Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Yuma Arcl

What would you add to seasons / biomes ?

Recommended Posts

Yuma Arcl    68

What would you add to DST's seasons and/or biomes? Or add new biomes. Just like we got sandstorm and meteor rain. Some examples:

Hailstorm (start of spring), could bring ice.

Tornados (start of summer or autumn after summer happens), could bring logs, rocks, even animals (it'd be funny) 

Rise of ocean level when heavy raining, even creating/filling rivers (that dry during summer)

Rivers (maybe one big river crossing the whole map). They could add bridges to the game as a way to make passages from one side to the other (who never got a map that 2 biomes were very close you couldn't build boats to jump between lands?)

Mountains, (lots of possibilities)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Duck986    1204

Tbh all I want is cliffs that would make Constant to not to look like Flat-Earther's Paradise. This will also add a use for gunpowder (it may be used to destroy them, for example).
 

Spoiler

File:Cliff entity.png
Example of cliffs from Factorio

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheggf    2585

I would add an island that looks more like a normal island instead of weird moon stuff. Would be a nice vacation home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeklo    19513

I've actually been meaning to write-up a mega-post about some season-related ideas as well [as brand new ones].
So here's a lil touch into that!

General

  • After year 1, season length is randomized (longer/shorter seasons).
  • After year 1, season temperature is randomized (warmer/colder seasons).
  • Alternative/additional season specific bosses—examples to be seen later.
  • Alternative/additional seasonal effects.
  • New seasonal gear—examples to be seen later.

Autumn:

  • Spider Season
    • Every Autumn following the first—
    • Spider expansion rate is increased for the season.
    • Spider Nest creep range is increased for the season.
    • Spider Nest child limit is increased for the season.
    • Spider's will web up certain objects in the world.
    • Spiders will attempt to eat other animals to 'evolve'.
      • Hound - Wolf Spider
      • Gobbler - Peacock Spider
      • Etc..

Winter:

  • Blizzards
    • Every Winter following the first has a chance for Blizzards. Those caught in these snowstorms will suffer considerable heat loss, as well as impaired vision [much like a Sandstorm]. During this time, structures may become frosted over and become unusable for the duration of the event—which can last a few days.
      • Gates will lock.
      • Chests will lock.
      • Birds in Birdcages will freeze.
        • Maybe even die?
      • Walls will gain additional defense.
      • NPCs will be unable to leave their houses.
  • Common Cold
    • You ever just briefly start freezing but then fix it up right away? No more of that—experiencing just a smidge of freezing can give way to the common cold. Be properly prepared for the cold or suffer as nature intended.

Spring:

  • Torrent Rain
    • Every Spring following the first has the chance for Torrent Rain. A specific deadly kind of rain that will quickly deal damage to exposed players. Either retreat underground or equip yourself with new special rain gear.
      • Obviously inspired by Rain World, for those familiar.
  • Worm Invasions
    • Every Spring following the first has the chance for Worm Invasions. The moisture in the soil has disrupted the Depth Worms and has caused them to surface for the season. Pretty simple, and extra fun for those who play without caves on. ;)

Summer:

  • Heat Waves
    • Every Summer following the first has the chance for Heat Waves. They are quite simply short-lived sudden extreme rises in temperature that require the utmost cooling methods available. These also proof as risk to farms, causing moisture to dry up much quicker.
  • Ash Storms
    • Every Summer following the first has the chance for Ash Storms. This toxic form of weather will set unprepared players alight.
      • Undeveloped idea currently. Could even replace the Combustion we have going now, so you don't gotta concern yourself with 100% uptime on fire-proofing things/

Ocean:

  • Glacier Biome
    • Ice Sheets
      • The Glacier biome is surrounded/consists of Ice Sheets. These floating pieces of land function much like boats, and will deal damage on contact. Players above the normal speed value will find themselves occasionally slipping.
    • Icebergs
      • Icebergs can be found both floating in the water and on the Ice Sheets. These blocks of ice can sometimes contain items or even monsters.
    • Lettuce
      • A new rare crop type exclusively found in Icebergs. Uses to be discussed. I simply can't pass up a good pun.
    • Polar Pear Tree
      • A new fruit type found on Ice Sheets. Uses to be discussed. I simply can't pass up a good pun.
    • Leopard Seal
      • They nom on Pengulls—Players too of course.
    • Sea Cow
      • Neutral herd animals. Just don't bump them with your boat or they'll get mad.

