Dragonboooorn

Dear Klei, please stop killing loyal-skins exclusivity

Recommended Posts

Dragonboooorn    469
29 minutes ago, PeterA said:

Hey all, thanks for the feedback here! Joe already mentioned our intentions for these rewards items, but I'll add some more details.

The original items should have been converted to Timeless rarity, and the reward page items would be a new Loyal variant, that was my oversight. I'm in the process of correcting that now, but it's going to take a few days to get all the builds updated and rewarded items converted over to the new variant. I hope to have this resolved by later next week.

Thanks! I was a bit harsh about loyal skins. I just felt sad because I thought you were trying to please newplayers and forgot about old ones. Everyone should have a chance and all that... Thanks again for Timeless versions!

Edited by Dragonboooorn
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shosuko    2616

I'm glad they give the opportunity to get them again.  I've received almost every time exclusive skin since DST launched and I love seeing other people get them now.  Good on Klei for making things accessible!  Not everyone logs every day, or watches twitter like a hawk to get these things, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to enjoy them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    83654
2 hours ago, PeterA said:

 I'm in the process of correcting that now, but it's going to take a few days to get all the builds updated and rewarded items converted over to the new variant. I hope to have this resolved by later next week.

5af1091ee1310_LadyWickerbottomliberty.thumb.png.c2260e43ce6d299636ff9e2bf8d32cf5.pngSo.... A chance for me to finally get the tencent skins after so many years?5878631c89a0f_arielhopeful.png.1f7a67a2dadbc8434db10fb218d757d0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monkey Cups    525

Not everyone who missed out on some of these skins is "new". I don't have the bottomless firepit because I had no idea DST was even a thing, but I've been playing Don't Starve since before Reign of Giants. I don't see the point of keeping anything exclusive unless you're trying to sell it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0bit    1261

if youre a collector and you literally are incapable of collecting something because you didnt even start playing the game until like months after exclusive items dropped that kinda sucks

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chesmu    212

Look, if they gave away the items attached to merch purchases, you would be right, tho for these skins? it's just weird to get angry because someone else can also use it, you also got it for free; Btw it's not even free, earning Klei points also required participation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Souper    202

This doesn't make sense. A loyal skin is supposedly given to players who are loyal to the game. I've played this game for a long ass time, but I missed out on the entire crystalline collection when it initially launched. I was super upset, because that sweet sweet glass eyebrella was so coveted for me. Then they put it back on the market, and I was able to get the skin I wanted! Exclusives, although novel and unique, are kinda just a horrible idea. People miss out on things they like, even if they are long time players and fans of the game. Making an item entirely exclusive is just weird. I play this game a lot, but because I missed a season I miss out on an entire set of cool looking items for a game that is near and dear to my heart?

I say either:

1. maintain the covetousness of the item by initially releasing it as an exclusive item, but allow the ones who missed out to participate at a later date. That way you get vastly earlier access to hot items, but others get their share as well.

2. Same as 1, except make them only accessible through purchase at a later date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 1:42 PM, PeiperPires said:

What's wrong with that? If you only enjoy the skins bc they have a different rarity, them the problem is with you. Think of the people that couldn't get it, or the new players that didn't even have the chance to get them. They're just skins with a different label 

the point of a loyal skin is that they are supposed to be event specific, that is their point, ofc it sucks to not get one but I mean "think of all the people that couldnt get it" is a pretty **** argument for why exclusive items shouldn't exist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlternateMew    740
On 2/4/2021 at 3:04 PM, Fuffles said:

I mean, the only Loyal Skin that should truly remain gone is the Bottomless Firepit

Heyyo I have this one.

Please let other people have it too. It's a fantastic skin and I ALWAYS use it on my cave firepits. If it must remain special, then release a clone of it in another rarity. Let people use cool skins!

I understand the proof-of Purchase ones, although those are also enabled for the Marketplace so I don't have much issue with those.

  • Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
__IvoCZE__    9011
1 hour ago, AlternateMew said:

Heyyo I have this one.

Please let other people have it too. It's a fantastic skin and I ALWAYS use it on my cave firepits. If it must remain special, then release a clone of it in another rarity. Let people use cool skins!

I understand the proof-of Purchase ones, although those are also enabled for the Marketplace so I don't have much issue with those.

