Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Sub-Maxwell

Crab King Loot Idea

Recommended Posts

Sub-Maxwell    110

I’ve seen a lot of debate as to whether the loot from the Return of Them bosses makes them worth fighting, and there’s been many good suggestions on how to improve this aspect of design. I saw people discussing in another thread about improving the Malbatross loot, specifically the new Waterfowl Can by making it able to be filled in the ocean, and it lead me to an idea regarding Crab King.

As of now, Crab King is a very tanky world boss, and while he drops the Inactive Celestial Tribute when the pearl is socketed, which will surely gain use in future updates, his other drops are pretty lackluster. His only real drops are meat, shells, and the blueprint for the strident trident which is very situational in use. I always thought it would be nice to have an endothermic furnace counterpart to the Scaled Furnace, providing a relief from temps in summer and giving off a little light. I think Crab King is the best way to implement this. He has a freeze attack which is prevalent throughout the fight so it makes sense as a drop for him, and he’s a raid boss with high health which is not too dissimilar from Dragonfly.

This is just an idea, and I’d love to hear any other thoughts on this concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
viberr    1211

i know what everyone is gonna say in this thread 

mostly everyone is gonna say"summer is already easy it doesn't need to be easier" now im not gonna say if i agree to this or not but this is what i think most people will say

(did you know strident trident can uproot bull kelp?that actually makes it useful to some people.neat right?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaZoul    2465

hmm, I am unable to see a thing wrong with this suggestion. What would be the structure's name, what would it look like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sub-Maxwell    110
14 minutes ago, stranger again said:

i know what everyone is gonna say in this thread 

mostly everyone is gonna say"summer is already easy it doesn't need to be easier" now im not gonna say if i agree to this or not but this is what i think most people will say

(did you know strident trident can uproot bull kelp?that actually makes it useful to some people.neat right?)

I didn’t know that about the trident! Thanks for letting me know. And I can see where the “easy” idea is coming from, but I didn’t really think about it as making summer easier, just more about symmetry with an already existing structure. By the time most people tackle Crab King, I’d assume it’d be later in the game so it’s more of a convenience the same way the scaled furnace is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ohan    1896

I really liked a past suggestion for Crab King to drop some kind of armor, either body or head, that you can socket with gems for different effects. It would look like a chunk of his shell with 1 socket in it. When its empty it could be at 0% durability until its socketed with a gem. Eventually the gem runs out of power and breaks returning the armor to 0%... or something like that. Would depend on the effects if it would actually be worthwhile though in a world with bone armor. 

Endothermic furnace also sounds neat. I think CB is a tough/grand enough boss to drop several unique blueprints/items like Toadstool. So an endothermic furnace, strident trident BP, celestial tribute, and some kind of armor sounds nice. Looking forward to see what they have planned for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sub-Maxwell    110
16 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

hmm, I am unable to see a thing wrong with this suggestion. What would be the structure's name, what would it look like?

I’m sure the creative minds at Klei could come up with a much better name than I could, but I did have ideas about the look. I’d presume crafting would involve blue gems and shells in some way, so it could probably have a rocky texture like the crab king itself, maybe with the blue gems “socketed” like the boss appears?

3 minutes ago, Ohan said:

I really liked a past suggestion for Crab King to drop some kind of armor, either body or head, that you can socket with gems for different effects. It would look like a chunk of his shell with 1 socket in it. When its empty it could be at 0% durability until its socketed with a gem. Eventually the gem runs out of power and breaks returning the armor to 0%... or something like that. Would depend on the effects if it would actually be worthwhile though in a world with bone armor. 

Endothermic furnace also sounds neat. I think CB is a tough/grand enough boss to drop several unique blueprints/items like Toadstool. So an endothermic furnace, strident trident BP, celestial tribute, and some kind of armor sounds nice. Or heck, what if its a clothing item that you socket with gems! to really make it unique. Looking forward to see what they have planned for him. 

That armor sounds really cool! That’d be another neat drop. I think you said it best with regards to him being a tough enough boss that he could have more loot than others, like the seasonal bosses or Malbatross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
viberr    1211
5 minutes ago, Sub-Maxwell said:

I didn’t know that about the trident! Thanks for letting me know.

ouch it physically hurts me as a person when someone is nice:lol:i really expected you to disagree with me or something because thats what the internet is like most of the time but no you just decide to leave a nice message back so thank you:wilson_smile:

 

7 minutes ago, Sub-Maxwell said:

By the time most people tackle Crab King, I’d assume it’d be later in the game so it’s more of a convenience the same way the scaled furnace is.

yeah i guess but most people like to stay in the caves most of the time during summer so i guess yeah it could be a neat idea (what if it required a iricedent in the recipe?that would be cool)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sub-Maxwell    110
2 minutes ago, stranger again said:

yeah i guess but most people like to stay in the caves most of the time during summer so i guess yeah it could be a neat idea (what if it required a iricedent in the recipe?that would be cool)

That’s a great idea! Iridescent gems are definitely becoming more important with the lunar content, and given the Mooncaller’s staff and it’s freezing properties, I think it’d be a much better fit than just plain blue gems would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuartzBeam    3584

We don't have an endothermic furnace cause there is no need for one.