Just some fun ideas I'm playing with currently. Obviously, some are more thought-through than others while some require additional items/suggestions that I'm concepting behind the scenes. Trust me, this is just the... tip of the iceberg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    83655
1 hour ago, Duck986 said:

Tbh all I want is cliffs that would make Constant to not to look like Flat-Earther's Paradise

The recent "inevitable" short and Wickerbottom's vignette proves that there's mountains. IT's up to klei how they want to tackle those in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    9702

summer season over haul- new fire based mobs, flaming meteor field showers (that can happen in any above ground biome instead of just mosaic) Antlions craters (which persist in the game outside of just Summer and should really have something cool done with them..) Craters can become so hot that they turn red with lava cracks then eventually burst into Magma Pools which will spawn the (currently exclusive to Firefly boss) Larvae bugs from the pools or Forge Magma Golems.

The general concept is that this is the FOURTH (& currently final) Season of what is advertised and sold as uncompromising wilderness survival game: So then my question to everyone is why is the last season you endure also the most forgettable & content lacking at the moment? 
 

#PleaseReworkSummer.. 

Make it the Uncompromising, most brutal, season it’s meant to be.

Outside of summer- Floods in spring would be nice.. Heavy blizzards in Winter maybe? I don’t know.. I’m only concerned about Summer at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sunset Skye    11397
1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

summer season over haul- new fire based mobs, flaming meteor field showers (that can happen in any above ground biome instead of just mosaic) Antlions craters (which persist in the game outside of just Summer and should really have something cool done with them..) Craters can become so hot that they turn red with lava cracks then eventually burst into Magma Pools which will spawn the (currently exclusive to Firefly boss) Larvae bugs from the pools or Forge Magma Golems.

If these changes were implemented I would just turn summer off entirely. Sounds way way to destructive, especially the meteors that sound like they'd be happening outside of your control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    8089
1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

#PleaseDontReworkSummer

Fixed xD

 

Changes arround the year like harder climate, more random rains, mobs migrations, etc would be nice and will make the dst year less flat but nothing that changes so hard the core gameplay

(And ofc not so destructive since there is more gameplay styles than walking arround)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x0-VERSUS-1y    6918

Frankly am surprised the late-game Survival enthusiasts (and the "try-hards" for that matter) don't support such environmental long-term effects on old worlds. Imo, as a middle-of-the-road Survival&Sandbox equilibrium advocate, mentioned-in-above-comments occurrences are quite needed for worlds to not feel stale and pseudo-dead after first 1-3 in-game-years: progressive events - Blizzards, Hailstorm, Tornadoes, Deluges and Floods, Heat Waves, Heat Storms, certain invasive seasonal pests and more, a lot more! Randomization of seasons and weather variants, specific seasonal (harder/smarter) mobs or various mob behavior/morphology modifications, perhaps biomes that become accessible during certain seasons, also Ocean stuff in relation to said seasons - I still remember a KLei dev some time ago (quite a lot of time ago actually) liked the proposal of a forumite related to different seasonal Sea waves and commented that he'll cram such mechanic on a future "to do" list - sadly I can't find respective topic; or a follow-up of any sort. One thing is certain: past 1st year worlds - aside plants variants like Twiggy Trees, Grass Gekkos, petrification, rot everywhere, and some meteor showers - nothing really changes; the worlds just exist in perpetual limbo aside player intervention (and, in pubs, general destruction of resources). This needs to change, else is lil incentive for going past first 5 in-game years from Survival pov.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Najaf    781
3 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I've actually been meaning to write-up a mega-post about some season-related ideas as well [as brand new ones].
So here's a lil touch into that!

