Mysterious box

What do you think of Walter's slingshot

Mysterious box    532

Been wondering how people feel about Walter's slingshot personally I feel like the damage of gold and marble rounds should be increased while cursed rounds should have a different effect but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks.

Evalora    8

should gold be increased?

with its damage amount it becomes easily capable of sniping birds/rabbits, usually a net gain of 0.9 gold via pig king in lieu of feathers

in that sense it can easily be a default ammo and is fairly potent for being so self-perpetuating, + a bonus if you like krampus spawns

Edited by Evalora
  • Like 2

Mysterious box    532

My issue with it tho is unless your fighting birds or rabbits it tends to just be better to use a spear which you'll get off more than double the damage with in the same time frame slingshot just seems too slow to me so I personally thought boosting the damage across the board would be a good solution.

wons    502

well the slingshot and it's ammo types are the only thing that makes walter "ranged character" i think the entire "this is range character" should be expanded rather than giving him a lot of (almost) useless perks, i think that shotting time should be faster, since he throws 1 bullet 2 seconds which is slow and makes the bullets inferior to melee weapons, it's quite sad since i like the idea but in practice is just bad

Evalora    8

opportunity is the name of the game here, that gold 'spear' can gank critters that are a pain to get otherwise and allow engaging things that otherwise are very likely to deal some damage in the process like tentacles/bishops and the like

there's quite a few interesting combat applications you can pull off with them, and the 51 of marble is fairly intense (spike) given that marble is similarly self-perpetuating in that one marble --> 2 marble net in ~17 days per marble shrub, in lieu of marble suits (which don't mesh all that well with a ranged-capable char anyway) or just investing that hard into marble harvesting that can afford both (a good set of high-density yield being 24 shrubs, which ordinarily pays for 4 marble suits almost twice a 'month', but in this case that would be 240 tentacle spike's worth of ranged attacks or 12,240 damage, for probably less flint/gold expenditure than farming goes through currently - but you can generate gold, so..)

PeiperPires    126

Just like Winona, Walter released already needing a rework. For me he's just a bunch of random kinda useless perks, and the ranged atack that was supposed to be his main one got lost in between all the others. I just use him as a swap to avoid taming beefalos when i need to move marble and altar pieces. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MAMMAL_MAN    139

I feel like the slingshot is fine as it is, especially with how you can basically get infinite gold with it. Alot of creatures in the game can be easily taken down with the slingshot

• Like 3

Mysterious box    532

I feel like even tho the ammo for the slingshot is easy to come by the damage output of even marbles lose to a spear due to how slow it fires. And while it's true that the slingshot doesn't need to he a direct combat weapon half  of it's ammo types are based around damage. So far I only really find myself using his slingshot to farm birds and rabbits, and aggro cowardly mobs

• Like 1

Owlrus    4285

For general combat it's pretty niche in my opinion, but when it comes to farming canaries and gold nuggets it's insanely good. Just throw on a feather hat and stand next to a scarecrow and boom, instant morsel factory.

HeatAndRun    1843

Eventually you need to kite the attack since the attack animation is kinda slow.

Low dps with low resource efficiency, is what the slingshot's role right now.

A little more attack speed buff would make using slingshot actually viable.

• Like 1

Lbphero    3221

when i was playing walter, i found it pretty useful but all the same pretty slow and kinda cumbersome to use. 

Mysterious box    532

I also feel like his slingshot should be more than the critter slayer don't get me wrong you can get a fair amount of gold slingshoting birds but with very little extra work you could also setup a bird cage and spider nest next to pig king for a decent gold return as well without spending any gold in the first place aside from the cage.

Nettalie    394
3 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I think the slingshot is pretty good early game but doesn't really have much use later on. You can easily kill stationary enemies like tentacles and scaredy critters like birds, rabbits and koalefants, as well as fight some other hard-to-kite enemies (like Krampus) pretty effectively if you run as far as possible when they taunt.

