babba    1151

Requesting game option in the settings a la ALT+S: "Maximum Zoom Level" -> Playing warning, affects your game`s frame rate

Edited by babba

blash365    775
49 minutes ago, Cairath said:

Honestly, I've never seen bigger zoom affect fps at all. 

More stuff being rendered quite easily should affect FPS unless it is rendered even if it is not in the view, which could be a loss of performance if not done.

I dont see many other options apart from the computation being so cheap that it literally does not affect FPS significantly. in which case the statement that FPS are reduced would still be correct albeit not noticable.

Cairath    949

99% of fps drop in ONI is caused by more calculations that are tied to frames, not by rendering 2d sprites that an incredibly low-budget gpu is dealing with perfectly. The difference is so small that calling it lowering fps doesn't really do it justice.

• Like 3

Thilo87    17

I notice a fps drop when zooming far out, but it's not that much. Maybe about -5 fps if fully zoomed out. This can't be the reason why Klei does not implement this. Honestly, I will not buy the DLC until mods are enabled or they implemented some of the mods that should be in the base game. This is for example bigger zoom-out, horizontal rotation of all buildings, manual delivery on/off option for all operational buildings and blueprints/a proper copy option (!). Those mods are not big changes but they make a big change. Klei should be able to implement all of these in not more than a day (except for the copy option maybe).

Edited by Thilo87

SharraShimada    928

Zooming far out is causing fps drops, but its near to nothing. And thats not how you play the game, its just for an overview. You cant even place something in max zoom out, because its too tiny. And when you zoom back in, the frames go back to normal.

babba    1151

Running hundreds of dupes with fully excavate basegame map + gigatons of stuff going has an affect on scrolling in the max zoom level. Devs of CitiesSkylines,Anno1800 and ONi (and some other 2d titles ) often don`t include max zoom out by default to avoid player complaints. It is no work at all to activate it from the developer side by default for everyone. Keep all the notebook players in mind :bee: ...ONi player system`s with 5-10 fps scrolling in max zoom is little fun. There has been so many fps ONi posts over the year. The frame rate players complaints probably where on of the key reasons to change to smaller maps.

Would be great to have unlimited zoom in the game by default, I would love it :adoration: ...More player complaints for Klei :lol:

Edited by babba

MinhPham    41
5 hours ago, Cairath said:

Honestly, I've never seen bigger zoom affect fps at all. 

4 hours ago, Cairath said:

99% of fps drop in ONI is caused by more calculations that are tied to frames, not by rendering 2d sprites that an incredibly low-budget gpu is dealing with perfectly. The difference is so small that calling it lowering fps doesn't really do it justice.

Sadly it does .... i know RX580 is quite old but not quite a low end GPU. Here's difference locations on the same game.

fps1.thumb.png.d2f8ba36644894b999294e2ed60194e0.png

fps2.thumb.png.9231d4b5565121e2372c95dfb8538e41.png

fps3.thumb.png.92584cc238c251da2f46d839281ad207.png

Here's some hardware challenging saves ... the zoom-in/zoom-out frame rate differences should be noticeable.

Quarantine Zone 888

1115167328_QuarantineZone1Cycle892.thumb.png.748952ae788e447e88203005a97055f1.png

Home Cycle 964

910819611_HomeCycle880.thumb.png.a4ce72ad4fb41c4babfbf6a06a0004af.png

SafeHeaven

1405769008_SafeHeaven1564.thumb.png.b9b81dd58aaab56204f6c2f65cbfb91f.png

Purgatory 1038

1391154862_Purgatory1038.thumb.png.4529198c8df4b8d9102ee21066d4b6e6.png

Moonbase 1644

731831973_Moonbase1644.thumb.png.e7a1bde66f3482fec528a222603fcad4.png

• Thanks 1

TripLykely    50

With the DLCs smaller maps I wonder how much the bigger zoom-out affecting FPS is mitigated on the average machine? Personally I play on a potato of a laptop and enjoyed great FPS on the mini base and small world mod with lots of zooming out.

MinhPham    41
1 minute ago, TripLykely said:

With the DLCs smaller maps I wonder how much the bigger zoom-out affecting FPS is mitigated on the average machine? Personally I play on a potato of a laptop and enjoyed great FPS on the mini base and small world mod with lots of zooming out.

They aren't smaller at all ... once you uncovered enough "asteroids", you got the same problem.

• Big Ups 1

TripLykely    50

Either way, even on full maps the FPS argument isn’t compelling as a reason not to have it. Again, only from my experience, but the mod never made any noticeable FPS difference to me regardless of map size until very late game zooming out on one large, active, built map. Late game with multiple asteroids in the DLC you’re zooming out on small maps while the other maps exist in the background. Maybe that doesn’t matter. Regardless, from my laptop potato, the bigger zoom mod never caused me FPS issues that broke the game; too many dupes/critters/debris etc has. A little disclaimer on zooming out all the way is fine, it should have been in the game a while ago.

babba    1151
21 hours ago, MinhPham said:

They aren't smaller at all ... once you uncovered enough "asteroids", you got the same problem.

Thank you very much, that link is much appreciated - Had to laugh seeing that the total map space is so huge ( I love it ), some peoples system will cripple to bits as they build everything to the max haha...

Is stuff 100% simulated in this entire mega map ( as in the active player viewed map ) once the players have excavated everything/all asteroids :confused: Dont know if thats the case... :confused:

It seems the old map got to small for the devs haha :lol:

Edited by babba