Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Mike23Ua

Dont Starve Together Adventures Mode: Through the Portal

Mike23Ua    10058

So I wanted to talk about an idea of a Dont Starve Together adventures mode

For simplicity sake we’re just going to call this Through the Portal.

Growing up one of my favorite animated cartoon series was Code Lyoko and in this TV series it told the tale of kids who ventured into a virtual reality & did glorious bouts of battle against Lyoko’s various creatures- Lyoko had 4 (with additional ones added later) Zone Sectors: The Forest Zone, The Mountain Zone, The Ice Zone, and Desert Zone.

Now HOW and why this is important to DST and an adventures mode is very vital: In Code Lyoko each “Zone” had its own unique hazards and enemies the shows heroes would have to combat against.

Looking back at single player Dont Starve: That games campaign mode was broken up into 5 chapters, each chapter was basically the same world with the same mobs.. but each chapter had a unique gimmick. (Two worlds, infinite winter, lights out etc..)

THIS Teaser image for an upcoming beta update got me really excited..

8F413497-1335-41E6-A179-867794106DDF.jpeg.0b71927bef3c846755dc141256cf5f33.jpeg

Now while this is most likely NOT what that is.... it did get me to thinking about the possibilities of “What If..”

Which brought Code Lyoko and its different Sectors to mind So with that said let’s discuss through the portal:

Imagine if you will: A DST five chapter adventures mode, but instead of them all being the Same-ish worlds with very familiar mobs and biomes... Klei instead opted to do things on a much larger scale (as in each chapter would be its own unique world, dangers & mobs)

They already have a solid foundation: Core Content, Shipwrecked Content, Hamlet Content, Forge Content, Gorge Content, Possibly some beautiful Japanese Sakura tree biome like @ADM cherry forest mod for PC, And of Course grander scale Lunar Moon related content.

This is not just tiny islands out in the ocean.. these are entire worlds full of their own unique hazards, craftables, & dangers.

Now for those of you unfamiliar with Adventures Mode: this was a 5 chapter campaign through 5 randomly generated worlds each world with a unique set of rules and gimmicks, and should you die in Chapter 5 you restart again at Chapter 1 all in an epic grand scale quest to beat the game and unlock a secret playable character or two along the way.

Okay so now your saying it’s not possible, it’ll never work, that many worlds running at once on different shared shards would blow your PC/Console up.

And you would be correct in thinking that: but that’s why it’s called THROUGH THE PORTAL as in once you go through the portal you can never return back to the previous World- just like in Solo DS you couldn’t go back to chapter 1 unless you died and lost all progress..

Its not trying to load 5+ different worlds you can hop between at once, instead it loads only ONE world and the previous one no longer exists.

Much like Code Lyoko and its different zone sectors: Dont Starve Together would have this huge and epic story mode.. where each chapter is its own world, mobs, hazards all in an epic quest to hopefully unlock Charlie as playable in the end.

Now how it would work is that everyone playing Adventures Mode would need to be standing in a circular teleportation dome (think Ark survival evolved and teleporting into a boss fight) Everyone has to be in that circle (roughly the size of Feastclops red eye laser Aurora) before the game takes them through the portal and into the next world of dangers.

Explore randomly generated WORLDS full of things that hate you and want you to die.. and when it comes to DST- I feel like it’s adventures mode could be done on a much much grander scale than DS solo’s ever dreamed of.

bruhmoment23    7550

I think you're a bit too much excited for something that's probably a red herring regarding that perspective. It would be A LOT more tedious and chaotic in multiplayer. Sure, i suppose it would be "fun", but what exactly would you even get from finishing this "dst adventure mode 2 electric boogaloo" in the first place? To me atleast, this doesn't make much sense to exist with any real benefits other than "looking pretty with different biomes and challenge" in the multiplayer version. Being able to do it solo without any other players wouldn't make a lot of sense either, so personally i'm not really sold out on this idea. It would just feel like some sort of rat race imo.

Mike23Ua    10058

Well.. Wes was unlocked exclusively in Chapter 3, and that was only IF you got lucky enough to have him spawn & Maxwell was unlocked from enduring the entire campaign- So I would assume they could add unlockable characters as rewards for mode completion?

