Well-met    5261

I agree and you are correct.

What to do? You could instore a small nerf on all other characters and exempt Wilson from it. This is an alternative to a straight "buff".

• Like 2

Slagger    2073
2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Kevin fought for not changing Wilson pretty well during the Strange New Powers update in the original DS, his point being he is the default baseline character and doesn't need more than his beard. It made sense back then, Wilson didn't have huge perks but didn't really have downsides either as he's the default character, but in DST Wilson isn't the default character anymore when the whole roster is available to begin with (minus paid). So whether or not his original DS design has the same purpose isn DST up for debate I suppose.

Yes, I know he is the default guy but let's think about character and how they traveled world.

Most of people saying Maxwell "kidnapped" them but I think that's not correct.

In Winona's trailer we saw how Charlie kidnapped Winona and Waggstaf but Maxwell prefer to making kind of contracts to take them. Don't know why, maybe bc of fun or his power is not enough to take them without asking. But we are sure he makes deals because we saw it in Wigfrid and first trailer about Wilson.

image.thumb.png.532cb6c53c7b35f78a88a66f14e74d60.pngimage.thumb.png.8f2806788bbc34c92191747552d129a9.png

Now the thing I wonder about...
Wendy's deal was her sister and she got it.
Warly's deal was his mother's health and he probably got it.
Wigfrid's deal was making Wiking rp (lol) and she got it.
And Wilson's deal was secret knowledge. He got it but he just builded a portal. Was that all really? He is just a regular person even after getting control of throne for a moment. So why Wilson really did this deal? What did he got? Could his next rework be about this? Or will he stay as regular booring person?

• Potato Cup 1

ArubaroBeefalo    8493
18 minutes ago, Slagger said:

And Wilson's deal was secret knowledge. He got it but he just builded a portal. Was that all really? He is just a regular person even after getting control of throne for a moment. So why Wilson really did this deal? What did he got? Could his next rework be about this? Or will he stay as regular booring person?

He got the knowledge for that he could survive in the constant by crafting stuff and crafting stations included the ones who unlock nightmere fuel recipes

Now, since all character have it, it seems like wilson didnt learn anything but think about how nonsense is to see a little girl crafting stuff only avaraible if you have access to that secret knowledge. 

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1

Erineyes7    230

The only real thing I want him to have is a good healing item alternative, similar to the healing salve,but easier to make. It just fits him imo.

• Like 2

ShadowDuelist    8346

I think Wilson should remain the basic character with no downsides, and if he is to get new perks those can maybe assist others in the learning process of the game: 

EG:

- a new, cheap and ridiculous craftable beard hat he can make, that provides a little resistance against everything (cold, heat, water). Sort of like a straw hat and rabbit earmuffs combined.

- A way to revive dead players as if he always had a telltale heart, but without one

- Maybe making more insighful comments on what he needs, or being able to give more information on how to obtain materials and throw some tips sometimes, so he becomes a mobile tutorial-ish. Experienced players should be able to disable all that In the settings.

- When his beard is fully grown, other players can’t resist but comment how magnificent it is (Like when they bow to the bee queen crown)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

- When his beard is fully grown, other players can’t resist but comment how magnificent it is (Like when they bow to the bee queen crown)

Now that is something I never knew I wanted in this game.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

- a new, cheap and ridiculous craftable beard hat he can make, that provides a little resistance against everything (cold, heat, water). Sort of like a straw hat and rabbit earmuffs combined.

Oh God, at first I didn't notice the word hat in the sentence and I thought you were suggesting a craftable beard, and now imagine giving it to the other survivors and them just walking around and wearing a fake beard made of Wilson hair.

Anyways I'm glad most people agree. Seeing as how many characters' playstyles revolve around their advantage/disadvantage, it would be nice to keep one character unbound to all that stuff.

And I also noticed some of you talking about how some characters could use a nerf, and I totally agree with that as well. Some downsides barely affect you in game (while others can really mess you up), and it really takes away the biggest thing Wilson has going for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GenomeSquirrel    1067
39 minutes ago, ShakerGER said:

We need more uses for beard hair besides a one player revive. That is what his refresh truely needs.

But he’s an awful source of beard hair,    It would oddly be a buff to Abigail and Bernie.

Sacri    54

Since he is kind of a mad scientist, maybe a crafting tab that's only available when he is insane would fit the chatacter. This way new players, that usualy can't handle insanity that well, would not have easy access to his perk, keeping him mostly unchanged for them, but at the same time gives an advatage to experienced players and also may actually help the new players in a otherwise difficult situation (insanity).

Maybe the recipies in such tab could be variations of existing itens, and would be unlocked when the player already prototiped the regular version (like the better healing salve someone sugested), or maybe a range of potions, idk, something like that.

