Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

_Q_

So now what?

Recommended Posts

_Q_    644

I may be wrong on that, but i get impression that the old asteroid got sliced to pieces and now you need to create that network to get some missing resources, but I don't miss any resources, I have unlimited water and unlimited solar power, don't feel like traveling to other rocks. So again most of the things now is optional like the pre DLC rocket things. A bit pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ADM    9617

This is also the feeling I have with this DLC, I don't think it's bad or what. But I'm not a huge fan of the new rocketry, dupe stats changes, teleporter setpieces and all that stuff... I brought it but will probably pass and play on the base game, quite sad cause I actually do like the new start and other some of the other features. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blash365    775

That is why some of our fellow mammal friends are still swinging in trees and walking on all fours. After all, they got everything they need. They got bananas and rainwater. A tree to sleep on. So why would they bother to swing to a different rock. Try using a tool. Or test out bipedal walking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurgel    2981
1 hour ago, _Q_ said:

I may be wrong on that, but i get impression that the old asteroid got sliced to pieces and now you need to create that network to get some missing resources, but I don't miss any resources, I have unlimited water and unlimited solar power, don't feel like traveling to other rocks. So again most of the things now is optional like the pre DLC rocket things. A bit pointless.

That part of the DLC is not balanced yet. The current DLC has some critical new parts of the engine working and some content to use them. It is very incomplete, but that is both expected and not surprising at this stage. Give it 2-3 months for the pace to pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
babba    2138
3 hours ago, _Q_ said:

I may be wrong on that, but i get impression that the old asteroid got sliced to pieces and now you need to create that network to get some missing resources, but I don't miss any resources, I have unlimited water and unlimited solar power, don't feel like traveling to other rocks. So again most of the things now is optional like the pre DLC rocket things. A bit pointless.

"...old asteroid got sliced to pieces"

I would so love to see the slicing with the game engine - A monster meteor as new colony threat, that would be great. :black_eyed:

Ripping up to 50 cells deep and 20 tiles wide a nice stripe in to everything in its path.

image.png.6602c3b419d246f611313829259073cc.png

...also: Nuke Assembler Factory ( "NAF" ) :afro:

image.png.de74927b3da30b3f24243b659535ad02.pngimage.png.459f33c2f0e580d737046d03b0940617.png

Of course, only to melt ice...Hihihihihihi, at first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaxckLl    146

I do kind of agree. Dreckos, Pufts, Oil Reservoirs, perhaps even Pokeshells should be shifted out of the first two Asteroids. CO2 is valuable for rockets, so there's a disadvantage to using it with Slicksters to produce Oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chemie    749
17 hours ago, _Q_ said:

I may be wrong on that, but i get impression that the old asteroid got sliced to pieces and now you need to create that network to get some missing resources, but I don't miss any resources, I have unlimited water and unlimited solar power, don't feel like traveling to other rocks. So again most of the things now is optional like the pre DLC rocket things. A bit pointless.

the second world gave me a hatch egg, and the third world gave me plenty of gold and Al ore with a single rocket trip, beyond that I see no need to return to either.  So basically you get a smaller starting map and still no compelling reason for rockets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I have to agree with this... you eventually get hatches, drekos, reed seeds, etc... out of the printing pod which takes away the motivation to go to other asteroids.

I think that either asteroid-specific recourses should not print at any of the pods whatsoever, or your printing options would be different depending on which asteroid you want to print at (ie. hatches can only be printed on the oil asteroid).

The DLC is in its early access phase, so I do hope that there are big changes coming, but really I do hope that the RNG-factor comes back to this game. A lot of the fun came from making a new world and saying to yourself, "okay, what geysers/resources do I have to play with...", and then making up for what you don't have by using your wits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gamatron332    9
On 12/10/2020 at 6:33 PM, babba said:

"...old asteroid got sliced to pieces"

I would so love to see the slicing with the game engine - A monster meteor as new colony threat, that would be great. :black_eyed:

Ripping up to 50 cells deep and 20 tiles wide a nice stripe in to everything in its path.

image.png.6602c3b419d246f611313829259073cc.png

...also: Nuke Assembler Factory ( "NAF" ) :afro:

image.png.de74927b3da30b3f24243b659535ad02.pngimage.png.459f33c2f0e580d737046d03b0940617.png

Of course, only to melt ice...Hihihihihihi, at first.

I like the way you think. Imagine of these going off by *accident* oooh. My chaos is near

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goboking    2188
7 hours ago, JimmyBritches said:

Unfortunately I have to agree with this... you eventually get hatches, drekos, reed seeds, etc... out of the printing pod which takes away the motivation to go to other asteroids.

Not everyone plays with care packages enabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Q_    644
1 hour ago, goboking said:

Not everyone plays with care packages enabled.

Its standard mode. Even with packages disabled there is no need to go to the second or third planet anyway. The colony is running perfectly, anything beside that is just optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goboking    2188
12 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

The colony is running perfectly, anything beside that is just optional.

