole days to find and establish a base of operations before winter. Yet somehow all my efficiency goes out the window as soon as I reach this point. I waste time being indecisive about base location and structure placement, take multiple trips just to collect a few live rabbits or bee's, forget to carry food and frequently die to silly mistakes before I get resurrection set up.

So I'm wondering what strategies others adopt during late-autumn. Do you consider bee boxes more or less of a priority than magic, food farms, resource farms, spelunking, or something else entirely?

• Like 3

ill just have a temporary base early on . so no hardcore farming set up like grass twig berry not even think farming bees (except my friend decided to do that) . i usually use woody so can rush lunar for OP stone fruit bushes . kill bq and dragonfly. . then continue explore map waiting for walrus respawn . after opening all map, i pretty much decided where to base permanently . 

my temporary base
crockpots . icebox . alchemy. shadowmanipulator . birdcage . firepit . 
i rarely make any chest early.
a tinktank probably if i need a boat bridge image.thumb.png.9944dde505f2887ac4760d61d850c55e.png

lol day 544 1 chest for my precious festive light

Edited by prettynuggets
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

Mike23Ua    9638

Most nomads never build a base, well at least not the types of bases most forum members create.

For Me: Base is a cooking pot, a Campfire and maybe a Fridge: As a Solo player mostly: That’s it that’s all I ever need

So to answer your question: You build multiple small bases like that all over the map and then you Nomad around but if the weather seasons or something else happens- you already got “Camps” scattered around the map to take sanctuary within.

For me my bases never have to exceed the size of a single flingomatic machine- That includes all the “Extra” things I’d want to put in it too (such as a fully assembled Ancient Fossil skeleton) 

I may have Multiple “camps” that each are protected by one flingo in range: But I NEVER build those huge massive 10,000+ day world cities.

Coming from Dont Starve Solo: or More accurately DS Solo’s Adventures Mode- Building a base that sprawls the entire map was highly discouraged... and the objective of the game was to rush to find the wooden things and get to the next chapter as quickly as possible.

This mindset never changed for me: Even though there’s NOT an Adventures mode for DST: I never Settle down and build base- I’m always on the move always exploring new biomes and content: And I’m hopeful that’s the direction Klei plans to continue to extend the game in.

I have a boat now and in Theory can sail anywhere Klei feels they want to take us, now I’m just begging them to add a bunch of content rich islands all over the empty oceans to give me a reason to WANT to go sailing.

A Mindset that “Building Base & Settling Down” Does not fit into.

I guess the TL:DR- Base for a Nomad is anywhere they want base to be & with as little structures as they deem necessary.

• Like 4

JosePapp    799

I just focus on the essentials,  which are basically the engine, at least one crock pot, ice box and some chests. I really like decorating my bases, but brushing that aside, once I got the essentials going I can start tackling other helpful, but not imperative things like magic, drying racks or in your case honey if you dig it. 

Base on a centric location, take advantage of wormholes, but don't overthink it. Worst case scenario you just gotta walk more or use flingos on summer depending on where you base.

• Like 2

GelatinousCube    635

Having renewable food sources and being close to the core essential resources you need early on is pretty important. Pretty much if you can live in your base then you know you can continue to build and expand and only need to leave when you want to.

Bee Boxes are pretty dope, if you have a handful set up and aren't playing as Wigfrid you can easily live off honey alone - it restores health and hunger and you can use a Tam or whatever for sanity if need be.

GenomeSquirrel    1031

The laziest choice is to build near pig king, its pig houses are a great source of food, armor and weapons. Just remember catcoons and moles are thieves.

Dragonfly desert is a good choice as well, continual source or twigs, grass, gears, and other resources

Bee queen is decent if you have bee boxes, you won’t need to plant as many flowers.

Honestly anything can work, a few spider dens are ice are good enough for surviving winter.

• Like 1

Notecja    1861

Usually I set autumn, winter and spring a bit longer to have more time for everything and to do not rush base. 

