Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

7 minutes ago, Toros said:

I stopped reading here because it's clear you're either unable or unwilling to have a meaningful discussion.  I assume you're ok with me mentioning you in the future if I have definitive evidence you were wrong?

See as a realist I would read other 2 points no matter what the first point is; Because If I don't read them, they will not disappear.

1 minute ago, Chesmu said:

See as a realist I would read other 2 points no matter what the first point is; Because If I don't read them, they will not disappear.

I knew they existed, and also that they weren't worth worrying about.

You didn't answer the question though.

Just now, Toros said:

Calm down, no need to have a bar fight.

So are you willing to have a meaningful discussion about the actual topic, which are 2) and 3), about Tencent and stuff?

2 hours ago, Toros said:

As a consumer I appreciate this information but from reading this it sounds like Klei has given up their autonomy and won't be able to grow as a company or accomplish goals they weren't already on pace to accomplish.  The assumption some people have made is that with Tencent backing Klei will be able to do more for their customers they otherwise wouldn't, instead of business as usual but without legal autonomy.

well now I’m just really really confused, if there’s going to be no changes to staffing, content updates, advancements in technical hardware etc and everything is just going to keep going at the same pace it always has, what was even the point of giving off ownership to Tencent? 
I was under the assumption that with their new found partnership this would allow Klei to do things they otherwise wouldn’t have been able to do without it (As that logically makes the most sense of why anyone would do it) 

I’m still hopeful for a 2021 Roadmap that restores some people’s faith & shows why this is a good thing for them as a company, and for us as the players that support their company.

I was hopeful they would outline what they plan to do for the foreseeable future, giving me exciting announcements that are going to help me much more easily convince my friends to buy and support their games.

With new PS5 & XSX consoles out there: I was even hopeful they would announce something on how they plan to support those consoles. (such as having higher world Gen options above being locked at default, or the world itself having more flora/fauna/atmosphere whatever you wanna call it: I’ll just call it pretty stuff for me to look at & further involve myself into the World around my character)

But now I hear that it’s not really going to change anything they weren’t already doing. So then, why was this change made to begin with?? So many mixed emotions all at once.. but I guess I’ll just have to wait & see what happens.

2 hours ago, Toros said:

Have to give you props for trying to convince so many of these young people on the forums that don't believe that Klei has no authonomy anymore. So many of them don't even realize what "Majority stake" means. So many of them don't even care that Tencent is partially owned by CCP and how big power imbalance is in China between CCP and private sector, they literally have to submit to everything CCP says, no matter the percentage of ownership. They also don't understand what atrocities China is committing in this day and age and are bringing back what other countries did in the past, instead of trying to not support something that is happening currently. 

Honestly i've read like first 28 pages of this thread and i only wrote my thoughts at page 12 or somewhere around there. There's literally no point in this topic being open anymore. In the first 10 pages you will know what are community's thoughts.

I can see why everyone wants to repeat what has been said just because they don't like this decision like many of us do, to express their disappointment in Klei's decision, there's also like 10-20 pages of people not understanding the situation.

I still believe that Klei Enterntaintment developers would not go around and start massively changing the game or monetization. What needs to be understood is that this decision is no longer in their hands, that's the most important sentence that has been repeated countlessly in this thread and denied by many.

I am in no way here to deny people being optimistic about the game though, i think that Klei Entertainment is probably going to do well with Tencent as they usually just buy companies and let the current devs work on their games, they may influence the decision in which the development will go but i think that game will overall be fine. I am mostly not supporting the decision because of CCP and what is currently happening in China. Honestly even if this wasn't the case, we all loved Klei for always being there for the consumer, so it doesn't matter which company buys them out, we know that they won't have control anymore and there's no company that will be as nice to us like Klei has been over the years.

15 hours ago, Chesmu said:

1) You call it faith, I call it realism! If things haven't changed recently, nor announced that way, then they are not. Yes, I will scream and run when my house is on fire, but why freak out when I'm not going to BBQ in a week? In my opinion it's better to live at the moment and be realist than to be paranoid and constantly worry about what "Might" happen, without any evidence.

