Share your thoughts about skin system.  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about skins in DST in general?

• Love the idea, one of the reasons I choose DST over DS.
    • They're a good addition to the game.
    • They don't really matter for me.
    • Couldn't care less, but they sometimes manage to annoy me.
    • I wish they were never introduced.
  2. 2. What do you think about skin drop frequency?

• It's too low, I like receiving gifts, even small ones.
    • It's ok how it is, wouldn't change much.
    • It sometimes bothers me to open them so often, just pack them in a bundle that I can open once a week. There are treasure chests for that, so why don't use them instead.
  3. 3. What do you think about the limited amount of skins you can get in a week?

• They shouldn't have a limit at all, let me grind them to infinity.
    • The limit is well set.
    • It used to be much lower and I preferred it that way. People nowadays are spoiled with too much gifts.
  4. 4. What do you think about random chance of getting higher tier skins?

• It's a joke! I didn't get an elegant in ages! There needs to be a mechanic guarantying an elegant drop after not getting any for a longer time.
    • It could be a little higher...
    • Rare is called rare for a reason, I wouldn't change the drop rates.
    • It used to be rarer and I liked it that way. I see people getting elegants all over the place.
  5. 5. How do you feel about receiving "pocket spools" weekly instead of random skins?

• Oh, I like the idea! I'm actually quite tired of receiving another red T-Shirt...
    • Ugh? But what about unweavable skins? I don't understand how it would work.
    • A big no. Don't even start with me.

Sapientis    390

I was wondering how do people see skin dropping mechanic in DST.

Back in time, when one could get only 4 skins a week it was quite rare to ever drop something better. After receiving another elegant last evening I started analyzing how much the whole thing regarding skins has changed. Most of older character skins are now weavable, partially with Heirloom rarity counterpart. Most newly introduced skins are only available in in-game Shop or weavable with spools. Prices in Steam marked have lowered, but we still see Formal collection on top of the ladder, probably because these skins don't drop any more or their drop rate is fixed to some special numbers.

I cannot say I have any strong opinions about how the drops work today, so I decided to create this poll and gather what does the community think about skin system in general.

Oh, and last thing. The poll is limited to a certain number of questions and I had a couple more in mind covering an aesthetic side of existing skins. Let me know if you'd like me to make another poll on that subject.

May the luck be at your side, happy elegant getting friends!

Edit: Pocket Spools concept - TL; DR: Spools instead of random skins plus full on communism.

We actually have it already but hidden, because all of the skins we receive can be unraveled. My idea was to change it partially (or fully) to a fixed amount of spools for everybody (skin rarity is linked with randomness, so some of us may receive less than others).

Partially means that only daily login drops would be changed to some amount of spools received, but players would still receive random drops during gameplay.

That way everybody would "earn" spools for daily logging in and for playing, wouldn't have to manually unravel every one of them and saved spools could be directly used to weave desired items or purchase a random item of a chosen rarity (let's say Common Chest for 10 Spools, Classy Chest for 30 Spools, Spiffy Chest for 100 Spools, Distinguished Chest for 300 Spools, Elegant Chest for 900 Spools). No one would argue about not receiving Elegants, Veterans wouldn't have problems with heaps of Common items they don't use, RNG would be an optional choice.

Edited by Sapientis
Adding Pocket Spool Concept
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well-met    4503

I tried to complete the poll but there's no option to point out that rare drops are really good.

I played DST like 20 hours in the last 5 months and still managed to drop 3 elegants.

I have 6000 spools and I haven't spent a dollar on anything.

the drop system is perfect already.

• Like 3

Slagger    1521

The skin system is not main point of DST, that makes it different from DS but It's really nice and enjoyful pay of it.
I mean they let you look cool, make roleplay and that's great.
And I'm mostly happy with the system (Playing for 3 or 4 years but just get two head skin  but I still think it's balanced XD) that now but spool pocket is pretty nice idea too!

Sapientis    390
15 minutes ago, Well-met said:

I tried to complete the poll but there's no option to point out that rare drops are really good.

I played DST like 20 hours in the last 5 months and still managed to drop 3 elegants.

