JimmyJam

Next update called Fee Fi Fo Thumb?

Recommended Posts

Slagger    1499
11 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I can't speak for Klei but I really don't see them going a route where they put a "sky" world and the caves world on the same shard. Theres so much more work they'd need to do if they went this route instead of just another shard, i dont see it happening.

Would you believe me few years ago if I told you we are gonna get sea like shipwrecked and you will able to build base on sea?

 Sea have more and more problems like editing it as non-surface, making it non-walkable and rotating/controlling even jumping on a boat is such a cancer to make it. But they did. They was know they are gonna add so much new animation for every creature, 3D sea effect, boat psyich, swim textures etc. and they just did it. Still, sea have few problems and bugs but they still fixing it. So if i was the leader of this team, i wouldn't did something like that. It's hard, it's need so much work and it's not worth. How many of us using boats? It's risky to lost our items on sea. Lunar island is not that interesting (for now, updates still coming). Personally, I'm sending a Woodie to the island for stonefruits and glass (which we can get from caves now) and never think it again. There is nothing interesting in sea. (Also using boats as bridge)
 When we look at the "sky" biome, it can be pretty small. They only have to change sounds, light and few effect like earthquake etc (On lunar island they even changed sanity system...). Also bro, it's sky! Sky is sky! I would want to make a base here just for fun, nothing else. 
This cave thing is much much easier to make and I'm sure it's gonna get interest like having magical-steampunk styled skies.

Also few early spoilers would be cool joew because we are gonna kill eacother...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hornete    6264
4 minutes ago, Slagger said:

[snip]

From my experiences as a modder I think implementing and merging a "sky" world and caves world together on the same shard would be much much harder than implementing the oceans on the surface.

 

But hey. All we can do is wait and see, I hope I'm wrong!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slagger    1499
8 minutes ago, Hornete said:

text

Yeah, i hope too.

Also wanted to clear something. I was not comparing sea system and skies. In that way, of course adding creatures and effects to the sky etc. is harder. I was talking about making a place could be turn into sky. Like a bright place with clouds around. I'm saying this because we get even fishs after few months.

 

Spoiler

Also they can use hamlet textures for the sky it's fascinating *-*Steam Community :: Screenshot :: Hamlet closed beta bug #10 - cloud shop bug

 

Edited by Slagger
  • Like 2
  • Health 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    8493

Has the name of the November update actually been labeled as Fe Fi Foe Thumb or.. is this just an assumption fans are jumping to?

Because if it’s legit- then obvious incoming boss fight with a giant Charlie hand that’s trying to squish you under its thumb like a bug.

if it’s NOT the legit name for the update- What do you guys think the legit name Will be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slagger    1499
10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Text

Nah it's not. When Klei adds a silluete they rename it with a intriguing name and leave without information. We are get something including that name but we are not sure all update is about it.

Probably all of Klei team is sitting on a couch now and reading our comments for laughing.

The thing I can't understand it is that: Why they named a plant like that? It's not look like beans, it's look like lunar plant (which usually have pollen sacs on it)

Edited by Slagger
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosheeta    352

If a sky map was added in the same space as caves then that would just mean cave servers would be more computationally heavy.
 
I'm sure Klei have their reasons but I have always wondered why DST didn't have dynamic loading in regards to the spacial playfield. Caves servers having to run at all time even with no players in it? I know there is some off-local pausing to save resources but, still, entire server's up? Maybe there are some core design flaw that props up regarding dynamic loading that I wouldn't know of, or it's just hard.
 
Always easy to imagine, less so implementing. Minecraft doesn't seem to struggle running layers on/off dynamically if players are present or not. I wonder how it does that, if every dimension is actually like DST and also just have dedicated servers always running in the background, just that they're empty and ready to load the chunks on demand?
 
Presumably, it is what it is simply because the infrastructure wasn't built with this wild expansion ideas in mind. And infrastructure change I take it is like... why not just make a whole other game from scratch at that point.

Edited by Cosheeta
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaZoul    1944
On 10/25/2020 at 7:04 PM, Pinegrove said:

I'm honestly surprised it's not "Fee Fi Foe", as in foreshadowing of a future boss we get to fight. 