Recently I discovered egde of rock biome as a place for starting/temporary base (in my case worldgen was so good it was a good place even for permanent base) because rock turf is good as protection against eye-plants and for having mess without chests (and for turning into paths), some starting easy rocks, close to ice without pengulls, little to none of unwanted tree expansions/invasions. Buzzards may be annoying or additional food source. 

gaymime    5052

i know this is aside from the point but you sound like you would do well to continue playing nomad -shrugs-

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Owlrus    4266

Typically I prioritize the immediate dangers and hurdles in the oncoming days and seasons, and then sandwich-in my own personal goals.

For example, I know Winter is coming in 8 days so I need to make sure I have the essentials for surviving Winter at its minimum.

• Do I have a way to keep myself warm? (could be anything from a thermal stone, to keeping a fire lit with warm gear)
  • Can I get myself food when things are frozen over?
  • Do I have a way to deal with hound waves and Deerclops?

During Winter I know Spring is around the corner so I, once again, make sure I have the bare minimum I need to survive mother nature alone.

• Do I have access to lightning rods to prevent lightning strikes?
  • Do I have access to water-resistant clothing (ie: Umbrella/Football helmet, Eyebrella, Rain Coat, etc.)
  • Do I have a way to deal with hound waves?

I then prep for Summer briefly and do whatever else I want to, followed by Autumn and so forth.

If I can confidently say "Yes" to most of the questions I listed (don't worry about being confident answering them all) then I focus on the next season until I am so reliably prepped for the immediate threats I can easily find way to doing things like defeating Klaus or Dragonfly. What I found that has helped me was to adopt a mindset of "Compensate the Seasons before myself". Other than that, you can really get away with a lot of things as long as you have a weapon, food, and armor within your reach at all times. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

• Like 2

BeeClops    1018

Personally, I try not too put too much pressure on myself with the location and layout of the first base. If I'm going to play the world long enough I know I will probably redesign everything later; So I'm very ok with being messy af and close to whatever interests me in the short term for the first few seasons or so.

Edited by BeeClops
  • Like 2

Well-met    5102

yeah just make a temporary camp to prototype things with. If you're fast enough you could pitchfork the layout of your base before snow comes in, but in my experience I always wait until spring for that part

• Big Ups 1

RoughCactus69    330

I have a thing I posted in a forum a few weeks ago. It's a timeline on how I plan my first 21 days out. (Autumn) 

Welp. Here it is!

I have a perfectly timed timeline with resources and everything. Well..... Let's go!

My method is optimal with at least 3 people, but can work with 2, or even 1 person.

Day 1-5: This is mainly for collecting Resources for a base, while exploring the map for a decent location.

RESOURCES: 

• 120 Rocks
  • 60-80 Logs
  • 60-80 Grass AND Twigs
  • 32 Charcoal
  • Whatever else your stinky self can carry

Day 6-7: This is base set up time.

STRUCTURES: 

• 1 Alchemy Engine
  • 1 Rain-o-meter (Don't judge me, I know it's pointless, but it looks nice!)
  • 1 Thermal Measurer (Don't judge me, I know it's pointless, but it looks nice!)
  • 1 Firepit
  • 4 Crockpots
  • 4 Drying Racks
  • (IF YOU GOT GEARS!) 1-3 fridge(s)

Day 8-10: Time Off. Have Fun!

• More Base Orginazation
  • Chests
  • Tents
  • Yada-yada

Day 11-12: Butterfly Time

Make sure to make a butterfly farm. You should have plenty of left other materials. Hopefully......

• 2 Rope
  • 4 Twigs
  • 4 Silk

This is mostly just for a filler farm. If you have a Wortox, forget about Peirogi.

Day 13-17: Mostly time off, but also get prepared for Dragonfly.

• Helmets
  • Spears
  • Healing
  • Panflute
  • Walls (Either Box Method or Wall Method)

Day 18: Dragonfly:

Use those leftover rocks for Dragonfly walls. 4 people minimum so you don't get slammed ya' nooby!

Again, there are two main methods. Wall, and Box. If you do box, PLEASE have that Pan Flute ready. Make sure you ring it when it gets enraged.

Day 19-21: Prepare for Winter:

Thingy says it all. Stock up on food, get a thermal stone, and prepare for Walrus's.

WELL! That sure was long! Hope you guys find this useful......

