Sign in to follow this  
Corey

Issue: Steam Version Not Working for You

With the new update, it's started crashing on start up, before showing anything.

Specs:

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

CPU - 3.6 GHz

RAM - 4.1 GB

Video Card - NVIDIA 8800 GTS, 2.3 GB Video RAM

Sound Card - Realtek High Definition Audio

All drivers are up to date.

Only error log I'm able to find is the one that initial crash gives me which is:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: dontstarve_steam.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 50b51b22

Fault Module Name: dontstarve_steam.exe

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 50b51b22

Exception Code: 80000003

Exception Offset: 00082b6b

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Xaphedo    33

I read through some of the issues people are having, but it doesn't actually seem that somebody's got the troubles I'm having.

I can run the game on Chrome, and it's just fine, no problems at all (other than the fact I bought it on Steam, not on Chrome.. which sucks an enormous lot); I tried to run it on Steam with the previous patch and it'd give me the "You need 2.1 OpenGL or higher" error, so I downloaded the glcrash BETA and hoped for the best.. that didn't happened. What I'm getting now (I'm talking about the glcrash beta and the 27 nov patch: nothing has changed yet) is a mute crash: I start the game and after a couple of seconds the steamcloud flashes for an instant; that's about it. I bought this game a few weeks ago, and I'm really going to literally munch some kitties if I won't eventually be able to play this godamn game (which, damn you, looks absolutely fantastic ç_ç).

My graphics card is garbage, I know: I got a mere Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family, more precisely the second worst graphics card of Intel history. Nevertheless, it usually does its job (as it is in fact doing with Chrome) but this time it's just refusing to explain its reasons.

If you don't know how to solve the issue, please, I don't give a crap about Steam: could you extend my Steam key on the Chrome version? My name's Xaphedo, on both Google Account and Steam. The mail for the Google Account is the same I use for this forums and I should've also sent you a mail some time ago about my silliness and incompetence regarding the forum starting restrictions.

Posting here because I seem to be still having an issue launching the game through steam. I uninstalled and re-installed many times, Ive updated my graphics. These are the specs i was requested to post.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/27/2012, 16:36:11

Machine name: EricaLatop-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron 1545

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A13

Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3544MB RAM

Page File: 2692MB used, 4394MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicod

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_02AA1028&REV_07

Display Memory: 1580 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1516 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: INL000A

Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.913Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumdx32.dll,igd10umd32.dll

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2555 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2555

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 10/13/2011 11:58:56, 571904 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6902-11CF-637A-A022A7C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x2A42

SubSys ID: 0x02AA1028

JLK    50

AngryRobotsInc: Can you look in the bin folder of the game and see if there are any files with the extension MDMP from today? If so, please attach those to a message here.

Corey    175
I read through some of the issues people are having, but it doesn't actually seem that somebody's got the troubles I'm having.

I can run the game on Chrome, and it's just fine, no problems at all (other than the fact I bought it on Steam, not on Chrome.. which sucks an enormous lot); I tried to run it on Steam with the previous patch and it'd give me the "You need 2.1 OpenGL or higher" error, so I downloaded the glcrash BETA and hoped for the best.. that didn't happened. What I'm getting now (I'm talking about the glcrash beta and the 27 nov patch: nothing has changed yet) is a mute crash: I start the game and after a couple of seconds the steamcloud flashes for an instant; that's about it. I bought this game a few weeks ago, and I'm really going to literally munch some kitties if I won't eventually be able to play this godamn game (which, damn you, looks absolutely fantastic ç_ç).

My graphics card is garbage, I know: I got a mere Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family, more precisely the second worst graphics card of Intel history. Nevertheless, it usually does its job (as it is in fact doing with Chrome) but this time it's just refusing to explain its reasons.

If you don't know how to solve the issue, please, I don't give a crap about Steam: could you extend my Steam key on the Chrome version? My name's Xaphedo, on both Google Account and Steam. The mail for the Google Account is the same I use for this forums and I should've also sent you a mail some time ago about my silliness and incompetence regarding the forum starting restrictions.

We can get you a copy on Chrome in the short-term. Contact us with your steam info here: contact us

JLK    50

EricaMarie2020: Could you also check for MDMP files in the game's bin directory? Usually it's in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\bin".

If possible, can you also follow the instructions on this page and tell me exactly what your video adapter is? We have a grand total of one variation of "The Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family" and it seems to work so finding out what's different might give me some clue as to what is wrong.

AngryRobotsInc: Can you look in the bin folder of the game and see if there are any files with the extension MDMP from today? If so, please attach those to a message here.

There aren't any files with that extension.

Edit: There is an error listed in log.txt, though, if that helps at all.

http://pastebin.com/kydeswxx

Edited by AngryRobotsInc

Gluttannie    10

Prior to this update, my game ran syrup-slow on Steam though it was perfect in the Chrome demo, but I could still launch it. But after this update, I've been crashing and unable to get in the game. (I found no MDMP files in the bin folder, btw.)