It would kinda break my heart if it got a different rarity, since I didn't get dst in time ( I still got the OG cyclum tragic torch)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    9702
1 hour ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

It would kinda break my heart if it got a different rarity, since I didn't get dst in time ( I still got the OG cyclum tragic torch)

What about console players? I’m pretty sure I’ve had the games and their dlcs since the day they became available- shouldn’t I be one of those people who were considered as being there since the beginning? :wilson_cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

forgive me but I haven't been able to find this info anywhere else (or maybe I 've been incorrectly phrasing my searches?) but why does timeless rarity matter more than loyal? I've played DST since 2017 but never paid much attention to skins (until now that is) which means I've got only a few timeless skins and missed quite a lot over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fuffles    4216
2 hours ago, OsiriCousland said:

forgive me but I haven't been able to find this info anywhere else (or maybe I 've been incorrectly phrasing my searches?) but why does timeless rarity matter more than loyal? I've played DST since 2017 but never paid much attention to skins (until now that is) which means I've got only a few timeless skins and missed quite a lot over the years.

It doesnt. Timeless' only difference is a slightly more teal tint compared to Loyal, I see no point in Structure Timeless Skins since there is no way to see it being timeless or loyal, so its just a way to clutter your inventory more

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fuffles said:

It doesnt. Timeless' only difference is a slightly more teal tint compared to Loyal, I see no point in Structure Timeless Skins since there is no way to see it being timeless or loyal, so its just a way to clutter your inventory more

Well, the timeless skins you get from completing the puzzle so I think the timeless skins were supposed to be skins that were lore based and they kinda quit caring about it or forgot about it or something

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a group of people here so are like "It makes sense for it to be exclusive" and then there are a group of people like "its just a game, let everyone have the skin" and to anyone in this group, just because you might miss out or missed out on a skin does not mean they shouldn't be exclusive, you have two chances to get it and another chance to buy it with point earned by clicking links, "its just a game" is not a valid reason for not having exclusive skins neither is "pity the people who didn't get it"

 

potato cup me because you are stubborn and cant put in the effort to communicate

Edited by JustCrimson
  • Like 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlternateMew    740
36 minutes ago, JustCrimson said:

There is a group of people here so are like "It makes sense for it to be exclusive" and then there are a group of people like "its just a game, let everyone have the skin" and to anyone in this group, just because you might miss out or missed out on a skin does not mean they shouldn't be exclusive, you have two chances to get it and another chance to buy it with point earned by clicking links, "its just a game" is not a valid reason for not having exclusive skins neither is "pity the people who didn't get it"

I've got the mindset of a collector, just reigned in to not cause an unhealthy obsession. Having that, here's a comparative insight: I used to play on online adoptables sites, where you collect little images and "raise" them by getting them views and clicks. Two prominent ones worked very differently.

One had different weekly/monthly critters and after they were gone, they were gone. Holidays especially would never get another run, and were considered highly coveted. There was no transferring, so your ability to complete the collection if you joined late simply did not exist.

The other had breedable pets that allowed even newcomers to get old holiday ones, via the generosity of older users. These "re-releases" were not the more coveted first generation ones. They had a lineage proving they were second-hand. But you could still get them.

Guess which site I quit, and which one I kept playing until life hit a rough spot and took me elsewhere?

Spoiler

If you guessed I ditched the first one and kept the second one, you're right. Because even if you missed Round 1, there was always another chance. They were limited and coveted, but not impossible.

It's possible to keep something limited and yet not retired. Which is a fine road to take, for new and old, collectors and those who "just think they're neat" and those who want their shiny participation trophies alike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DST_LSJ    1399
On 2/5/2021 at 3:15 AM, JoeW said:

You get your time, they get theirs. It seems fair. 

Players in China do not have enough channels to get news about new rewards, unless he browses the website every day.

It often happens that some players miss the event. Just because he has been spending more time in the game than in refresh Weibo account.

Using points to redeem skins is a good choice.  But more importantly, spending more time watching streams means less time for games. This is contradictory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

I've got the mindset of a collector, just reigned in to not cause an unhealthy obsession. Having that, here's a comparative insight: I used to play on online adoptables sites, where you collect little images and "raise" them by getting them views and clicks. Two prominent ones worked very differently.

One had different weekly/monthly critters and after they were gone, they were gone. Holidays especially would never get another run, and were considered highly coveted. There was no transferring, so your ability to complete the collection if you joined late simply did not exist.

The other had breedable pets that allowed even newcomers to get old holiday ones, via the generosity of older users. These "re-releases" were not the more coveted first generation ones. They had a lineage proving they were second-hand. But you could still get them.

Guess which site I quit, and which one I kept playing until life hit a rough spot and took me elsewhere?

  Hide contents

If you guessed I ditched the first one and kept the second one, you're right. Because even if you missed Round 1, there was always another chance. They were limited and coveted, but not impossible.

It's possible to keep something limited and yet not retired. Which is a fine road to take, for new and old, collectors and those who "just think they're neat" and those who want their shiny participation trophies alike.