(examples being Charlie as final unlock and maybe Woodlegs when you did X Task in his Shipwrecked Chapter to unlock)

The TL:DR it allows Klei to add characters to the game that require skill & a certain degree of knowledge to unlock.

In DST in its Current Form: all playable characters including Wes are unlocked from the start (so those saying Wilson is the starter character.. are incorrect because ANYONE you pick is your starter character now)

The idea is to find portal parts, build portal, fight some boss get a key that activates portal- travel to new world.

Its something Klei was ALREADY doing with Gorge/Forge stuff & the Ancient Portal.

ArubaroBeefalo    8791
18 minutes ago, Yukanur said:

He plays on xbox

I dont think that klei should waste resources on this when they can make caves less empty, the world in general less repetitive over time, adding more areas, set pieces, mobs, etc

Improving the base game > adding game modes

Mike23Ua    10058
8 hours ago, Well-met said:

It will not happen simply of virtue that multiplayer can't handle that many shard servers at once.

It’s not though- it’s handling one server. The rest aren’t even active. You must not have read my entire post.

Just like Solo DS when you went to Chapter  2 you could NEVER Return to Chapter 1 ever again (unless you died and start over) 

With DST it would be Identical to this: Once you leave chapter one (triggered by having everyone stand on a teleportation pad AoE) Chapter one is erased completely & can never be loaded back in. 

Chapter 2, 3, 4 and 5 are the same way: they’re their own beast, and Every player has to abandon the old world to progress to the next chapter.

SaphironX    158

I’d love to have adventure mode so much.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:06 PM, Mike23Ua said:

It’s not though- it’s handling one server. The rest aren’t even active. You must not have read my entire post.

Just like Solo DS when you went to Chapter  2 you could NEVER Return to Chapter 1 ever again (unless you died and start over) 

With DST it would be Identical to this: Once you leave chapter one (triggered by having everyone stand on a teleportation pad AoE) Chapter one is erased completely & can never be loaded back in. 

Chapter 2, 3, 4 and 5 are the same way: they’re their own beast, and Every player has to abandon the old world to progress to the next chapter.

True and no world lasts forever, unless you really want to go like 1000 days or something. New updates come out, stuff changes, and you can your friends could world hop into strange new worlds with a twist and take down Charlie or something.

I want this. I want a win condition (where you could continue after winning of course). I want creative worlds like a world with islands and boats or maybe a black and white world or some unique bosses. Like the original was amazing but imagine what klei could do now!

it can’t just be an endless sandbox forever, and they could always make it survival only for people who don’t want to bother... but I loved taking down maxwell in the original. 

I see no downside to entering the portal and clearing the old world with the stuff on your back, and all players would need to enter so if you had an ongoing relationship as opposed to randoms, you’d already have agreement. And you’re playing with randoms, just go when you’re alone.

They could do worlds where the biomes are all different colors with oil for water, or have other animal skins replacing the inhabitants like mctusk villages and a duke of all mctusks (like pigs, each one wouldn’t have blowdarts), whatever they wanted, they could have unique non-raid bosses to beat to progress like evil pig kings... you know, it could be adventure mode! New things to see, a twist on the regular.

Dude. Adventure mode done right and updated would be amazing.

SaphironX    158
On 2/8/2021 at 3:12 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

He plays on xbox

I dont think that klei should waste resources on this when they can make caves less empty, the world in general less repetitive over time, adding more areas, set pieces, mobs, etc

Improving the base game > adding game modes

It's not a game mode though. It's the destination for the existing game mode. It's a semi-win condition with a final boss.

Yes to all that other stuff, but a sandbox can evolve into a campaign.

ArubaroBeefalo    8791
5 minutes ago, SaphironX said:

It's not a game mode though. It's the destination for the existing game mode. It's a semi-win condition with a final boss.

Yes to all that other stuff, but a sandbox can evolve into a campaign.

Its a game mode. Right now we play in sandbox mode and sand box games doesnt need win condition to be fun

There is many things to improve to have a even better dst before adding a new game mode with all the work and resources that it needs, if klei decide to include someday a adventure mode repeating a game formula

SaphironX    158
3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Its a game mode. Right now we play in sandbox mode and sand box games doesnt need win condition to be fun

There is many things to improve to have a even better dst before adding a new game mode with all the work and resources that it needs, if klei decide to include someday a adventure mode repeating a game formula

I mean... i think you and I have a difference of opinion there, but to each their own.

