WhackE

canonically are the Ruins below the Caves?

CameoAppearance    2551

I've never seen any in-game quotes commenting on this or word-of-god lore updates about it, but my headcanon is that when Charlie took over the Nightmare Throne the floor of the upper caves level collapsed and large chunks were dumped intact onto the same level as the ruins.

• Like 3
  • Health 1

WhackE    425
34 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

I've never seen any in-game quotes commenting on this

I mean what kind of quotes would they add? 

Wilson: "wow there sure is a lot of lichen in these here caves that wasn't here before and in the ruins!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cassielu    109

i think it just a way to show ancient ruin in the deep underground.

for technical reasons , klei use other way to show it in dst.

there nothing change in lore.

• Like 1

x0-VERSUS-1y    6127

DS/T lore is prone to retconning, plus is not that developed to begin with. Was more of a "side effect" to link different aspects of what initially was only amusing (yet pretty harsh post-RoG) Survival with whimsical elements (satire and humor) into something resembling a story. Perhaps you shouldn't put too much emphasis on DS/T lore and just have fun playing it, because otherwise you'll stumble over inconsistencies/plot holes.

• Like 2

WhackE    425
5 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

DS/T lore is prone to retconning, plus is not that developed to begin with. Was more of a "side effect" to link different aspects of what initially was only amusing (yet pretty harsh post-RoG) Survival with whimsical elements (satire and humor) into something resembling a story. Perhaps you shouldn't put too much emphasis on DS/T lore and just have fun playing it, because otherwise you'll stumble over inconsistencies/plot holes.

I agree, I never try to look too deep into these kind of things, it's just their existence that Irks me.

• Like 1

Notecja    865
8 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

DS/T lore is prone to retconning

I believe Constant is a place out of time and of real place - like thousands similar (or different like Hamlet to RoG) worlds, almost like kind of (bad) dream. So I wouldn't find weird if past could be constantly changed in the present and in the future and still it be same world. Kind of:
<change happens>
Wilson1: Was it here yesterday?
Wilson2: Science says it always was like that.

Minitte    156

Maybe the ruins are still on a lower level if you imagine that you have to go down slope to get to the ruins :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1

cropo    181

To me it would make sense that the ruins are canonically deeper than the caves. In the caves, light from the surface can reach down which doesn't sound like something a bug-like species that lives in a dark underground area would enjoy. This isn't really an issue in the DS ruins because light cannot reach.

We also have the fissures, which were intended to give imagry of the ruins being so powerful that it was opening up cracks on the caves level and the shadow creatures were leaking out, in DST their inclusion doesn't make as much sense since the ruins is supposedly on the same level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blue Moth    3903

i believe that the ruins are deeper than the caves, the atrium is deeper than the ruins, and the archive is deeper than the atrium.

(either that or the atrium is deeper than the archive)