Pop Guy

Not very useful items and how to improve them.

Pop Guy    3900

Thulium Pick / Ax: Make it repairable with some of the materials needed to build it.
Gold Nugget: + 20% durability.
Thulecite Fragment: + 34% durability.
Thulecite: + 100% durability. (not optimal).

The Lazy Forager: make it repairable with the materials needed to build it:
Nightmare fuel: + 25% durability.
Thulecite: + 75% durability.
Orange Gem: + 100% durability.
Makes it possible to collect materials twice as fast.

The Lazy Explorer: make it repairable with some of the materials needed to build it:
Nightmare Fuel: + 25% durability.
Orange Gem: + 100% durability.
It ensures that it is not destroyed at 0 uses.

Thulecite Medallion: a new passive power; if kept in inventory during the nightmare phase, it provides 25% passive defense against shadow damage.

Magiluminescence: make it repairable even with yellow gems; + 100% durability. (This however remains very useful)
It ensures that it does not broke to 0 durability, but simply stops working.

Cookie Cutter Cap: Give it 90% defense.

Some very simple ideas on how to significantly improve some objects.

Edited by Pop Guy
  • Like 2

Pop Guy    3900
11 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Something I noticed is that the 70% defense armors klei has added has some sort of secondary perk (Bee Queen Crown, Bone Helmet) and I think itd be a good idea to keep going with that sorta game design. Maybe Caps arent really comparable to the Crown or Bone helmet since they're boss items but I still think itd be a good idea to give them a secondary perk.

In Shipwrecked the Booty Bag spontaneously generates doubloons. Some users have rightly pointed out that getting salt is a bit too expensive given its very modest uses (salt box aside). The Cookie Cutter Cap may spontaneously generate salt crystals, making it more easily accessible.

Edited by Pop Guy
  • Like 2

Hornete    7052
3 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

In Shipwrecked the Booty Bag spontaneously generates doubloons. Some users have rightly pointed out that getting salt is a bit too expensive given its very modest uses (salt box aside). The Cookie Cutter Cap may spontaneously generate salt crystals, making it more easily accessible.

I dont think thatd be the "right" way to making salt Crystal's more accessible and useful. I think I'd like to see just an easier/convenient way of grabbing items floating on the water from far away. That's always been the inconvenient part of salt harvesting for me. Perhaps fishing rods being able to grab items from far away, or that unimplemented fishing net.

• Like 2

Theukon-dos    2909

I see 0 reason to allow gem items to be repaired with the gems used to craft them. That just seems indefinitly more expensive than just using nightmare fuel.

• Like 2
  • Potato Cup 1

Pop Guy    3900
4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i like some ideas but the cost to repair those items is way to cheap imo

I think nightmares are not so easy to accumulate if you don't use some "tricks" such as mass killing of nightmare knights.
Personally I think it's too easy to get nightmares like that and it's not a system I want to practice.

3 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

I see 0 reason to allow gem items to be repaired with the gems used to craft them. That just seems indefinitly more expensive than just using nightmare fuel.

Orange gems always tend to pile up in my worlds, and other users say similar things too. Giving the possibility to use them as fuel seems useful to me. 

Edited by Pop Guy
  • Like 1

AlternateMew    723

Simply allowing the Lazy Forager to be refueled like the Magi has made it one of my new favorite items. And I'm stingy as heck with serverside mods. Only other one in use at the moment is Global Pause, and that's because I don't want to die if I need to afk for two minutes or spend 10 minutes shutting down and restarting the server for a single player world.

• Like 3

ArubaroBeefalo    7126
6 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

I think nightmares are not so easy to accumulate if you don't use some "tricks" such as mass killing of nightmare knights.
Personally I think it's too easy to get nightmares like that and it's not a system I want to practice.

me neither but 1/4 of durability for wasting 1 single NF on lazy explorer sounds way to cheap for such useful item that can be obtained for free with the cheap and dumb AG cheese

SinancoTheBest    2895

I don't think strictly making everything reparable is the most sensible approach here, seeing how most any tool and armor in the game is unrepairable. It certainly makes sense to make Lazy Forager refuellable and buff it in any other way: capacity/pick speed/range but Pick/Axe and Lazy Explorer can use other buffs.

I believe Pick/Axe would be a worthy item it actually had a significant durability. It should surpass golden tools, not just be an alternative of them; something like a Luxury version of luxury tools.