I for one truly hope we get one, I'd love to explore worlds with a twist and take down charlie. The possibilities of what they could do are pretty endless and it's not like it would take away from the sandbox. It would enhance it, and every crazy world you could reach you could live your sandbox in as well.

I mean, we could use some variation in the standard biomes these days. Even if they're just visual, or we have a world made up of islands (which would be tough as a starting world, but amazing once you're situated and prepared for portal travel), or a darkness world with a special boss or an evil pig king or something.

Mike23Ua    10058

I think you guys may be misunderstanding why an adventures mode is important (aside from me feeling like they should be a staple part of the franchise)

Adventures Mode allows Klei to tell a story driven narrative all from right there in gameplay content- and yes they’re doing that currently with Return of Them updates: but it’s on such a smaller scale, they have to limit what they can/can’t add to the game based on the worlds atmosphere, weather patterns, craftable items, biome types, mobs that fit the theme of belonging there.

But eventually there will come a point where Klei can’t cram anymore content into a single server world without it causing our consoles to explode

Imagine once you built the portal and gathered the keys to activate it: that you can activate a teleporter pad and move to the next WORLD: The previous world you just left- Is Deleted forever and can’t be returned to (a feature only available for Adventures Mode) 

An example would be if Chapter 2 took us to the Firelands.. a place Maxwells quotes while examining a red bird implies exists: And in the firelands rivers flow with Magma.. the atmosphere resembles forge with forge enemy types being the norm here, firehounds and larvae would be here as well: a world where everything is magmatic/volcanic, we can craft exclusive fire proof tools and structures that can only be crafted on this particular chapter.. aka things that Return of Them content can’t do by continuing to just add to the vanilla experience- That would actually probably get confusing and could potentially run off fans who enjoyed the standard experience that is becoming more & more unrecognizable to them.

This world can have its OWN weather patterns and hazards (just go play portal knights already...) that is completely unique to the chapter your currently visiting.

And each chapter: could have its own unlockable content such as skins, or playable characters unlocked by finding them or doing x task during Y chapter all cumulating up to chapter 5 & freeing Charlie from the throne as a playable character in the game.

Klei can tell that story of getting a seed, building a giant been stalk, going to the moon into the next CHAPTER.

All while rewarding players with unlocks they can only obtain while in that chapter.

Its a story driven gameplay narrative with new worlds, an entirely new selection of craftables, biomes, mobs & hazards per chapter.

IF they choose to do things in this way.... That cool Under Water Biome mod someone once showed has the chance to become its own “World”  where we can craft under water weapons, armors battle sea mobs etc... and (of course) we get to go to the source of what’s going on on Lunar Island

The way content is handled in its current form: there’s only so much they can add to the surface and caves... but imagine brand new TYPES of Surfaces & Caves.

DSTs biggest problem is familiar biomes, mobs, set pieces (Pig King always spawning, always finding Gloomers flower etc etc etc..) 

But what about a whole new atmosphere, with a whole new set of weather hazards, biomes, mobs, brand new set pieces and craftable items?

THAT is why I want an adventures mode.. Because building fireproof boats and armors aren’t going to make much sense in the default biomes and atmosphere.

Maybe I’m just wanting a Grand scale content rich experience: Something I will never get but it’s fun to think about & hope for.

But IF an Adventures Mode was to ever come to DST instead of being like solo DS where wacky world rules and gimmicks were applied to familiar biomes-

I would like to hope Klei has the Technology to “Portal Knights” DSTs adventures mode: Meaning each chapter is its own world, its own craftables, its own biomes, mobs, set pieces and weather hazards.

Well-met    5594
10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think you guys may be misunderstanding why an adventures mode is important (aside from me feeling like they should be a staple part of the franchise)

Adventures Mode allows Klei to tell a story driven narrative all from right there in gameplay content- and yes they’re doing that currently with Return of Them updates: but it’s on such a smaller scale, they have to limit what they can/can’t add to the game based on the worlds atmosphere, weather patterns, craftable items, biome types, mobs that fit the theme of belonging there.