• Like 2

Well-met    5261
44 minutes ago, Sacri said:

Since he is kind of a mad scientist, maybe a crafting tab that's only available when he is insane would fit the chatacter. This way new players, that usualy can't handle insanity that well, would not have easy access to his perk, keeping him mostly unchanged for them, but at the same time gives an advatage to experienced players and also may actually help the new players in a otherwise difficult situation (insanity).

Maybe the recipies in such tab could be variations of existing itens, and would be unlocked when the player already prototiped the regular version (like the better healing salve someone sugested), or maybe a range of potions, idk, something like that.

This would only teach players that insanity is a desirable effect, when it usually is not.

Cheggf    3006
1 hour ago, ShakerGER said:

We need more uses for beard hair besides a one player revive. That is what his refresh truely needs.

Technically it's also fuel and used in making Bernie. But Wilson's beard doesn't give enough of it to be a good fuel source and Wilson can't make Bernie...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, legalized arson said:

So with the 3 new refreshes coming to DST, I heard people talking about a Wilson rework.

But isn't the fact that he has little to no advantage/disadvantage the whole thing about his character? Wouldn't reworking him break his entire character? I'm not coming after Wilson mains or anything, but I'm just genuinely curious about how exactly a Wilson rework would go without ruining the entire purpose of his character. So, to those who asked for the Wilson refresh, what do you have in mind? What would change? I'm really interested into hearing your opinions on the matter.

As a person who enjoys the simple Wilson playstyle, idk how I would feel about changes. HOWEVER, a refresh would put up his non-weavable skins on the regular shop and his GoH skin is absurdly expensive, so I can't wait to be finally able to weave it.

I want a beard hair change and thats it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really hope they don't change him. There needs to be a character for people starting out, and he is the only current viable option. I also like the idea of a bland plain character.

• Thanks 1

GenomeSquirrel    1067
2 hours ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

he is the only current viable option

Willow, Winona, WX, Wickerbottom

They might have tacked on extras, but they do the fundamentals the same

Mike23Ua    9928

My opinion on this remains unchanged: Wilson in DST is picking up where the events of DS Single Player Ended by this point in the game he has Quested through 5 randomly generated worlds of pure torture and whatever Maxwell can throw at him, died a lot, learned a lot.. and even choose to “Forgive” Maxwell and take Pity upon him freeing him from the nightmare throne and taking his place upon it.

The Wilson we know in DST will have learned new things, both from all the surviving he did through everything Maxwell threw at him AND from whatever being on the Shadow Throne may have did to him.

As an Xbox One Player without access to mods I look at each and every single character (including Wes) as A way for Klei to offer me up a brand new & exciting way of playing their game, and to do that: Characters need unique skills, things they can do, Craftable items, Mobs that only they can interact with SOMETHING!?

In my opinion Wilson, Wes & even slightly Wolfgang- All are pretty much blank slates: as in they only have a few increased or decreased raw stats and maybe a gimmicky beard or inability to speak.. but other than that they’re all equally boring.

Compare the three I just mentioned to any of the reworked or dlc characters and you’ll quickly understand WHY They’re so boring.

To slightly drive home a point: most players playing on PC seemed to hate Walter, they called him a quote “Mis-mash of random Workshop Mods”

But over on Xbox things are quite different: People seem to LOVE Walter, I can hardly join a room where there isn’t at least one Walter- And that’s also taking into consideration that Walter is currently glitched and crashes peoples Xbox consoles.

What PC players saw as disappointing, Xbox players saw as unique and fun.

And that’s exactly how every single last character SHOULD be.

When I ask for Walani in DST, I want her because she would fulfill a (not yet existent in the game) Surfer/seafaring role.. I can get out and explore sea content faster then other characters.. it’s something unique, and totally fitting of who Walani is.

So for Wilson to stay completely boring... will just feel like a wasted character slot to me.

Klei Needs to deliver on their original promise:

9CD295C4-4E8C-4E6F-B442-389D88FF234D.thumb.jpeg.89d70ff9d29fba48c4dde415bf316f23.jpeg

That means characters like Wilson, Wolfgang and even Wes... need to change for the better.

Give them unique, interesting, valuable & game changing.

Edit: and also with all the changes they’ve done to the game as well as the upcoming QOL update for more World Gen related stuff... the character you pick to play as should NEVER be the single defining factor of how easy or how hard your gameplay is gonna be.

Edited by Mike23Ua

redrosequack    153

*pushes glasses up* as an entirely unbiased party, I believe a potential wilson rework should be balanced and lore-conforming. It should not outshine the others and should not overpower the others. As such, I propose the potential wilson rework give him two Uzis, a rocking ten-pack, some hot babes to hang off his arms, a sleeveless biker jacket, a motorcycle, free healthcare, winning lotto numbers, a trip to Malibu with Kim Kardashian, a dedicated cereal brand, a--

In all honesty, I don't mind either way. If he gets a rework, awesome! If he doesn't, great! All I ask, like many others, is a few more uses for beard-hair. It doesn't even have to be anything particularly useful. Just, like, the Beard Hair Rug from Hamlet. Anything, please, my poor chests.