And for Lazy Explorer, while I don't have issues with the item, 20 telepoofs is very underwhelming, especially in today's DST where one of the characters can telepoof from day one, as many  souls as he has, build bridges over surface chasms and teleport infinitely to certain checkpoints using desert stones and Lazy deserter. Maybe more uses (perhaps 50 like Mooncaller Staff) would be in order or perhaps making it refuellable through the moon stone, perhaps through a ritual like Starcaller's, or Perhaps simply through socketing it for some time could be nice ideas to go with.

• Like 3

Sapientis    404

Having in mind some of costs present in DS (Vortex Cloak for example shows how cheap Nightmare Fuel is) I would rather see it like this:

Pick/Axe:
> Thulecite Fragment: +8% durability
> Thulecite: +48% durability 
(it makes it more efficient than crafting a new one, but I'm still biased on repairing tools like that)

The Lazy Forager:
> Nightmare fuel: + 6.(6)% durability (15 uses each)
> Orange Gem: + 100% durability.
Doesn't break at 0% plus a slight pick up range buff (150%?)

And before you decide to criticize me for too low refuel value consider this: Nightmare Fuel is a resource that can be farmed indefinitely, especially with recent change to Nightmare Creatures spawn mechanic. There's plenty of it in the ruins and you gather it passively whenever you don't wear Sanity restoring clothing (apart from Maxwell, but he can just farm it with his Shadows). Nightmare Fuel should never be a problem if you know how to play. Also I don't think Lazy Forager is for everyday gathering, on the contrary to its name. It was designed to pick up unreachable items, so make it reach a little bit further, some items drive me mad when they are between lands too close to build a boat and too far to reach with Lazy Forager.

The Lazy Explorer:
> Nightmare Fuel: + 5% durability
> Orange Gem: + 50% durability.
Doesn't break at 0%

Magiluminescence:
> Yellow Gems: + 100% durability
Doesn't break at 0%

Cookie Cutter Cap:
> Water Resistance increased to 65% or at least 50%
This way this niche item would gain some special use during rain (standing under a tree or with a Pretty Parasol would provide 100% water resistance) because let's be honest, it's a poor armor which is also much harder to get and stock in bigger amounts

OR
> Crafting recipe: 1 Cookie Cutter Shell + 1 Rope
> Durability decreased to  ~150
This way it becomes a cheaper variant of Football Helmet

• Like 3

Souper    191
7 hours ago, Freshness said:

People are only really talking about the obvious ones so far, but what about some of the items that are probably not necessarily agreed upon as unanimously to not be very useful, but could still be so so so much more interesting?
I'll list off a few of them here, though do keep in mind this is just my subjective opinion on them. Also I will not be including items such as straw hats, pretty parasol, the whirly fan, etc. as these items, unlike most of the items that I am about to list (imo), do actually accomplish what they set out to do and are pretty much supposed to be a means to an end, that being having at least something to brave the elements before actually getting properly geared up.
Here goes:

-Blowdarts (All types, more or less):
2 Reeds, a feather and another specific material for craft for a single dart most of the time simply doesn't seem worth it in my eyes. Fire darts and sleep darts are the biggest offender in my eyes, as 80% of the time fire is not something preferable for combat and doesn't even accomplish much in the grand scheme of things and sleep darts more often than not take a bunch of darts to put a single mob to sleep, which tends to be too slow to really come in use often. As for the other dart types, they seem less situational, but not by much. Sure 100 damage per blowdart sounds nice, but getting the materials for that damage to even come into use is more often than not more of a chore and hassle than crafting almost any weapon, and the same goes for electric darts, despite their 150 damage potential.
My "solution" for this would be to let players craft a blowdart pipe with 2 reeds and darts in batches of 5 or so using 1 corresponding feather and material. The pipe would have several uses before breaking, meaning you will have to get some more reeds from time to time and the damaging darts would not deal the full damage they deal currently, as to not make blow darts too safe of a combat option. Something along the lines of 30 damage per blowdart and 15 damage base per electric dart (22.5 with the base electric damage mult and 37.5 using the wet electric damage mult). 
This could at least make blowdarts cheap tools for combat that might actually see some use as oppose to them pretty much only being used if somebody wants to cheese something for any reason.

