SilverBisexual

Are there skins that no longer drop?

SilverBisexual    534

Hey everyone,

When looking at the steam marketplace there are several types of skins, "Guest of Honor" and "Survivor" heads which are exceedingly expensive. However, skins sets that came out around the same time, "Roseate" and "Triumphant" are far less expensive.

So my question is that are certain skins no longer dropping?

• Like 2

bigGMIW    23

I would like to know this too, because I have been hearing that Guest of Honor at least stopped dropping. Which is kinda messed up if so, but you'll be able to get all the normal skins eventually from each character's rework.

I recall many others saying that they haven't had any of the drops you've mentioned, and I can say that I haven't had any of those drops either. Like you've mentioned, it's likely why they're so dang expensive.

Which is a shame, Guest of Honor Wilson is likely one of my favorite skin sets. I doubt the Wilson rework is coming anytime soon, and unless I become a millionaire with loads of money to burn, I'm not spending 50 dollars on a skin.

• Like 1

ShadowDuelist    7085

I got survivor Willow about a year and half ago, as a drop, before her rework. So unless its a recent change, they did drop after the Beta.

I also got survivor Maxwell (twice), survivor Woodie and survivor Wickerbottom as daily drops in the 2017-2018 period.

I can't say anything about the GOH's because honestly i got none as drops, and I wouldn't know.

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 1

CameoAppearance    2571
4 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Was there any statement about this, why and since when these skins don't drop? I haven't heard about any official announcement regarding this, but I'm fairly sure these skins don't drop any more (the marketable ones, that is).

Not that I'm aware of. I've never been able to find out whether the drop rate on the nonweaveable GoH skins is actually 0% or just really really low, or whether their all-but-unattainable drop rate is an intentional choice or a bug. At least, not from anyone who worked at Klei, had spoken to someone from Klei, or could otherwise prove what they were saying.

The weaveable ones are their own thing, and they do drop, but those only exist for characters who've been refreshed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SnowdropPax    158

I think the prices on Steam are outrageous regardless of weather or not it drops. Wickerbottom's Guest of Honor skin goes for 35 dollars. That's more than for paying for 2 copies of the game. Why would I spend 35 dollars on a single skin, and then another 10 dollars for the rest of the outfit?

• Like 2

Duck986    784

who knows, maybe GoHs drop rate at 0% is kinda profitable for Klei somehow or other...

Edited by Duck986

SilverBisexual    534
1 hour ago, Duck986 said:

who knows, maybe GoHs drop rate at 0% is kinda profitable for Klei somehow or other...

How? I don't believe they make money off of the Steam marketplace

Wardin25    669
6 hours ago, SnowdropPax said:

I think the prices on Steam are outrageous regardless of weather or not it drops. Wickerbottom's Guest of Honor skin goes for 35 dollars. That's more than for paying for 2 copies of the game. Why would I spend 35 dollars on a single skin, and then another 10 dollars for the rest of the outfit?

Those prices are set by the community, so you cant really blame klei for that

• Like 1

SnowdropPax    158
4 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

Those prices are set by the community, so you cant really blame klei for that

I'm not blaming Klei. I'm just pointing out that some skins are way to expensive to ever want to buy, regardless of if the drops are still available. Which really sucks if you are trying to complete a characters collection. 

bubben16    830
4 hours ago, TimothyCarter said:

How? I don't believe they make money off of the Steam marketplace

If i remember correctly, Klei gets a small part of the fees of all the market sales. Could be wrong about this one.

• Like 1

__IvoCZE__    8359

Guys, we need to overthrow steam market hierarchy and start OUR community market, where everything is free!* ** *** ****
*Ivo the Time Traveller is not responsible for any possible dismemberment, deaths, pain and suffering, psychological misfortune and price crashes.
**Except Wes skins, because everyone should try playing as Wes when they first start.
***Excluding everything that should have been included, including GoH skins.
****This is just pain to read, isn't it?

Edited by __IvoCZE__
  • Like 1
  • Wavey 2

Wardin25    669
1 hour ago, bubben16 said:

If i remember correctly, Klei gets a small part of the fees of all the market sales. Could be wrong about this one.

im fairly certain only steam gets fees

Lumberlocke    1178

Alas, I'll just wait for everyone to get their rework. Individually, one by one. Just for skin availability. With spools collecting dust.

...siiiiigh. :distant:

Monkey Cups    382
12 hours ago, Slagger said:

Lol I only get one skin drop ever. The rest of it is skirt and tshort xD

Man I feel you. I've seen more pleated shirts than a clothing store.

• Haha 1

ShadowDuelist    7085

TBH Klei is slowly fixing the market by adding the weavable versions of the skins on each rework. Sooner or later we will be able to enjoy all the skins of every character at a reasonable price, as long as you don't care about the rarity of them.

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wardin25    669
1 hour ago, mac and cheese said:

According to this discussion, game publishers get 10% of each transaction and Valve gets 5%. No source was provided in the thread, though.

i read it and yeah, no source and 20 people arguing maths

mac and cheese    501
2 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

i read it and yeah, no source and 20 people arguing maths

Looked around a bit more and found a legit source here. This is from 2013, so the exact values may have changed, but part of the fees probably still go to the publishers.