Capasak    4

I had square of insulated blocks and inside of square was 8 tons of steam. I builded another insulated block on the steam and then deconstruct the block and steam turned into granite with the same temperature as the steam had.. Funny.

Was it luck, or is that game mechanism? I was so ready, the steam will spread around and kill my colony.

20201016235558_1.thumb.jpg.3e4cdeda8169a043975001bf39fb47bf.jpg

Emeal    36

Its not a worthwhile post until we figure out how to replicate it.
Please post a detailed guide on how you did it and the save, before it happen.

Capasak    4

My save was overwrite by autosave, but still do the same thing I did.

1. make squares(4x4) of insulated blocks and inside the square have steam (2x2).

2. start building from edges another insulated block inside steam, after there will be only one square of steam.

3. build final insulated block in final steam block and after that, deconstruct that final insulated block.

There should be granite. Idk if amount of steam has role there too (there was like 8tons). If it dont work, i just find bug and dont have evidence anymore.

ExEvolution    25
21 minutes ago, Capasak said:

no, insulated tile was build out of ignerous rock.

All of the surrounding tiles? If even 1 of them was granite, then this could be the game flaking off the granite tile if your steam was over 668 degrees, although that should have happened in 5kg chunks, the game can be weird and when something hits over a certain mass, instead of debris, it could have formed as a tile

Capasak    4

5 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Did you run out of igneous? It will auto-switch if you do.

no for sure, i have enaugh.

4 minutes ago, ExEvolution said:

All of the surrounding tiles? If even 1 of them was granite, then this could be the game flaking off the granite tile if your steam was over 668 degrees, although that should have happened in 5kg chunks, the game can be weird and when something hits over a certain mass, instead of debris, it could have formed as a tile

yes, i build insulated tiles only out of ignerous rock. Steam had like 180°C and there was around 8 tons in the last block.

I would try developers tools, but idk how to activate it and I dont want to spoiler game for me, because I didnt played it to the end and have tons of things to discover.

ExEvolution    25

Looks like all of your steam is already condensed so the temperature shouldn't increase in your base too bad. I can't explain why it turned to granite (maybe mods?), but you shouldn't have to worry too much about breaking that steam vent open to clear the granite. You can combat any temperature increase locally by placing tempshift plates made of ice in any area that gets too hot

Capasak    4
9 minutes ago, ExEvolution said:

Looks like all of your steam is already condensed so the temperature shouldn't increase in your base too bad. I can't explain why it turned to granite (maybe mods?), but you shouldn't have to worry too much about breaking that steam vent open to clear the granite. You can combat any temperature increase locally by placing tempshift plates made of ice in any area that gets too hot

oh, that steam was where I have my mouse on granite, not on steam vent. Steam vent have nothing to do with it. That steam was under my colony.

nakomaru    1668
  • Probably not flaking: The tile is 1840kg, which is the default spawn mass of granite (e.g. when you spawn with debug, when the map maker spawns it).
  • Probably not accidental spawn: OP doesn't have debug enabled and there's also no sandbox button.
  • Probably not weird bug that spawns natural tile at default values: The default spawn temperature would have been 27C and it won't move to 184C quickly by gas conduction.
  • Probably just a normal tile: My guess is that this block was a natural map tile and was unwittingly left unbuilt, only being noticed again after a big deconstruct order.
Edited by nakomaru

Gurgel    1906
3 hours ago, nakomaru said:
  • Probably just a normal tile: My guess is that this block was a natural map tile and was unwittingly left unbuilt, only being noticed again after a big deconstruct order.

I have noticed that the current release version does wired things on occasion. I think there may be some rarely triggered bug, where the a reference to some random thing is used instead of the correct one. Most noticeably, I have had that for build-orders in places I most assuredly did not place it, but other things happen as well. For example, I have had the "eating in bed" animation, but just once. This issue here may be an instance of that, and the actual error may have happened some time before and only manifests now.

This could, for example, be an use-after-free bug or a bug where memory allocated freshly did not get cleared. Then what object is in there depends on the behavior of the memory management and garbage collector. As it does not seem to cause crashes, it is not some random value put in a pointer.

• Like 1