Mike23Ua

Hardware limitations & the future of DST.

Recommended Posts

Mike23Ua    9598

Recent posts in other threads (particularly the ones about moving blinking floating heads & rain slowing people’s PC’s down) have got me to thinking about Hardware Limitation and the FUTURE of DST.

People playing on much older PC’s struggle to run the game as intended (to the point some even have to completely disable caves content) others.. have to install mods (less particles on rain effects.)

Now Personally: The way I feel about it is the people playing on that outdated hardware need to get better rigs. (This isn’t an insult thrown at Anyone.. I’m using this as my key concern.)

The fact is: People playing on PC CAN DO THAT.. they can for example: Go out and buy a new graphics or performance card and shove it over in their PC to play the game the way it’s intended..

But what about people on CONSOLES? PS4 and Xbox One- We already have our world Gen settings limited to Default or Less.. we don’t have all the fancy More or Lots More settings PC has.. So eventually there will come a point in DSTs life-cycle to where the content Klei adds to the game will start causing us to have performance issues.

But UNLIKE PC Players: We can’t just go buy a new card and slap it over in our consoles, we have to go buy a whole new console- which most likely includes having to buy new controllers/accessories to go with it. 

So my questions my concerns: How Will Klei handle the FUTURE of the game (something I was hoping the 2021 roadmap would cover but I was unfortunately left in the dark)

What happens when the game can no longer have content added to it on our lower end hardware without causing performance issues?
 

Does Klei just stop doing updates at all at this point and even though better hardware can support more they have to be bound to limits of the older hardware?

Do they discontinue support for the last Gen versions of the game and focus only on the New Consoles PS5 & Xbox Series X? (like how GTA V did 360<Xbox One & now soon Series X>Xbox One)

How do they go about handling that? Do they rerelease a new version of the game I’ll have to buy again? Do I get that as a free upgrade?

Do we stay stuck on last Gen hardware (and thus bound to that last Gen hardwares limitations) of not being able to have presets above just default or less?

Do We reach a point where content updates can no longer happen because it can’t run on the old consoles?

Is the reason the ocean content feels vast & empty and void of anything much of interest because that would slow older hardware down to a Crawl??

These are serious concerns I have over the future of DST and Klei’s update schedule

When do we reach the point of Old Hardware being too outdated to get further support? And Where do we go from There?

 

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CremeLover    396
8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

The only people with problems with Don't Starve are people on PC playing on literal bricks.

Don't Starve was released on PC, PS4 and XBoX One
Xbox one and ps4 can play games like this

Spoiler

 

Unless you have entities on your screen counting by the tens of thousands, I highly doubt consoles will experience any performance issues from Don't Starve in the next few decades.

  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wons    502

thank you for making this post, i hope klei notice this as a problem and will do something about that, i'm playing on ~8 years old laptop and frog rains are just terror for it. I hope klei would make 64bit version of Dst, or atleast add some settings that would help with the perfomance <3

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    9598
9 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

The only people with problems with Don't Starve are people on PC playing on literal bricks.

Don't Starve was released on PC, PS4 and XBoX One
Xbox one and ps4 can play games like this

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Unless you have entities on your screen counting by the tens of thousands, I highly doubt consoles will experience any performance issues from Don't Starve in the next few decades.

We are already limited to default in world Gen settings, we were told that our consoles were incapable of handling anything higher.. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SaphironX    127
26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Recent posts in other threads (particularly the ones about moving blinking floating heads & rain slowing people’s PC’s down) have got me to thinking about Hardware Limitation and the FUTURE of DST.

People playing on much older PC’s struggle to run the game as intended (to the point some even have to completely disable caves content) others.. have to install mods (less particles on rain effects.)

Now Personally: The way I feel about it is the people playing on that outdated hardware need to get better rigs. (This isn’t an insult thrown at Anyone.. I’m using this as my key concern.)

The fact is: People playing on PC CAN DO THAT.. they can for example: Go out and buy a new graphics or performance card and shove it over in their PC to play the game the way it’s intended..

But what about people on CONSOLES? PS4 and Xbox One- We already have our world Gen settings limited to Default or Less.. we don’t have all the fancy More or Lots More settings PC has.. So eventually there will come a point in DSTs life-cycle to where the content Klei adds to the game will start causing us to have performance issues.

But UNLIKE PC Players: We can’t just go buy a new card and slap it over in our consoles, we have to go buy a whole new console- which most likely includes having to buy new controllers/accessories to go with it. 

So my questions my concerns: How Will Klei handle the FUTURE of the game (something I was hoping the 2021 roadmap would cover but I was unfortunately left in the dark)

What happens when the game can no longer have content added to it on our lower end hardware without causing performance issues?
 

