AllFunNGamez

How do you keep yourself entertained with DST?

Mike23Ua    7702

Honestly? This game is probably one of the ones you can play for a very long time without ever getting bored, and even when you DO get bored you can do other things to Unbore yourself.

I like to constantly fool around with World Gen settings prior to hosting a world- I once built a world where it was Summer 24/7 and I self implied rule was that I can’t build ice fling machines.. or Appease Antlion, so I was literally living in a world that could get so hot that it went up in flames, and simulated Antlion attacks as the ground becoming so hot beneath my feet that it collapsed in upon itself.

There is so many options as well as many hidden features in the game to be discovered, and a large cast of playable characters with varying playstyles this little 15$ game has provided me with more entertainment value then games I paid over 100$ for.

And with each new character refresh, return of them content update and Quality of Life update it only continues to get better!

There is a lot of content about Return of Them that I have yet to even explore- but I know it’s out there.. waiting on me when I get ready for it and more content will continue to be added until Klei announces there will be no more.

THAT is why I choose to support Klei, DS, it’s DLC add on’s and DST is without a question one of the best entertainment values for you can possibly get for that price.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 1

sinisterrkid    1504

Hi, Travis!

The wildest idea is at the end, but I should start with the simplest ones:

I strongly recommend:

• Lights out: You can make as your first goal doing the moon-caller staff event as soon as possible. Why? Because if you don't pick the staff off the moon altar, it gives off permanent light. This makes a lights-out run intense from the beginning, as you rush the ruins and try to get back to the surface before you miss the next full-moon, with the caveat that you also need to prep the moon altar by surrounding it with statues, so hounds and werepigs don't destroy it. After that, a base gains a whole new meaning: it's the only place in the world where you'll have constant, guaranteed, light.
  • Do time-trials: Lots to customize here. You can imagine the classics, such as trying to set personal records for beating Dragonfly in the least amount of days, or making one of every pseudo-science station items. But you can also race people or teams in the same server.
    • You can invent more complex tasks (as time-trials or races) such crafting a Glass Cutter + Magiluminescence + Shadow Manipulator. It becomes like Amazing Race in your server. (Consider the ownership mod so people can deposit their crafted items in their team's chest and keep track of them, if the list of required items is very long.) Or you can do it with dishes, too, which is really fun.

I recommend as a small adjustment that has made me feel refreshed:

• Set world loops to always and world branches to never: this sounds silly, but it's such a small thing to do and that has made me happier, so why not try it? It generates a "donut-world" and you can sail from one biome to another through the donut hole. Remember to do the same for the caves!! Caves end up with nice gens as well.

I recommend without ever having tried it:

• Turn the world into an RPG game of Risk: Start by getting the Craftable Monster Lair mod. Define what mob will be each team's. Before the game, define 4 biomes as bases to be conquered. Whoever conquers 3 of them wins. The way you conquer a biome is by placing an Ocuvigil on it and tagging it as your team's, by placing your team's monster lair next to it. For another team to conquer it back, they'll have to fight the mobs and put their own in its place. Fill the biome with your mobs if you can. So Ocuvigils are more accessible right away, set meteor fields and frequency to lots for more moonrocks, and clockworks to more, so you can get purple gems from bishops.
    • Lots of possibilities for tweaking. I'd say go for small map on settings. Global positions could be on or off. Endless mode or not. More bases, additional rules... I think it could make for a high-paced strategy game.
  • Like 2

I've tried doing a few caves only runs recently, and they're painful great if you're too used to the typical early-game shenanigans. It's simple to get started: Using console commands, teleport to any sinkhole, spawn yourself a pickaxe, mine open the sinkhole, and jump right in.

Obviously, the rules are simple. Once you go into the caves, there's no going back out. The only time you're allowed om the surface is to go into the caves is when you've just spawned in, and have yet to go into the caves. During that time period on the surface, you can't take a single item down into the caves with you, so if you have anything in your inventory, drop it.

Once you've made it into the caves, that's when the real gameplay begins. It's not the most riveting at the begging, you have to wait for an earthquake to drop down some flint so you can get properly started. You should focus on making an alchemy engine, to obviously make a lantern. After that, gameplay is easier.

Obviously, there would be some things you'd never be able to obtain. For instance, eggs from a birdcage, and lots of clothing items like the eyebrella, tam o' shanter, or a walking cane if you don't get a Lazy Explorer drop from the Ancient Guardian. 

Many runs use the surface and caves in tandem (or just the surface if your device is crap enough) so it's interesting to see what you're able to accomplish without any surface dweller commodities you're likely used to.

There isn't really many more goals than a more standard DST run. Fuelweaver is impossible, so I guess you could try and kill AG, Toadstool, or just try and survive a full year. Do whatever you want! 

Or you could just, y'know, play another game until your intrest has been piqued again. 

• Like 2

Duck986    784
18 hours ago, AllFunNGamez said:

Let me know your ways you enjoy the game. 

I am trying to keep myself involved with mods that make game harder and more interesting, like Feast and Famine, Uncompromising mode or Do your Map. But I rarely deviate from my playing habits, like base location or game settings

Charlie Dark    4833
3 minutes ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Try DST Roleplay, it's a dying art of this game that I'm keeping alive.