-Breezy Vest:
Trading in 8 silk, a Koalefant trunk and the slot that could be used to hold a backpack for an item that protects 20% from wetness and has 60 insulation? Sure this could be stacked with a hat for even more insulation or wetness resistance, but for a chest slot item that has insulation to only provide 60 is not all that good in my eyes. To put this into perspective: rabbit earmuffs have 60 insulation. A winter hat has 120 insulation and is arguable easier to craft. And you can use both of these hats while still wearing a backpack. If you wanna cover the wetness resistance, a football helmet or hell even a torch do the trick just fine! (Note: Please do not actually use a torch for wetness protection unless you are in a really desperate situation, it's a very bad idea.)
Honestly, it should at least provide 120 insulation and maybe around 45% wetness protection in my opinion. Still doesn't really hold a candle against a beefalo hat or rain hat, both of which are head equipment, but this would feel way better. Oh and while we're at it, perhaps the puffy vest could use some wetness protection as well, if only for consistency. 70% Would sound fair to me personally, but that one could be debatable on necessity.

-Feather Hat:
Spawning birds at a higher rate in and of itself isn't too bad, I just feel this item is so niche overall that perhaps giving it some side perk relating to birds might be interesting. It can still come in handy from time to time, don't get me wrong, however the effect is just very underwhelming. Especially for the cost of 3 jet feathers, 2 red feathers and 2 tentacle spots.
Personally I'd prefer to reduce the cost to at least 1 tentacle spot, but keep the feathers as is. Furthermore, even though this is probably not gonna be the game changer for the feather hat, let all bird type mobs ignore players entirely while wearing a feather hat. In other words: gobblers don't flee from players, buzzards don't attack players when they are near food with them, malbatross won't attack when fishing and meese/geese will not aggro on nearby players. Lastly, I suppose raising the rate at which birds spawn while worn would probably also not hurt.

-Bush Hat:
Hiding from enemies sounds like a cool mechanic, but other than a small handful of examples (that could also be solved just the same by walking away from the danger at hand until in a save spot), it usually does not come that much in handy. 
That being said I have no clue how this could possibly be changed in any meaningful way that wouldn't be weird and whacky. Maybe it could act as a portable berrybush...? And it regrows at the same rate as one? I don't know, it seems like a joke item to me mostly. 

-Fashion goggles:
It's a hat that pretty much only exists for the sole purpose of crafting desert goggles. While this does accomplish what it is "supposed" to be, it just... seems extremely lame and very very unnecessary when A: why not just have the desert goggles recipe one more pigskin and B: You had to fish for the dang blueprint at the oasis for what was probably 2 hours.
Honestly, even though this is just me being whacky and wanting ridiculous things, I would vastly prefer if EITHER the oasis got an overhaul to be less blegh gameplay-wise OR... if maybe fashion goggles got the same sanity regen as a tam o' shanter? :> Eh? Eh? Anyone? No? 
:<

-Funcaps:
A boss drop that reduces hunger loss rate by 25%, is stackable with the belt of hunger because it's worn on your head AND it gives fairly easy access to spores? What could possibly go wrong? Oh right it also accelerates spoilage time of items in your inventory by 50% when worn. 
Including spores you would be able to collect with them and even the caps themselves.
If they wouldn't have the whole spoilage multiplier thing, maybe they would be a bit more useful.  Other than that, I think they are just sort of underappreciated.

Funcaps are amazing. Ever since I started a mushroom farm, I have an abundance of these. I like the spoilage mechanic too. It means I usually only wear the caps when I'm prepared for long journeys/cave adventures where I've prepared bundling wraps. Plus the spoilage multiplier doesn't apply to items in your backpack, so this is easily nullified.

Underappreciated? Maybe. Not very useful? On the contrary, actually.

• Like 2

MrSoratori    84

I really really think chilled amulet useless the way is it right now
Like, u never will substitute magiluminescence to kite or a armor to tank if the item isnt worth it. I love brumble husk to deal with crowds, to exemplify. But the chilled amulet needs so many hits to finally do what is suposed to do. Needs like thrice as effective as the way is it. I would love to try new strats vs bee queen fights using this one to stay those gumbles away but >> NEEDS <<  be better. Actually is a disaster and not worht the cost at all.

• Like 1

SaphironX    92

The first sleep dart should put the target to sleep. It usually doesn’t. Make them as resistant as you like after the first one, even make that mob immune to the dart effect, but make the first one work as advertised.

• Like 3

Nettalie    394
6 hours ago, Souper said:

Funcaps are amazing. Ever since I started a mushroom farm, I have an abundance of these. I like the spoilage mechanic too. It means I usually only wear the caps when I'm prepared for long journeys/cave adventures where I've prepared bundling wraps. Plus the spoilage multiplier doesn't apply to items in your backpack, so this is easily nullified.

Underappreciated? Maybe. Not very useful? On the contrary, actually.

I guess it is just in the eye of the beholder. :)

I didn't actually know that it doesn't apply to your backpack, so that actually sounds pretty interesting.

