Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

10 minutes ago, OmeletteBoy said:

By saying "tencent bought a majority stake" it means that they own more than 50% of the company or the resources of the company, meaning they have control over what happens in it.

That’s not entirely true, they don’t have any say over Klei’s ip’s and creative decisions from my understanding of it: It’s like they’re burrowing money from Tencent to do things that they could not have before. Tencents Stake is expecting whatever the outcome of loaning those resources to Klei to pay off and Klei can pay them back.

Sure Tencent could demand doing things this way or that way or they’ll pull their resources but thats a pretty extreme scenario, It’s not the same thing as studio “Acquisition” meaning they have final say over any and everything Klei does rather Klei likes it or not.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

That’s not entirely true, they don’t have any say over Klei’s ip’s and creative decisions from my understanding of it: It’s like they’re burrowing money from Tencent to do things that they could have before. Tencents Stake is expecting whatever the outcome of loaning those resources to Klei to pay off and Klei can pay them back.

Sure Tencent could demand doing things this way or that way or they’ll pull their resources but thats a pretty extreme scenario, It’s not the same thing as studio “Acquisition” meaning they have final say over any and everything Klei does rather Klei likes it or not.

I was afraid you were going to bring this point, yes, i forgot to state that KLei still has control over their IPs and creative part of the company, but for the rest, Tencent is who's boss as they own more of KLei than KLei themselves

2 minutes ago, OmeletteBoy said:

I was afraid you were going to bring this point, yes, i forgot to state that KLei still has control over their IPs and creative part of the company, but for the rest, Tencent is who's boss as they own more of KLei than KLei themselves

If that were true, I would have a game update tommorow and Tencents logo would be on the starting screen of the game, but I doubt the game will ever even get a Tencent logo outside of the China version that was already created in collaboration with Tencent.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If that were true, I would have a game update tommorow and Tencents logo would be on the starting screen of the game, but I doubt the game will ever even get a Tencent logo outside of the China version that was already created in collaboration with Tencent.

I don't understand this, i'm not saying anything false, the definition of adquiring a majority stake is to have over 50% of a property

4 minutes ago, OmeletteBoy said:

I don't understand this, i'm not saying anything false, the definition of adquiring a majority stake is to have over 50% of a property

I will try to explain, Tencent has been doing dealings with Klei since the start of DST, they helped distribute the DST through China, way back in 2016 if Tencent holds no ownership over any of Klei’s IP’s then they only own the Klei name.. and not the games and brands under that name.

So the worst that can happen is they’ll try to force Klei to do things they don’t want to do, then Klei will separate and with a little luck: Rebrand later.

They wouldn’t be Klei anymore obviously... but they would still be the people behind Klei with 15 years of experience between them to make themselves known again.

I highly doubt Klei would just willingly handover their entire studio without having an exit strategy should things go poorly.

But we will just have to wait and see, I’m trusting Klei to know what they’re doing.

1 hour ago, lunemoonie said:

I know right? I'm laughing at the amount of americans and europeans here crying because "you're funding the CCP!!! CCP kills muslims and it is bad!!" as if their countries are not responsible for wars, poverty, dictatorships all around the globe.

"Killing muslims is okay because this other country also does bad things"

"every single person in America and in Europe 100% agree with the actions that their country does. This means that

Blm is a racist group because it's in a country that harms poc."

I'm not saying that China as a country is a saint,

I know.

but you don't see people throwing that rage at Mark Z. for selling our data to the world and whatever.

You mean the same data breach that literally every news station was talking about? The one where ~400 million~ people got their personal data shown? The one that the company literally went to court on live Tv? 

That one?

they don't throw a fit to american gaming companies that give their employees terrible work conditions

Last of Us part 2 was hated for the fact that it had terrible working conditions tho. Like, the crunch was looked down on to the point people even said that the game shouldn't be a goty because of it.

Who told you that no cared about either of these issues and how does it change the fact that Tencent ~might~ be a bad company? 

It's okay to do whatever you want, as long as you're not chinese,

Sega

Rockstar

Naughty Dog

Nintendo

Sony

Microsoft

Valve etc

all have been called out for doing terrible things (some more than others) and none of them are Chinese. 

Also

"Other companies do bad thing so Tencent can do bad thing"

Can we please let that argument die? It's just a "haha gotcha you a hypocrite." and doesn't at all convince people that Tencent is going to run Klei into the ground or if Klei should even let them put thier name on their products.

2 hours ago, Pindeh said:

I think we can all agree that, if this goes downhill, we should pressure Klei to leave Tencent. Sure, they're a business, but they still listen the fans despite some dubious choices. 

Klei is a business trying to earn money, the community can complain and whine all they want, but I don't think much can be done, unfortunately. 

We'd just be clowns, honking our sad little clown noses, at a brick wall. 

24 minutes ago, Farlan said:

Klei is a business trying to earn money, the community can complain and whine all they want, but I don't think much can be done, unfortunately. 

We'd just be clowns, honking our sad little clown noses, at a brick wall. 

Well I guess I shall not be giving Klei my patronage anymore. I've already refused to buy Griftlands since they decided to make it an EGS exclusive when it was already being advertised for Steam. This is nothing more than a nail in the coffin in my desire to support Klei Entertainment anymore. Guess Klei doesn't Rhyme with Play anymore. I mean, after all, they don't need my money. They got their corporate investors giving them all the money that they need.

