Let's talk about Walter's design inconsistency.

The cinematics in this game tend to change the overall "looks" of characters, simply because of the artstyle difference.

But even with the drastic artstyle changes, you still see the characters looking like themselves....

But one of the character doesn't, in my opinion of courseimage.thumb.png.cc849cd4b41573e3b0985c34b7aaa2fb.png

Walter's cinematic showed us his design way before we could see his ingame look, and might I say.... Something as simple as angles can really screw up a character's core design.

The sheer fact that Klei changed his entire facial/skull anatomy by changing the directions of the lines that frame the 2 sides of his face.... Is really something.

It makes his eyes look like they're too close to the ends of his face, and makes his jaw look wider than it is. To me this difference just makes him look extremely different.

I wanna hear your opinions on this? Is it actually noticable, or should I go to bed?

Just now, Lumberlocke said:

and now I'm noticing the two entirely different hair styles. From the side by side comparison they almost look like entirely different characters. Walter's in-game appearance looks so much younger than his animated short counterpart. :distant:

Oh gosh, yeah the hair as well, and now that you mention it, he DOES look like he's of a different age....

I didn't really notice it until ya pointed it out, but it's the same thing with that weird bit of hair on the back of Wilson's neck. It shows up in cinematics but not in-game. It's not too big of a deal, just a goof up in most cases. Or just how a artists cinematic design of the characters is slightly different than others. Nothing to worry about.

1 minute ago, ZeeDragon said:

I didn't really notice it until ya pointed it out, but it's the same thing with that weird bit of hair on the back of Wilson's neck. It shows up in cinematics but not in-game. It's not too big of a deal, just a goof up in most cases. Or just how a artists cinematic design of the characters is slightly different than others. Nothing to worry about.

See hairstyle is one thing, but this is his bone structure in terms on anatomy.

Changing the lines of someone's bone frame is equal to sawing down their jaw/skull.

It's bothersome because it isn't just some lines ON his face, it's lines that FRAME his face, giving him a look of a different person. If you saw his hairless silhouette, or even WITH the hair, it'd be really weird.

I think walter looks better in the cinematic. I also really cant get over the missing eyebrow on the ingame walter it looks so weird especially when he blinks and the missing eyebrow suddenly appears for a split second to then glitch out again. Looks really buggy 

i much prefer the in-game look of him. his softer rounder appearance overall is more inviting and makes him look more aesthetically appealing. in the game he is a soft wee lad who looks as young and immature as his lines express him to be. it sells him as a small child who doesnt understand the danger he is in expressly by _being_ a small child. in his animatic he looks older than wendy which is super weird since he speaks like he is close to her age(that he looks near the same age in the game is for the best

also the whole thing with survivors having virtually no neck isnt really as maintainable with the animation build

This really isn't anything about Walter, character designs just vary a lot across different places. Lots of characters' sprites and portraits already look vastly different from each other (see SW characters, DST Warly, Wheeler, magmatic skins, etc), but some characters will even take on a different appearance between individual pieces of promo material, especially in trailers. Feels like Wilson's hands switch between white and black in every single trailer.

Except in the first picture he's looking down. So his head shape is exactly how everyone would draw a character from below while they are looking behind/next to the camera. Take any different shot from the trailer and his head is fine. 

Besides, characters had differences in design between game and cinematics for ages, and Walter is one of the less noticeable ones. The obvious example being Woodie. I don't think the changes you mention matter that much. 

Screenshot_20201102-093205.png

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I just wish I had a chin even a quarter as magnificent as his. It's been keeping me up at night, I feel very emasculated.

Be happy with what you have. Some people can't afford chins at all. Their top jaw just... ends.

17 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

The cinematics in this game tend to change the overall "looks" of characters, simply because of the artstyle difference.

But even with the drastic artstyle changes, you still see the characters looking like themselves....

But one of the character doesn't, in my opinion of courseimage.thumb.png.cc849cd4b41573e3b0985c34b7aaa2fb.png

Walter's cinematic showed us his design way before we could see his ingame look, and might I say.... Something as simple as angles can really screw up a character's core design.

The sheer fact that Klei changed his entire facial/skull anatomy by changing the directions of the lines that frame the 2 sides of his face.... Is really something.

It makes his eyes look like they're too close to the ends of his face, and makes his jaw look wider than it is. To me this difference just makes him look extremely different.

I wanna hear your opinions on this? Is it actually noticable, or should I go to bed?

I don't think this is nearly as bad as Woodie who's character select splash art has a completely different hairstyle and an eye style similar to Wilson and Winona rather than Wendy and Willow. His cinematic design looks like a weird mash between his in-game sprite and the character select art. It's so bizarre because in every other cinematic Woodie has been in they've used his in-game sprite as the base for his look but then when his actual cinematic comes around he looks totally different!

Archived