Zepp

Can I make money by selling the skin of original mod characters?

Zepp    42

Just like

Myth Words theme: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1991746508
Myth Words character: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1699194522

Mod content is completely free, you can buy our original character's skins through online shop to sponsor us.

1.png.d208bc3bd07f071d35f8fc4108eee3f4.png

I've noticed that the mod skins has been sold online more than 200.

2.thumb.png.690f6992025beba29435481b6736c5ca.png

So can I make a profit like this mod?

@JoeW

Edited by Zepp
  • Like 4

EirikGerhard    87

You should check the most updated official Klei modding guidelines. I found these two links (one more updated than the other)

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041355171-Modding-Guidelines

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029556052-Modding-Guidelines

A clarification over monetisation in the modding guidelines would be very welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ArubaroBeefalo    7860

I dont think this is legal. I wont let people sell stuff for my game that will prevent that same people to buy my skins (because i suppose all the people will not buy both)

Unless i get my % part of it

• Like 1

Slagger    1964

I want to ask a question too. Is that legal to making request mods for people by getting pay?

I mean x person wants to add cucumber to the game and I will make it for him then I will share on workshop to everyone. Then he will pay me money that we talk about. Is this fine?

Developers don't care about it in other games, I wonder how it works on Klei standards.

Edited by Slagger

EirikGerhard    87
50 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Is that legal to making request mods for people by getting pay?

I mean x person wants to add cucumber to the game and I will make it for him then I will share on workshop to everyone. Then he will pay me money that we talk about. Is this fine?

I would say that this is what is normally called "hiring a programmer," so it should be ok IMO. Do make sure to sort out beforehand who owns the rights to the content developed in the mod, otherwise, it can turn ugly if disputes arise. It should be clearly agreed who has rights to publish the mod on the workshop.

• Like 2

Hornete    7419
59 minutes ago, Slagger said:

I want to ask a question too. Is that legal to making request mods for people by getting pay?

Developers don't care about it in other games, I wonder how it works on Klei standards.

No. this is just commissioning someone. I've been commissioned and have commissioned others to make mods.

I have had bad experiences of course :p but every commissioner has bad experiences.

1 hour ago, Zepp said:

I think you should just leave it, and see what Klei wiill/might do. I don't think its any of our business to care really, unless theres some really shady/scammy stuff going on.

• Like 2

KakashoLin    16
9 hours ago, Zepp said:

Just like

Myth Words theme: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1991746508
Myth Words character: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1699194522

Mod content is completely free, you can buy our original character's skins through online shop to sponsor us.

1.png.d208bc3bd07f071d35f8fc4108eee3f4.png

I've noticed that the mod skins has been sold online more than 200.

2.thumb.png.690f6992025beba29435481b6736c5ca.png

So can I make a profit like this mod?

@JoeW

Based on their own policy, this would be against their guidelines and would not be allowed. 

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029880791-Player-Creation-Guidelines

"COMMERCIAL THINGS

Commercial use is when you make money for your player creation. Commercial use of Player Creations is not allowed (except for the specific situations listed below).

HAND-MADE PRODUCTS, YOUTUBE VIDEO MONETIZATION."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skorne    333
1 hour ago, Slagger said:

There are developers who care about it in some games, so not really any point making such a blank statement.

• Like 1

krtoween    216

I really love myth worlds and the work they are putting into this, I think Klei is also aware that this is happening and while it's not legal and not with their guidelines I think Klei is just so generous and loves the modders and people invested in this game so they may not pay attention to this for this reason. I think they know most people are not going to abuse mods to gain money. What these creators are doing is wrong but maybe cause they are from a different country they can't set up a donation platform or they think it's not something that will bring them any donations. I think that's a little amount they are charging for the skins and not really hindering what Klei is making and will continue to make from their own skins for the characters in game so it's maybe why they have not shut them down. Or they got a warning already from them who knows.

• Like 3

Hornete    7419
10 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

I should mention that the Myth mods also send some of your info off to their server without your consent.

Yikes, what kind of info?

• Like 1

penguin0616    891

@CarlZalph I think we deobfuscated different scripts, as the one I did doesn't have payment.

I take it that one is skin.lua?

Which one did I deobfuscate? I can't remember!

Spoiler

Also, my goodness, you cleaned up the variable names as well. All I did was format and escape.
I surrender, my deobfuscation is no match for yours.

Edited by penguin0616
  • Like 2

Auth    10044

Isn't this the mod that tried to initially charge people for getting it in the first place, as an unofficial (but still needing to be bought) DLC? And they're trying this again?

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 2

Seero    1143

Just work on you coding SKILLS* and get money in the coding industry, this is like basing near beefalo levels of trying to make money

Edited by Seero
  • Like 2

Grim the    417
38 minutes ago, Seero said:

Just work on you coding schools and get money in the coding industry, this is like basing near beefalo levels of trying to make money

I agree.