Wardin25

Wormwood is a beginner friendly character, change my mind

Wardin25    1005

Wormwoods upsides relay in easy food farming and an ability to easily control your sanity by chopping or planting plant and his downside is not being able to heal from foods

Mast beginners have trouble avoiding starvation and are scared of insanity, so wormwood can help them with that, and unless they have watched a cooking guide, they wont know any recipe for healing, or probably wont even have the ingredients to make them, so until they get more experienced they wont have to learn anything but meatballs/meaty stew and just use honey pultices and healing salves

either that or im just saying nonsense

• Like 1

Slagger    1395
1 hour ago, Wardin25 said:

Wormwoods upsides relay in easy food farming and an ability to easily control your sanity by chopping or planting plant and his downside is not being able to heal from foods

Mast beginners have trouble avoiding starvation and are scared of insanity, so wormwood can help them with that, and unless they have watched a cooking guide, they wont know any recipe for healing, or probably wont even have the ingredients to make them, so until they get more experienced they wont have to learn anything but meatballs/meaty stew and just use honey pultices and healing salves

either that or im just saying nonsense

Wormwood is perfect, character but not exactly for beginners. Maybe not worst one but not best one too. A person who cant cook, can't think the things you say. I teached this game to my big brother and my cousin. The mistakes they make is almost same. Most of them sucks at sanity and staying sane is hard for them. They can't just re-plant bc they will think it's boring or hard to do. Also new players don't make shovel (one of the most important thing) usually. They prefer to eat and wander around. Also all of the new players prefer to fight with something and prefer to get meat from pigs/beefalos instead of trap spider method. I just mean they don't like automation, they want to explore and fight. They just don't know kiting creatures and health will be problem for them. Also I didn't see anyone have problem about cooking. I just tell them 3 bery and 1 meat for belly, 1 meat 1 egg two different plant for health.

So I think the best character for news is

-Walter (for exploring, easy food and sanity buff)

-Woodie (for gathering resources fast and funny)

-WX-78 (having a good health to tank)

-Winona (Wilson with tapes)

Maybe my brother and cousin is really aggressive types, that's why I don't agree with you :D 

But wormwood is not dangerous to play for news.

• Like 3

Wardin25    1005
5 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Most new players I've met have a hard time making those unless someone else provides the materials. I've seen players with 100+ hours not even knowing how to make them, and usually they will take more health damage killing the spiders, than the one they'd restore from making the salve.

Their recipes are at the top of the survival tab, are you serious????

• Like 1

ArubaroBeefalo    5913

I mean, if by beguinner we talk about a player that avoids combat and doesnt know healing recipes so he only uses tents and gland potions, then yeah, every character has a similar difficulty with that little player knowledge

But if we talk about a unexpecience player but that has more than 1 hour of played time then he will suffer with wormwood because how hard will be healing after too much face tank (we are taking in count that, aa noob, he will not kite)

Wormwood becomes difficult in the right moment the player wants to fight

5 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

So what, there is hundreds of recipes. Is normal that a noob miss 90% of them

13 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Walter (for exploring, easy food and sanity buff

Losing huge amounts of sanity from tipical free hits that noobs receive isnt noobfriendly imo

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

Well. the only reason i knew those healing items even existed was because of a video i watched like 10 months ago

Also those 2 that you talked about can be somewhat hard for a new player to get

Honey poultice requires a bee farm and some silk,which most new players die to spiders imediately very frequently because they dint know that they can be stunlocked easilly or just do the small brain play of hitting the nest when is level 2 and get destroyed by a warrior spider

cant blame them i did the same

• Thanks 1

Wardin25    1005
12 minutes ago, Slagger said:

-Walter (for exploring, easy food and sanity buff)

-WX-78 (having a good health to tank)

-Winona (Wilson with tapes)

Im not sure if these are exactly, begginer friendly, for some reason every new guy is attracted to walter and goes insane because they try to tank somthing instead of using the ranged option (I've literally never seen someone use Walter's slingshot (I'm not kiddig)) 

Wx-78 is a level up character, so the has health to tank isnt really a good point, as on the surface usually get around 6 gears (Once I was in a full server and no one had found gears, so I had to go to the ruins to get ONE gear) which isnt enough to get a big healthpool (I think, dont know how much life that gives you) and if the guy is on a group, it wont let the wx eat the gears

Honestly, Winona may be good, but I have 1600 hours and I still die of starvation playing as her, you usually craft a lot in early game so you have to be constantly looking for food

1 minute ago, Stunp the tunp said:

Honey poultice requires a bee farm and some silk,which most new players die to spiders imediately very frequently because they dint know that they can be stunlocked easilly or just do the small brain play of hitting the nest when is level 2 and get destroyed by a warrior spider

I cant argue with that, but youll likely encounter a Wendy you can ask to help you out with spider and bees.

also, you dont really need a bee farm, with killing some bee nests youll do fine

• Like 1

Superlucas1231    1348

Wormwood really isn't that good for new players tbh. 