General

  • After year 1, season length is randomized (longer/shorter seasons).
  • After year 1, season temperature is randomized (warmer/colder seasons).
  • Alternative/additional season specific bosses—examples to be seen later.
  • Alternative/additional seasonal effects.
  • New seasonal gear—examples to be seen later.

Autumn:

  • Spider Season
    • Every Autumn following the first—
    • Spider expansion rate is increased for the season.
    • Spider Nest creep range is increased for the season.
    • Spider Nest child limit is increased for the season.
    • Spider's will web up certain objects in the world.
    • Spiders will attempt to eat other animals to 'evolve'.
      • Hound - Wolf Spider
      • Gobbler - Peacock Spider
      • Etc..

Winter:

  • Blizzards
    • Every Winter following the first has a chance for Blizzards. Those caught in these snowstorms will suffer considerable heat loss, as well as impaired vision [much like a Sandstorm]. During this time, structures may become frosted over and become unusable for the duration of the event—which can last a few days.
      • Gates will lock.
      • Chests will lock.
      • Birds in Birdcages will freeze.
        • Maybe even die?
      • Walls will gain additional defense.
      • NPCs will be unable to leave their houses.
  • Common Cold
    • You ever just briefly start freezing but then fix it up right away? No more of that—experiencing just a smidge of freezing can give way to the common cold. Be properly prepared for the cold or suffer as nature intended.

Spring:

  • Torrent Rain
    • Every Spring following the first has the chance for Torrent Rain. A specific deadly kind of rain that will quickly deal damage to exposed players. Either retreat underground or equip yourself with new special rain gear.
      • Obviously inspired by Rain World, for those familiar.
  • Worm Invasions
    • Every Spring following the first has the chance for Worm Invasions. The moisture in the soil has disrupted the Depth Worms and has caused them to surface for the season. Pretty simple, and extra fun for those who play without caves on. ;)

Summer:

  • Heat Waves
    • Every Summer following the first has the chance for Heat Waves. They are quite simply short-lived sudden extreme rises in temperature that require the utmost cooling methods available. These also proof as risk to farms, causing moisture to dry up much quicker.
  • Ash Storms
    • Every Summer following the first has the chance for Ash Storms. This toxic form of weather will set unprepared players alight.
      • Undeveloped idea currently. Could even replace the Combustion we have going now, so you don't gotta concern yourself with 100% uptime on fire-proofing things/

Ocean:

  • Glacier Biome
    • Ice Sheets
      • The Glacier biome is surrounded/consists of Ice Sheets. These floating pieces of land function much like boats, and will deal damage on contact. Players above the normal speed value will find themselves occasionally slipping.
    • Icebergs
      • Icebergs can be found both floating in the water and on the Ice Sheets. These blocks of ice can sometimes contain items or even monsters.
    • Lettuce
      • A new rare crop type exclusively found in Icebergs. Uses to be discussed. I simply can't pass up a good pun.
    • Polar Pear Tree
      • A new fruit type found on Ice Sheets. Uses to be discussed. I simply can't pass up a good pun.
    • Leopard Seal
      • They nom on Pengulls—Players too of course.
    • Sea Cow
      • Neutral herd animals. Just don't bump them with your boat or they'll get mad.

Just some fun ideas I'm playing with currently. Obviously, some are more thought-through than others while some require additional items/suggestions that I'm concepting behind the scenes. Trust me, this is just the... tip of the iceberg.

