blash365

[Suggestion] Defrosting Cryo Tanks

Recommended Posts

DarkMaster13    238

Alternatively, let us see what traits the dupe has before we defrost them.  So we can just not defrost them if we don't like what they offer or if doing so at that time is actively detrimental.  Ex: A non-digger in a newly established base will be a huge liability, even if we can find jobs for them later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blash365    750
36 minutes ago, Alexandr Block said:

Or 1-2 random perks from the Neural Vacillator.
Your perks can also be added to Neural Vacillator. It's weird to do a whole perk for one duplicate in the game.

Who said there could only be one dupe left in the ice-box?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carcer_    18
1 hour ago, blash365 said:

Who said there could only be one dupe left in the ice-box?

So your suggesting we could save one but let the othes die or remain frozen for eternity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blash365    750
1 minute ago, Carcer_ said:

So your suggesting we could save one but let the othes die or remain frozen for eternity?

I am saying there might be other ice boxes on other asteroids. So my suggestion does not apply to 1 dupe per game. But to a number of POI throughout the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beowulfe    183

I haven't played around with cryo boxes yet, but question for those that have - are they reusable?

If not, I have a suggestion - allow them to be reused. In other words, after waking the dupe up, allow you to re-freeze other duplicants, which would allow you to both swap one of your existing duplicants for the one in the box, but also potentially provide some interesting options for sending extra dupes to a new asteroid but in stasis until you're ready for them (of course, that would mean the cryo box has to be moveable or rebuildable, but that would also be interesting).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blash365    750
1 hour ago, Beowulfe said:

I haven't played around with cryo boxes yet, but question for those that have - are they reusable?

If not, I have a suggestion - allow them to be reused. In other words, after waking the dupe up, allow you to re-freeze other duplicants, which would allow you to both swap one of your existing duplicants for the one in the box, but also potentially provide some interesting options for sending extra dupes to a new asteroid but in stasis until you're ready for them (of course, that would mean the cryo box has to be moveable or rebuildable, but that would also be interesting).

That is an excellent idea! We should be able to send our dupes onto space travels and put them into cryo-sleep for the entire trip. What could possibly go wrong? Face hugger patch | Etsy

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevdog    23
On 11/27/2020 at 9:18 AM, DarkMaster13 said:

Alternatively, let us see what traits the dupe has before we defrost them.  So we can just not defrost them if we don't like what they offer or if doing so at that time is actively detrimental.  Ex: A non-digger in a newly established base will be a huge liability, even if we can find jobs for them later on.

I like this suggestion from the perspective of wanting to control who comes into the colony.

On the other hand, I also like the idea of rolling the dice on a dupe as a little push outside my comfort zone. Maybe I get a flatulent or narcoleptic dupe and suddenly have to deal with something I never would have taken from the pod. If I don't want to take the risk, I can always leave the dupe frozen.

 

On 11/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, blash365 said:
  • Reknown Explorer - 1-3 more tiles sight radius when exploring an asteroid

Building on this idea - maybe defrosting the dupe reveals ruins or other areas of the map. Thematically, perhaps the frozen dupe knows something about the layout of the buildings nearby. This would "sweeten the pot" to open the cryotank early versus leaving it until later (or never).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blash365    750
7 hours ago, Kevdog said:

Building on this idea - maybe defrosting the dupe reveals ruins or other areas of the map. Thematically, perhaps the frozen dupe knows something about the layout of the buildings nearby. This would "sweeten the pot" to open the cryotank early versus leaving it until later (or never).

I was considering something like that as well. Akin to civilizations barbarian who can random useless random tiles on the map. But that is just a one-time-bonus, which doesnt help much with the _identity_ of the dupe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chemie    737

I would rather build a second printer on that world and choose versus rolling the dice and having to kill a really bad negative trait dupe.

Edited by chemie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurgel    2052

On the other hand, why not give them negative traits?

  • Ice crystals: Unfortunately, this dupe was frozen too slow. It now has holes in its brain (well, more holes than a regular dupe) and performs below the level of a Meep. While if can use every machine, it may well make it explode. Its bed will catch fire every other night. It is not toilet-trained. On the plus-side, every other dupe loves this broken creature and as long as this dupe is kept around, they get +6 morale.
  • Megalomaniac: While there was no ice in this dupes brain, something else went very wrong. This dupe is constantly trying to run the colony and to tell everybody what to do. On the plus side, every other dupe gets +3 athletics to get away faster from this one.
  • Axe-murderer: This dupe is just angry. Very angry. It will try to murder other dupes in their sleep. It will never succeed, making it even angrier. Because of that, dupes now regenerate stamina while sleeping at twice the ordinary speed, they want to give the creep as little time to strike as possible. During the day, the killer pretends to be an ordinary dupe, but occasionally growls at other dupes, giving them -5 morale for a short time.
  • Doppelganger: This dupe kidnaps a random other dupe every day and hides them in a closet. Then they pretend to be them. Unfortunately they do not get the skills of the dupe taken, with predictable consequences. On the plus-side, they can construct closets, which is an enhanced storage compactor that can store 40t or one dupe. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goboking    1731
On 11/27/2020 at 10:57 AM, blash365 said:

Reknown Explorer - 1-3 more tiles sight radius when exploring an asteroid

Now I want this trait added to the general pool.  It would make a great trait for a "scout", someone sent to get things up and running on other asteroids.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blash365    750
8 hours ago, chemie said:

Would would rather build a second printer on that world and choose versus rolling the dice and having to kill a really bad negative trait dupe.

 

2 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

On the other hand, why not give them negative traits?

...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now