That's the nature of these sorts of games.  Once you hit a point of sustainability, you either focus on streamlining and efficiency or beautification, you restart, or you play something else until the fancy strikes you again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Q_    644
4 minutes ago, goboking said:

That's the nature of these sorts of games.  Once you hit a point of sustainability, you either focus on streamlining and efficiency or beautification, you restart, or you play something else until the fancy strikes you again.

Normal stuff, but here most of the survival related systems are not working anymore, and now we got tiny map with 2 water sources, so it ends even faster than usual, and I still see no point in using rockets.

The asteroid is way to small and that ultra futuristic teleporter technology that sends stuff to the other half of the asteroid.  Teleporters should be deleted right away, asteroids should be bigger and with more resources. They could just really update the main asteroid with new biomes and add neighbor colonies I can trade with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Q_    644

I'm done. Game uninstalled. 

This not colony sim and it wasn't a colony sim for ages, the base game mechanics like germs worked only after adding them and then got nerfed to the ground, there was always the search for what geysers, volcano you got on the map, but that alone was getting stale, with final goal of the base game was getting chlorine fating space cow.

Now the cool DLC with more rockets and less survival mechanics than ever. I have Staisfactory for building pointless contraptions, looks much better and can build bigger things in 3D.

This really can't compete with Factorio/Satisfactory and it still tries to do so for some strange reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
babba    2138
On 12/10/2020 at 11:16 PM, blash365 said:

That is why some of our fellow mammal friends are still swinging in trees and walking on all fours. After all, they got everything they need. They got bananas and rainwater. A tree to sleep on. So why would they bother to swing to a different rock. Try using a tool. Or test out bipedal walking.

Bipedal walking - The day there was communication confusion with the two terms "Mammal" and "Mamil"...was a great day :lemo:

There is interesting documentaries about the Voyager Program, where it is often said that "Mankind walking down the street often wants to see what is behind the next curve". Also applies to cycling :lol:

2 hours ago, _Q_ said:

...This really can't compete with Factorio/Satisfactory and it still tries to do so for some strange reason.

In both titles it is not possible to build 100 showers, which then get used by 100 colonists :adoration: With a fast enough pc that is possible per asteroid. One likes the ONi ant colony 2d style chemistry mixing or not - I have always loved it.

I find designing sewage systems great fun, but that is my opinion :afro:

If one day multiplayer is in the game, I could exchange my sewage products with other players :bee::bee::bee: ...perhaps mixing some nuclear waste in, to spice things up.

"Babba`s Sewage Rocket Cargo Inc. - Same day delivery"

Need all Rocketz & Reactorz plz, tank u Papa Klei Smurf ! :angel::angel::angel:

Onnniiiiiiiii

image.thumb.png.c07b7069fc12c70fb4cbfb2425336b95.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blash365    775
4 hours ago, _Q_ said:

This really can't compete with Factorio/Satisfactory and it still tries to do so for some strange reason.

It also cant compete with Sim City 3000, in both games you build stuff.

It also cant compete with Nerf Blast Arena, in both games you can shoot with guns.

It also cant compete with Asteroids, both games happen to feature asteroids.

 

But luckily ONI merits its own spot within the universe of Sim-Games. Without having to directly compete with a similar game. Apart from that blatant hell-colony-copy ofc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kderosa    73

The thing is, and I’ve said this before, ONI lacks a proper end game goal. the game is still in development. The DLC merely fixes the pathing and computational problems that wreak havoc on frame rates late game. And since only about 1% of players have reached the tear the devs are wisely working on early and mid game issues and using the DLC for financing the development.

The monument building achievement is mostly a participant ribbon for newer players. While building the LOX/LH rockets to reach the tear are a bit anticlimactic as an end game. There no real need to research, much less travel to, any planet farther out than the nearest planets having niobium and fullerene. Isoresin is just a luxury. 

Those who think this is a base building game might disagree since building a base to send one rocket to the tear seems like a legit goal. But once you’ve learned the standard builds, you realize the game is more a plate spinning game where you have to keep lots of plates spinning while you complete some difficult end goal that requires all the plates to spin without fail the entire time. (I’m thinking something like pharaoh, a twenty year old building game, that required the building of a huge pyramid that took decades.)


And you can see some of those mechanics already in place but just not utilized fully yet. Breeding radiant and abyss shine bugs for their eggs. Obtaining a gassy moo and keeping it alive in a suitable ranch.  Surviving the extreme hot temperatures that require the use of thermium and insulation. Un-nerfing the disease mechanics to provide another plate to spin.

A proper end game would require mastering all those things while keeping a complex base spanning multiple planetoids functioning and the supply chains working. 

And the thing is the devs might just get there at the conclusion of this DLC. And that would supply this missing point. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
misotoma    47

It's interesting hearing people's opinion about the game. For me it's a game that keeps me entertained enough. I don't want to go full World of Warcraft nerd on a game anymore.. I don't want a game to feel like clocking in to work. But this game is good enough. I can do things my way or other peoples way.. I can create, test, account, etc. It's a nice game and like I said is good enough. Will this game keep me from real life or other games? No but that's good enough for me.. and it's probably why it'll take a long while for me to get bored of it. Roland's ultimate end map.. where he pumps so much carbon dioxide into the vacuum of space while having trouble deleting it.. create a co2 biome. That's truly the end game of ONI lol.. after that you cannot reach anything more ultimate. Just.. restart. Until you get bored.