Does Klei just stop doing updates at all at this point and even though better hardware can support more they have to be bound to limits of the older hardware?

Do they discontinue support for the last Gen versions of the game and focus only on the New Consoles PS5 & Xbox Series X? (like how GTA V did 360<Xbox One & now soon Series X>Xbox One)

How do they go about handling that? Do they rerelease a new version of the game I’ll have to buy again? Do I get that as a free upgrade?

Do we stay stuck on last Gen hardware (and thus bound to that last Gen hardwares limitations) of not being able to have presets above just default or less?

Do We reach a point where content updates can no longer happen because it can’t run on the old consoles?

Is the reason the ocean content feels vast & empty and void of anything much of interest because that would slow older hardware down to a Crawl??

These are serious concerns I have over the future of DST and Klei’s update schedule

When do we reach the point of Old Hardware being too outdated to get further support? And Where do we go from There?

 

I mean the game has to grow and progress, and they need to update for new consoles as time goes on. That's true of every game that doesn't want to fall out of use.

And how is upgrading to ps5 different from upgrading your PC? A good graphics card alone can cost almost as much as PS5.

And I think it's time, or soon will be time, for console players to get more options in settlings as we have more powerful systems coming. I mean I don't have a PS5 yet as they're hard to get, but I don't plan to remain on PS4 forever.

This is just a reality of time passing.

Also I should add my two DST friends have PS5s now, they can play with me pretty seamlessly, but if my hardware is outdated (and that's the absolute truth of it, it is) then the game shouldn't stop growing on console for my sake.

Besides, it's time to make the caves and overworld a single instance, it would solve so many problems, and the coming hardware will do that.

I assume at some point the PS4 version will cease to be updated, same as an 8 year old laptop can't be expected to keep up with games after five more years of innovation.

Might as wall argue they should make it PS3 compatible at that point.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

We are already limited to default in world Gen settings, we were told that our consoles were incapable of handling anything higher.. :( 

Yeah I'm ready to see that change tbh. I'm excited about getting a PS5 and all the benefits it will bring. Some day soon anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    9598
Just now, SaphironX said:

I mean the game has to grow and progress, and they need to update for new consoles as time goes on. That's true of every game that doesn't want to fall out of use.

And how is upgrading to ps5 different from upgrading your PC? A good graphics card alone can cost almost as much as PS5.

And I think it's time, or soon will be time, for console players to get more options in settlings as we have more powerful systems coming. I mean I don't have a PS5 yet as they're hard to get, but I don't plan to remain on PS4 forever.

This is just a reality of time passing.

This answers none of my questions: 

Does Klei have to be limited in what they can do with the game because they still have to take into Consideration the older consoles?

Or.. do they discontinue support on old hardware and release a new version of the game (I’ll probably have to rebuy all over again) for the next Gen PS5/Series X?

And IF They Rerelease it and Cross-Play becomes a thing in the future.. Will PS5/Series X still be able to play with PS4/Xbox One players?

Will any of the skins I’ve bought/earned over the years transfer over?

The new consoles are out.. and while they’re like finding needles in a haystack right now: They are among us.. and it’s only a matter of time before I’ll need to upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clifford W.    417

The engine DST uses is actually rewritten DS code and DS is a 2013 game.

So both games are abit dated but they are still good games.

No one knows what will be with the game in future only time will tell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Recent posts in other threads (particularly the ones about moving blinking floating heads & rain slowing people’s PC’s down) have got me to thinking about Hardware Limitation and the FUTURE of DST.

People playing on much older PC’s struggle to run the game as intended (to the point some even have to completely disable caves content) others.. have to install mods (less particles on rain effects.)

Now Personally: The way I feel about it is the people playing on that outdated hardware need to get better rigs. (This isn’t an insult thrown at Anyone.. I’m using this as my key concern.)

The fact is: People playing on PC CAN DO THAT.. they can for example: Go out and buy a new graphics or performance card and shove it over in their PC to play the game the way it’s intended..

But what about people on CONSOLES? PS4 and Xbox One- We already have our world Gen settings limited to Default or Less.. we don’t have all the fancy More or Lots More settings PC has.. So eventually there will come a point in DSTs life-cycle to where the content Klei adds to the game will start causing us to have performance issues.

But UNLIKE PC Players: We can’t just go buy a new card and slap it over in our consoles, we have to go buy a whole new console- which most likely includes having to buy new controllers/accessories to go with it. 

So my questions my concerns: How Will Klei handle the FUTURE of the game (something I was hoping the 2021 roadmap would cover but I was unfortunately left in the dark)

What happens when the game can no longer have content added to it on our lower end hardware without causing performance issues?
 