But eventually there will come a point where Klei can’t cram anymore content into a single server world without it causing our consoles to explode

Imagine once you built the portal and gathered the keys to activate it: that you can activate a teleporter pad and move to the next WORLD: The previous world you just left- Is Deleted forever and can’t be returned to (a feature only available for Adventures Mode) 

An example would be if Chapter 2 took us to the Firelands.. a place Maxwells quotes while examining a red bird implies exists: And in the firelands rivers flow with Magma.. the atmosphere resembles forge with forge enemy types being the norm here, firehounds and larvae would be here as well: a world where everything is magmatic/volcanic, we can craft exclusive fire proof tools and structures that can only be crafted on this particular chapter.. aka things that Return of Them content can’t do by continuing to just add to the vanilla experience- That would actually probably get confusing and could potentially run off fans who enjoyed the standard experience that is becoming more & more unrecognizable to them.

This world can have its OWN weather patterns and hazards (just go play portal knights already...) that is completely unique to the chapter your currently visiting.

And each chapter: could have its own unlockable content such as skins, or playable characters unlocked by finding them or doing x task during Y chapter all cumulating up to chapter 5 & freeing Charlie from the throne as a playable character in the game.

Klei can tell that story of getting a seed, building a giant been stalk, going to the moon into the next CHAPTER.

All while rewarding players with unlocks they can only obtain while in that chapter.

Its a story driven gameplay narrative with new worlds, an entirely new selection of craftables, biomes, mobs & hazards per chapter.

IF they choose to do things in this way.... That cool Under Water Biome mod someone once showed has the chance to become its own “World”  where we can craft under water weapons, armors battle sea mobs etc... and (of course) we get to go to the source of what’s going on on Lunar Island

The way content is handled in its current form: there’s only so much they can add to the surface and caves... but imagine brand new TYPES of Surfaces & Caves.

DSTs biggest problem is familiar biomes, mobs, set pieces (Pig King always spawning, always finding Gloomers flower etc etc etc..) 

But what about a whole new atmosphere, with a whole new set of weather hazards, biomes, mobs, brand new set pieces and craftable items?

THAT is why I want an adventures mode.. Because building fireproof boats and armors aren’t going to make much sense in the default biomes and atmosphere.

Maybe I’m just wanting a Grand scale content rich experience: Something I will never get but it’s fun to think about & hope for.

But IF an Adventures Mode was to ever come to DST instead of being like solo DS where wacky world rules and gimmicks were applied to familiar biomes-

I would like to hope Klei has the Technology to “Portal Knights” DSTs adventures mode: Meaning each chapter is its own world, its own craftables, its own biomes, mobs, set pieces and weather hazards.

dont starve is a deliberate sandbox game. Even DS1's adventure mode can feel repetitive once you've seen the very few "lore" things like wes's trap or the throne area.

its not going to change

SaphironX    158
On 2/12/2021 at 5:31 AM, Well-met said:

dont starve is a deliberate sandbox game. Even DS1's adventure mode can feel repetitive once you've seen the very few "lore" things like wes's trap or the throne area.

its not going to change

It’s not about the lore it’s about the worlds. And dst could do FAR neater stuff with multiple worlds with a twist  and character swapping crystal portals so we can play different guys with one run through. If that prospect actually 

I mean if the game is really never going to go anywhere it will just die out and that would be a shame. It’s odd you’d want to just leave it as is and be vocally opposed to new content and challenges.

I’m ready to take on Charlie and see some twists on the base game, but even if they give us what we want you can always just never use the portal and stay strictly sandbox I guess?

CremeLover    396

Something like this is unlikely to actually happen, and for the same reason we don't have a third server for the ruins like in single player.

How would this work? Will players be allowed to enter the adventure in batches and the adventure gets locked until the player leaves? What if the player disconnects? Does it lock the adventure mode for everyone and becomes inaccessible? Does the player get kicked out of adventure? If so, does it mean that connection problem can rob you out 3-4 hours of work? What is even the point of this? Old Adventure mode was a one time thing, and you could repeat it if you wanted to swap characters, but after the feedback Klei got from the gorge and the forge, I think they would rather focus on things that permanently affect the game, not a side thing that you do once and forget about it.

Klei has shown they can "perfectly" tell a story without the need of cutscenes or some other railroad experience like adventure mode, just look at the crab king and pearl.

This a big deviation from how they've been doing things, implies a significant technological redesign and I doubt it will add any sort of meaningful content outside of doing it once or twice. I guess you could lock the hard mode people really want behind it, but it honestly doesn't seem worth the effort from my perspective.

If Klei, for some reason decide they want to add a third server shard, I think, and probably more people as well, that they would rather have a new world shard used for a moon world, instead of an adventure mode.

Think about it, what does an adventure mode add to the game that cannot be done with another shard and some bosses plus the occassional text and environmental storytelling?

Mike23Ua    10058
43 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

Something like this is unlikely to actually happen, and for the same reason we don't have a third server for the ruins like in single player.

How would this work? Will players be allowed to enter the adventure in batches and the adventure gets locked until the player leaves? What if the player disconnects? Does it lock the adventure mode for everyone and becomes inaccessible? Does the player get kicked out of adventure? If so, does it mean that connection problem can rob you out 3-4 hours of work? What is even the point of this? Old Adventure mode was a one time thing, and you could repeat it if you wanted to swap characters, but after the feedback Klei got from the gorge and the forge, I think they would rather focus on things that permanently affect the game, not a side thing that you do once and forget about it.

Klei has shown they can "perfectly" tell a story without the need of cutscenes or some other railroad experience like adventure mode, just look at the crab king and pearl.

This a big deviation from how they've been doing things, implies a significant technological redesign and I doubt it will add any sort of meaningful content outside of doing it once or twice. I guess you could lock the hard mode people really want behind it, but it honestly doesn't seem worth the effort from my perspective.

If Klei, for some reason decide they want to add a third server shard, I think, and probably more people as well, that they would rather have a new world shard used for a moon world, instead of an adventure mode.

Think about it, what does an adventure mode add to the game that cannot be done with another shard and some bosses plus the occassional text and environmental storytelling?

Two words: Console limitations.

an Xbox One only has Default settings for most world Gen options (we don’t have more or lots more) we are ALREADY stretching limits on how much Klei can add to our worlds without it causing the game to be Unplayable.

Adventures Mode Solves this and also opens the doorway for infinite worlds, & near endless gameplay content.

Because instead of trying to cram everything into the surface or caves shard (which as I said are ALREADY stretching limits..) They can INSTEAD have alternate SAVE Files.

In other Words: let’s say default DST is forest/caves/ruins.

But a DST New Game + is Moon/Moon Caverns/The Dark side of the Moon.

There is no longer a Forest or Caves because in the next chapter of Adventures the NEW locations replace them.

Aside from that: having chapters for a Adventures (aka campaign mode) allows us to have to survive to a Specific CHAPTER or do a Specific THING to unlock playable characters:

The problem with WES in DST is he is unlocked from the start- and anyone regardless of their skill level can pick & play as him, IN DS Single Player to even Unlock WES you had to luck up on finding him in Chapter 3 of Adventures Mode.

(in other words in order to even play as Wes you had to be skilled enough to unlock him) 

At the end of Charlie’s storyline for DST I want to unlock her same as I did Maxwell (the Bad guy of DS Solo) and I want her to be absurdly OP and good but also hard to use- and in order for the game to KNOW that the player has any rights to use her: They’ll have to have completed the adventure mode.

Now as far as your Question about who all goes and who all stays in old Worlds: have you ever done a boss fight in Ark Survival Evolved? Basically the players stand on a teleportation pad and a circular dome covers them and they teleport to the new location.

With DST EVERYONE would need to be in this teleportation area: Or No one goes anywhere- But once you DO teleport to Say Chapter 2: Chapter 1 is deleted and the game no longer has that data to have to remember.

It allows Klei to continue to add stuff to the game, across multiple chapters and different worlds, with progression based unlockable characters & without having to worry about how much content can they cram into a single Forest/Cave shard before my Xbox One explodes.

CremeLover    396
7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

an Xbox One only has Default settings for most world Gen options (we don’t have more or lots more) we are ALREADY stretching limits on how much Klei can add to our worlds without it causing the game to be Unplayable.

Adventures Mode Solves this and also opens the doorway for infinite worlds, & near endless gameplay content..

...what?

I'm sorry, but whatever the reason consoles don't have custom world gen, is definitely not because of the power of the console.