He's only limited to 3 healing options if he's playing solo (glands/salves, honey pol, and tents), and 2 of those healing options requires him to fight spiders (which can drain more hp). Honey pol requires him to visit the swamp and make a honey farm, both of which put him in  more danger of getting hit either by bees or tentacles.  Considering newer players aren't really good at fighting, i doubt hp management would be easy for them

Wormwood might gain sanity from plaiting seeds, but he also loses sanity from chopping trees down. Unless the new player is spam planting, they will still have a harder time managing sanity. Not to mention that insanity is more deadly to them, since they have limited healing options.

Restoring hunger as Wormwood is slightly more easier, sure, but the biggest reason why I don't think he's that good for new comers is how badly he does during winter. Most of his perks are useless in winter, he loses access to honey and reeds during winter, and all of his stats become much more harder to manage. Considering how most new players struggle with winter, i doubt they would want to play as a character who has the one of the biggest nerfs to their character during winter. 

• Like 1

Mike23Ua    8358

Okay mind changed: Most Characters INCLUDING Wurt but with the exception of Wigfrid, can eat Cooked Seeds dropped from random birds for slow health gain- it’s not much health gain but remember.. your a total noob and don’t know any better ways.

Secondly- All characters except Wigfrid can eat straight up butterflies for a nice boost in food & health points in a pinch.

most noobs also run around picking flowers in a panic to raise their Sanity even if it’s not low enough to be a threat yet, try doing that as Wormwood and the end results won’t be pretty.

Wormwood is most defiantly NOT a beginner friendly character, because beginners can survive off butterflies alone.

And remember- your still a total beginner so any form of advanced gameplay like fighting raid bosses or rushing ruins content is completely out of the question: right Now your just trying to explore the surface (& maybe the caves) of hostile randomly generated worlds that hate you & want you to die.

Wormwoods inability to heal from eating seeds or butterflies has a larger impact on Newbie players then you might think.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 2

Wardin25    1005
3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay mind changed: Most Characters INCLUDING Wurt but with the exception of Wigfrid, can eat Cooked Seeds dropped from random birds for slow health gain- it’s not much health gain but remember.. your a total noob and don’t know any better ways.

Cooked seeds heal 1 health, and I've had to explain friends how to kill a butterfly cause they kept running away from them

• Haha 1

Mike23Ua    8358

Yes 1 health, but then.. look at how many seeds random birds drop constantly.

I think a good many of these forum veterans would start dying all over again if more characters shared wormwoods “can’t heal by eating anything.” Downside-

In fact I would absolutely LOVE that option when playing as Wendy, Some people like a character because they’re drawn to their appearance, their available skins, the sound of their instrument voice, their in-game quotes, Etc.. just because I like to play as Wendy the most does not mean that I don’t enjoy the challenges of other characters- that I can only WISH I could apply to her.

Yes there are mods & the “create your own character” but your missing my point: Wendy can go idle for a long time with Abigail on Riled up mode and provided she doesn’t die to hounds/darkness you can come back to a nice little field of dead butterflies to eat for instant full food and health recovery from dying.

Also your assuming that Wormwood players not in the same server with a fire starting Willow who burns forests down for fun, a maniacal woodie who chops everything in sight because lol’s I got talking axe with infinite durability, or a Maxwell who’s minions chop those trees while Maxwell stands idly by.

All of which will be hurting that Wormwoods Sanity- the one danger in DS that all noobs struggle most with.

Wormwoods only REAL claim to fame is that he is the only character who can eat red cap & gain hunger back from that without also suffering the health lose penalty.

GetNerfedOn    6449

Considering the original statements carefully i'm inclined to disagree due to reasons already mentioned. Apart from wormwood only being able to heal with items that certainly take longer to use than the time it takes to chow on a pierogi, or even trail mix, not to mention harder to gain as aforementioned, the time beginners will spend playing wormwood will eventually boil down to focusing solely on recovering health (most especially if they're using tent) which leaves their hands full and less likely to deal with other threats like starvation, seasonal threats, hounds, etc, and discourages them from learning recipes which eventually won;t be as useful to them without the health gain.

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 3

Slagger    1395
2 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

Text

Yeah maybe but IMO they are easier to play than Wormwood. Also I just forgot Wendy. She is great for starters (She was my old main).

bruhmoment23    6753

He sure is, until the new player discovers that worm can't heal from foods. Also he's sort of behind a pay/spool wall so most "beginners" won't even know he exists unless they see somebody play as him on the same server.

Edited by bruhmoment23
  • Like 1

ArubaroBeefalo    5913
1 hour ago, Wardin25 said:

Cooked seeds heal 1 health, and I've had to explain friends how to kill a butterfly cause they kept running away from them

one time i survived eating light bulbs xD

op healing

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 1

GenomeSquirrel    924

I’d agree, Wormwood doesn’t run out of hunger or sanity, and new players avoid combat. They’ll have problems with deerclops, but I don’t see any new player not losing that fight.

• Haha 1

Mike23Ua    8358
1 minute ago, Ranger08 said:

beginners too busy playing walter. I swear 90% of beginners see walters portrait and are like "oooo dog I like dog let me pick dog!"

To be fair they probably pick Walter because he’s free, he comes with his very own 9 additional storage slot carrying dog, and he has a nifty slingshot that easily gets food for him.

Pretty sure even a noob can figure out Slingshot+Rocks+Landing Bird= Don’t Starve.

Walters downside of constant sanity drain when not at full health is punishing to newer players, sure.. but they also made sure he has a plethora of gimmicky ways to raise that Sanity back up, outside of traditional ways.. he can A:Stand inside a forest full of Trees, B: Wear his nifty hat, C: Tell Stories by a Campfire or D: Use his portable tent.

All of which just to me seems like ways to take that interesting downside and then also nullify it completely.

Outside of the tent and the hat: Playing as Walter does not teach them anything valuable they can use when they choose to play as a different character, 

Telling Campfire Stories and Gaining Sanity while standing in a Bunch of trees are really gimmicky Walter exclusive ways to regain sanity, so they don’t do anything... except maybe make Walter as a character feel more like a forest scout & give him some fairly passive ways of restoring sanity beyond the traditional ways you would use normally.

but neither of those things is knowledge you will learn while playing as Walter that you can then use when you select to play as someone else other than Walter.

When you play Wurt you learn the importance of Followers & Vegetables, when you play Wendy you learn the importance of Inventory Management and how to maintain Sanity, when you play Wormwood you learn the importance of healing using the healing tab instead of just munching food, when you play Wigfrid you learn the importance of Spears & Helmets & how to survive without Veggies when you play Willow you learn things like how to Manage and Manipulate your Sanity through the process of several cooked/uncooked versions of food. Woodie will teach players the importance behind Starvation- they each have a take away that can be applied when you play as someone else...

But WALTER- he has some exclusive to himself perks and if a newbie thought they could regain sanity as a non-Walter by standing in a forest or telling campfire stories, that could potentially be a deadly mistake for them.

• Like 1

Well-met    4337
1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

when you play Wendy you learn the importance of Inventory Management and how to maintain Sanity

sounds like you couldn't come up with actual downsides for wendy because she is easy mode.

Edited by Well-met
  • Haha 3

Wardin25    1005
4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

When you play Wurt you learn the importance of Followers & Vegetables, when you play Wendy you learn the importance of Inventory Management and how to maintain Sanity, when you play Wormwood you learn the importance of healing using the healing tab instead of just munching food, when you play Wigfrid you learn the importance of Spears & Helmets & how to survive without Veggies when you play Willow you learn things like how to Manage and Manipulate your Sanity through the process of several cooked/uncooked versions of food. Woodie will teach players the importance behind Starvation- they each have a take away that can be applied when you play as someone else...

The prophecies foretold that one person would dominate all the skills and arts neccesary to see beyond the mortal plane and face Them, finally bringing peace to this land of war and blood

• Haha 1

Mike23Ua    8358
27 minutes ago, Well-met said:

sounds like you couldn't come up with actual downsides for wendy because she is that much unbalanced.

That’s not true it’s a legit downside for Wendy now to carry ashes, flower petals, mourning glory, Ectoherbology and Abigails flower that is at the very least 5 items in her inventory slots.

Also I don’t see Wendy as anymore OP then Willow who has a 2000hp beast (10,000 if I have a single sewing kit)

Your just angry cause Wendy is in a good place right now, it’s okay vent & let all that out.. but you can’t lie and say she doesn’t carry a lot of extra items in her inventory now either.

Spoiler

Her REAL downside actually comes into play when insane, or down in caves where shadows spawn.. Abigail won’t help at all here, she stands idly by watching Wendy Die, And because Abigails petal Bestowment buff isn’t being applied- Wendy’s Hits weaker then average downside is in full effect.

It may not seem like a downside to YOU, but it’s a Downside all the same.

Wormwood teaches new players The importance behind healing without relying on food & restoring sanity without relying on plucking flowers.

Not hard downsides once you learn of all the various ways to counter them.

I guess the only OTHER downside Wormwood might have is how much bee’s love him :razz: But other then that, he’s pretty good- Good.. but not noob friendly.

Edited by Mike23Ua

Wardin25    1005
1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I guess the only OTHER downside Wormwood might have is how much bee’s love him :razz: But other then that, he’s pretty good- Good.. but not noob friendly.

to be fair, in spring bees are douches to everyone, they just hate wormwood further

• Haha 1