Does Klei just stop doing updates at all at this point and even though better hardware can support more they have to be bound to limits of the older hardware?

Do they discontinue support for the last Gen versions of the game and focus only on the New Consoles PS5 & Xbox Series X? (like how GTA V did 360<Xbox One & now soon Series X>Xbox One)

How do they go about handling that? Do they rerelease a new version of the game I’ll have to buy again? Do I get that as a free upgrade?

Do we stay stuck on last Gen hardware (and thus bound to that last Gen hardwares limitations) of not being able to have presets above just default or less?

Do We reach a point where content updates can no longer happen because it can’t run on the old consoles?

Is the reason the ocean content feels vast & empty and void of anything much of interest because that would slow older hardware down to a Crawl??

These are serious concerns I have over the future of DST and Klei’s update schedule

When do we reach the point of Old Hardware being too outdated to get further support? And Where do we go from There?

 

the game uses 4gb of ram maximum

I dont think you understand what you are talking about because I know what you just said makes no sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kyriena    9

If they do make it next gen only then they need to give free upgrades, plus let the skins you earn carry over. At the moment I don't see them making that move yet with all the changes and fixes they have planned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toros    2074

DST runs pretty terribly in most cases considering the hardware available and moving next gen won't change that in a substantial way.

The reason you can get beautiful and complex graphics for some games and relatively weak performance out of DST is that it's a 32 bit program and can only use 4 GB of ram.  A PS4 has 8 GB, and many gaming computers have 16 GB or more.

There's a huge amount of computing power being unused with DST between the single core utilization and the 4 GB of memory limit.

If the game was multithreaded and 64 bit you'd see an enormous performance increase on higher end hardware.  Right now you're basically only benefiting from a faster processor after 4 GB of ram.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sudoku    651

I do wonder if the fact that a console version exists has had an effect on ROT content. Specifically the ocean. The ocean is extremely small, in some cases there may only be 5 tiles of ocean or so between the edge of the map and land. Boats were made so slow to compensate for the oceans smallness on current maps. But I never understood why they didn't just increase the default map size to huge and instead of land gave the extra space for more ocean. Perhaps console players not even being given a huge option in world gen is an indication that there are already limitations on what DST can do.

Edited by sudoku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikoFanboy    1006
On 2/12/2021 at 4:17 AM, Mike23Ua said:

CONSOLES? PS4 and Xbox One

Like what Mojang did to Minecraft legacy edition
"discontinue that version"

when the return of them is finished, it would be a good time to discontinue DST on Ps4, xbox one and Klei could move to Ps5, xbox series x :v

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SaphironX    127
On 2/11/2021 at 1:52 PM, Mike23Ua said:

This answers none of my questions: 

Does Klei have to be limited in what they can do with the game because they still have to take into Consideration the older consoles?

Or.. do they discontinue support on old hardware and release a new version of the game (I’ll probably have to rebuy all over again) for the next Gen PS5/Series X?

And IF They Rerelease it and Cross-Play becomes a thing in the future.. Will PS5/Series X still be able to play with PS4/Xbox One players?

Will any of the skins I’ve bought/earned over the years transfer over?

The new consoles are out.. and while they’re like finding needles in a haystack right now: They are among us.. and it’s only a matter of time before I’ll need to upgrade.

I mean in summary what I’m saying is if they are holding development back for old gen systems and consoles... eventually they need to stop.

Or that will be the end of the game.

I mean we saw it on consoles when ps3 went to ps4 and we’ll see it soon now with ps5, games will eventually start getting updates and features that won’t be patched into the earlier version.

If they don’t the game will end sooner, if they do it will last longer and go to greater heights, but not every old system will be able to handle every aspect sooner or later. 
 

i don’t have a ps5 or high end PC, but I’m going to have to upgrade eventually, and I would tell them to keep going forward even if I lag behind for a bit, because I want the game to grow.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:25 AM, Well-met said:

not very relevant but ps4 is a pretty old console at this point

It is. I love my PS4 but it’s been around for a long long time.

On 2/12/2021 at 3:26 AM, Sunset Skye said:

This being repeated everywhere is such a frustrating thing to me because not only has nobody to my knowledge reported this as actually being an issue for them, but a dev has already stated that anyone getting performance issues from the floating heads would not be able to run the game itself. Despite this, it's going to be repeated over and over as if it is true and is an issue, just like what happens with people claiming twiggy trees cause lag, and it's just... frustrating. 

I mean if they can’t run twiggy trees, they’re due for an upgrade this year.

Can’t imagine they can run much of anything if twiggy trees cause lag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now