Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

9 minutes ago, Codedependent said:

No matter what a new majority owner says at the outset, they can vote to change those terms at any time... and guess what... they have a majority and will win that vote. This is so ******* sad.

That's the problem, since they own more then 50% they are the owners of Klei and that's bad :/

Just to add my 2 cents

I love Klei. I have all their games, multiple times, soundtracks, art, everything and even all skins. Not much time these days but you can see im not new in these forums either

On 1/22/2021 at 5:12 PM, Bigfoot said:

I want to take a moment to announce that we have agreed to deal for Tencent to purchase a majority stake in Klei Entertainment.

As part of this agreement, Klei retains full autonomy of creative and operations across all aspects of the studio, including projects, talent, and more. 

We have seen this countless times. This sentence is half truth at best. Yes Klei retains full autonomy but that means just very very little since they have "boss" now and boss invested money and now they want more money in return

Klei have full autonomy to make more money. So Klei can decide how to make more money and we all know there is not much choice here but they HAVE TO make more money. So what is different here? Tencent doesnt need to decide what games they do because they just want more money and its up to Klei.

Remember how Klei went trough making DLCs, sometime give it to testers for free or free skins, more manageable prices for games and other stuff? (remember puzzles???) FORGET ABOUT THAT. They are now in big boys league and we will get cancer other companies are doing to milk the most money from their customers

But yes they have full autonomy how to do it. GG

FYI "about user friendly Klei". They already made deal with Epic for Griftlands exclusivity. Deal with Apple for Hot Lava exclusivity so now i cant play the game i bought on Steam and i need to subscribe to some service to play one game. OH and about keeping their IPs? They aready sold Dont Starve IP to chinese so they can make completely garbage mobile game.

I am not surprised about this deal since Klei already made all the shitty deals. Im just sad my favourite gaming company i supported fully for several years became "this"

10 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

I'm not going to go off topic to say whether or not _____ is toxic, but just the fact that a Youtuber who's main content is DST, is quitting DST, that just shows that this has a massive impact, I'm not going to get into the debate about whether TenCent is good or bad, but the fact that them buying Klei Entertainment caused a DST Youtuber to stop making DST content, is a big deal

I think it's the 3rd time Edgy Rick is quitting DST c:

1 hour ago, t0panka said:

FYI "about user friendly Klei". They already made deal with Epic for Griftlands exclusivity. Deal with Apple for Hot Lava exclusivity so now i cant play the game i bought on Steam and i need to subscribe to some service to play one game.

Not sure- I bought both GL and HL recently on steam and played HL fully in a week. Nothing stopped me, it still turns on normally. Unless I misunderstood and you meant something else? Or has this happened so recently I barely bought them in time?

Just now, BezKa said:

Not sure- I bought both GL and HL recently on steam and played HL fully in a week. Nothing stopped me, it still turns on normally. Unless I misunderstood and you meant something else? Or has this happened so recently I barely bought them in time?

Griftlands was exclusively on Epic Store for long time. Just recently they could release it on Steam because the exclusivity deal ended

Hot Lava is impossible to play on Mac other than trough subscription for Apple Arcade. I have it on steam but Klei blocked mac version on Steam because of the exclusivity deal which AFAIK doesnt have expiration date

1 minute ago, t0panka said:

Griftlands was exclusively on Epic Store for long time. Just recently they could release it on Steam because the exclusivity deal ended

Hot Lava is impossible to play on Mac other than trough subscription for Apple Arcade. I have it on steam but Klei blocked mac version on Steam because of the exclusivity deal which AFAIK doesnt have expiration date

Oh. That actually really sucks.

43 minutes ago, t0panka said:

Source(s) for the apple arcade exclusivity terms? It would explain why Munch's Oddysee didn't get the Mac version on Steam despite there being one on the Mac App Store. :mad-new:

I feel like there's not much I can add to this conversation. This is a very concerning move from Klei; while I understand the desire to keep Klei employees financially stable enough to let their creativity flourish (after all, Klei has an exceptional reputation when it comes to treating their workers right), I have the opposite level of faith for Tencent's exceptionally anti-consumer reputation much like everyone else in this thread. I was definitely not a fan of the Blitzchung incident, and I hope that asanine level of censorship doesn't bleed into our community. I really hope data security is also included in the "full autonomy of creative and operations across all aspects of the studio". 

It's kind of ironic that I got into Oxygen Not Included recently because I was short of breath reading this.