Sincerely,

Cactus

• Health 1

Cr4zyFl4mes    208

1) I have a general rule, base in the middle of the map. So unless there is clearly a better spot like swamp, desert and PK being close to each other i don't think about base location too much.

2) Don't be afraid to build science machine as soon as possible to prototype shovel, spear, log suit, backpack (maybe crock pot and alchemy). It costs only 2 wood and 2 stone if you hammer it afterwards. Similarly don't be afraid to build alchemy only to protoype football helmet, ham bat, lanter and maybe golden tools. Again, you can hammer it afterwards so it costs only 2 gold nuggets, 6 stones and 8 logs to prototype these items.

3) Don't rush it all. Collecting both bees and rabbits sounds unnecessary. Each game pick one strategy - rushing magic, or Lunar island, or building bee boxes or farms or drying racks or anything else.

Anyway, those were just my 2 (or 3 cents). Just keep playing and even if these tips didn't work for you, you'll figure it out eventually ;)

• Like 3

Rylanor    91

I have similar problems with late-autumn too: lack of motivation and ideas. Usually I do two things:

>Design core of a future base, a very center with everything i need to survive and with posibility to expand base in all directions. Sometimes its tricky, you just place Alchemy Engine, craft pitchfork and have no idea what`s next, but I normaly just either start doing it a bit random and then advancing some random ideas or if I play online: ask people to craft chests/crockpots and place them anywhere, its much easier to design when there isn't a blank space, but something already in place.

>Just craft chests and crockpots and do "nomad base", 3x3 or 4x4 in size with needed minimum: 9 chests, Alchemy Engine + Shadow Manipulator and 2 crockpots with 1 fridge. Later i can either continue adding more to that place or just make a new, fancier base with better design somewhere else, leaving this base as camp

After that I never stand too much at base, i quickly stop progressing and getting into comfort zone, so I think of tasks for myself like farm silk or beefalo wool and just... play and relax :)

• Like 2

Friendly Grass    151

I love how everyone has their own priorities in the early game that fit their play style! Personally I usually like to spend almost all of the first autumn nomadic: gathering resources, and hammering all the pig houses. Lately now that I’ve learned beefalo taming mechanics I’ve been playing around with rushing a beefalo and am really enjoying that.

I suggest to not feel like you’re wasting time once you’ve made necessary preparations. Also, build something because you have plans to use it. Rush magic if you want early access to dark swords, ice staves, extra panflutes, or life giving amulets. Experiment with different food sources and farms to find what you most enjoy.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

I find I've gotten quite good at the first 12 days of the game: I can mostly circumnavigate the world, pre-build all the components of a base and tend to have a decent number of the most important crafting ingredients by the time I'm ready to settle.

In theory, at this point I'm set. I have everything I could possibly need to settle and 8 whole days to find and establish a base of operations before winter. Yet somehow all my efficiency goes out the window as soon as I reach this point. I waste time being indecisive about base location and structure placement, take multiple trips just to collect a few live rabbits or bee's, forget to carry food and frequently die to silly mistakes before I get resurrection set up.

So I'm wondering what strategies others adopt during late-autumn. Do you consider bee boxes more or less of a priority than magic, food farms, resource farms, spelunking, or something else entirely?

ill say uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh yeah this is maybe a good spot? and just plop something down and then realize its a **** spot so its probably best to just say "oasis" and call it a day

• Like 1

QuQuasar    811

Alright then! I think the sensible thing to do would be to work this out with a list, so...

PRIORITIES!

1. Base. Need to be less picky: somewhere central with frog pond and sink hole access will do me fine. It really shouldn't take me more than 2 days to travel to location, pitchfork a template, plonk down my pre-built structures, prototype ice boxes, bird cage, bird trap and football helmet, and offload all the clutter in my inventory.

2. Bug collecting and berry bush transplanting. Day 18 is the latest I can put down bee boxes and berry bushes and expect to have a harvest before winter, so I need to be waiting by the beehives as soon as morning arrives and try to get all my bug collecting done before next morning. 2 bug nets = 8 bee's, 10 butterflies, 2 fireflies = 2 bee boxes + flowers, 2 miners hats. I should also carry a shovel for uprooting berry bushes, saplings and grass tufts. Pillage the meadows!

