AbbyRead

Unbidden World Regen (PS4 DS, RoG, Shipwrecked, Hamlet) [Gameplay] [Exploit?]

AbbyRead    1

Bug Submission

Category:

[Gameplay] Extra world gens per game, untrustworthy save system.

[Exploit] It’s like a free ride on the teleportato, maybe even slightly better.  Inventory, recipes, prefabs, and chester contents retained; and followers follow.  Can sometimes (still testing this) reset the game clock to Day 1.

Platform:

• PS4
  • Couldn’t replicate on Nintendo Switch, in case that helps.

Do you use mods?

• PS4 version = no mods.
  • Settings: Any

Version Number:

• 1.15 as well (just checked)

Issue title:

Unbidden World Regen (PS4 DS, RoG, Shipwrecked, Hamlet)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Find sinkhole from overworld.
  2. Destroy plug.
  3. Enter sinkhole.
  4. Save and exit to menu.
  5. Close the game entirely from the system home screen.
  6. Load the game again.
  7. Exit through sinkhole.

Describe your issue:

• As far as I am aware, the overworld and the caves (respectively) should only generate once.  It seems though, that saving and exiting the game completely will cause whichever map you subsequently travel into to generate anew.  I have experienced this every time I repeat these steps in various combinations and outcomes (all bad).  Often, it will seem like the cave generating is frozen, but will actually complete in a minute or two with an entirely new version of the cave (seemingly with a different RNG seed).  None of the things you put down for a base, or any of the changes you made are retained, not even the map fog of war.  

I love this game deeply, but I just can’t deal having this bug the way it is.  I’d like to get a handle on the caves and ruins, but not until this issue is patched out or resolved.  It makes me not want to play this version at all.

EDIT:  Just uninstalled and reinstalled after purchasing Hamlet (because yeah, I still want to pay you guys more money), and the problem persists.  Same settings as before; just wanted to see if owning everything fixed the problem, and it doesn’t.  None of the settings prevent it, and according to itziharry it occurs across Shipwrecked and Hamlet as well.  Bye bye bases.

Edited by AbbyRead
Updated to reflect new info from responses and further testing.
  • Thanks 1

Panclaws    1

Same issue on ps4 here. Started a game as wagstaff. Went into the caves and then left for work. I come back and go into the surface. The world is completely reset but i still have my items. I try to close app and reload but all that does is reset it to day 1. Still have items tho.

• Big Ups 1

AbbyRead    1

Hey, Panclaws.  Thanks for replying.  I’m glad it’s not just my PS4 being crazy.  But yeah, it sucks that this is a thing.  I experienced that too on subsequent tests.  It seems that if you close the software while going to the surface, it’ll do that.  Major exploit there, as it is basically a free ride on the teleportato.

Cave Regen Steps: Save and close the software while in the overworld.  Open software and enter caves.

Overworld Regen Steps: Save and quit the software while in the caves.  Open software and exit caves.

Day One Exploit: Do the steps to Overworld Regen, but close the software after it autosaves during regeneration.  Note, this does not reset time of day or inventory contents.  So far I’ve only been able to get this once per game.  If it doesn’t warp to day one, it’ll still regen the overworld, but the date and hound intervals remain.

Minus the actual Shipwreck or Hamlet game start (Haven’t tested, don’t know if they have map transitions), I’ve confirmed that this glitch effects all gametypes.  This includes: DS Original, Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked-Compatible, and Hamlet-Compatible.  Short of never closing the software, I don’t know of any way to avoid the effects of this programming oversight.

Edited by AbbyRead
More testing. Minor changes for clarity and typographic consistency.

itziharry    6

Having the same problem here seems like every time I reload a save then go in a cave or hop between shipwreck and hamlet it crashes then it resets the world back to day 1 then losing my base in the progress

• Thanks 1

themightyone    200

Yes ! This exact thing just happened to me on PS4 . 16 days in on a awesome world , just got set up proper . Run down to the closest cave to snag some rocks , and the cave gen screen runs endlessly . I quit out and the save says cave depths one . I load and the cave loads fine this time , snag a dozen rocks and go up to the surface and I get a world gen screen ? I'm thinking that's not right . I get dropped in a new world with the items I already had but nothing is mapped and my base is gone . 

KLEI PLEASE FIX THIS BUG !! I JUST LOST A NICE WORLD

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

JanH    7265

Thank you all for the report and for sharing your repro steps. We have provided the information to our porting partner and are looking into this now.

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1