You can already cool your thermal stones for free by putting them in an Ice Box or in Snow Chester, so the only advantage of an endothermic furnace would be that it lacks the "9 items" limitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hornete    7460

Sounds neat, but I just find the idea a bit boring. I'd rather see something else, more original and more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ADM    8524

Just saying but Crab King will be probably worth once the entire thing behind the Celestial Altars is over, this boss is part of the storyline just like the Ancient Guardian is for the Ancient Fuelweaver (even if... yeah SOMETIMES this boss have good loots, but it's very luck based), so maybe better loots is not so necessary, I personally don't think it is, I'll be waiting to see what we get at the end. :encouragement:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seero    1143

crab king needs loot 100x better then a reverse scaled furnace

does klei really expect us to explore ocean content because we're past day 500 and there is nothing else to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
viberr    1211
3 minutes ago, Seero said:

does klei really expect us to explore ocean content because we're past day 500 and there is nothing else to do?

well thats what i do so i would guess the answer is yes

(also i don't know why this is a unpopular opinion but ocean content is fun in my opinion)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    7917
13 minutes ago, ADM said:

Just saying but Crab King will be probably worth once the entire thing behind the Celestial Altars is over, this boss is part of the storyline just like the Ancient Guardian is for the Ancient Fuelweaver (even if... yeah SOMETIMES this boss have good loots, but it's very luck based), so maybe better loots is not so necessary, I personally don't think it is, I'll be waiting to see what we get at the end. :encouragement:

the problem is that once you have get the altar you dont need to kill him again. Every boss have a lot worth to farm

maybe the trident will be worth when the ocean gets more updates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seero    1143
1 hour ago, stranger again said:

(also i don't know why this is a unpopular opinion but ocean content is fun in my opinion)

Unfortunately, it's quite popular while you can find ocean content fun

content that affects the early and mid game heavily, alternative options from a normal run would be 1000x times more fun, keeps the game fresh and keeps our faith in klei 

This is why ocean content needs to be more viable, it needs tweaks, it needs to be buffed etc

personally all of my runs remain unchanged except for getting stone fruit and even then I'm spending way to much time on gathering bushes but I just like them so much.

if I wasn't playing woodie or maxwell I would not be going to the lunar islands.

as for solutions to ocean content, I think the addition of more innocent mobs, sea-clockworks (Maybe now we can get sea rook and sea bishop) that spawn in the same or more sparse way they do in shipwrecked.

A motorized engine that runs on gears but then Malbatross would need to be reworked too.

This way your boats can be controlled quickly, and with WASD, maybe wind can be added so sails can still give you speed and not be totally useless.

these are a few ideas, whenever you like em or not doesn't matter, what does matter is that you understand ocean content needs to be changed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheggf    2544

Cool idea. The moon altar is already like the endo scaled furnace, and ice boxes already prevent the need for something like this entirely so I don't think it would be very useful, but I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuartzBeam    3584
1 hour ago, Seero said:

does klei really expect us to explore ocean content because we're past day 500 and there is nothing else to do?

... Yes.

I'm trying to really hard to write an essay on my issues with the ocean right now. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seero    1143
2 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

.. Yes.

I'm trying to really hard to write an essay on my issues with the ocean right now. :P

make a new thread and do it, i'll collab and rant my own problems on it too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yuma Arcl    68
6 hours ago, stranger again said:

mostly everyone is gonna say"summer is already easy it doesn't need to be easier"

It's like "What? The game has an item that helps the player? AN ABSURD!"

I don't get why people complain about this game's difficulty, when you can clearly customize your world to your liking.

6 hours ago, Sub-Maxwell said:

I always thought it would be nice to have an endothermic furnace counterpart to the Scaled Furnace

 I love boss' exclusive structures (even if useful or not).

5 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

We don't have an endothermic furnace cause there is no need for one.

A lot of items are useless/we don't need and are still craftable. Ofc you can't do as much as cooling you / a thermal stone, but as a decoration it's not a bad ideia. Also, it could make ice(?) if there are nearby wet surfaces (or if you add water to it). Any cool feature.

Late game, when we have n-ish boss drops, we start crafting anything just for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    83393
7 hours ago, Ohan said:

I really liked a past suggestion for Crab King to drop some kind of armor, either body or head,

Sounds like a boss variant of the snurtle and slurtle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
W0l0l0    270

Would a piece of armour that provides 70% reduction, but complete hitstun immunity (no "getting hurt" animation) be useful? Had this idea for a while and maybe it belongs here, but I'm unsure if it would be useful enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeeClops    1021
13 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

Would a piece of armour that provides 70% reduction, but complete hitstun immunity (no "getting hurt" animation) be useful? Had this idea for a while and maybe it belongs here, but I'm unsure if it would be useful enough. 

no stunlocking would be very useful.

As for a cold furnace, it wouldn't be as usefull as the hot one, as you need heat a lot more than cold, and also the cooking thing. I think it would mostly be used for decoration, it wouldn't be much of an incentive to kill crabking imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    5135

Buff trident to 102 damage on both sea and land

and remake the graphic so it doesn't look like a caveman pitchfork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cassielu    222

We already have Icebox and MoonStone.

I hope its a more powerfull item to against wildfire.  you know, wildfire is very boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    7917

The idea is cool but, as other said, it wont make fighting CK worh since there is already very good ways to fight overheating like iceboxes, moonstaffs (50 uses and doesnt burn structures), ice chester, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites