xFleury

Please don't nerf winter...

Szczuku    14673

I'm also not happy with the fact that there are crops that grow in winter. Also apparently crops no longer die durring summer or catch on fire as long as they're watered.

Farms and crops are apparently just supposed to be the source of food you can always count on, no longer being affected by seasons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ArubaroBeefalo    5915
8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think they will nerf Winter lol.. where did you get such a crazy idea from?

Because now you can grow things like potatoes which heals you 20 heal and restores stomach but i dont that a player who can grow  potatoes will starve anyways and is a good help for warly and wurt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Superwolfkid    1264
On 12/1/2020 at 4:12 AM, Szczuku said:

I'm also not happy with the fact that there are crops that grow in winter. Also apparently crops no longer die durring summer or catch on fire as long as they're watered.

Farms and crops are apparently just supposed to be the source of food you can always count on, no longer being affected by seasons.

Well to be fair, I feel like the one thing that's different from the normal farm plots is that you can't really control when you get the crops and such you have to plan ahead and things can be setback. Like imagine a player growing crops before Winter and they have just one or two more days left before they grow, but the game sets to Winter and they're crops could no longer grow like other plants do in Winter, and unlike the original crops, these ones are actually alive and need care, so you would have to still care for them while there sitting there doing nothing (unless Klei designs a thing where the Crops would bury themselves underground until winter dissapeared) plus what @Bird Up said, Early game Winter for a Wurt is pure living heck! (Pardon my language) so having a more beginner/casual friendly way of Gathering food for Wurt sounds alot more better then having to grind the Bunnymen exploit, Kelp, and finding the moon bushes for your survival. (With the patch notes I feel like Klei is thinking the same way!) 

But I do kind of agree it sounds  a bit weird for how winter usually works in dont starve. Maybe if they make if the crops got stressed out by temperature and you could make a crop warmer or cooler to calm them down, or certain plants could survive extreme harsh temperatures (for ex: potatoes in winter, or Dragonfruit in the summer.)

• Like 2

cybers2001    67

To the other end, summer and winter are both very boring seasons for veteran players. It's the perfect time to chill in your base and grow crops.  

Maybe a good compromise would be some sort of expensive structure that provides heating for plants. Or maybe just use dragonscale furnaces. :wilson_vforvictory:

Parusoid    636

If im not mistaken, new players got discouraged by the challenges of winter. We all want our friends to play with us, so if this little change ( that simply allow to not starve while retaining all other challenges), will make winter more bearable for new players, then there is higher chance that they will stay to play longer

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 1

Mike23Ua    8358
48 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

If im not mistaken, new players got discouraged by the challenges of winter. We all want our friends to play with us, so if this little change ( that simply allow to not starve while retaining all other challenges), will make winter more bearable for new players, then there is higher chance that they will stay to play longer

I think even as a noob I had minimal problems with Winter, even DS single player eases the player into Winter with useful blueprints and precrafted stuff and already burning fire sources.

The thing that turned those players away wasn’t Winter itself.. but rather the beast that shows up destroying 20 something days worth of hard work they’ve put into whatever they’ve created.

Making crops that grow in Winter isn’t going to lessen that challenge, and I’m also no fool- I know fully well what Klei did with Reap what you Sow.. other players may not realize it yet but trust me I’m onto your devilish schemes Klei..

Spoiler

Players could Exploit Bearger by simply removing all food sources from their base when it spawns, it ignores any area that doesn’t have food for it to eat, but NOW most those players are going to be building lots of tasty crops dead center of their base for that hungry Bearger to want :p

In a way: it lessened the challenge of Winter a bit.. but made Bearger more of a threat.

• Like 1

ZeeDragon    2245
53 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think even as a noob I had minimal problems with Winter

But everyone else is a different person. We're not Mikes, I'm Texan.

Edited by ZeeDragon
That was random as heck.
  • Haha 1

BeeClops    665

Crops growing in winter won't change anything in that regard, newbies will still die in winter. I remember my first winters in DS many years ago, the most fun i've had with this game probably and what got me hooked, it was so hard lol :D. Hearing hounds or deerclops was like hearing death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Toros    1883
On 11/30/2020 at 5:08 PM, xFleury said:

One of the hallmarks of DST is surviving winter; any time I'm introducing new players to the game, that is the challenge I try to prepare them for, and also the challenge that always seems to spike their interests in the game.

The winter experience in DST is terrific; the nights are long, the turf is completely covered with snow, the temperature is brutal, and damn near nothing grows. It's more of a horror game than most of the horror games on Steam, lol

On the experimental branch right now, I'm having very mixed feelings on what I'm seeing. The farming rework looks fantastic; boulder-sized veggies is both hilarious and rewarding (for the effort you spend, unlike ocean-fishing), but why does it have to grow in winter? And why is there barely any snow?

Winter is actually one of the easiest seasons to not starve in because ice is busted as filler and you can toss a monster meat or a morsel into a crockpot with ice and get meatballs which feed most characters for most of a day.  Ice also lasts forever in the fridge and is everywhere during winter.

As a new player winter is dark and full of terrors.  Once you've survived a year it's a winter wonderland.

• Like 3

ZeeDragon    2245
4 hours ago, xFleury said:

I'm having fun with this update, but lol... "winter" :roll:

unknown.png

Don't you just love it when the OP Necro's a thread just to mock and ignore what everyone said a few days ago?

• Health 1

ZeeDragon    2245
Just now, stranger again said:

if i may ask what does necro mean?

To revive an old thread, sometimes you'll see users necro a thread that died 2 years ago.

• Like 1

viberr    900
31 minutes ago, ZeeDragon said:

To revive an old thread, sometimes you'll see users necro a thread that died 2 years ago.

neat.thanks for telling me 

• Like 1

xFleury    28

Can Wicker's book make giant crops? We had a Wicker at some point in autumn, and got her to try and rush a 3 toma root + 3 potatoe self-balancing farm plot, and it didn't grow giant -- despite that our Wormwood had been taking good care of it.

Was there not enough water in the soil to insta rush past 2 stages of growth? Or is her book just incapable of making giant crops? We assumed the latter, and that's why the book is still on the ground lol.. she left immediately after.