Sign in to follow this  
Yalp

Oddity: Weight Plates have 20% increased SHC

Yalp    78

I stumbled over this a while ago and haven't seen any mention of it anywhere:
Weight plates (WP) have a 20% increased SHC.

Example:
20°C WP + 120°C block of the same material and mass end up at 65°C WP + 66°C block(Using 66.5°C average going forth).
If they were the same SHC they would be going towards (120+20)/2 = 70°C each.
The temperature change for the block over the WP is (120-65.5)/(65.5-20) = 1.1978 ~ 120%, thus the thermal capacity of the WP is ~120%.

Not sure if this is of use to anyone, but maybe it finds some creative way into some build or whatever :)

• Health 1
  • Potato Cup 1

wachunga    404

There are a handful of things that do this. From my brief testing:

Transit Tube Crossing

Heavi-Watt Joint Plate

Heavi-Watt Conductive Joint Plate

Farm Tile

Weight Plate

If you click twice on buildings which create a solid tile, you first see info for the building and then info for the solid tile that was created. The "correct" behavior is for these buildings to be just a facade and have no heat capacity or heat transfer beyond what the underlying tile does (the bits that stick out from a Joint Plate or Tube Crossing are just visual). I venture to guess that the above mentioned buildings are using the heat capacity of both a solid tile (100%) and a building (20%).

Note that hydroponic farm tiles have the "correct" heat capacity of 100%. Looking at code differences between FarmTileConfig.cs and HydroponicFarmConfig.cs, one thing jumps out at me. The hydroponic code contains "buildingDef.UseStructureTemperature = false;" while the regular farm code does not. Perhaps this is the bit of code that removes the 20% heat capacity? AFAICT the tile creating buildings that behave properly have this bit of code, while the misbehaving ones are lacking it.

Another interesting thing is that Heavi-Watt Conductive is not the erroneous 120%, instead it appears to be 140%. As if the 20% calculation is using the mass of a regular plate (200kg) instead of a conductive plate (100kg). That doesn't appear to be the case from looking at that bit of code, but I am not a programmer. A bit academic though as fixing the first bug ought to render this bug moot.

Edit:

The gantry is all kinds of goofy. Building it costs 200kg of steel but creates two 200kg tiles. In addition, the building "facade" not only has it's heat capacity used, but it is used at 100%.

Edited by wachunga
  • Like 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Potato Cup 1

nakomaru    1668
15 hours ago, wachunga said:

The gantry is all kinds of goofy. Building it costs 200kg of steel but creates two 200kg tiles.

Seems like it's time for a rocket powered liquid steel fabricator.

• Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

wachunga    404
5 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Seems like it's time for a rocket powered liquid steel fabricator.

That was my immediate thought. Moreover, whatever bug causes the increased heat capacity also causes you to get more material when the thing melts. A total of 2x for the single tile buildings and 3x for the gantry. You could multiply your niobium supply by continually melting a niobium weight plate.

Interestingly, solid tiles of thermium melt into 95% tungsten and 5% niobium while buildings of thermium melt into 100% niobium. Combined with the bug, a weight plate of thermium melts into 95% tungsten and 105% niobium. Insulation is the only other solid that melts this way, giving 15% sour gas and 85% tungsten as a tile or 100% tungsten as a building.

Weird **** man.

Edited by wachunga
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1