Water Geyser - what to do with 95°C water?

Hi everybody

i am pretty new to the game and i am still not sure what to do with hot water?

Cooling or heating ( to steam ) it up, seems to me like a waste of power.

So is the best way, to use it for Electrolysers, that output hot o2/h2 no matter how hot the water is? Any other suggestions?

My colony's state: Badlands ( no gold ), Plastic ( Dreckos ), 1t steel.

Main use: Electrolysers and cooling down the oxy as needed. No need to cool down the hydrogen.

Later on: Pipe into oil wells for crude oil. Build somewhat carefully as 90º water and above can have the risk of flashing into steam when the oil well is vented.

Alt uses: Hot tub water, although this barely counts (these are really well made, they don't cool water that much) -- Con: needs wood, best made with steel too!

Other recreational buildings can also take hot water. Soda/ coffee machine. But will heat up.

I also use this hot water as means to cool down power transformers before the water is sent to the electrolysers...

If used for cooling, do make sure to keep it in motion ;)

23 minutes ago, Alexandr Block said:

Any use: cooking, researching, irrigation, electrolysis.
To prevent plants from overheating, use thermo aquatuner with steam turbine to cool the air near the plant roots. Also use insulated liquid pipe.
Do not cool the water. Cool the air.

yea... not so much... you can maintain some temperature differential between the water and the plants ( then again, why are you growing plants that take water? ), but it does tend to bleed a lot of heat into the plants even with insulated pipes.  Cooling the air is certainly better than cooling the water, but much better still to save the hot water for the electrolyzer, and grow mushrooms and ranch critters and pacu that don't consume water at all.  Unfed pacu in a tank of water tend to replace themselves as long as you have a sweeper remove the eggs rapidly to a separate room for them to hatch, and their body temperature tends to keep the water at 30 C without any work.

4 hours ago, gabberworld said:

well if you have iron then you can make metal what is even better than gold for pumps

Was this change? I played in open access and pumps were only possible to build from basic metals, not from refined metals. What material you refer to?

58 minutes ago, Mutineer said:

Was this change? I played in open access and pumps were only possible to build from basic metals, not from refined metals. What material you refer to?

When they added steel they made it usable for almost anything that takes metal.  It's technically classified as a manufactured material, but I always think of it as both ore and refined.

Send it in to oil reservoirs and other things that don't really mind the temperature.  I usually boil the salt water so I use that in steam applications instead of hot water.  Electrolyzers like Gurgel said is very nice since you can burn that hydrogen right off.

12 hours ago, psusi said:

When they added steel they made it usable for almost anything that takes metal.  It's technically classified as a manufactured material, but I always think of it as both ore and refined.

I see, No way I can make steel yet. I am in same position as Original Poster. I run out on small initial water using it for ferns and some research .I did not find any more. I found 95C water geyser. At the end I bottle some to Rust biome, cooling it to about 45C to feed Ferns and use 95C water to finish research. Research seems to delete heat, with small amount leaking out.

My base seems does not overheat, I do not know explanation. Do Trees delete heat?

11 hours ago, Mutineer said:

My base seems does not overheat, I do not know explanation. Do Trees delete heat?

They can sort of be used to do that.  The wood spawns at the same temperature as the tree and has a lot of mass.  If you store it somewhere hot so it can absorb heat, then feed it to an ethanol refinery, that heat gets deleted.  Toilet water also comes out at 37 C so if you dump heat into it before using it in the toilets, it can be used to delete some heat.

At the end of the day, if you have really run out of cool water ( no swamp or salt water biomes around? ) and haven't yet gotten to the oil biome and are about ready to build an AT+ST, you may be toast.  If you have a gold biome around you may be able to use that to cool some water to limp along for a bit longer, but you'd better get on that AT+ST pronto.

28 minutes ago, psusi said:

Toilet water also comes out at 37 C so if you dump heat into it before using it in the toilets, it can be used to delete some heat.

I am guessing that this needs to be done with care, since the hot water sitting in pipes, even insulated ones, waiting to be used in the toilets, will heat the base over time?

26 minutes ago, Majestix said:

I am guessing that this needs to be done with care, since the hot water sitting in pipes, even insulated ones, waiting to be used in the toilets, will heat the base over time?

This is correct, and most buildings exchange heat with their contents. Note: "most", this excludes some special ones like the sauna and metal refinery. Those two are the most used ones unless you build rockets inside the base (the liquid tanks for fuel and oxidizer are safe as well, I would guess as much :))

The hot tub does a good job of keeping its contents at temperature but it does lose heat slowly into the environment. Something nice about it is that pumping germy water into it will sterilize it  (guessing the bleach stone is not a complete waste on this one)

4 hours ago, Majestix said:

Yes, some heat will leak out of the pipes, but I don't think it's enough to worry about.  Especially if you just let most of your colony sit at 50+ C anyway and only worry about keeping the plants cool so they don't wilt.

7 hours ago, JRup said:

Note: "most", this excludes some special ones like the sauna and metal refinery.

And reservoirs. IIRC, contents exchange heat with one tile on the floor. If build in a vacuum, on airflow/mesh tiles, there's no transfer between the reservoir and the liquid inside. I've never tried with gasses, I suspect it works the same.

Something I haven't tried is to trap some vacuum in a airflow tile, water lock it from above, and then use it as floor for a refinery. Probably overkill, compared to just using insulated ceramic tiles as floor, unless your're dealing with super hot liquids (but in that case you're already prepared to do that in a vacuum anyway).

21 minutes ago, TheMule said:

I've never tried with gasses, I suspect it works the same.

Pretty much does it that way. Both reservoirs conduct their heat exchange in the output pipe tile. So while "capturing the vacuum" one would have to forcibly provide shelter for that tile and the flooring tile underneath would need to be airflow or mesh (with vacuum...). It would prove less of a hassle working in a vacuum altogether.

22 minutes ago, TheMule said:

unless your're dealing with super hot liquids (but in that case you're already prepared to do that in a vacuum anyway).

I loved magma as coolant for the refinery I used in my current playthrough. Preheat those obsidian pipes and you're golden.

You can use wheeze wort (or a nullifier if one is handy) with a temp filtering loop to cool the water down for a low power, but low throughput solution. Then again... If you want to cool the water to temperate levels just for farming and a few living area odds and ends then low throughput is not a problem.

The same way this type of element filtration works...

image.png.8f7dce9d1812f813c24bb4cf13e8368a.png

You can instead use a thermo pipe sensor and sort for everything lower than a threshold.(for temperate base temp 20C)

I tend to cool/heat everything I let into my [well insulated] base this way. The utilities to cool are just too low res for my purposes. I want 20 degrees and no more/less for optimal living space ambient temp, and a 15 degree delta just doesn't cut it.  They are useful in industry elsewhere of course. Coupled with steam turbines to help with the energy cost.

Archived