Ahhhh great, now i want this in game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    9702
50 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Frankly am surprised the late-game Survival enthusiasts (and the "try-hards" for that matter) don't support such environmental long-term effects on old worlds. Imo, as a middle-of-the-road Survival&Sandbox equilibrium advocate, mentioned-in-above-comments occurrences are quite needed for worlds to not feel stale and pseudo-dead after first 1-3 in-game-years: progressive events - Blizzards, Hailstorm, Tornadoes, Deluges and Floods, Heat Waves, Heat Storms, certain invasive seasonal pests and more, a lot more! Randomization of seasons and weather variants, specific seasonal (harder/smarter) mobs or various mob behavior/morphology modifications, perhaps biomes that become accessible during certain seasons, also Ocean stuff in relation to said seasons - I still remember a KLei dev some time ago (quite a lot of time ago actually) liked the proposal of a forumite related to different seasonal Sea waves and commented that he'll cram such mechanic on a future "to do" list - sadly I can't find respective topic; or a follow-up of any sort. One thing is certain: past 1st year worlds - aside plants variants like Twiggy Trees, Grass Gekkos, petrification, rot everywhere, and some meteor showers - nothing really changes; the worlds just exist in perpetual limbo aside player intervention (and, in pubs, general destruction of resources). This needs to change, else is lil incentive for going past first 5 in-game years from Survival pov.

The only issue I have with this is some people just absolutely flat out refuse to be wavered from their base building 10,000 day mega base worlds- and in order to achieve those Mega-Base playstyles they forego any sort of additional survival aspects added into the game, they dont want things like destructive un-preventable weather hazards because they don’t want more Survival in their play session.

And that’s perfectly FINE but... their playstyle shouldnt also impact those of us craving a harder much more uncompromising world that actually challenges our survival and our ability to adapt to unpreventable destruction and repair and rebuild afterwards.. I shouldn’t feel criticized or dismissed for wanting more survival aspects in my uncompromising wilderness survival game.

This is why I Heavily suggest that Klei needs to invest in Alternate game modes, varying ways of playing DST- Instead of changing features to better appeal to the mega-base builders, or the people who want features like Wildfires and Red Hounds to be less destructive.. Klei should create a mode dedicated specifically to those style of players.

While also at the same exact Time not nerfing the Survival aspects of the game to better suit those mega base playstyles.. I want a more destructive, more uncompromising version of DST- something that’s just at least HALF as challenging as DS single player and it’s SW and Ham expansions.. but a mode like that would have to be separated from the mega base building mode.

people obviously have varying playstyles of what they want/expect to see for the game they enjoy playing- but at this point I seriously feel like “Summer” as a season could be at danger of being extinguished forever.

And that’s a really bad feeling to have inside my gut because it just shouldn’t be that way.. some people want and crave more survival aspects, while others want those same aspects lessened, nerfed, or outright removed altogether & without alternate modes of play: Klei has to lessen one side of their fanbase in favor of the other, So yeah in 2021/2020 I want to see Klei setting out to separate Uncompromising Wilderness Survival from 10,000+ day Mega Base builds, make modes/features specifically dedicated for them but don’t compromise one over the other.

That is all I really have left to say I guess.

:wilson_love::wickerbottomthanks:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want more islands with unique bioms, a polar island, a magma island, etc. I want reasons to build a boat and explore the ocean, like I did in Shipwrecked. Those islands don't have to be that big. Klei is amazing with new biomes, like the lunar grotto and new biomes are the most interesting thing for me in the game.

Besides of that, the seasons need more differences.