"it is what it is" -Ronaldo Trumpeta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blash365    775
49 minutes ago, Kderosa said:

The thing is, and I’ve said this before, ONI lacks a proper end game goal. the game is still in development. The DLC merely fixes the pathing and computational problems that wreak havoc on frame rates late game. And since only about 1% of players have reached the tear the devs are wisely working on early and mid game issues and using the DLC for financing the development.

The devs specifically said that they are planning for endgame content as part of this DLC. The EA of the DLC has started about a week ago. It is clearly not even close to its final scope.

Not sure why you want to judge on the endgame of the DLC now. Let's just wait for the content updates to drop and then provide feedback to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
babba    2138
1 hour ago, Kderosa said:

..

Those who think this is a base building game might disagree since building a base...

I prefer playing ONi much over Factorio/Cities Skylines and such. I did everything which is possible in Cities, the only thing which would get me back is properly simulated 20 lane highway traffic and properly simulated 10 runway airports...the games engine cant do that ( the devs dont really work on the games engine since long time ), it is at the max since a few years...Also the Cities devs are rather in the hot tube all day long and popping babies, collecting $$$ - The free game content updates and sold expansions are more or less gimmicks. Modders try to get everthing out of the game, but they can only get whats technical possible out of the games engine, population and traffic code.

Factorio is an true Lego evergreen, one can always come back to Factorio once a year to inhale more industrial and alien fighting content. Its also great for industrial railway freaks, it always has been.

Anno1800 is a masterpiece city builder and transportation sim, but the players customization is limited in the way that its pre-fab buildings.

IMHO in terms of world customization its Anno 1800/CitiesSkylines vs ONi & Factorio.

The tube system in ONi is great, perhaps I`m lucky and get elevators/escalators someday + Indiana Jones Mining Railway.

There is no rule how one plays a game or how one plays this game, within the boundaries of what is possible in a game, or this game. I find it is a great colony building and factory game, with a great touch of the Smurfs & The Muppet Dozers. One may perhaps only discover the industrial aspects or city aspect by playing the game a while longer and one needs to be a fan of the 2d art and perhaps have a thirst for chemistry and automation to enjoy ONi to the brim.

For me it is also the only available fun game where I can mix substances,heat and freeze on an industrial scale. If Fire, Combustion, Explosions, Firefighting Equipment and Multiplayer would be added someday, it would add so much to the game.

If the devs add more dangerous components, the players will suffer and solve their own wrong doings(accidents) as the players toy with their dangerous Lego components.

If the devs continue to work on the game over the years, it could be a very rich experience by, lets say 2024. I`m hoping for more Rimworld endgame challenges, threats which scale to the current "Power" of a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kderosa    73
18 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Not sure why you want to judge on the endgame of the DLC now. Let's just wait for the content updates to drop and then provide feedback to it.

I specifically pointed out that the devs were wisely working on the early and mid games. But, I’m also trying to answer the OP’s question. The issue is that, despite getting countless hours of enjoyment out of the game, many recognize that the game is somewhat pointless since there is no goal. Some keep building just for the sake of building which is fine. Others develop their own goals. But none of that is a substitute for a real goal built into the game. And I am fully aware that the devs have stated that they aren’t working on that aspect of the game yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
babba    2138
3 minutes ago, Kderosa said:

I specifically pointed out that the devs were wisely working on the early and mid games. But, I’m also trying to answer the OP’s question. The issue is that, despite getting countless hours of enjoyment out of the game, many recognize that the game is somewhat pointless since there is no goal. Some keep building just for the sake of building which is fine. Others develop their own goals. But none of that is a substitute for a real goal built into the game. And I am fully aware that the devs have stated that they aren’t working on that aspect of the game yet.

Should be really good in lets say 2024, with proper rich endgame stuff - Touch wood :angel:

ONi is a game where one can always sniff new content over the years. The game base is being rebuilt, its a good foundation now IMHO. Once all rockets and the radiation stuff is working in survival mode, then I will change my bad Steam rating to a good one...My opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onysa    9

All games are pointless if you want to look at it that way :indecisiveness:

Builder games tend to have zero end content all over anyway, you build for the sake of building. I had Skylines forever but never could really get into it, ONI then again has always kept me interested by multitude things, like wanting to tackle different starts, harder builds, those random achievements, getting that automation thingamajig working on my own, more functional bases, new tactics.. I count any added end goals in a builder game as a bonus, not a necessity.

 

But each to their own. One game can never satisfy everyone anyway and I don't think that should be even considered as a goal or might end up just alienating one side of players when adjusting it to cater others.


Hell, one game cannot even satisfy me, I go full wow-nerd and play ONI back to back, how are they mutually exclusive??  :confused::D Also need some fps from time to time and then chilled farming and courting in Stardew. .....hmmm, romance aspect in ONI would be rather cool now that I think of it :livid: Gief Meep and Nails wedding!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites