Theukon-dos

Beefalo are almost really good now.

minespatch    83159
29 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

So, we've got a near-bottomless stomach on a creature that you never actually need to feed. Good thing there's nothing else linked to a beef's hunger, right? Nope! One of the 4 tendancies beefalo can have is Chubby. This is obtained by keeping hunger above 50% or overfeeding it. And it is G A R B A G E.

I think all creatures in the game need a hunger limit. Would save on food. Kind of hilarious when I debug in 100 or 200 dragonpies for a boof and they still act like my cats.

• Like 2

Theukon-dos    2969
18 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I think all creatures in the game need a hunger limit. Would save on food. Kind of hilarious when I debug in 100 or 200 dragonpies for a boof and they still act like my cats.

Eh. Beefalo already fart once their hunger gets too high, and turn any excess food to rot, last I checked.

The real issue is how fast their hunger drains.

• Thanks 1

Sunset Skye    11342
4 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

These two changes make Beefalo much more fluid and convenient to use. And have definitly pushed them into viability

What does "viable" mean in a sandbox game?

• Like 4

Milordo    174
1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

What does "viable" mean in a sandbox game?

it means something that is not garbage and wasting your time, speaking of.....

5 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

IV. Conclusion.

So finally. What all do I think needs changed with Beefalo domestication?

1. Reduce hunger drain to something closer to 2x instead of 4x.

2. Buff the Pudgy beefalo. A higher sanity aura is the obvious change, but given that Pudgy Beefs are the only kind of Beefalo that actually require resource investment, I think they need a new bonus entirely.

3. Allow Beefalo to be effected by Roads and Cobblestones

4. Buff the Glossamer saddle.

5. MAKE THE STUPID AS HUNK OF MEAT NOT RUN AWAY WHILE I'M TRYING TO FEED OR RIDE IT BY THE NINE CIRCLES OF HELL PLEASE!

The beefalo domestication it's still a chore. When the event came up i was radiant postive energy and happy for an overhaul of this forgotten mechanic. Apart from the fact domestication wasn't reworked, the bell helps a bit, that's true but we need to consider that it's part of the event, not the domestication itself, so we don't know if it will stay in the game.

I studied in every way this mechanic, watch every videos that people of this community suggested me, forums, wiki, .... nothing, the domestication is really still teadious, annoying, slow and painful. We tried and tested in our megabase, holy starve i would never try it in a new world. Not to mention if we look with a critic eye all this mechanic is one of the few things where klei didn't put love, interest and work (example: a lot, a lot of bugs, your beefalo try to kill you if you kill some wild beefalo, you can hit you beefalo without knowning 

In the end i'm sorry @Theukon-dos but i think nobody will still try this forgotten broken mechanic (not me for sure) if Klei not only balance what already you stated but even fix all the other problems. However the bell will not be forgotten, if it klei decides to be implemented and many people, even me, will use it only to reproduce more beefaloes and create cave beefaloes, not to ride one.

Can i ask why tho you titled "Beefalo are almost really good now" ????   They always been useful in the game.

Sunset Skye    11342
5 minutes ago, Milordo said:

How do you waste your time in a sandbox game, though? There's no goal or way to win and there's nobody you're competing against, so there's really no such thing as wasting time unless you're not having fun, in which case you can just not engage with the thing that isn't fun for you/try to find a way to use the mechanics involved to make the thing more fun for you.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 3

Milordo    174
8 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

How do you waste your time in a sandbox game, though? There's no goal or way to win and there's nobody you're competing against, so there's really no such thing as wasting time unless you're not having fun, in which case you can just not engage with the thing that isn't fun for you/try to find a way to use the mechanics involved to make the thing more fun for you.

Nothing wasting your time? So you cook every time all dishes in the game for your survival or instead cook the same pierogis , meatballs, honey hams and others few dishes?  You use every clothing in the game for surviving all seasons or use the same eyebrella, tam o' shanter and thermal stone? You use every piece of armors and weapons in the game and strategically change them or use the same football helmets, dark swords, ham bats and others few armors?

Don't justify when something is weak, unbalanced and useless with "you're not having fun". Btw, it's fun for you knowning that all that fancy clothings you can use are useless and literally wasting your time?

• Wavey 1

Cr4zyFl4mes    205

I could get behind 1,3,5.

For my opinion on point 4 see SonicDen220's anwer.

And my opinion on point 2 is that you failed to consider the main point of pudgy beef. It is the cutest one.
I don't think every thing in DST is there to help a player (like sanity aura), rather it's there for each and every player's individual reason like:

1) having a challenge - getting pudgy beef could be a goal you set for yourself at the start of a game.

2) It's fun to be around - you can like how it looks, how it behaves etc...

3) showing off - what's a better way to show others that you are able to take care of hungry players than making enough food for a "4x the hunger drain beast".

Thinking about it now, i probably disagree with lowering the hunger drain as well. Maybe to only 3x.

Edited by Cr4zyFl4mes
change of mind

Well-met    5073
4 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

1) having a challenge - getting pudgy beef could be a goal you set for yourself at the start of a game.

3) showing off - what's a better way to show others that you are able to take care of hungry players than making enough food for a "4x the hunger drain beast".

this is most definitely not how videogames work. or anywhere else in life for that matter.

People want to reap good rewards for their considerable effort. The context doesn't matter.

Theukon-dos    2969
3 hours ago, Milordo said:

The beefalo domestication it's still a chore. When the event came up i was radiant postive energy and happy for an overhaul of this forgotten mechanic. Apart from the fact domestication wasn't reworked, the bell helps a bit, that's true but we need to consider that it's part of the event, not the domestication itself, so we don't know if it will stay in the game.

I studied in every way this mechanic, watch every videos that people of this community suggested me, forums, wiki, .... nothing, the domestication is really still teadious, annoying, slow and painful. We tried and tested in our megabase, holy starve i would never try it in a new world. Not to mention if we look with a critic eye all this mechanic is one of the few things where klei didn't put love, interest and work (example: a lot, a lot of bugs, your beefalo try to kill you if you kill some wild beefalo, you can hit you beefalo without knowning 

In the end i'm sorry @Theukon-dos but i think nobody will still try this forgotten broken mechanic (not me for sure) if Klei not only balance what already you stated but even fix all the other problems. However the bell will not be forgotten, if it klei decides to be implemented and many people, even me, will use it only to reproduce more beefaloes and create cave beefaloes, not to ride one.

Ok. See, Here's the thing though.

Beefalo taming isn't and shouldn't be something that you just go out of your way to do. As someone who's been taming Beefalo for my last few worlds, you want to think of them like a walking cane, in a sense. That is to say, bring them everywhere.

A beefalo does not need to be fully tamed to be useful. While they will throw you off quite frequently in the early days, by the time you reach about 10-20% domestication, You can go about a minute or two without getting thrown off. And this number only increases as you ride them more and domestication increases. 

Hell, This is one of the reasons that being able to pick things while riding a beefalo is so good is because you can be constantly picking grass and twigs to keep it's obedience up. Especially if you tame a beefalo early game, where you're going to be constantly riding it as you explore the map 

Seriously, try it out the next time you start a world. Make a saddle when you get an alchemy engine and start the domestication process early. I promise you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Can i ask why tho you titled "Beefalo are almost really good now" ????   They always been useful in the game.

Before the YOTB, They where really only good for transporting heavy objects. You couldn't bring them through wormholes, you couldn't bring them into caves, and you had to dismount them any time you actually wanted to do anything. YOTB and the Beefalo bell have massively broadened their use and made them quite nice to have.

1 hour ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

I could get behind 1,3,5.

For my opinion on point 4 see SonicDen220's anwer.

And my opinion on point 2 is that you failed to consider the main point of pudgy beef. It is the cutest one.
I don't think every thing in DST is there to help a player (like sanity aura), rather it's there for each and every player's individual reason like:

Thinking about it now, i probably disagree with lowering the hunger drain as well. Maybe to only 3x.

I can get behind the pudgy beefalo being a trophy tame. But in that case then I'd still like it to be an upgrade to the default beefalo. Or atleast not be slower than it.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

Mike23Ua    9598

My biggest problem with the Beefalo Bell & all the new features that Year of the Beefalo brought: is that it makes getting a walking cane Pointless.

The only use I can see a Walking Cane having anymore is maybe during a Boss Fight.