• Like 1

minespatch    84377
2 hours ago, redrosequack said:

a sleeveless biker jacket, a motorcycle, free healthcare, winning lotto numbers, a trip to Malibu with Kim Kardashian, a dedicated cereal brand, a--

5d60d865a61df_Wilsonshotpiggyride.thumb.png.9db51561d52d2309286d751c31dce16e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Slynxx    8

personally i think Wilson is fine as he is. he is a baseline character and ideal for a new player(cuz he has no overwhelming mechanics and his beard is useful to survive 1st winter)

but if i'd start thinking about "rework" i'd think about experiments (like the ones from Halloween event). just giving him something similar(maybe a special experiment tab) in addition to his beard will be enough(imho),

Warpspeed10    151

I think some experiments from the Mad Science Lab would fit Wilson thematically. It fits the trend of being able to craft character exclusive items to aid your friends like with Winowna and Wigfrid.

Edited by Warpspeed10

xxXolot    57

I love playing as him because I liked him as a character, but I always felt guilty playing as Wilson, like a minor version of guilt that someone may have when they are playing Wes. I find myself very rarely using meat effigy anyway & the world I play does not have a Willow, so for me this guy's only benefit really is just occasional fuel material, and beard start piling up even more if one can reliably kill shadow monkeys. I appreciate other character for the thing they are good at, and I want Wilson player to feel at least somewhat appreciated for small perks that can bring some team value.

He doesn't need any crazy ability, he is not even actually good at science. Just a bit something that can help a beginner out but not really good stuff.

Here is some copy pasta from the Wilson rework thread in suggestion forum the other day:

Spoiler
On 12/28/2020 at 10:32 PM, xxXolot said:

- start with a portable science machine that can be upgraded to a portable alchemy engine, both can be used by anyone, but can only be craft / disassembled by Wilson.

1. This can help absolute newcomer to immediately realize the importance of higher tier crafting, but wouldn't need to be pressured to find their first piece of gold. Still need some gold to upgrade to portable alchemy engine.

2. Team contribution wise, can help other player to prototype on spot at early game.

3. As players prototype more recipes, this thing become much less useful and a waste in inventory spot, so it's just good enough to start but not really good.

4. He is the staple scientist wannabe in the game! This just fits the trait that he likes to do new science, but is not good enough to come up with his own unique new thing.

- prototype gives him 25 sanity instead of 15

an intentionally useless perk in late game but perhaps help on newbie to not get bothered by shadow monster in early game.
also fit the trait that he likes to do new science.

- Can craft and use healing salve and honey poultices faster for 0.5 second instead of usual 1 second.
- Have a different quote when examining a player that has health below 1/2 and another one below 1/3.
- Boost healing effect when Wilson used it on himself or others. 

(+5hp / +10hp / effect x1.25 / effect x1.5 etc., the one that doesn't feel broken I guess)

This is going to be the most major buff he is going to get. As people have been pointing out, he has been somewhat associated with being a doctor. This would let him contribute in combat other than easy beard material for let team make effigy as just one of the reviving option. And Bernie if there is a Willow I guess.

This is differentiated with Wortox's small AoE healing, more of the individual bigger amount healing.

bonus could be applied to booster shot / telltale heart, but boost shot can't be used on other people and telltale heart is pretty much magic and not a doctor thing so should probably just be left as it is.

Also since he isn't great at creating new stuff, he ain't getting more unique crafting recipes.

Above would be my idea of Wilson rework, it's pretty simple and boring but at least it pretty much fit his character.

-
Other interesting tweak I can think of is maybe he can have insanity aura when he has full of beard that applies to everyone but himself, because his beard is probably pretty gross to everyone else / beard is associated with insanity. On the other hand, he would have sanity Aura when he has no beard due to some kind of protagonist charm I guess? although still only applies to other people. This can create some interesting beard managing situation.

Or maybe some extra damage modifier to shadow creature due to getting accustomed to nightmare because of the throne event?
This can help a newbie fight when they went insane and probably be pretty useful for nightmare cycle, other wise is a pretty useless perk.
but honestly this is quite a stretch and should probably just be tossed.

On 1/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, xxXolot said:

I even think we could focus on character specific recipe that use beard so Wilson player could feel a bit worth playing with anyone that’s not Willow.

A ghostly elixir for Wendy that revive Abigail with penalty that set her back to previous level, a book for Wickerbottom that summon shadow monsters that would aggro the summoner regardless of sanity, bring the Perfect Disguise to DST for Webber so he can have easier time making friend with pigs / can even share it with Wortox, a ballad for Wigfrid..... I ran out of idea lol

Edited by xxXolot
  • Like 1