That's the thing, the word thumb has a bigger impact than a boss, which is pretty exciting. Then again, Hook, Line & Inker's Skittersquid wasn't exactly the centerpiece of that update. Also there is no guarantee that there is a new boss

Spoiler

But if there isn't I will emit eyeball cleaning liquid of displeased-ness and unhappiness from beneath my eyelids

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpmrocks    257
On 10/22/2020 at 4:36 PM, JimmyJam said:

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this yet but the new sneak peak image for the next beta/update is called "silhouette_fee_fi_fo_thumb.png".

Maybe its nothing or... maybe the next update has a giant as a new boss?

What do you guys think?

silhouette_fee_fi_fo_thumb.png.ae9fcb6debf484f466f53b46bbe6ed0e.png.5fe8deb2e58a591d8bd618eee092878c.png

 

[Wormwooding intensifies]

  • Like 1
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    8493

I think if we go in the sky at all it will be up to the moon to find out what’s up with that.. I mean Klei randomly threw in Horror Hounds and Horror Penguins these things were not later removed from the game upon being complained about, and while yes Joe said they don’t want to go too far in the Horror direction with DST- I think more mobs on par with (or well maybe a little less) then Horror Hound/Horror Penguin/FuelWeaver wouldn’t be taking things too far..

These two Mobs and that skeletal Creepy boss are in the game to signify a very strong turning point in the games story- it’s a clear pretty straight forward hint that “hey.. this place might not be as cheerful & peaceful as we think it is.”

if you have to go through the trouble of killing crab king gathering all the celestial altar stuffs, triggering some shadow war.. then I think your practically begging the game to get harder on you..

But that could just be my opinion- Personally I would LOVE a new Hamlet/Moon sky biome.. but only time will tell what Klei has in store.

Either way Klei themselves developed the Screecher Mod- and I would love to see that available on Xbox, but maybe as a completely optional free DLC that players can download from the Xbox Store: That way players who want that can DL and enjoy it, and players who don’t want that creepy mob in their game can ignore downloading it altogether.

Im not sure how feasible of a idea that would be.. but If were building a gigantic beanstalk like some suggest & are using that to go to the MOON (the area causing these strange mutated creatures) I’m going to be slightly disappointed if they scale back the moon mobs in favor of more cutesy less dangerous looking ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    6176

I really doubt that klei will add a new world/shard/whatever when they just started to fill the lcean with stuff

Imagine finish the ocean+filling a new entire world (without taking in count how hard will be to introduce a new workd with the engine)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mysterious box    417
On 10/22/2020 at 7:48 PM, YouKnowWho said:

Oh no. We thought we saw it all when we saw bigfoot

now we must face our toughest challenge yet: bighand

Wilson in smash confirmed?

5 hours ago, Well-met said:

What if the stalk ends up in players having a "Living Artifact" esque ability, instead of a boss?

Personally I'd love it if we got a some more of the magic from DS instead I love the shadow cape and that chest that shared inventory across the world

Edit:after thinking about it for afew seconds I guess i understand why they didn't port the chests

Edited by Mysterious box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chirsg    462

I don't understand why they didn't port the chests. In a game about teamwork, a root trunk would be an even better addition on dst.


At spawn, sometimes you can't help but die. It happens, but you join a game in winter or spring (don't ever join in summer. Your very existence in summer in and of itself is griefing) you're prone to freezing or being rained on to death. What better way to welcome a newcomer when you're busy doing a job than to give them a fighting chance. Picking them up from spawn each and every time is too much to ask. Root trunk transporting light at least is enough to do that. There isn't a guarantee to find grass and twigs. ESPECIALLY in winter. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Articestone    654
6 minutes ago, chirsg said:

I don't understand why they didn't port the chests. In a game about teamwork, a root trunk would be an even better addition on dst.


At spawn, sometimes you can't help but die. It happens, but you join a game in winter or spring (don't ever join in summer. Your very existence in summer in and of itself is griefing) you're prone to freezing or being rained on to death. What better way to welcome a newcomer when you're busy doing a job than to give them a fighting chance. Picking them up from spawn each and every time is too much to ask. Root trunk transporting light at least is enough to do that. There isn't a guarantee to find grass and twigs. ESPECIALLY in winter. 