I recently bought around 15 copies of ONI in the last couple of months to give to friends because A) I wanted to share the game with them because I am a mega fan and because of how Klei's early access of ONI played out, and B) I wanted to financially support Klei, and I have been a regular vociferous supporter of theirs all over every discord I am a member of...but this news has me seriously regretting all of that.

Yeah, I'm glad Klei are getting a huge payday, but I wish it was a) not a majority share and b) basically anyone else.

57 minutes ago, myxal said:

Source(s) for the apple arcade exclusivity terms? It would explain why Munch's Oddysee didn't get the Mac version on Steam despite there being one on the Mac App Store. :mad-new:

I dont know about that one. That could be just choice of developer. I havent heard any exclusivity with Mac App Store just with Apple Arcade service. All the games in Apple Arcade are available ONLY trough Apple Arcade, not even trough macOS/iOS stores, only with Apple Arcade subscription

Not even Klei said anything about Apple Arcade exclusivity which sucks big time so thats why IDK if this exclusivity is times but Apple Arcade is here for long time so i dont have high hopes. It would be great if at least Klei said that this is never coming anywhere else (and i bought Hot Lava because they said they will bring it to macOS, this exclusivity happened after that)

8 hours ago, WilliamGreywind said:

Well I guess I shall not be giving Klei my patronage anymore. I've already refused to buy Griftlands since they decided to make it an EGS exclusive when it was already being advertised for Steam. This is nothing more than a nail in the coffin in my desire to support Klei Entertainment anymore. Guess Klei doesn't Rhyme with Play anymore. I mean, after all, they don't need my money. They got their corporate investors giving them all the money that they need.

I meant that they couldn't do anything by sitting here and complaining on the forums, but I should have been more specific. 

Damn, you really murdered me with this comment though. Who knew that if you stopped buying products from a business then they stop getting your money? Color me surprised! :shock:

Honestly, I dont care all that much. Klei is one of my favorite all time studios and I trust their discussion. All I want to know is when we can expect to hear at least a hint of the next IP, sequel, or update for a base Dont Starve expansion.

8 minutes ago, Izzy248 said:

Honestly, I dont care all that much. Klei is one of my favorite all time studios and I trust their discussion. All I want to know is when we can expect to hear at least a hint of the next IP, sequel, or update for a base Dont Starve expansion.

Although I am saddened by this decision, I understand that they need more funds and that there may not be any way that we could talk them out of it. All I ask of them is to stay vigilant to stay in control and none of this changes the base formula/plan of the game that we fell in love within the first place.

7 minutes ago, Codedependent said:

Did his butcher and tailor also sell out to China?

PS: What does cotton taste like, and I guess I can ask Lady Gaga what meat feels like to wear.

If you dont get the comparation you have a problem not knowing how works the world

Also, is clear that the verbs are neing apply to the respective noum but you can eat whatever you wish

5 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

yeah genocide is morally wrong we agree so this is common ground for us to work off of.

I'm try to use  China's history to show you how the Chinese treat Jews and genocide. There is no doubt that Chinese oppose genocide. I oppose genocide. If someone believes that the Chinese government is committing genocide, whatever, I do not comment on it. I am not a government official.

For a long time there are many social conflicts in China. I do not expect to deal with these issues in a few years. This is a protracted war. Now you are talking about the genocide in China. I have seen how the media in other countries of the world report these news that happened in China. Frankly speaking, these reports are not very helpful in solving the problem. Things will not change because more people know. If you choose bad news to learn about China, you will not hear any good news over time.

I am not going to deny the news about China you have seen. But all the news you see is not necessarily all parts of news . Media reports with political stance can get more benefits. They will emphasize that George Floyd died in violent law enforcement. But they will not tell you that George Floyd has been in jail for drug trafficking crimes. 

If someone chooses a political position for his own benefit to oppose those political positions that are unfavorable to him, then he is a double standard. I am talking about the mainstream media that banned the Twitter account of the US President who has 70 million followers. They accused China of not having freedom of speech, but they blocked the Twitter account of the US President.

Prejudice will persist.

I am very disappointed with KLei. KLei sells DS to Tencent in order to make more money by selling DS IP. KLei had deviated from the belief that they originally founded the company that provided players with a better platform for their creativity. The image of Don't Starve New Home is awful. The new game destroys the image of the original DS.  Everything about New Home is for more money and satisfy their own greed.

Archived