Boredhippo

Error when game opens. No mods installed.

ImDaMisterL    21107

Hey @Boredhippo!

It looks like your client.ini is corrupt. Can you remove the [audio] section? Mine looks like this:

[audio]
volume_ambient = 10
volume_sfx = 10
volume_music = 10

Delete those lines and you should be able to run the game. If that doesn't work, try renaming client.ini to client_corrupt.ini and running the game again.

On Windows, your client.ini is located here:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\

(Hit WindowsKey+R, paste that path, hit enter.)

• Thanks 1

Boredhippo    1

Hi @ImDaMisterL! 

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry but I'm not good at this and am a bit confused. So I have the dontstarve folder open, but from here am not clear what to do next (I tried doing the windowskey+R but I assume that was just to find the dontstarve folder). Once I have the folder open how do I find the audio section? Would you mind just giving me the step by step please :) Thank you

I wanna clarify this is for Don't Starve and not Don't Starve Together

Edited by Boredhippo

ImDaMisterL    21107
1 hour ago, Boredhippo said:

Hi @ImDaMisterL! 

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry but I'm not good at this and am a bit confused. So I have the dontstarve folder open, but from here am not clear what to do next (I tried doing the windowskey+R but I assume that was just to find the dontstarve folder). Once I have the folder open how do I find the audio section? Would you mind just giving me the step by step please :) Thank you

I wanna clarify this is for Don't Starve and not Don't Starve Together

Of course!

Sorry for the mistake, the file you're actually looking for is called "settings.ini"

Once you have your file open, you can use the ctrl + F command, a box should pop up for you to insert the bit of text you want to find un the file, which is the one I added to my post. Any line from there should work, but if for any reason one of them doesn't, try another one. For example, if "audio" doesn't bring up any results, try "volume_ambient"

After you delete what's needed, starting up the game again should fix your file automatically. In case that doesn't happen, you can try renaming your settings.ini file to settings_corrupt.ini

If the error keeps persisting despite all these changes, try verifying the cache once more, it should be fixed by then, but keep me updated

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Boredhippo    1

Sorry, can you please tell me where to find this file. I've tried clicking around and haven't found it. From this screenshot, can you say how to navigate to settings.ini ? Appreciate the help!

image.thumb.png.d77d99d3fce5479811f252f5a392ccfd.png

ImDaMisterL    21107
17 minutes ago, Boredhippo said:

Sorry, can you please tell me where to find this file. I've tried clicking around and haven't found it. From this screenshot, can you say how to navigate to settings.ini ? Appreciate the help!

image.thumb.png.d77d99d3fce5479811f252f5a392ccfd.png

This file isn't found in your Don't Starve steamapps folder, but in your Documents folder!

Go on %USERPROFILE%/Documente/Klei/DoNotStarve

The file should be right there :)

• Thanks 2