Winter is pretty good::

- Klaus, MC Tusk, pengulls, no bees or butterflies, deerclops, mini glaciers, snow

Spring is not as good:

- rain, lightning, frog rain, killer bees, moose/goose...thats it

Summer is even worse:

- forest fires, antlion, oasis, cactus flower...more doesn't happen, very boring

Autumn is as bad as Summer:

- 1 additional birch nut, no eye deers, bearger, thats not much

If all season would add as much interesting creatures or events or plants like winter does, that would be amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    8089

For me klei can add all the destruction and survival challenge they want but if they need to respect different playstiles wasting time and resources to include option for that people who play dst like it was animal crossing then they should respect other playstiles too

This game only offers base building after yoy learn how to survive. Ofc people who still have peoblems to find food will not understand this or people who is attached to the cyclum of surviving the same 4 seasons like it was a challenge or something. To prevent the game to be bored elimitating the base buidling to unclide destruction they should include A LOT of content which, for a game that cost 5e, is difficult and requires time

Destruction for free isnt fun, people already cry non stop because "summer isnt fun" when is a perfect balanced season including more mechanics in this way will just kill the game because those players will no bother playing it

I wish they include biomes and zones with different challenge and the destruction can come like how did with the archives, the centipedes destroys everything but they are in a insolate place. The world needs evolution and increasing a the difficult curve the longer you survive but that doesnt mean rocks falling from the sky destroying everything and less when there is non renewable resources like bushes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hornete    7539
5 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Glacier Biome

  • Ice Sheets
    • The Glacier biome is surrounded/consists of Ice Sheets. These floating pieces of land function much like boats, and will deal damage on contact. Players above the normal speed value will find themselves occasionally slipping.
  • Icebergs
    • Icebergs can be found both floating in the water and on the Ice Sheets. These blocks of ice can sometimes contain items or even monsters.

PLEASE, I just want icebergs and ice sheets so badly  I've probably talked about them like fifty times on these forums now haha.

 

Edit: And just seasonal effects on the oceans on general, I'm gonna be a bit dissapointed if the only seasonal content we have for RoT are the seasonal fishes. Hopefully that can be fixed soon hehe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    8089
1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

 

I hope they add but not in the whole map

I feel like you when people come wanting nerfs to fire, to hound, to batilisk or to bosses. One challenge in this game is surviving meanwhile you fight a 2 days long fight so instead of wanting nerfs for the bosses take it as a challenge, another challenge is learning to deal with summer and his red hounds, etc

They can include things like the grotto after the archives are activated or magma island where everything burns, etc

Meteor fiels for the whole map is just a bad idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

For me klei can add all the destruction and survival challenge they want but if they need to respect different playstiles wasting time and resources to include option for that people who play dst like it was animal crossing then they should respect other playstiles too

This game only offers base building after yoy learn how to survive. Ofc people who still have peoblems to find food will not understand this or people who is attached to the cyclum of surviving the same 4 seasons like it was a challenge or something. To prevent the game to be bored elimitating the base buidling to unclide destruction they should include A LOT of content which, for a game that cost 5e, is difficult and requires time

Destruction for free isnt fun, people already cry non stop because "summer isnt fun" when is a perfect balanced season including more mechanics in this way will just kill the game because those players will no bother playing it

I wish they include biomes and zones with different challenge and the destruction can come like how did with the archives, the centipedes destroys everything but they are in a insolate place. The world needs evolution and increasing a the difficult curve the longer you survive but that doesnt mean rocks falling from the sky destroying everything and less when there is non renewable resources like bushes

Yeah summer isn't fun, I have to feed 10 ice flingos constantly to stop my base from burning down. I would like to work at my base in summer aswell, but I rather go in the caves, atleast nothing combusts down there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    8089
7 minutes ago, HeilerderWelten said:

Yeah summer isn't fun, I have to feed 10 ice flingos constantly to stop my base from burning down. I would like to work at my base in summer aswell, but I rather go in the caves, atleast nothing combusts down there.