But the Difference here: You can ring a simple bell & have your Beefalo friend follow you, you can also quickly craft a saddle & from that point forward reap all the benefits of a Walking Cane while never getting off your Beefalo (except for the few times it bucks you for not being fully tamed yet)

To even get the Walking Cane.. you have to either luck up on it in a failed survivor set piece or wait until Winter & go kill MacTusks for their Tusks.

Do you guys NOT see the problem here? MacTusks are my least favorite enemy mob in the entire game: and as a result I rarely RARELY Ever had a Tam’o or Walking Cane- But NOW Beefalo completely eliminates the need to even go after Walking Cane at all unless I want to use it in a boss fight or something.

Theukon-dos    2969
1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

My biggest problem with the Beefalo Bell & all the new features that Year of the Beefalo brought: is that it makes getting a walking cane Pointless.

The only use I can see a Walking Cane having anymore is maybe during a Boss Fight.

But the Difference here: You can ring a simple bell & have your Beefalo friend follow you, you can also quickly craft a saddle & from that point forward reap all the benefits of a Walking Cane while never getting off your Beefalo (except for the few times it bucks you for not being fully tamed yet)

To even get the Walking Cane.. you have to either luck up on it in a failed survivor set piece or wait until Winter & go kill MacTusks for their Tusks.

Do you guys NOT see the problem here? MacTusks are my least favorite enemy mob in the entire game: and as a result I rarely RARELY Ever had a Tam’o or Walking Cane- But NOW Beefalo completely eliminates the need to even go after Walking Cane at all unless I want to use it in a boss fight or something.

Walking canes are much more versitile than beefalo, even if the beefs have a higher top speed.

Also, Pro-tip for dealing with Mactusks: They're teathered to their igloos, so if you run them far enough away, then they'll start ignoring you and walking back towards their house, basically giving you a free kill.

Notecja    1806
7 hours ago, Milordo said:

your beefalo try to kill you if you kill some wild beefalo

I think this is intended. We are forcing it to kill its family...

Edited by Notecja
  • Like 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Cheggf    2485
13 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

But a Tam already covers passive sanity loss 99% of the time.

A tam covers passive sanity loss 100% of the time. 6.7 is a greater number than 5 so even during the time you'd be losing sanity normally you'd still be gaining 1.7 per minute. The only way to go insane with a tam is if you're either basically never wearing it or doing extremely sanity intensive things like kiting Deerclops with an axe.

13 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

No, no. It's not as not worth it as you think, it's even less worth it than that. For 68 butterfly wings, you can make a saddle that has a 55% speed boost. Pretty cool, right?

Now what if I told you that the default saddle, made with pigskin, gold, and wool, gives a 40% speed boost, thus meaning that all that investment is actually for a 15% speed boost?

15% of base speed, but I think a 15% speed boost is misleading. You're already going at 140% speed, so you're only relatively 10.7% faster.

• Like 1

Theukon-dos    2969
28 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

A tam covers passive sanity loss 100% of the time. 6.7 is a greater number than 5 so even during the time you'd be losing sanity normally you'd still be gaining 1.7 per minute. The only way to go insane with a tam is if you're either basically never wearing it or doing extremely sanity intensive things like kiting Deerclops with an axe.

15% of base speed, but I think a 15% speed boost is misleading. You're already going at 140% speed, so you're only relatively 10.7% faster.

1. Fair enough.

2. Thankyou for doing the math and proving my point even further

SinancoTheBest    3003
4 hours ago, themightyone said:

The Pudgy beef is a bit weak and could use a slight buff. I agree. One thing I thought would be nice would be to make the riders hunger loss cut in half while riding it. Kind of like a belt of hunger. It would be a solid perk but not too op. 

Awesome perk ideaa, would make me go for pudgy for a reason other than just to have one

i think as long as u riding the beefalo even he at 0 hunger point the domestication wont drop . when u not riding it give it salt lick . feed it some twig then mount him again ..

• Like 1

Theukon-dos    2969
1 hour ago, ButterStuffed said:

Pudgy beefalo could produce higher quality manure that could be used for farming.

Eh. you don't need much manure now that farms have been buffed. And even if you did, it's much easier and faster to just feed werepigs a comical amount of lightbulbs.

14 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

i think as long as u riding the beefalo even he at 0 hunger point the domestication wont drop . when u not riding it give it salt lick . feed it some twig then mount him again ..

Yes. I mentioned this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1