But then cost of root trunk should be quite expensive or take about a year or half a year time to gather the materials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chirsg    462
12 minutes ago, Articestone said:

But then cost of root trunk should be quite expensive or take about a year or half a year time to gather the materials. 

Yeah, whatever. I'd be open to that. If it takes a lureplant to acquire one, so be it. The way I see it, this is quickly becoming a game where teamwork can take place from opposite ends of the map and a root trunk is a good way to facilitate that. Especially if klei will decide to add more islands. It's incredibly easy to find yourself on an island doing a whole 10 minute trip back to where you started because maybe, you forgot some flint or a gem. 

Having a structure that takes advantage of being on a team is basically the aim of the game. Don't starve together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Articestone    654
22 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Yeah, whatever. I'd be open to that. If it takes a lureplant to acquire one, so be it. The way I see it, this is quickly becoming a game where teamwork can take place from opposite ends of the map and a root trunk is a good way to facilitate that. Especially if klei will decide to add more islands. It's incredibly easy to find yourself on an island doing a whole 10 minute trip back to where you started because maybe, you forgot some flint or a gem. 

Having a structure that takes advantage of being on a team is basically the aim of the game. Don't starve together.

I mean it is feasible as it will also be useful for single players which they can use it to store their bundled supplier to build a base / store ingredients without use their inventory space unlike the lazy deserter which is useless without other players 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    8493

How come whenever I went off topic like this I get warned for it, someone else does it and it starts a perfectly fine conversation? It’s fine I hold absolutely no hard feelings

I even understand why I was warned my posts can be confusing, misunderstood and cause threads to spiral off-topic. 

So in an effort to get this one back on Topic has there been any confirmation of what the next updates actually going to be named?

The only hint we have to go off of is that Klei states this will be a Big update- now that part in particular strikes out at me.. because the CURRENT Update (Forgotten Knowledges/Hallowed Nights) 

Added New Character Skins, New Items/Belongings Skins, New Game Biomes, New enemy Mobs, New Craftable items, New Animated Short with pivotal Advancement in Lore..

How much Bigger could November’s update be?? Big could refer to the next update having even more content then Forgotten Knowledge- or it could just be a play on words as a Giant tease to Fe Fie Foe Thumb. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slagger    1499
On 10/25/2020 at 9:07 PM, Slagger said:

Probably all of Klei team is sitting on a couch now and reading our comments for laughing.

IMG_20201031_121630.thumb.JPG.abe409f6777753f04f862ab723bc2877.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    8493

Well I come with good news.. today’s the last day of October (Happy Halloween by the Way!) & this update is due out in the Beta branch in November, & realistically I would say maybe mid/end of November, they also said that that Updates full release would be in December for everyone. And it’s a big one!  
 

Now provided that nothing goes wrong and no delays have to be made we can expect that large update + WintersFeast in December, which would leave November update-less I would think? 
 

Of course- Knowing Klei they will probably do something small anyway to make sure we all still get a little something in November prior to the bigger December update, Maybe a 3rd QoL or a few skins or something, After the December/WF/ Year of Beefalo update is released Klei is going to take themselves a well deserved holiday break before diving back in.

Either Way, the mysterious teaser image has me excited to find out what sprouts from that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaZoul    1944
4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well I come with good news.. today’s the last day of October (Happy Halloween by the Way!) & this update is due out in the Beta branch in November, & realistically I would say maybe mid/end of November, they also said that that Updates full release would be in December for everyone. And it’s a big one!  
 

Now provided that nothing goes wrong and no delays have to be made we can expect that large update + WintersFeast in December, which would leave November update-less I would think? 
 

Of course- Knowing Klei they will probably do something small anyway to make sure we all still get a little something in November prior to the bigger December update, Maybe a 3rd QoL or a few skins or something, After the December/WF/ Year of Beefalo update is released Klei is going to take themselves a well deserved holiday break before diving back in.

Either Way, the mysterious teaser image has me excited to find out what sprouts from that. 

A small fact that may or may not mean anything, is that the Hallowed Nights even will end on the 22nd of November, as stated by Steam.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now