Using 10 flingos is a bad idea

Base in the oasis if you plan to make a big base or leave it. You can make a base in the caves

 

 

Edit: i really like the idea of stronger winds and rains, hotter summers and cooler winters with blizzards (making us wear 2 body parts cloths), etc but free destruction isnt fun. I dont hammer/shovel things because i like to see the world alive but if klei include destruction everywhere i will just hammer every house and shovel every berry bush making the game easier in the aspect of gathering materials and making the world dead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Using 10 flingos is a bad idea

Base in the oasis if you plan to make a big base or leave it. You can make a base in the caves

I don't like that, the oasis shouldn't be the only location I am allowed to base. I want to choose my base location because of wormholes, important ressources, etc.my oasis is at the end of the world, there is nothing else there. I have a big cave base aswell, but at the same time, the caves become rather boring after 2-3 years. I want to work at my overworld base.I would rather fight a Dragonfly that visits my base every summer or appease a volcano that throws magma bombs at me, than dealing with random forest fires, Its just not a good game mechanic.

 

edit: forest fires are basically like worse lightning strikes, they randomly set your stuff on fire.

But we have very cheap lightning rods that protect a big area., There is nothing cheap about refueling flingomatics constantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Szczuku    15672

Welp, I guess I'll share some of my ideas with y'all. I always supported the idea of the world changing as a result of player's action, so expect some of that logic below.

Biomes:

1.Ocean- Toxic island- an island surrounded by toxic, corrosive liquid. On the island is a beached, dead Big Foot

Toxic liquid- regular boats would be slowly destroyed by the water. However the Constant's waters are now populated by Depth Eels, cousins of the depth worms. Their loot is a key ingredient to crafting a new boat upgrade- reinforced hull. With that you can 'safely' sail across the toxic waters.

New swimming creatures found in that biome:

  • S-pike- a new fishable fish that can be wielded like a weapon which does the same damage as fresh hambat but 'spoils' faster. Can be placed inside a fishing bin to refresh.
  • Wastefish- this biome's version of the mudfish
  • Depth Eels- use kelp or (if from the toxic waters) floating pitcher plants as a bait. Attack by launching themselves out of water and biting the player. While it's sliding back into the water from your boat you have time to counter attack. Drop monster meat and their membrane, which can be used in the previously mentioned boat upgrade and a protective coat 
  • Leaching Jellyfish- can attach itself to your boat, will provide a decent area of light but if you come to close to it you will be zapped. Detaches itself after a day or if killed. Has a 10% chance to drop its bell.
  • Floating pitcher plant- you can check inside it to find some items every now and then.

The island itself:

  • Mutated berry bush- it's berries are bigger and grant more hunger but after eating them your character will receive a random buff/debuff: damage, defense, speed, hunger drain/gain or sanity drain/gain.
  • Fruit tree- Tree that can be chopped down for 2 seeds. Will fruit every 4-7 days resulting in 2 random fruits that can be grown on farms. The fruits will stay on the tree untill it's hit with a hammer. Has to be supplied with glommer goop every 2 harvests.
  • Green boulders- regular boulder with a very low chance of dropping a green gem.
  • Walks- flies that cannot fly and therefore walk. Hostile mobs that can spit corrosive liquid which does no damage to your character but will drain the durability of everything in your inventory. Drops monster meat and rarely a walk head used to craft a structure which will frighten walks
  • Dead Big Foot- an object which we can only examine, tapeworms spawn from it
  • Tapeworm- a harmless worm that looks like tape. Escapes to the big foot when approached. Can be caught with the rabbit trap and acts like Winona's tape.
  • Important-looking Boulder- a giant boulder full of green veins. Takes an entire pickaxe to break. As you're breaking it more and more gas starts flowing from it. Upon breaking it the boulder is shot into the air via the pressure and your character is knocked back (no damage done). The character's will comment on that event: 'Yeah!!"-Willow, 'MAGICAL GEM SOURCE UPLOADED TO THE CLOUD'-Wx-78, 'Hyuyu, the ground played a cruel joke on us'-Wortox. 
  • Toxic Crater- the only thing that remains after the explosion. Can only be examined to reveal that an impossible to undo event has just occured: 'We're destroying even this world"-Wendy, 'IT'S POLLUTING THE ENVIRONMENT. GOOD.' -Wx-78, 'Bad' -Wormwood