I'm not saying you should NEVER be able to get them, I just entirely disagree with people who think **** like "pity the people who didn't get it" have a bad argument and it you already have too much of a chance to get them, I think that at very least it would be cool for the current Loyal skins to transition to Timeless (or something similar to heirloom) or have a different lesser loyal set for people who didnt get the first wave but have a lesser version for people to be able to atleast have the skin

 

 

Spoiler

Off topic, I think Rainbow Six: Siege should do something similar to that or some way to get past skins because there are hundreds of skins that just sit there taking of file space (which will be solved in the next year) but it just pisses me off knowing that there are so many skins that were event exclusive or something and when I go to get a skin for a character I like there are only 2-3 to choose from because the other 6 were some kinda of shitty exclusive

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    9702
12 hours ago, JustCrimson said:

I'm not saying you should NEVER be able to get them, I just entirely disagree with people who think **** like "pity the people who didn't get it" have a bad argument and it you already have too much of a chance to get them, I think that at very least it would be cool for the current Loyal skins to transition to Timeless (or something similar to heirloom) or have a different lesser loyal set for people who didnt get the first wave but have a lesser version for people to be able to atleast have the skin

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Off topic, I think Rainbow Six: Siege should do something similar to that or some way to get past skins because there are hundreds of skins that just sit there taking of file space (which will be solved in the next year) but it just pisses me off knowing that there are so many skins that were event exclusive or something and when I go to get a skin for a character I like there are only 2-3 to choose from because the other 6 were some kinda of shitty exclusive

 

Why? All this is doing is cluttering the PlayStation & Xbox versions of the game with skins we can’t even get rid of. It’s annoying & confusing- & to be honest I wish it didn’t have to exist at all but, perhaps this was the only way Klei felt they should do it.

The TL:DR- I don’t think we need multiple tiers of the same clothing item unless I can unravel them for points or something.

Edited by Mike23Ua

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why? All this is doing is cluttering the PlayStation & Xbox versions of the game with skins we can’t even get rid of. It’s annoying & confusing- & to be honest I wish it didn’t have to exist at all but, perhaps this was the only way Klei felt they should do it.

The TL:DR- I don’t think we need multiple tiers of the same clothing item unless I can unravel them for points or something.

you really put a TLDR on 2 sentences

 

its not even annoying or confusing, if you think the current heirloom system is confusing thats on you (insert generic insult)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x0-VERSUS-1y    6918
On 2/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, JustCrimson said:

There is a group of people here so are like "It makes sense for it to be exclusive" and then there are a group of people like "its just a game, let everyone have the skin" and to anyone in this group, just because you might miss out or missed out on a skin does not mean they shouldn't be exclusive, you have two chances to get it and another chance to buy it with point earned by clicking links, "its just a game" is not a valid reason for not having exclusive skins neither is "pity the people who didn't get it"

 

potato cup me because you are stubborn and cant put in the effort to communicate

Hmm. Doesn't the Potato Cup reaction mean "take this prize" as in quite high/highest appreciation/regard for post that gains it? Aka uniqueness and all that?! If not.. then beats me. 2/3 of new post reactions are up to random interpretation and I believe they miss their intended mark: a clear agreement/disagreement statement. Old ones were at least clear in this regard.

 

Anyway. "Unique/loyal" items means value from their rarity. If they aren't rare, their inferred value considerably goes down. If you want to be a "completionist", then a special mindset and actions need to be taken. Having one-time items means true "completionists" need to be "in the race" from beginning. Else people should resign to the thought true "completionism" will never be accessible anymore in such system. And those one-time items have the highest "unique/loyal" inferred value. I for one prefer this idea of "highest unique/loyal". That's my preference and am ok even if is not the chosen route for future regarding past "unique/loyal" items going for the grabs yet again. Sure, they will lose their meaning and I for one will not use "the most unique" (let's say Bottomless Pit skin) but go for most subjectively appealing variant (Victorian Hearth). Since, yes, once more: perceived "unique/loyal" value has been lost because newly wide-conferred accessibility. At least that's the theory of why I for one consider "unique/loyal" items should remain like that - and not purchasable/weavable etc.

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*typo*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Hmm. Doesn't the Potato Cup reaction mean "take this prize" as in quite high/highest appreciation/regard for post that gains it? Aka uniqueness and all that?! If not.. then beats me. 2/3 of new post reactions are up to random interpretation and I believe they miss their intended mark: a clear agreement/disagreement statement. Old ones were at least clear in this regard

afaik, or atleast how I use it is in substitution for the confused emoji which was removed I assume because everyone used it as like a "you are stupid", if you actually wanted to give "high appreciation" you should use the regular like or thanks reaction

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now