I have 6000 spools and I haven't spent a dollar on anything.

the drop system is perfect already.

If you opened daily gifts regularly it's not very surprising, but if not you might consider yourself lucky.

If you think the drop system is perfect as it is 3rd option covers that. The statement that elegants are rare drops is meant to be objective, because the percentage to get them is the lowest. Elegants aren't that rare in my opinion either.

I see people argue about not getting elegants for many months, but they usually don't bother to even open the game daily to receive the free gifts.

DaZoul    1948

I think the current system is pretty much perfect. Might just be my luck, but the elegants are definitely rare, not rare enough to feel like heaven on earth, but rare enough to make me feel rather Pog when I get one. Weaving is also nice. It is somewhat of a shame that you can't weave some skins, but you can't buy them from anywhere other than the market (looking at you, Pod of Alchemy) which is weird since skins are supposed to be another source of income for Klei

• Like 1

Sapientis    390
3 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Considering that skins are one of the few ways klei can support the game, it's good as is.
People can weave an elegant per month or optionally buy the skins en-masse. It's a perfect mid-point.

Especially given the fact that the price of the game is ridiculously low and comes with an additional copy. Combining that with occasional discounts you can buy two copies of a game with so much content for a couple of dollars. Buying some skins should be treated like thanking Klei for such generosity.

• Like 1

Mike23Ua    8640

My opinion is that the skins I and others who enjoy skins buy is what is helping to directly fund the completely free content updates the game gets on almost a month by month basis.. so for the people who hate the skins remember this- They’re literally what’s keeping your game up to date with fresh new content.

And for the people who LOVE the skins I encourage you to buy more of them as often as you possibly can, and do so with the proud knowledge that your purchase helps to fund content updates- And to also maybe even put a Turkey on the folks at Klei’s table over the holidays.

I think the drop rate for skins is fine as it is and since I can’t buy from other players, sale to other players or trade with other players- a skins rarity value is only as good for me as the spools they’re worth should I choose to unravel them.

Pikapikap    1463

I like the skin system, so I can buy those exquisite skins, get happiness and support klei. I will always do this

Edited by Pikapikap
  • Shopcat 1

Sapientis    390
10 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

You ever look at some poll question options that are long compared to the others and think "yeah, that's probably the one that is OP's opinion". 

It will usually go something like: Do you think Maxwell's duelists are useful?

( ) Yes

( ) Maybe

( ) No, they're awful. Can't use them for crap and every time you make them you know you're better off befriending pigs than to waste nightmare fuel on something that will die so easily. Their swords aren't even the same as dark swords. I had a chicken pot pie yesterday. And another thing I hate is tha-

Hahaha, that's great! :D

I wanted them to present a certain attitude I am aware of. Only some present my way of thinking.

• Like 1

I hate the prices for good nonweaveable skins, make them weaveable and cheaper! Some are SUPER expensive and 'low on stock' There should be no limit to how much skins there are on the shop as once their gone they will be like thousands of dollars and we don't have that much money. Me liking collecting skins to get that 100% is sad.

• Hunger 1

Well-met    4503
11 minutes ago, xBeefaloSL4Y3Rx said:

I voted for limit is well set on skin drops because I've never reached it, but why is there a limit?

because then some people would leave their game running forever and farm them.

• Sad Dupe 1

Nino123    351

I'm just sad they turned some rare skins buyable. costume collrection, for exemple, cause i miss the exitation of opening a gift on hallowed night as i can have it when i want.

Wardin25    1039
3 minutes ago, Nino123 said:

I'm just sad they turned some rare skins buyable. costume collrection, for exemple, cause i miss the exitation of opening a gift on hallowed night as i can have it when i want.

yeah, I usually like to sell the elegant skins on the market to buy something else for dst or other games, once I got the catcoon pack and I got plenty of skins from selling it, btu doing that is rarer and rarer every rework/event

Sapientis    390
4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

These poll answers sure have a lot of personality.

Thank you :tranquillity:

I updated the original post with my concept of Pocket Spools, but it's just an idea.

I also think there should be an option to purchase spools directly.