Well... you're not the only one! Sometimes I do it with my friends... Private servers only! It's much better.

ryvrdrgn14    170
  • Build bote.
  • Go out to sea and fish for large fish.
  • Come back to land and hang my raw fish on drying racks until they become jerky.
  • Use this jerky with monster meat and a filler to create Meaty Stew.
  • Enjoy Meaty Stew that was not created from a bunny farm that could have produced it 10x more efficiently. 

Alternatively, I can heal myself during boss fights with Lobster Bisque instead of Pierogi.

Edited by ryvrdrgn14
  • Like 1

Well-met    3849
On 10/19/2020 at 2:36 AM, Tuesday Pidgeon said:

I've tried doing a few caves only runs recently, and they're painful great if you're too used to the typical early-game shenanigans. It's simple to get started: Using console commands, teleport to any sinkhole, spawn yourself a pickaxe, mine open the sinkhole, and jump right in.

Obviously, the rules are simple. Once you go into the caves, there's no going back out. The only time you're allowed om the surface is to go into the caves is when you've just spawned in, and have yet to go into the caves. During that time period on the surface, you can't take a single item down into the caves with you, so if you have anything in your inventory, drop it.

Once you've made it into the caves, that's when the real gameplay begins. It's not the most riveting at the begging, you have to wait for an earthquake to drop down some flint so you can get properly started. You should focus on making an alchemy engine, to obviously make a lantern. After that, gameplay is easier.

Obviously, there would be some things you'd never be able to obtain. For instance, eggs from a birdcage, and lots of clothing items like the eyebrella, tam o' shanter, or a walking cane if you don't get a Lazy Explorer drop from the Ancient Guardian. 

Many runs use the surface and caves in tandem (or just the surface if your device is crap enough) so it's interesting to see what you're able to accomplish without any surface dweller commodities you're likely used to.

There isn't really many more goals than a more standard DST run. Fuelweaver is impossible, so I guess you could try and kill AG, Toadstool, or just try and survive a full year. Do whatever you want! 

Or you could just, y'know, play another game until your intrest has been piqued again. 

You don't need to cheat your way in the caves.

Just make the server generate caves only. https://citadelservers.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_To_Set_Up_Your_Don't_Starve_Together_Caves_Server#:~:text=For a caves only server,to your "File Manager".&text=3) Set "Server World Type,Save" to save your changes.

gaymime    3570
59 minutes ago, Well-met said:

wasnt there an issue a while back with cave-only servers having serious bugs or something?

Mike23Ua    7702
Spoiler

All of this off-topic, but you know what? I don’t care.. it doesn’t upset me- and I’m not going to report it to a moderator you know why? Because it STARTED out on topic and ended up here, and as long as it eventually gets back on topic and the original OP of the post isn’t lost in 50 pages of debates... then it’s just forum members actively engaging in conversations between one another like one big group of friends.

People really need to learn how to relax a little, especially in 2020 where the whole worlds experiencing a collective strange new experience together.. enjoy those off topic conversations, participate in those discussions between forum members but don’t lose the original topic of the thread by talking about the color of the cat you just bought for 50 pages

.As for the actual OP of this topic- I really enjoy fooling around with world Gen settings prior to hosting a world, and it’s something I wish I had TONS more customization over.. For example OP if you find a certain feature of the game making the game Too Easy for you (like how every single character in the game with the exception of Wormwood, Wigfrid and Warly can technically live forever off just eating butterflies and butterflies by themselves alone..) then you can turn Butterflies OFF for a new degree of challenge.

People really need to branch out of the Meta way of playing this game franchise.. they give you these toggle options for you to screw around with, why neglect to use them??? Why waste a feature Klei took the time to provide to you.. and then complain that your game has become boring?

Maybe for PC players these settings full of things you can toggle on/off more/less are something they have had in many games so it’s nothing fancy for them..

But very VERY Few CONSOLE games have a cool menu full of stuff you can flip on/off, more/less of so it was something that drew me into DS/DST and hooked me on it.

Something that not many console games offered that allowed ME to be in control over how easy or how hard my game was going to be.

State of Decay 2 recently got an update to allow players to start toggling more or less of certain features, instead of just having a pre-set difficulty level it’s something you can now custom tailor to your liking.. 

AND it’s something that I deeply Admire DS/DST for having.

If you complain about how easy it is to set up for and survive winter, then how about toggling “Random seasons and season lengths”

I can promise you that you WONT always have the appropriate items required to survive with on hand- 

The TL:DR what has become a predictable game of learning, preparing, counting days and time it takes to do something and surviving, now becomes an Unpredictable game of “Situational Awareness” You CANT have a massive mega base built, and be prepared to endure Winter if for example

Day 1-2 is Autumn, Day 3-35 is Winter, Day 36 is Summer and your base burns down because in your panicked frenzy to not freeze to death you forgot to build Summer protection items, oh but guess what??!! Day 37 is Winter again and- You die of freezing anyway because your base got destroyed. 

(Yes I am trying to shamelessly plug in and sale the world Gen customization settings on you... but Darn it man if Klei goes through all the trouble of giving you the feature, why not at least do them the honors of attempting to use it?) 

Hopefully my long somewhat of a rant post has been enough to spark some inspiration into you OP to no longer be bored with this incredible game.. and to everyone who actually read this far- Thank You <3

Edited by Mike23Ua