Adventure mode does not solve the issue of limited shards whatsoever. Unless of course if you enter adventure mode, you drag everyone on their server against their will to play adventure mode with you, they will keep playing on their own shard. While this shard does not need to stay connected and synchronized, since is a different game mode, it does most certainly takes resources away, as you're running an extra shard. You're basically just asking for a portal that takes you to a forge/gorge like world within sandbox. Just make a new mode separated from sandbox, and it will be less headache on the devs, while having the same result.

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Because instead of trying to cram everything into the surface or caves shard (which as I said are ALREADY stretching limits..) They can INSTEAD have alternate SAVE Files.

In other Words: let’s say default DST is forest/caves/ruins.

But a DST New Game + is Moon/Moon Caverns/The Dark side of the Moon.

Since you're not on PC, I'll tell you, each shard has its own independent save file. After the update that added the lunar biome and the Ancient Archive, I decided to regenerate only the cave shard by meddling with the cave, and only the cave save file.

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

There is no longer a Forest or Caves because in the next chapter of Adventures the NEW locations replace them.

Aside from that: having chapters for a Adventures (aka campaign mode) allows us to have to survive to a Specific CHAPTER or do a Specific THING to unlock playable characters:

The problem with WES in DST is he is unlocked from the start- and anyone regardless of their skill level can pick & play as him, IN DS Single Player to even Unlock WES you had to luck up on finding him in Chapter 3 of Adventures Mode.

(in other words in order to even play as Wes you had to be skilled enough to unlock him) 

At the end of Charlie’s storyline for DST I want to unlock her same as I did Maxwell (the Bad guy of DS Solo) and I want her to be absurdly OP and good but also hard to use- and in order for the game to KNOW that the player has any rights to use her: They’ll have to have completed the adventure mode.

You're literally describing the single player game now. While it doesn't have skins, the game still holds up quite well. It has 2 DLCs with tons of content. I have played for hundreds of hours, is very good, I recommend it.

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now as far as your Question about who all goes and who all stays in old Worlds: have you ever done a boss fight in Ark Survival Evolved? Basically the players stand on a teleportation pad and a circular dome covers them and they teleport to the new location.

With DST EVERYONE would need to be in this teleportation area: Or No one goes anywhere- But once you DO teleport to Say Chapter 2: Chapter 1 is deleted and the game no longer has that data to have to remember.

It allows Klei to continue to add stuff to the game, across multiple chapters and different worlds, with progression based unlockable characters & without having to worry about how much content can they cram into a single Forest/Cave shard before my Xbox One explodes.

That's a horrible idea. I like to build bases, and improve my world with cool designs, I don't like my work to be disregarded just to play some railroaded experience, and I'm sure Klei also don't want to just craft a quick experience, have everyone play that for a while, then put out a DLC worth of content a few months later and everyone forget about the previous one. DST is not an MMO.

If you really want a new world, the best you can do is ask Klei to improve their networking code and performance and get them to add a third shard. I really doubt few people are willing to just delete the world permanently just to move to a new DLC. Specially with how rich of content regular don't starve is, do you realize how long it will take for this "chapter 2" to be as rich as what we have as baseline?

Mike23Ua    10058

Okay well for one: I own single player DS and all it’s dlc- not only do I own it.. but I’ve completely Mastered it.

Spoiler

B3E3D9EA-382B-433D-9A42-BB4F81DE6C5C.thumb.jpeg.e1801d09a315d9bdab6a478077155df9.jpeg

54444C58-E439-4053-9EC7-CD860E2C2586.thumb.jpeg.4b891af9d9ab4939c8e745136cc5820b.jpeg

and Two: DST could have an adventures mode, and it could be as deep as “Portal Knights” on Xbox One.. 

The game already has Survival, Endless and Wilderness Mode:

What exactly is so Forbidden about Adventures Mode?

Why are you Assuming Adventures needs to be anything Like Single Players? What if instead of finding a portal in a Pre-existing world: We instead choose a Adventures mode as our starting Mode Choice which by default: Puts us in Chapter One.

There is no third server shard I have absolutely no idea what your on about there.. (I’m assuming you mean dying and returning to sandbox mode to try and find the doorway again, a step I just completely removed from the equation by giving it its own dedicated mode..)

People who choose to play Adventures Mode will be bound to the HOST- the Host will have final say over if they move to Chapter 2 or Stay in Chapter 1.. but after all if you don’t want to go to a new chapter: Don’t play the game in Adventures Mode.