Later into the game, though, it hardly has any uses, like his other perks. You have next to no reason to regularly kill critters and tentacles, kiting everything is easier with a walking cane and/or magiluminescense, and its damage is awful even with the best bullets (some of which are really grindy. see: marble). Trying to act as ranged damage for your team isn't effective because you don't do much damage, you can spend a lot of bullets on tougher enemies and you draw aggro which interrupts everyone trying to kite the enemy.

Yeah I honestly agree here. The slingshot has a few smaller uses early on but overall it is just better to use regular weapons most of the time.

Tentacles, sure I guess, grabbing aggro, maybe? If you dont have an icestaff sure.
Other than that though I find the slingshot to just be kind of okay at best and awful compared to what other options you have at worst.

Viktor234    5392

It's cheap enough to use it for birds, but the damage output (and accuracy) is too low to use it effectively against mobs. You can avoid taking damage when attacking mobs with the Slingshot but you still need to kite due to its slow attack speed.

Increasing its cost and damage would turn it more into a weapon rather than a bird farming tool.

Cheggf    2551
21 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I also feel like his slingshot should be more than the critter slayer don't get me wrong you can get a fair amount of gold slingshoting birds but with very little extra work you could also setup a bird cage and spider nest next to pig king for a decent gold return as well without spending any gold in the first place aside from the cage.

It's really good at tagging cowards, killing tentacles, and freezing bishops.

ArubaroBeefalo    7965

i think for solo isnt that much but with more people is so useful so he is a quite good support/range fighter with a team. Good crowd control and the ability to change aggro to help team mates

also pretty fun to play as him

edit: increasing a little the damage or the atack speed wont hurt tho

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

HowlVoid    1407

I don't think his slingshot needs a rework as it has its uses. My problem is the constant sanity drain when he takes the slightest amount of damage. It isn't a good trade off for the subpar weapon the slingshot is. I would think that a boy scout of all things wouldn't be afraid of a few bruises. Slingshot means easy morsels for easy small jerky to top off his hp and sanity anyways, so it just breaks the flow of battle/makes fights longer. Needing to constantly chug food when you miss a dodge all for default dps.

Edited by HowlVoid

1bubbainpa    3293

With the new farming update, Walter can reliably get a friendly scarecrow and place it in a crow-only zone by day 10-15 if the farm yields a pumpkin. Canaries yield regular morsels 90% of the time, so they can be used as meat fillers or to trade in with pig king to mass farm gold earlier without going to the ruins.

Other than that though, I feel like the game would need harder bosses before Walter’s slingshot would start to shine. Currently, he serves as a pseudo glass-cannon where if he gets hit one too many times, he will instantly become insane.

• Like 1

ShadowDuelist    8229

The damaging rounds are fine, the problem I see with the slingshot are the crowd control ammo: They are either too unreliable or too expensive to be useful at any point in the game.

The freezing rounds are not really worth making compared to just crafting an ice staff, and the slow round is not worth making at all. The poop pellets are cheap enough but their effect is too unreliable to be used over a marble round.

My suggestions:

- Poop pellets should have a longer lasting effect, specially for those enemies with herd mentality. This would be useful to temporally scare away hounds, spiders or beefalos, which are the most common enemies you’d use it against. 

- Freezing rounds and Slow rounds should have AOE upon hitting a valid target (Slow probably having a larger AOE given its more expensive to make)

These changes would turn the slingshot into a strong crowd control weapon, that alternatively can deal some damage should you need it to. And it would be worth keeping as a side weapon even on the late game.

• Like 4

A random guy    92

I think the slingshot its way too slow,with the marble rounds having less DPS than a spear.

upping the damage of them is a bad idea,but i'd say maybe making them a bit faster will be of great use,since Walter's downsides discourage the use of melee combat,i'd say he atleast should be able to defend himself.

• Like 4

landromat    1926

he needs late game slingshot upgrade with regular attack rate, 2 times faster than current one. Some thulecite moon stone slingshot