viberr

obscure tips and tricks for bosses?

viberr    938

heyo everyone its me your favorite schlatty boy 

so when it comes to bosses there are a lot ways to kill them but people use certain tricks to kill bosses.the well known ones being walling off the lavae in the drangonfly fight, using ice staffs on crab king,letting bearger chop trees for you and then getting him killed by treegaurds,etc

but do you have any obscure tips or tricks for a boss that you think not enough people know? if so share them here.

hope you all have a fantastic day or night wherever you are in the world 

• Like 3

Well-met    4361
2 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

You can disable Klaus' deer by using staves of opposite elements. its a tad finicky to pull off, though.

fire staff takes too long to make the blue gem deer panic. it doesn't work well at all.

• Like 2

BeeClops    680
1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

This was posted in the obscure mechanics thread, but you can hold/drop a shadow thurible and be immune to fuelweavers bone cage  (with the dropped one preventing it within 1.5 tiles of the thurible).

Yup, so after killing the Fuelweaver 8 times you don't ever need lazy explorer anymore, which is cool. I just leave them in the arena and refuel them when i get there. 

Not really any obscure mechanic, but wanna say that the milkmade hat is a great item for toad and even more misterytoad fights if you're Wolfgang, and for misery regardless of character tbh.

2x bone armor gives you full immunity against almost all bosses. Guardian needs 3, toad will only hit you in 3rd stage with earthquake and Klaus with his second of the 1-2 punches. This is if all you do is stand still and switch armors; not the most exciting way but hey, sometimes you just want to do it the fastest.

Edited by BeeClops
  • Like 2

viberr    938
3 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

=

Not really any obscure mechanic, but wanna say that the milkmade hat is a great item for toad and even more misterytoad fights if you're Wolfgang, and for misery regardless of character tbh.

how good is it tho (against toadstool that is)should one prioritize getting a milkmade hat for toadstool?or is the kind of situation where you coincidentally have all the materials for the milkmade hat and make one for the fight?    

BeeClops    680
1 minute ago, stranger again said:

how good is it tho (against toadstool that is)should one prioritize getting a milkmade hat for toadstool?or is the kind of situation where you coincidentally have all the materials for the milkmade hat and make one for the fight?    

Well you never coincidentally have materials for it and it's no way a priority if you want to do toad fast, but it's just very convenient to use once you have them made.

Muzarello    287
3 hours ago, sinisterrkid said:

Changing the settings in world generation to Branches: Never; Loops: Always, will generate a "donut" world, and Crab King will usually spawn in the inner circle, making it way easier to find in the very early game. (Super niche tip, but there you go.)

I always do this, never got him in the middle, but Pearl spawned in the middle in my +1000 days world, That's kinda nice, visiting gramma in the middle of the world

• Like 2

sinisterrkid    1580
2 minutes ago, Muzarello said:

I always do this, never got him in the middle, but Pearl spawned in the middle in my +1000 days world, That's kinda nice, visiting gramma in the middle of the world

I also set my world size to small (it's really almost the same size as default), so maybe it has something to do with that.

Or it's just that I've been getting lucky. Thanks for the input!

I really wanted Pearl in the middle sea, too, still haven't got it

• Like 1

QuartzBeam    2767
3 hours ago, sinisterrkid said:

You can maximize how many feathers Malbatross drops by fighting it with an Ocean Rod, since it's the item that deals the least damage (so requires most hits), and Malbatross drops feathers per hit, not per damage.

A Weather Pain or two is way more practical though. I've been consistently getting 80+ feathers that way, which is more than enough for 2 winged sails.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Bluepufferfish    268
22 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

A Weather Pain or two is way more practical though. I've been consistently getting 80+ feathers that way, which is more than enough for 2 winged sails.

I completely agree. I was setting up a malbatross feather farm with flingos/star caller staff and Walter's poop ammo (0 damage + still obtain feathers) but I realized that just using 4 weather pains is less hassle for something I really wont need to farm for most of the time. Plus deconstruction staff and construction amulet exist, so there's much more efficient options. 

QuartzBeam    2767
7 minutes ago, Bluepufferfish said:

I completely agree. I was setting up a malbatross feather farm with flingos/star caller staff and Walter's poop ammo (0 damage + still obtain feathers) but I realized that just using 4 weather pains is less hassle for something I really wont need to farm for most of the time. Plus deconstruction staff and construction amulet exist, so there's much more efficient options. 

Yeah, if you do the weather pain strat once, you typically never need to farm malbatross feathers again. I do like to farm for the malbatross beak though.

I've made a dummy boat (tin fishin bin, lightning rod, anchor) about 1-1.5 screens away from the nearest malbatross shoal to do that. I use my fast main boat to get to it, then hop over and paddle my way to the shoal. I fish for deep bass until its depleted, which makes a pretty easy source of fish meat (and works great with my barnacle farm for making surf n turf), and if I'm lucky, I get to facetank the Malbatross for a beak and some extra feathers.

• Like 1

thegreatJash    903

Woodie's WereMoose form is actually pretty good for chopping down Toadstool's shrooms that he spawns, it just takes two charges. (It's also pretty good for gathering resources, like rocks and logs, but that's not boss related.)

ryvrdrgn14    188
7 hours ago, Bird Up said:

ever since marble suit's recipe was buffed, it's been really good for people who cannot kite. 

One of the first things I do in a new world is turn all my marble to beans and plant them. This ensures an adequate amount of marble suits when I need them. It's pretty easy to get 18-30 shrubs planted.

Dark Wun    8
On 11/16/2020 at 1:07 PM, sinisterrkid said:

If you don't have a pan flute for whatever reason, you can get Dragonfly out of enraged mode by throwing water balloons at her.

Neat, I didn't know this one. I tried this and counted 5 waterballoons to un-enrage her.

The ice staff used to be a viable option and I think took 3-4 hits several patches ago. Now I believe it's 8-10 hits.

One charge of Wicker's sleepytime stories also works and is probably the next best option to the pan flute.

• Like 1

BeeClops    680
58 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

i bet that nobody usually uses TOTC on FW
P.S.: remember that TOTC now uses 1 tentacle spot instead of 3 after the last QoL Update, so it's more relevant rn.

There should be a thread just for that item, it's no niche. Totally forgot about it on FW, it's awesome.

Edited by BeeClops

gaymime    4135
6 hours ago, Duck986 said:

i bet that nobody usually uses TOTC on FW
P.S.: remember that TOTC now uses 1 tentacle spot instead of 3 after the last QoL Update, so it's more relevant rn.

welp, i once asked a guy what item he'd most want for a fuel weaver fight and he said it would be the cat, i had no idea why he chose that answer but i totally see why now and kind of want to make one myself XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1