1 hour ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

ok then why don't you look inwards and look why we are not okay with our money being sent to helping genocide?

Do you think genocide is good and justified? I genuinely want to know.

1 hour ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

also you have still not addressed my previous rebuttal

I did not intend to change your opinion about that pay for money to Tencent means sent to helping genocide. This view of yours only comes from politically inclined media and subjective assumptions. This is a prejudice.

You are talking about genocide as a disaster on the Indian land that was occupied hundreds of years ago. Europeans in the early 20th century had prejudices against Jews. With the help of most Europeans, the Nazis sent the Jews into concentration camps. Europeans at that time generally supported the genocide of Jews. In this case, the Chinese took in Jews as partners in northern China. Now you firmly believe that the Chinese government is carrying out genocide.

Sorry, I only communicate with honest people. Now You don't need to reply to me again.

Honestly, I won't be able to believe in Klei as much as before if it will be about Tencent cause, clearly, it's coming from Tencent's mouth rather than theirs.

I hate to say it, but, I still wanna keep my respect to Klei for their work, even if this deal they did really questions the ethics of it all. Besides that, I'm not sure if they were pressured after seeing a DS mobile game copy being made to think that it might steal their Chinese players, but I doubt in this thought since there's a lotta DST players from there too.

The idea of WHY they did this is what really boggles me, I don't know what was their position but I thought they were at a comfortable spot where they were. But maybe they're trying to expand and the lack of resources and risky ideas might frighten to them, like relaunch gorge or forge, so they might have a more permanent solution if they work with Tencent.

Still, this is a big question for the community on Klei's morale of their business. We've seen them so far being, assumingly, honest to us as a community, but we still gotta keep in fact that they are a business, and they'll do in their best interest to get out there into the world and start expanding.

I can assume that DST might get much bigger as a game and community if this transfer of power, or just investment, works out well for them and us. Maybe we'll be able to have more gamemodes or worlds, a lot of more content to the game in general. Well, we can only hope that's the case, otherwise if not - why do we need to care about any of that besides feeling concerned for ourselves, our wallets and Klei's future of how'll we view them from now on?

If of all things, I would rather want to know what made this choice they did thinking we'll view this positively in any way, shape or form? Yea yea, I get the whole thing about finances... but, Klei, are you saying that you're actually struggling with the finances of hiring employees or that your workers? I wanna say I doubt it, since you've said you've given away millions to charities, but it feels a bit bull crap in some ways. As I said, if you're doing this to expand your company to get bigger, then I can understand that much, and so you've should have stated that without me putting my words here in text.

30 minutes ago, DST_LSJ said:

I did not intend to change your opinion about that pay for money to Tencent means sent to helping genocide. This view of yours only comes from politically inclined media and subjective assumptions. This is a prejudice.

You are talking about genocide as a disaster on the Indian land that was occupied hundreds of years ago. Europeans in the early 20th century had prejudices against Jews. With the help of most Europeans, the Nazis sent the Jews into concentration camps. Europeans at that time generally supported the genocide of Jews. In this case, the Chinese took in Jews as partners in northern China. Now you firmly believe that the Chinese government is carrying out genocide.

Sorry, I only communicate with honest people. Now You don't need to reply to me again.

Well thank you good sir but I believe we know our history books quite good and I cannot help but tell you that you can't rewrite history however tragic it was. Also I'd recommand you to pay attention to the said media before the assumptions turn into history in a few years.

30 minutes ago, DST_LSJ said:

I don't know in what world you live in but those things happened years ago, and even though they were terrible, most people changed and dealt with this stuff, but in the other hand there's the CCP who continues to make this horrible acts, taking money from their chinese corporations and using it to fund genocides that still happen to this day. If you still don't believe me just look for it, there are news of genocides that happened only a few months ago and are likely to happen again.

I don't know about you but i don't find funding genocides as something ok.

11 hours ago, OmeletteBoy said:

A video game? the problem for me at least comes with the moral part of this deal, i don't want to support a company who helps the CCP commit all of their horrible things, it might not affect klei games too much but the other part of the deal, giving money to tencent and therefore the CCP is what's making most of the people here angry and disappointed.

Then delete the game, guys?? Yes it's that simple. Why are you still here, fighting with people? Isn't 32 pages enough for you?

I know its a little late. can we remove the prejudice of the past and start anew?

I wish we could just start asking good faith questions rather then attacking each other so we can better understand each other?

14 hours ago, DST_LSJ said:

I am interested in what you think in order to better my understanding. I hope to put aside this bad foot forward and have a genuine good faith chat we could even do it in PMs if you desire.

I hope we can get some actual headway in understanding what each of us think I am going to ask earnest questions about your beliefs so I can better understand why rather then refute or try to disprove, is that okay with you?

You are talking about genocide as a disaster on the Indian land that was occupied hundreds of years ago. Europeans in the early 20th century had prejudices against Jews. With the help of most Europeans, the Nazis sent the Jews into concentration camps. Europeans at that time generally supported the genocide of Jews.

yeah genocide is morally wrong we agree so this is common ground for us to work off of.

the Chinese took in Jews as partners in northern China. Now you firmly believe that the Chinese government is carrying out genocide.

you thought I was talking about Jewish people being victims of genocide in China?

not to be rude but that is what this looks to be saying so I ask politely for further elaboration into this point so I can completely understand what you mean.

Archived