If all goes well, I should have all these in place by around day 16. If I still have time, I'll try to make a little bait pen for gobblers.

3. Tree Farm. A growing base uses a lot of wood, plus I'll want some passive treeguards around by the time Deerclops arrives, so I should at the very least plant any pinecones I have in stock (I usually have a stack of 40 from my base-grinding session earlier). Let's call this day 17, though planting some pinecones really should only take the morning.

4. Meat. At this point the majority of spider dens in the world should be tier 3, so I can go collect some monster meat and bring home a spider egg to farm during winter. Hopefully there will be one nearby.

This is probably also a good time to craft and fill up a watering can and stockpile some frogs legs. Neither of those resources will be available in a few days time.

5. Magic. Let's face it: the only magic I care about is resurrection: the rest are great for the specific situations they're needed in, but resurrection is a passive, always-on benefit and the difference between permadeath and simply losing a life to boot.

So let's assume day 19 goes to trapping 4 rabbits and constructing a prestihatitator. Then, I can dedicate whatever time remains to one of two strategies:
  • Graverobbing. Dig up graves for red gems and to lower my sanity to summon some shadow critters. Fairly safe so long as I make sure I have sanity restoratives on hand. Digging the graves also has a chance of giving a life giving amulet, shortcutting the whole process.
  • Beardlord hunting. Take some glommers goop into the caves and do a quick run looking for bunnymen hutches. I only need to kill 2 beardlords to afford an effigy. If I hammer down their homes too I will have the resources for a hutch that I can put alongside the spider nest or sink hole.

By the time I get resurrection set up I suspect winter will be well underway, so the game will continue with winter activities like ice cutting, koalaphant hunting, walrus hunting and deerclops hunting added to the todo list.

• Sanity 1

valcross07    4

I usually just make a small base near Mactusk camps on the first winter. Then I go find a nice spot in spring. Usually in a biome beside or with easy access to two good biomes. My current base is lucky. Oasis is beside a swamp which has triple Mactusk on the other side. While a nearby wormhole goes to the pig king and dfly desert. I just build rafts to cross the rivers separating the biomes to make it easier.

QuQuasar    811

Welp, it mostly worked. Having a plan certainly helped, but everything took just a little bit longer than expected and it's hard to keep everything in your head when you're on the clock. Plus I needed to make an unscheduled trip for beefalo wool since I forgot to shave any during my travels (note to self: do not put razor, or any tool for that matter, in Chester).

Nevertheless, I got as far as the prestihatitator before winter hit. I'll just have to do a bit of grave robbing during my start-of-winter koalafant hunt to get my hands on a life giving amulet.

Chesmu    212

I never take Basing as the target goal, but instead what I will gain from basing; If you categorize the stuff earned, for example Storage, Tools, Advanced tools that need more rarer resources, then you are having a clear image of what you need to do next.

The way I manage it is by making multiple temporary bases made of Engines and Firepits, getting a category of stuff from it, then moving on, at the end when I'm finished getting all the required stuff, I will finally either go back to one of those temporary bases or a new location and make a decent one for storage, farming, and basically everything.

Here is all the stuff I personally target as needed: (Can survive with whatever play-style with these items playing as Woodie.)

Spoiler

• Backpack,
  • Golden Shovel,
  • Pickaxe
  • Golden Pickaxe
  • Spear
  • Football Helmet
  • Bug Net
  • Miner Hat
  • Boat unlocked.
  • Thermal Stone

Here is the routine I follow:

Spoiler

1. Collect ~40 of Cutgrass, Twigs, Flints, Stones and Logs.
  2. Collect at-least 12 Gold.
  3. [Temp1] Make Science Machine:
  4. Craft Backpack, Spear, Shovel, Alchemy Engine (Don't place).
  5. Leave the Machine, Collect 2 Silks and 4 Pig Skins
  6. Explore, collect more Gold on the way.
  7. [Temp2] Place Alchemy Engine:
  8. Craft Bug Net, Football Helmet, Golden Pickaxe, Golden Shovel, Thermal Stone (To unlock)
  9. Catch Some Fireflies.
  10. Collect more Cutgrass on the way.
  11. Craft Miner Hat.

And that's it.

Edited by Chesmu