There's a reason history is taught in schools. So people can learn from past mistakes. So they can avoid repeating them in the future. Large companies have bought small ones before and, generally, that does not go well. It being perfectly fine would be the exception not the rule and preparing for the exception is how you get caught with your trousers down.

12 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

I still believe that Klei Enterntaintment developers would not go around and start massively changing the game or monetization. What needs to be understood is that this decision is no longer in their hands, that's the most important sentence that has been repeated countlessly in this thread and denied by many.

Hmm, we know that Klei wouldn't go massively change the game, but we have to Believe they lost the decision, even tho we don't see any effect of it Irl.

I still see that freaking out people can't explain the situation and their point; All I hear for days is this: "Go read the Wikipedia", "Go to school", "Grow up", "CCP", "but CCP", "go read what I said", etc; All of this expresses a fear of conversation, and most importantly lack of evidence.

Here is what I suggest you do: Play your game, because you can always stop playing it.

2 hours ago, Monkey Cups said:

There's a reason history is taught in schools. So people can learn from past mistakes. So they can avoid repeating them in the future. Large companies have bought small ones before and, generally, that does not go well. It being perfectly fine would be the exception not the rule and preparing for the exception is how you get caught with your trousers down.

To disappoint you, that's not why they teach history. :) I would say why but this is not the place.

3 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

Hmm, we know that Klei wouldn't go massively change the game, but we have to Believe they lost the decision, even tho we don't see any effect of it Irl.

I still see that freaking out people can't explain the situation and their point; All I hear for days is this: "Go read the Wikipedia", "Go to school", "Grow up", "CCP", "but CCP", "go read what I said", etc; All of this expresses a fear of conversation, and most importantly lack of evidence.

Here is what I suggest you do: Play your game, because you can always stop playing it.

why don't you do the same and stop worrying about us people going monkey on a company that has just set itself on fire.
tenor.gif

Oh no :wilson_cry:

Good luck Klei. I wish that it will work out for you and that you'll be able to retain autonomy indeed. We were in the same situation in my previous company. After 2 years, the mother company started to push their processes and mindset to our team and started to influence our vision and development. 1 year after that, the team fell out as everything we loved about the job was stripped of and replaced by everything we wanted to avoid all along. I wish you better ending then we had. Stay awesome :wilson_love:

There is one crucial thing everyone needs to understand: A company that has reached a certian size is not longer working to satisfy the customers, it is working to satisfy the shareholders/managment.

If you sell a share of your company to a bigger company that operates under the assumption that eternal growth is possible and fastest growth is the best, you will suffer sooner or later.

I mean just look at Kerbal Space Program 2. Look at World of Warcraft. Look at Prison Archtiect. It's the same thing repeating over and over. I really don't get it how people are making the same mistakes over and over again.  Heck, look at Whatsapp. All of them were assured "creative control". But that is not how the market is operating.

I mean I don't have a family so it's a different standpoint here, but if I were to choose to risk my integrity for a paycheck I would immediately rather burn it to the ground. Yeah sure, everything is fresh now and everybody is excited, so no changes will happen in the near future. It is a creeping change, as always, it will come slowly in small increments, but it will come.

tldr:

"Do not give any power to a good goverment that you would not give to a bad government."

Your loyal fans rate this decision overwhelmingly negative. Your asset analysis was wrong, it is not employers, they can be changed, it is not money, it comes and goes, it is your fans because they stay.

this is sad and bad news "Tencent to purchase a majority stake in Klei Entertainment"

this will end bad . i really hope that you can change your mind but i doubt that

i hope that at least they won't ruin don't starve 

Also can't wait to get communist err i mean patriotic skins to get added

EtAHA6AXMAEEcwG.jpg.671de84247a6834ab3681db866c6b807.jpg

Archived