Do we really need a sulfur geyser?

Well, the game made a weird connection that the only way to make sugar is to... make it out of sulfur? hmm, sugar is an organic and as such made mostly out of carbon, hydrogen and a little oxygen... and no sulfur. So it seems the biology of sweetles has access to some insanely advanced nuclear physics build in.

Anyhow, as sulfur was effectively made into an optional (but then critical) early game resource, that due to its processing, entirely changes into other things which don't allow to regain in via recycling so no closed loop system is possible. Hence there is little alternative to adding mid game replenishable sources like a geyser. 

So the problem isn't sulfur but its new connection with a starter food plant and sugar. Those simply need to be sustainable instead of potentially starve out a colony. On the other hand I dislike the attitude that a resource having only a single way to obtain them. Given that this is an early uncompleted version, i don't mind that this is currently the case for sugar, if alternatives are added later. Well, perhaps instead this was changed for sulfur for now. That said i completely disagree with some of the opinions that don't like the new geyser.

2 hours ago, TheKilltech said:

So the problem isn't sulfur but its new connection with a starter food plant and sugar. Those simply need to be sustainable instead of potentially starve out a colony. On the other hand I dislike the attitude that a resource having only a single way to obtain them.

The situation with sulfur and plants is similar to slime atm. A lot of people rely on dusk caps as their main food source but the only way of sustaining them is pufts that produce really low amounts. It is sustainable but requires a ton of ranching. I think it`s ok for some plants to not be fully sustainable as long as you can find other food options.

4 hours ago, TheKilltech said:

Well, the game made a weird connection that the only way to make sugar is to... make it out of sulfur?

I'm guessing they mixed it up with saccharin, but that also would need nitrogen... Once dupes get (liquid) nitrogen then they start overclocking...

So yeah, a sulfur geyser is good too. All this adds to game play styles and at least the needs for this material is covered this way so no biggie... I would dare say feeding plug-slugs might be a topic on their own for now.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

pufts that produce really low amounts

I'm thinking of adding a small gulag to my puft ranch...
Given that non-happy critters have their metabolism / poop-rate reduced by 80% then I guess I'd have to have 5 times more of them slime-balloons to compensate...  Since their mobility would be reduced then the impact on computing routing shouldn't be that much. Right now, this version of the ranches only runs the distiller close to 50% of the time leaving no slime behind.

Some ranches are in the spoiler, since it's a little OT:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a1cbec77979b118a1b7509ff24503ae3.png

To their defense sulfur was just a byproduct to reduce the effectiveness of making natural gas from oil.  They could still give it to us now from other chemical processes but that might hurt the base game that still doesn't have any use for it.

Spoiler

Sulphur geyser is on a teleport connected location - the place where slicksters live. In fact the geyser is very good for slicksters as it produces 150C sulpur and great to keep warm lava slicksters. 

It is definitely good to have such geyser. SGB is complicated and difficult without fulleren (super coolant) which is not currently in the game (if you do not spam fulleren comet in a sandbox).

On 12/20/2020 at 3:28 AM, melquiades said:

Plutonium occurs naturally as a decay product, there are no relevant deposits of it in nature. People need to craft it if they want to use it.

I admit that Plutonium is from the candy store. Barium Black Cherry is childhood powder joy !

A Plutonium "Geysor" ( my Geysers are Swiss ) in the game could be a surprise spawned killer for players, don`t you think :confused::confused::confused:

:cheerful:

Recently I got corrected for spelling it "Geysir", I still find that it looks nicer written in that way. A Plutonium "Gaysor" on the Asteroid "Lesbos Lasperina de Reactorz" could also be an 9 foot undertaking. I am looking forward for mass dupe radiation orgies.

image.png.8d168938d365751e955f84c743b9e381.png

image.png.06e77c546e1b4e1d46c0753f22c32cc7.png

More Powa ! Need Reactorz, need Accidentz in ONi. Klei, make great game now !

image.thumb.png.dcf7a23feaceef803f618b521e455d8d.png

image.thumb.png.17da427c876dcf307ba0366d7629895b.pngimage.png.7bd305161eab6a920b31eee48222b3bc.png

Dislaimer:

If you find Plutonium in nature on your mushroom outdoor excavation walk - Don`t eat it, its not healthy.

Only Candystores have the real sugar. Also stay away from sugar, its not healthy.

Mixing Plutonium and Sugar in ONi results in Elephant Toothpaste ( melts at 1969 Fahrenheit )

I had literally thousands upon thousands tons of sulpur on my old base, but you really get to do that on the late game, by that time you don't really need any aditional source of food. It would be cool to have the molten sulphur geysers (not really cool though...), but i rather have sulphur as a byproduct of the oil refinery.

I believe that before checking the need for things because it is possible through some blueprint in the game, first ask yourself "how will the casual player achieve this?"

remember that unlike us that even in the forum we are in the game because we love it, there are a much wider range of people who have to play untruthlessly without having to mine the game in depth and who will not twist and express the game to get have fun or build a new architecture in the game

unlike us kkkk that we will use as much effort as possible to try to break the rules of the game logic to get the greatest possible advantage xD

On 12/22/2020 at 12:39 PM, Singularity42 said:

Well I think it would make sense for there to be a few different methods for making sulfur (assuming a sulfur geyser won't always be guaranteed in the long run).

That is a very good suggestion now that sulfur has actual use and that quite early in the game already. But it's good for another reason, too because the current refinery simply annihilates a lot of mass so retaining some of it as sulfur is an improvement over that.

Also maybe the stone crusher recipes might drop a little sulfur from metal ores as a byproduct. makes most sense for iron ore, especially because we already have another iron ore named "rust" which is more or less just hematite - one of the most common iron ores. So the regular iron ore could then be thought as composed at least in part out of pyrite (an iron sulfide mineral).

Archived