So yeah... I'd add a new biome to the ocean biome

The results of that event:

  • Toxic rain- prevents plants from regrowing similar to wither's cold. Trees turn to their old state. Crops' growth is halted. Everyhting inside player's inventory slowly stats losing its durability. Things inside backpacks lose it even slower. Wearing leaching jellyfish bell or protective coat will protect you from the rain. Regular clothing items don't. Doesn't happen in the caves. Rain-o-meter can detect toxic rains in advance.
  • Green gems more common- well not really. But you'll be able to find them in various sea-related activities and places. Such as fishing up the fish trash or a new, rare type of a fish.

2. Swamp:

Bog Bush- grows durians. Acts as a plant-based food source so that Wurt finally has something to eat in the swamp

3. Ocean

Octomerchant- an octopus with a cool hat and a coat that communicates through mini-signs. Can be sometimes found in the sea or rarely near a shore.

In the sea you'll find it as a mysterious shadow underwater. If you're close enoguh it'll pull out a sign with an anchor on it. Drop the anchor and turn off the sails and it'll heave part of itself onto your boat. Touch the anchor or sails after that and it'll dive into the depths (despawn). If it happens to be night it'll have a lantern in a bottle. It'll pull out a sign with a golden nugget. Provide it with that and it'll pull out a chest that will contain 3 random items. The items can vary from things like barnacles and stingers to boat patches and lightbulbs, to green gems and messages in the bottle. You're only allowed to take one item after whitch the Octomerchant will slam the chest shut, tip its hat and sink into the depths.

It works the same near the shore except that it'll want 4 gold and there'd be more items from the sea because why'd you need a boat patch on the dry land. So instead you could expect some items like caught deep water fish, kelp stalks, barnacles, messages from the bottle etc.

The general idea to this NPC is that it's just a decent guy in this hostile world. Not as wholesome as Pearl but still good enough. Some character quotes: 'I have a strange deja vu feeling' -Warly, 'I respect your attempts at looking dapper underwater' -Maxwell, 'What ya need all that gold for? Underwater restaurants or somethin'?' -Winona, 'This the Fishy-Bringer!' -Wurt.

I won't talk about the seasons as this post is already too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seero    1143
6 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I've actually been meaning to write-up a mega-post about some season-related ideas as well [as brand new ones].
So here's a lil touch into that!

General

  • After year 1, season length is randomized (longer/shorter seasons).
  • After year 1, season temperature is randomized (warmer/colder seasons).
  • Alternative/additional season specific bosses—examples to be seen later.
  • Alternative/additional seasonal effects.
  • New seasonal gear—examples to be seen later.

Autumn:

  • Spider Season
    • Every Autumn following the first—
    • Spider expansion rate is increased for the season.
    • Spider Nest creep range is increased for the season.
    • Spider Nest child limit is increased for the season.
    • Spider's will web up certain objects in the world.
    • Spiders will attempt to eat other animals to 'evolve'.
      • Hound - Wolf Spider
      • Gobbler - Peacock Spider
      • Etc..

Winter:

  • Blizzards
    • Every Winter following the first has a chance for Blizzards. Those caught in these snowstorms will suffer considerable heat loss, as well as impaired vision [much like a Sandstorm]. During this time, structures may become frosted over and become unusable for the duration of the event—which can last a few days.
      • Gates will lock.
      • Chests will lock.
      • Birds in Birdcages will freeze.
        • Maybe even die?
      • Walls will gain additional defense.
      • NPCs will be unable to leave their houses.
  • Common Cold
    • You ever just briefly start freezing but then fix it up right away? No more of that—experiencing just a smidge of freezing can give way to the common cold. Be properly prepared for the cold or suffer as nature intended.