Same as how if you don’t want your worlds deleted when you die, play in Endless Mode.

Alright so adventures spawns players in chapter 1 skipping the whole finding the doorway in from a pre-existing world process.

Players who opt to play Adventures Mode will be tasked with most of the same tasks of Solo DS: Finding parts to assemble a portal and move to the next chapter.

But UNLIKE DS Solo: These can be tied to keys we get from bosses to slot into the door way or something.

Finally: Once the players leave chapter One & move to Chapter Two, Chapter One is erased forever for that save and that data no longer exists in your consoles memory.

The TL:DR- there are WAYS to make an adventures mode work in DST and I assure you that Borderlands a game that came out in 2009 before DS was even a thing- didn’t have 18-25 shards running all at once: But it still had a New-U station that let you and up to 3 friends teleport to a new map location.

And I dunno about you but I like the idea of progression locked characters, and each chapter of DSTs adventures mode being its own unique thing:

We could start in a default DS world end up in chapter two of an underground forge themed world, Chapter 5 could take us to the moon to combat return of them and free Charlie from their influence.

I mean DST really has a chance here to be a larger than life video game. It has the “potential” to rival Minecraft in popularity if really done right.

We just have to stop thinking that Adventures mode needs to run on a hundred different server shards- and instead start thinking that each chapter we progress forward through- deletes the old chapter and we no longer even have to consider 1-3 different shards.

Dunk Mujunk    2135
2 hours ago, CremeLover said:

...what?

I'm sorry, but whatever the reason consoles don't have custom world gen, is definitely not because of the power of the console.

Buy your lotto tickets now, because I am gonna have to back Mike on a piece of this. He said-

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Which as far as I know is correct. We do not have an option for "more" in the world settings on consoles (PS4 either) because performance can start to tank on a world around 400-600 days (at least with split screen), under normal circumstances. My favorite world (around 1200 days I think) is currently unplayable with my wife split screen. If I was to go out of my way to mega base from the start of the world I could tank performance solo pretty easy.

I also think the maximum possible size of a console world is smaller than the maximum possible size of a PC world, but I'm not 100%. Might need a dev for that answer.

Anyway that's all. I've honestly skimmed most of this, just wanted to chime in on that point.

Hornete    8529
7 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I also think the maximum possible size of a console world is smaller than the maximum possible size of a PC world, but I'm not 100%. Might need a dev for that answer.

image.png.89e897883db5c35d8008ce5188d20ab6.png

Yup! I can confirm that, though interestingly the smaller maximum sizes are only for PS4 it seems, Xbox gets the same world sizes as PC.

Cheggf    3322
On 2/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Okay so now your saying it’s not possible, it’ll never work, that many worlds running at once on different shared shards would blow your PC/Console up.

And you would be correct in thinking that: but that’s why it’s called THROUGH THE PORTAL as in once you go through the portal you can never return back to the previous World- just like in Solo DS you couldn’t go back to chapter 1 unless you died and lost all progress..

Its not trying to load 5+ different worlds you can hop between at once, instead it loads only ONE world and the previous one no longer exists.

But solo DS has one person in the world. Ever. It is completely impossible for another person to ever enter your game in any way ever without modding it. Going into adventure mode shutting the server down just wouldn't work in multiplayer, every single person who would ever want to be on the server for the next however long you're in adventure mode would need to be present to go in, and if even a single one of them didn't want to go in then too bad I guess. And what about people trying to join after someone's already started adventure mode?

If adventure mode were to be added it would need to be its own gamemode like Forge & Gorge since then those issues aren't present. But if they're going to put in work on gamemodes completely separate to the main game I would prefer if that work were done on the much more interesting Forge & Gorge than Don't Starve Except...

2 hours ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

I'd rather it be a "gateway" to a new shard. If that's likely to happen. Dunno if the 32 bit system can handle it or not.

It's not about whether or not it's technically possible, because as long as your computer isn't extremely bad it is. The issue is that every shard is its own dedicated server. Servers already need to run two servers just to enable caves/ruins, adding more shards is probably very unlikely to happen due to the additional performance impact. I've already seen Mike complain about console performance so adding more stress to them probably wouldn't be great.