Szczuku

What does the community think of the state of dst?

viberr    911

to me it really depends on my mood when it comes to difficulty so ill take whatever they can make the game harder and i will be okay with it they can also make it easier and ill be okay with it  

but what do i think of the state of dst?well the answer is simple its great.now personally im pretty new to dst (got it last year during December)so my opinion could for sure be different to a person whos been playing dst for longer than i but in my opinion dst is great its always nice to come back every month for a new update which will bring me some fun and enjoyment. the gameplay is simple yet really fun. the characters (who have been reworked)all feel unique and different from each other and generally the game is just fun 

thats all i really got to say hope you all have a wonderful day or night based on wherever you are in the world 

k bye

Mike23Ua    8364

I think there’s still a ton of things Klei plans to do with DST, when you look at it on paper DST is Klei’s version of Minecraft, Rainbow Siege or GTA Online- AKA Games that just continue to get updates for years and years and years rather then just releasing a whole new sequel.

Return of Them is what they’re Currently working on, which features RoT content, and alongside that Character Reworks, and alongside that QoL updates if need be.

CURRENTLY we Know the rest of Klei’s content plans for 2020/January 2021.

Were getting another “Big” Return of Them update in beta branch this Month, as well as that updates full release alongside Wintersfeast in December, after that in January we get Year of the Beefalo- Klei will then take a well deserved holiday break from creating content then (hopefully) go back to regularly planned content schedule.

I think considering how Covid-19 completely wrecked the entire world and colossally caused the gaming industry as a whole to have complications & delays- The content Klei has been putting out has been SuperB in light of all those complications.

But things like Elevated plots of land, harder difficulty modes, Archipelago style world generation, SW/Ham content compatibility, Gorge/Forge return, All of that is stuff that COULD be in their pipeline but isn’t the current focus right now.

Dont forget they’ve heavily hinted they want DST to be Cross-Platform capable, which that alone would be pretty huge in extending the amount of rooms you can find to join at any given time.

As an Xbox One player I can confirm that after most the kiddies go to bed our servers hit staggering lows of only 4-6 at night. During the day there can be 40-70 But that’s JUST Xbox One.

Making the game Cross-Play means that hopefully I can find more rooms to join after all the kids on Xbox Live have gone sleepy night night.

So that is a BIG Feature Klei teases often that I want to see happen.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 2

ZeeDragon    2245

It's fine as it is. I don't have an opinion, one of the biggest reasons a good chunk of people miss when they make suggestions is that other people have different playstyles than them and therefore a varying view on something in the game. Another thing thing is that there's also people on places like Steam, Xbox, and Playstation. The people in those places have their own opinions as well. Or sometimes they're not very focused on it, or sometimes it may fit into the game it ones eyes but not in Klei's. 

So, I dunno. I just wanna kick back and see how it goes. If it happens, it happens.

• Like 1

I wish that Kiel was focused on getting things focused on something instead of these one thing updates that leave people who have game burn out going: Oh cool but this feeling will only last a day until I feel burned out again, what is a reason to come back to the same unaccomplished feeling of being forever in a state of being unable to get to a point where you can feel proud about how much work you've done. :concern: You feel a lack of accomplishment after days of playing the same thing over and over and crave something intresting to happen! Why not be ABLE to BE IN the war between either the Moon or the Grue/THEM, like how the Celestial altars = Mysterious Energy  why not something that is like the opposite where you can JOIN the Grue to fight the moon? And each have advantages and disadvantages to make it feel balanced but super fun!  (Am I the Only one who wishes to see what that could be like?!) :rolleyes:  

Dr. Safety    4160

I think it's fine. I'd personally prefer them to focus more on character refreshes before venturing further in game content, but I'm the minority for that so I'm absolutely fine with what they have been doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Szczuku    14685
1 hour ago, ADM said:

Maybe we could be more helpful to improve the game if we had the major axes of these updates in advance

Do you mean like the knowledge of the update months before it's released? I don't think that's possible.

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

Mike23Ua    8364

I think the most important factor here is that we should all just give Klei time, no one in 2017 (I think that’s when I bought DST) would have ever been able to predict that two years later the cardboard cut out purely cosmetic ocean would become its own living breathing sailable thing.

For people to sit & say Ideas like Elevated foundations of land will Never happen, Is a direct Insult to the things we thought would never happen, & Klei went & did anyway.

• Like 1

ADM    6983
10 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Do you mean like the knowledge of the update months before it's released? I don't think that's possible.

It could, right ? I'm only talking about quality of life updates and before the development starts, so we can discuss, maybe vote then plan what could be better... sure it's a lot to ask for but that could avoid possible mistakes we often see during 1-2 weeks of beta testing once almost everything if finished

Mike23Ua    8364

How to change Meta: Play with random Season Start Times & Random Season lengths- When you wind up fighting Deerclops or a Bearger for the 16th consecutive time in less then a 40 day span.. you’ll Wish for one of two things-

Bosses to have adjustable health sliders because if they have to be that damn frequent they have to be easier to deal with- OR you’ll just turn them off completely and ignore their existence which is what I do when I play under Random Season & Season Length.

Otherwise you WILL fight these bosses to the point you groan and get sick of hearing so much as their announcement sounds.

When I hear the Meta of DST hasn’t changed I laugh my butt off at that thought- Willow became the self designated best nightmare fuel farming source in the entire game.. How is that Meta NOT changed?

oh wait- Pick Willow = Ban cause I’m scared of her super Spooky lighter, I guess that makes sense.

My POINT is that there’s been wide sweeping changes to DST that you may not see it, but definitely DO change the way people play.

Edited by Mike23Ua

ryvrdrgn14    188

What I would like is a lag prediction model that isn't detrimental to the player.  If lag prediction is only 100% client side that just screws up anyone using it. Being the early game queen of resources that is Wendy is great, but I'd like to play other characters too and not feel like I chopped my left arm off.

Edited by ryvrdrgn14
  • Like 1

Scrimbles    3835
58 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

Sinkholes occur throughout the summer though, while DFly only spawns at the end of summer. Sure, DFly is a lot more of a threat to a whole base, but getting sinkholes as early as 7-8 days with little warning time can do disasters things to new players.

For NEW players only, anyone who has experienced sinkholes for the first time can simply walk out of base for a few seconds, and the problem is over. Compared to the Dragonfly, who is a huge destructive force and the hardest giant in the game.

59 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

Caves: You carried one additional inventory slot with you, and did one of the two methods: Either hold a thermal stone and swap it in an icebox (which at that point, you can spare a gear to prebuild an icebox) once a day, or use a luxury fan once a day. Keep in mind you also had tier 3 insulation against heat the entire time. Dealing with summer heat in caves was a 10-20 second inconvenience per day at best. This applied to winter too, which DST lacks insulation for (in fact, it even rains down there frequently as well)

DS also has the advantage of basically making anywhere be wildfire proof via the magic conch or dribble pipes. Or if you really want to stay in one world, a telelocator staff is much more consistent for rain in DS then it is in DST.

The fact is you still have to prep for the problem, and if you decided to delay that prep or take certain risks, you can put yourself in a situation where you will suffer hard.

Now there's just no need.

Also, you're talking about making areas fire proof by using two items that come from a DLC, or having to use up a purple gem and staff charge just to temporarily delay wildfires, both of which still take effort, are temporary, and are outclassed by sitting in a biome and avoiding the problem with no effort.

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

Sandstorms: It's a single biome. If that biome happens to be very small or in an suboptimal location (I have a meteor field next to mine, for instance) you cannot do anything about it. I would much rather go into the caves if I want to escape the summer wildfires, the same as I did in DS.

Assuming its anywhere near a decent location it is worth basing in an Oasis, and like you said, if not, you just go into caves.

Where you then don't have to bother combating over heating anyways.

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

I really don't like more content that you must interact with, especially in DS/T where you will just use the easiest method to deal with it. For instance, when Hamlet added the aporkalypse clock, it's far easier after the first time to just build 2 focuses and manually reset the clock to right after the aporkalypse ends, so it just turns into something you need to deal with after 8 hours, and all it takes is a minute of downtime, 6 purple gems (in Hamlet, no less...), 40% of a staff, and 100 sanity.

I already get annoyed with hound attacks being something forced and inconsistent (ranging from 3-7 days is a significant timeframe of unpredictability), and unless the new content has a unique way of sufficing something or has a highly unique gimmick I don't think it will be tolerated well at all.

Winter, Spring, Summer, Deerclops, Gmoose, Dragonfly, Bearger, Lureplants, Hounds, Hunger, Sanity, these are all things you are forced to prepare and interact with.

Don't Starve is BUILT upon these threats to survival. I fail to see why people have just stopped caring about the content that MAKES Don't Starve the game it is.

I fail to see any of the logic in the arguments above, you are pointing out that yes, the threats aren't as much of a problem in Don't Starve Together as they are in Don't Starve. And also that you don't like the Aporkalypse.

And of course people are liking your post because its a bunch of people who recognize me and are okay with the game no matter where its headed, because they don't care.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

I think it's fine. I'd personally prefer them to focus more on character refreshes before venturing further in game content, but I'm the minority for that so I'm absolutely fine with what they have been doing.

I kind of agree with you but the problem is I feel like had they done this people would have began to hound them for new content in the world.

But I'm pretty happy with how things have been going with DST, admittedly I was bummed when the focus of RoT became more about the ocean than the lunar stuff, but I know they couldn't have left the ocean empty, so I don't fault them too much for that. I'm hoping as we seemingly reach the climax of RoT that will see more Lunar content.

ShyRo-Zyerenzy    171

I like the game just like this. It lets you plan ahead and take "routes" when killing Bosses and then starting to base build. Just to make the resources farm easier and stacking items to keep building the base in a desired area. After that you start working in little projects while also not forgetting to farm the bosses like a schedule. It really has a perfect balance and i like the devs understand that. New biomes that need puzzles to interact and solve stuff was a great idea with the last addition. 
Maybe the axis thing its in standby but besides that.. i trust Klei direction of the game.