BeeClops    843

Personally I'm fine with everything the way it is except the pick/axe which should be a pick/hammer to make of a useful ruins tool.

Maybe I'd be ok with a little forager buff in terms of durability and/or speed, but to be fair I use them a ton and still end up with a lot of excess orange gems. I use around 4 foragers for the annual log harvest for about 1k - 1.2k logs. It saves me about 2 days of harvesting time, because lag there becomes unbearable; lag also affects the forager speed but not as much as manual picking.

And yeah the cookie cutter is way too expensive for what it is, but I personally would never use it anyway.

Omid.R.G    22
19 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Makes it possible to collect materials twice as fast.

This is definitely needed. Even more than twice would be nice, because in late game, players should not have to tolerate the inconvenience of gathering large amounts of item.

Well-met    4897
3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

The Chilled Amulet, just like everything else listed here, is very good. You can go a long time without overheating if you have any protection like the eyebrella or floral shirt, then when you're about to overheat just wear the amulet for a moment and swap back to the resistant item.

i think folks are too used to thermal stones at this point

literally every temperature issue is solved by a handful of rocks

doesn't seem right to me

• Like 2

ArubaroBeefalo    7126
8 hours ago, MrSoratori said:

I really really think chilled amulet useless the way is it right now
Like, u never will substitute magiluminescence to kite or a armor to tank if the item isnt worth it. I love brumble husk to deal with crowds, to exemplify. But the chilled amulet needs so many hits to finally do what is suposed to do. Needs like thrice as effective as the way is it. I would love to try new strats vs bee queen fights using this one to stay those gumbles away but >> NEEDS <<  be better. Actually is a disaster and not worht the cost at all.

I would like them to be useful for fighting but for overheating are cool (pun intended)

MrSoratori    84
4 hours ago, Well-met said:

i think folks are too used to thermal stones at this point

literally every temperature issue is solved by a handful of rocks

doesn't seem right to me

Yep. Nobody would choose chilled instead thermal stones. Also, endothermic fire or/and luxury fans, such a more viable stuff. I never had seen someone craft this item in any run whatsoever and this means a lot about what im trying to point it out here: viability. Maybe focusing in freeze when hit probably must be better.

ArubaroBeefalo    7126
4 hours ago, MrSoratori said:

Yep. Nobody would choose chilled instead thermal stones. Also, endothermic fire or/and luxury fans, such a more viable stuff. I never had seen someone craft this item in any run whatsoever and this means a lot about what im trying to point it out here: viability. Maybe focusing in freeze when hit probably must be better.

i craft them many times because gold and blue gems are something that you always end having more than you will ever waste so, if i have to explore far away of base i prefer that than having to stop to cold down a therman stone with nitre (minimum 2 slots instead of 1)

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 1

Cheggf    2083
13 hours ago, MrSoratori said:

Yep. Nobody would choose chilled instead thermal stones.

A lot of people do, it doesn't restrict you like the thermal stones do. The only way thermal stones can be anywhere near as good as a Chilled Amulet is if you have Snow Chester, which assumes you made Snow Chester, you're the only person on the server, Chester doesn't die, and you're fine with his annoying hopping noises.

Also, endothermic fire or/and luxury fans, such a more viable stuff.

Needing to run around with 1 inventory slot for a chilled amulet = very bad, useless, worthless, terrible, and not viable.

Needing to run around with 2 stacks of items that you keep burning through = very good, amazing, top tier, super viable.

And saying the Chilled Amulet sucks because the Luxury Fan can do its job better is like saying the Football Helmet sucks because Bone Armor can do its job better. All you need for a Chilled Amulet is a single blue gem, which you probably have tons of, and it'll last you at least one summer if not multiple.

I never had seen someone craft this item in any run whatsoever and this means a lot about what im trying to point it out here: viability.

No it doesn't lol. I never see anyone craft tons of good stuff, most people just stick with spears, log armor or football helmets, torches or maybe lanterns and never go any better than that. Most people probably don't even know it exists because they don't know anything outside of the top few items of each of the basic tabs exist.

And what a coincidence, two items I never see anyone make are endo fires & luxury fans... Looks like those aren't viable!

Maybe focusing in freeze when hit probably must be better.

I think you're making these comments because you didn't know it cooled the player down and thought this bad functionality was all it had, and you're refusing to admit you didn't know something.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 1

QuartzBeam    3264
4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

his annoying hopping noises.

Well, that's just bloody rude. :(

Edited by QuartzBeam
  • Haha 1
  • Big Ups 2