Here's my specs:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/27/2012, 13:59:20

Machine name: ANNIE-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron N5010

BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/09/10 15:17:22 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3894MB RAM

Page File: 1355MB used, 6432MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics (Core i3)

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_04471028&REV_18

Display Memory: 1696 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: SEC5441

Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.064Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2827 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2827

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 8/9/2012 15:21:16, 8314368 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4306-11CF-9378-4D24B8C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x0046

SubSys ID: 0x04471028

Revision ID: 0x0018

Driver Strong Name: oem16.inf:IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.0:iILKM0:8.15.10.2827:pci\ven_8086&dev_0046

Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_B ModeVC1_C

Edited by Gluttannie

KingWinter    10
Exactly the same error log I have. Also no mdmp files for me.

I've got the exact same issue.

Before the update I could play with no issues.

After updating I get 2 seconds of music before it crashes.

JLK    50

KingWinter: If you have a log.txt file or MDMP file, what you're seeing is very unexpected.

- - - Updated - - -

XanderFlame: Minor updates should be coming very Soon to fix the options screen.... hopefully. :)

KingWinter    10
KingWinter: If you have a log.txt file or MDMP file, what you're seeing is very unexpected.

- - - Updated - - -

XanderFlame: Minor updates should be coming very Soon to fix the options screen.... hopefully. :)

Agreed. Here's my log file: (looks the same as ik3noob and AngryRobotsInc).

Starting up

THREAD - started 'GAClient' (2472)

HttpClient::ClientThread::Main()

cGame::InitializeOnMainThread

cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()

cGame::StartPlaying

LOADING LUA

DoLuaFile data/scripts/main.lua

DoLuaFile loading buffer data/scripts/main.lua

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(101,1) running main.lua

LOADING LUA SUCCESS

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\mixer.lua(76,1) Set set_sfx 1

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\mixer.lua(76,1) Set set_ambience 1

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\mixer.lua(76,1) Set set_music 1

Reset() returning

Error creating shader

Error creating shader

Shader(c:\users\jkwan~1.kle\appdata\local\temp\tmpypeevl\font.vs.tmp), Param(MatrixP) Idx(0)

Assert failure 'array_data.mGLIndex != 0xFFFFFFFF' at ..\source\renderlib\OpenGL\HWEffect.cpp(358): Trace follows...

Edited by KingWinter
typo

Corey    175

If you are having problems, try this fix that was sent in by forum member Mizu.

It has fixed quite a few people's problems:

After this new update, I noticed that several people besides myself had many problems, one of them is the game close after it is opened.

For me it was resolved as follows:

1 -) Open the folder C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dont_starve \ VCRedist and install vcredist_86x (or other name) (*86x for me but my pc is 64x*).

2 -) Open the folder C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dont_starve \ DXRedist and install DXSETUP.

After doing these two steps run the game again

Sincerely,

Mizu.

CTidwell3    10

Same here. I had noticed something trying to install when starting today after the patch. It asked for permission, then never seemed to finish. Following those two steps and manually installing those worked where before it would play a half second of intro music in a black screen before dropping back to Steam.

Sarioya    10

When I try to launch the game through Steam, it says that I'm in the game for a couple of seconds before going back to a regular online status and synching, but a window for the game never even opens. I've re-installed all my drivers, Direct X, the Visual C++ 2008 files, and the game itself. None of which appear to have had no effect.

When I try to launch directly from the .exe file (with Steam running in the background), I get an error message that says, "This application has failed to start because dwmapi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem". Re-installing didn't work for me, as stated above. After some digging, I found that dwmapi.dll isn't native to Windows XP, which is what I'm running. After downloading the file and dropping it in the bin folder, I get an error telling me that, "The Procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll."

The log.txt file from the bin folder is attached, just in case there's anything in there that's making it act stupid. At a glance though, it looks like it's mostly a record of either past games or your current game. Hopefully this can get sorted out Soon. The game was fun until this popped up. I guess it's still fun though. I just can't get to it at the present. :-P

log.txt

Kevin    500
I've tried re-installing both, but to no avail. I'm getting the same problem(-s) as a few have previously stated. I really hope this is fixed!

Are you using XP?

We can get you a copy on Chrome in the short-term. Contact us with your steam info here: contact us

I have been having exactly the same problem as Xaphedo, but with an Intel 965 graphics card. Same result with the GLcrash beta, and now the new version of the steam game.

I filled out the "Contact Us" form about a week ago, but have not gotten any reply. Should I send in another one?

I read a comment earlier in the thread that you "must have played the demo first". Does this mean that if you bought the game via Steam before trying the demo out on Chrome, that you're out of luck? I do not recall the order I did things in, but I do know that I bought it on Steam because I felt more comfortable with the purchase procedure.

On a different issue, I was able to use a friend's computer (a windows 7 machine) to play the steam version of Don't Starve (and enjoyed it!), but the "birds and bees" update has caused the game to crash on that computer. The music starts playing for a brief moment and then "windows has detected a problem" pops up right before the first image shows up.

It has an Nvidia graphics card and I have not thoroughly troubleshooted it yet, so it may yet work.

bendking    10

Im not sure what my friend's specs are but he just has the "Preparing To Launch" Mini window on steam and then nothing happens.. he tried restarting steam, restarting the computer, validating cache data, nothing seems to work :\