Recommended Posts

OrdoXenos    100

Good afternoon everyone.

I've seen a lot of oddly balanced pvp games, but starve has surpassed them all.

I used to watch pvp videos on this game - it looks very creepy. You run stupidly, so the animation of someone else's auto attack does not have time to catch up with you. Either the dudes just freeze them, or they kill them with a pan-flute.

And if you touch on the issue of balance.. Then it will be a kilometer wide.

What pisses me off the most about dst? The fact is that here some characters have clear advantages in pvp, while others are just farmers who have nothing to do with pvp.

Willow is a character clearly modeled after Annie from the League of Legends. So give her the appropriate skills Tibbers bear, skillset, the ability to throw large massive splashes with a staff of fire.. :D Аnd not a lighter and protection from fire.. Damned Khaleesi, who not burned and no more - i ts useless sure..


I believe that we just need a full-fledged mode like the Forge arena, where the characters will have full-fledged pvp items, features and balance between them.

And give dat Willow Tibbers who will kill all and everywhere.. Sure.. Why play Willow at all when you have Wendy and Wolfgang?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chirsg    443

I think what would salvage pvp would be a different game mode altogether. The way I see it, pvp as a mode is just to have it available for anyone who wonders how it would play like, which would be the players who pick up the game for a few weeks which is the majority of the player base.

For something really deep and balanced, the execution ceiling was never made for pvp. Even pve is relatively barebones and mostly reliant on prep.

Again, pvp would need it's own separate game mode. I'd suppose something like a forge mod and even then, it would need some work.

I think anyone who plays pvp would know the very nature of the mode and whether or not they want to go forward with it which is not often. But who knows, perhaps people play it to RP. It doesn't always need to be a competitive aspect

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beanboy12    96
29 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

Don't Starve Together is not a PvP game, it is very much PvE balanced.

Honestly I'd take DST PvP about as seriously as Terraria PvP(AKA the "ban any item that is any good" simulator)

bans bone armor "yea that makes sense"

bans every armor except grass suit "uuuuuuuh? what?"

bans every weapon except shovel "why? this isn't a weapon! Its a tool!"

Wes comes in with full thulecite gear "I'm the mod lol and you arent being very nice"

you are banned from this server

  • Haha 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    3849

In my opinion the "pvp option" plays great even in coop. You can punch your friends to unfreeze them or wake them up from a sleep.

deathmatch in DST was added in as an extra. it isn't a very important factor to focus on considering it goes against every core design of the game.

Edited by Well-met
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ADM    6204

I think PvP players just need mods, and lucky for you there's hundred of them to balance your PvP servers. I played vanilla PvP a while ago with friends and I really liked it, this game has such spicy weapons and tools to make great combat mechanism against other players, only issue is the balance between them and again I don't think anything will be changed for PvP, just use mods.

  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    4788
6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

In my opinion the "pvp option" plays great even in coop. You can punch your friends to unfreeze them or wake them up from a sleep.

deathmatch in DST was added in as an extra. it isn't a very important factor to focus on considering it goes against every core design of the game.

And teleporting them with telelocator staff

 

I like having pvp option but i dont want the game being balanced arround it. I would like that balance doenst take pvp in count in any term

2 minutes ago, ADM said:

I think PvP players just need mods, and lucky for you there's hundred of them to balance your PvP servers. I played vanilla PvP a while ago with friends and I really liked it, this game has such spicy weapons and tools to make great combat mechanism against other players, only issue is the balance between them and again I don't think anything will be changed for PvP, just use mods.

The problem is that there is no pvp map

1 pick wortox, covers the entore map, picks pan flaute and win in day 6.

I think a separate island spawn for each player will be so fun. Each player will need to learn magic and weapons recipes and make a boat to pick resources or to scavenge other players islands like pirates

  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The characters have not been designed for PVP, at all. Most of the characters just came over from singleplayer DS, and DST was designed to be a co-op game, not centered around PvP. 

It'd be kinda neat to have the option but it's not really important.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    7702

Look I just want a Mini-Game that can be engaged within while playing PVE that Activates PvP- Borderlands way back in 2009 had this coop game- but slap a friend, they slap back THE WAR IS ON

For DST... I would like to be able to load up an area exclusive just for it- For example maybe being able to give the pig king an item and then anyone in vicinity of PK during giving him this item will be teleported to a circular arena surrounded by lava where your character powers are all disabled- everyone basically becomes WES and your character choice only determines the skin your using. In addition to that: The only weapon allowed is a giant wooden sign where the goal is to smack all other players off the platform into the lava.

Its PVP, BALANCED PVP but it’s PVP that can be activated from PVE mode.. which- Would be a fun little side distraction from the core experience of the game.

They could even change PVP to host these Gauntlet type servers where you engage in multiple rounds of trying to be the last one standing..

(please look up games like Big Crown Showdown, or Marooners)

If your expecting PVP servers in their CURRENT form to ever be fair or balanced... then I hate to say this friend but your playing the wrong game I’m afraid.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    3849
1 hour ago, ZeeDragon said:

(P.S What's the double O for?)

It's an old fashioned emoji O_o

it's a face with big eyes

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BezKa    493

I think PVP was introduced as an option for harder gameplay (imagine actually fighting with a swarm of dogs. If you hit your fellow survivor it can cost them their life) and was meant more like an additional difficulty setting for friends or the simple risk of meeting someone rude in pub (you could meet good and evil people alike in life)

The game is about survival and it's name clearly suggests it's a cooperative game. The original player limit and balance of characters shows that this game is best suited for a small group of friends. 

But there would always be people who want to kill eachother, and there would be people who simply want to know what it would work like if the players weren't protected by code from panflutes and other stuff. I know noone who actually wants to play PVP DST. It simply doesn't fit the original idea, and making all the character so clearly so they can work together can't be exactly balanced to be equal danger to eachother. That's two completely different gameplays and with how complicated the characters are it's impossible to achieve both. 

The idea to have a separate gamestyle for PVP exclusively sounds good in theory but it would be just wasted time since it's like creating a whole other game where you have to change character's perks and downsides so they can fight. And again, not that many people want to fight eachother in don't starve. 

I don't know what your point with Willow is, she wasn't made after any other character from competitive game, she was made as a character safe from darkness but more easy to kill in winter. All these suggestions you have have nothing to do with her original character design. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bird Up    1965

pvp isnt intended to be balance. its just there for something fun to do with your friends. 

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Starlogy    3023
6 hours ago, OrdoXenos said:

I've seen a lot of oddly balanced pvp games, but starve has surpassed them all.

But this isn't a PvP game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wardin25    669
2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

For DST... I would like to be able to load up an area exclusive just for it- For example maybe being able to give the pig king an item and then anyone in vicinity of PK during giving him this item will be teleported to a circular arena surrounded by lava where your character powers are all disabled- everyone basically becomes WES and your character choice only determines the skin your using. In addition to that: The only weapon allowed is a giant wooden sign where the goal is to smack all other players off the platform into the lava.

I dunno if ur being sarcastic, but you literally described the year of the PK minigame except for the tp to an arena part

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bluepufferfish    209

I want a semi-overhaul of pvp but I've played in enough pvp servers to say that the strategy is actually pretty fun. It needs a lot of polish but it works fine if your willing to make it work. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    7702
25 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

I dunno if ur being sarcastic, but you literally described the year of the PK minigame except for the tp to an arena part

That’s exactly where the idea comes from my friend, well that and games like Marooners/Big Crown Showdown- Games where the actual goal was to whack your enemies off a platform.

I think this would truly be a fun and actually balanced PVP experience- because Current PVP would be won by a single Wurt and a 200 mermhut army.. Yeah I’m being character Biased..

you guys hate on Wurt so much but she can reach absurd levels of OP in relatively short fashion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wardin25    669
1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

That’s exactly where the idea comes from my friend, well that and games like Marooners/Big Crown Showdown- Games where the actual goal was to whack your enemies off a platform.

I think this would truly be a fun and actually balanced PVP experience- because Current PVP would be won by a single Wurt and a 200 mermhut army.. Yeah I’m being character Biased..

you guys hate on Wurt so much but she can reach absurd levels of OP in relatively short fashion.

For pvp walter wins, Ive tried and with ranged attacks, wobys speed, and fast cooking, no one could beat me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
D7X    257
6 hours ago, OrdoXenos said:

i used to watch pvp videos on this game - it looks very creepy. You run stupidly, so the animation of someone else's auto attack does not have time to catch up with you. Either the dudes just freeze them, or they kill them with a pan-flute.

Ice staffs are a great counter to whoever has the glommer panflute, or alternatively finding mandrakes and crafting your own panflute. I agree that it's wonky and it really sucks to get caught off guard by someone with a panflute before you've crafted a defence against it, but it can be fun to rush magic crafting to counter the panflute user. When I used to play PvP it was more a test of game knowledge than actual skill generally. It's an acquired taste I'll admit but the PvP works in it's own way. I wouldn't be against a rework though to make it more accessible and more of a drop in drop out affair rather than dedicating 1 or 2 hours just to have everyone leave before you got to kill them with all your hard earned gear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now