Spring:

  • Torrent Rain
    • Every Spring following the first has the chance for Torrent Rain. A specific deadly kind of rain that will quickly deal damage to exposed players. Either retreat underground or equip yourself with new special rain gear.
      • Obviously inspired by Rain World, for those familiar.
  • Worm Invasions
    • Every Spring following the first has the chance for Worm Invasions. The moisture in the soil has disrupted the Depth Worms and has caused them to surface for the season. Pretty simple, and extra fun for those who play without caves on. ;)

Summer:

  • Heat Waves
    • Every Summer following the first has the chance for Heat Waves. They are quite simply short-lived sudden extreme rises in temperature that require the utmost cooling methods available. These also proof as risk to farms, causing moisture to dry up much quicker.
  • Ash Storms
    • Every Summer following the first has the chance for Ash Storms. This toxic form of weather will set unprepared players alight.
      • Undeveloped idea currently. Could even replace the Combustion we have going now, so you don't gotta concern yourself with 100% uptime on fire-proofing things/

Ocean:

  • Glacier Biome
    • Ice Sheets
      • The Glacier biome is surrounded/consists of Ice Sheets. These floating pieces of land function much like boats, and will deal damage on contact. Players above the normal speed value will find themselves occasionally slipping.
    • Icebergs
      • Icebergs can be found both floating in the water and on the Ice Sheets. These blocks of ice can sometimes contain items or even monsters.
    • Lettuce
      • A new rare crop type exclusively found in Icebergs. Uses to be discussed. I simply can't pass up a good pun.
    • Polar Pear Tree
      • A new fruit type found on Ice Sheets. Uses to be discussed. I simply can't pass up a good pun.
    • Leopard Seal
      • They nom on Pengulls—Players too of course.
    • Sea Cow
      • Neutral herd animals. Just don't bump them with your boat or they'll get mad.

Just some fun ideas I'm playing with currently. Obviously, some are more thought-through than others while some require additional items/suggestions that I'm concepting behind the scenes. Trust me, this is just the... tip of the iceberg.

pretty sure a lot of this is from uncomp mod blizzards really stick out to me as an uncomp thing.

As for what I would add, i'm not sure

but was for what I wouldn't want would be HUMIDITY FROM HAMLET

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sub-Maxwell    111

Blizzards in winter and fog in the spring is something I’d like to see regarding seasons.

As for biomes, I’d like a tropical island. I know there’s been a lot of discussion over whether or not to add shipwrecked stuff to DST, but coconut trees, doydoys, water beefalo, monkeys (and Wilbur along with them) would all be cool to see. The lunar islands are great, but I want something BIG to explore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheggf    2585
9 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Icebergs

Oh yeah I forgot I also wanted icebergs so that you could sail out and find ice year-round so you can still make flingomatics even if someone decided to make 3 stacks of meatballs right as the glaciers all melt.

10 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Lettuce

  • A new rare crop type exclusively found in Icebergs. Uses to be discussed. I simply can't pass up a good pun.

Maybe as a testament to the ocean it could make a cabbadge that doesn't do anything and just shows off that you made it? Walter might like to wear it. :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if you'd call it a biome change but, a change to kelp. Either findable loose bull kelp plants in the swamp. Or a beach zone added where you can find them. Or upping their spawn around the land mass edge so you can realistically collect them by boat. Or letting you move stationary ones with a razor. Pigs have berry bushes and carrots, Bunnymen have carrots, Merms have nothing. It doesn't feel right to have to exploit world generation metadata knowledge to get to Lunar to get the kelp you need for Merm King in a reasonable amount of time. Or even replacing the kelp requirement with a new resource that spawns in the swamp, like a harvestable mossy rock or lichen.

As for seasons. I agree summer should be hard, but wildfires disincentivize large projects, like building Merm houses all over the map. I'd rather see wildfires replaced by something else. Maybe invasions by something worse then hounds? Or as suggested, more dangerous heat waves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites