Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

OrdoXenos

Remove or replace useless items!

Recommended Posts

OrdoXenos    102

I believe that this game has accumulated a lot of content for which there is no use.

Just need to remove it and stop releasing skins on it.

First of all, this is a section of clothing with hats that you will never wear. Either these hats need to have a completely different functionality.

But the first thing that needs attention in my opinion is "multitool_axe_pickaxe". In my opinion, it is completely useless.

Wood in this game needs 3-4 times more than stones. It takes 3 times longer to get it. Therefore, a glass ax or a Woody character completely solves the problem with resources. A gold ax is enough.

Such items, similar in functionality with less usefulness, will simply confuse the players.

Instead, you need to add items that serve a completely different function.

Modification "Battle Axes" gives a hint - axes are needed in order to inflict damage in the area and stun monsters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    4871

pick/axe requires less hits on boulders. I suppose it's an acceptable niche.

but yes many items require tweaks and that has been known and asked for by the community for many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrdoXenos    102
3 minutes ago, Well-met said:

pick/axe requires less hits on boulders. I suppose it's an acceptable niche.

but yes many items require tweaks and that has been known and asked for by the community for many years.

 

Yes, you will deal 5 hits instead of 6. For this you will spend 2 golden tools and waste a lot of time looking for thulecite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    7096
27 minutes ago, OrdoXenos said:

 

Yes, you will deal 5 hits instead of 6. For this you will spend 2 golden tools and waste a lot of time looking for thulecite.

you can use wasted gold tools and 2 thulecite isnt a big deal when you have entire chests fills with it

 

its a late game tool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowDuelist    7983

The grass armor could offer a little water and heat resist, less than other body vests that offer those things of course. I always thought it would also be used as a material to make some armor, maybe a future armor?

Scaled armor could probably get some tweak, its currently an armor super dangerous to make which tends to set everything around you on fire. I only saw EsaiXD giving it a fair use, during summer to fight fire hounds, but he always was extremely careful with it and usually while riding a beefalo, which seems very niche and the main reason why most people won't use it.

Pick/axe probably needs a considerably large durability boost, so its worth investing thulecite into a tool that lasts for a long time.

Rabbit earmuffs could protect against bearger yawns just making you groggy, instead of putting you to sleep (and losing some durability each time it protects you). It was recently buffed to be a tier 0 insulation which is great, but this tweak would further increase its usefulnes in the game 

Night armor could probably cost 2 papyrus instead of 3.

Most of Wormwood's crafts (except the living logs) would also need tweaks, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ADM    7955
44 minutes ago, OrdoXenos said:

multitool_axe_pickaxe

I really like this item :( Imo it's a very underrated tool, maybe it could deserves an additional bonus but overall it's solid, cheap, and it takes you less slots. When I've finished with amulets, armors and staff, I use the rest of my thulecite on Pick/Axe and it really do be nice when I don't play a foraging character.
I don't even think Moon Glass Axe outclassed the axe function of this tool with spice or not, I'm convinced 2 thulecite is cheaper than the equivalent of Moon Glass with the bad durability of this axe, the two are good, depending of you're expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowDuelist    7983
2 minutes ago, ADM said:

I really like this item :( Imo it's a very underrated tool, maybe it could deserves an additional bonus but overall it's solid, cheap, and it takes you less slots. When I've finished with amulets, armors and staff, I use the rest of my thulecite on Pick/Axe and it really do be nice when I don't play a foraging character.

Well yeah, technically its not bad, but overall most people would rather keep the thulecite for armor instead of something they can make on the fly by keeping just gold and twigs with them, and then probably dispose it.

A durability increase would probably attract more people into crafting one (making it more convenient) and those that already like it as it is would also benefit by getting an even better item.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ADM    7955
1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

A durability increase would probably attract more people into crafting one (making it more convenient) and those that already like it as it is would also benefit by getting an even better item.

This would be good yeah, maybe making it better at breaking thulecite statues would be a nice addition as well, there's always place for improvements, but removing things is never the best option :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brubs    3736

Unused items should be looked at, never deleted imo, same goes with really strong items.

I would personally like Rabbit Earmuffs to cost one rabbit only (i mean every rabbit has two ears anyways) and maybe add a grass to the items needed? I see this item to be a quick craft for people joining servers during winter.

Give Tail o' Three Cats a purpose to be used? Or at least remove the Tentacle spots as a required item since it makes no sense (It's a Catcoon themed item, not tentacles)

Pretty Parasol is so cute but everytime i use it i feel so underwhelmed. Maybe reduce it's building cost or boost sanity gained?

Wurt's Clever Disguise could use some love too. I would love it to be a repairable item. This would ensure people no longer fear merms when Wurt is offline. It also makes no sense why this item has so many drowbacks (it already drains sanity). Many people don't even know of the existence of this item and IMO it's because Wurt is not so popular and also because it's not efficient making it at all since it will rot in a few days.

These are my 2 coins. I don't want to write a wall text but theres plenty of other items that could receive some love as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    4871
Just now, MAMMAL_MAN said:

I think there should be a QoL update to have all underpowered/overpowered items looked over.

It's already happening. But klei only does a few items at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MAMMAL_MAN    86
8 minutes ago, Well-met said:

It's already happening. But klei only does a few items at a time.

I was thinking of a QoL update primarily focused on looking over items

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    4871
8 minutes ago, MAMMAL_MAN said:

I was thinking of a QoL update primarily focused on looking over items

You should look up what "Quality of Life" actually means then lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MAMMAL_MAN    86
6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

You should look up what "Quality of Life" actually means then lol

Im just trying to say that I think there should be an update focused on looking over any underpowered or overpowered items

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ohan    1868
1 hour ago, Brubs said:

Pretty Parasol is so cute but everytime i use it i feel so underwhelmed. Maybe reduce it's building cost or boost sanity gained?

Ive found this item to be a real lifesaver when u join servers in spring/summer (maybe thats enough?) But yeah other than that i never craft it. It is indeed pretty though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GetNerfedOn    6696

imo these items are there to help players choose for themselves the best methods to survive using heuristics in line with DST's design philosophy of being a game that doesnt directly hold your hand. while we experienced players may already regard the said items as useless there's still afair chunk of the playerbase that isnt experienced and may rely on these items for survival.

In the end, while I may agree that some items like the Night Light, Pick/Axe, Fashion Melon, etc. are not as useful and may even need tweaks, i see no reason to warrant their entire removal or replacement. Players still on the learning curve will and shall find them useful to survive and to me it would be unfair to remove options just because they are less efficient than other options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brubs    3736
52 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

imo these items are there to help players choose for themselves the best methods to survive using heuristics in line with DST's design philosophy of being a game that doesnt directly hold your hand. while we experienced players may already regard the said items as useless there's still afair chunk of the playerbase that isnt experienced and may rely on these items for survival.

In the end, while I may agree that some items like the Night Light, Pick/Axe, Fashion Melon, etc. are not as useful and may even need tweaks, i see no reason to warrant their entire removal or replacement. Players still on the learning curve will and shall find them useful to survive and to me it would be unfair to remove options just because they are less efficient than other options.

Thats a fair point, however, i find it difficult for new players to build a Tail o' Three Cats... They will probably die to tentacles before they could get one of their spots. Also new players tend to tank every hit and just attack until their target dies... So maybe the grass armor could help them with that but then again it is pretty expensive to make compared to log suits (cost - efficient wise)

What i'm trying to say it's that this game could use more Tier 1 items. These could be items that don't need any type of science to make (or just science machine) and provide a little help for a low cost. I think that some items provide not only low nebefits but also they are pretty expensive to make.

Yeah sure it is also part of the game to discover whats worth to make and whats not... Which also adds some difficulty specially to newer players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    7096
4 hours ago, Ohan said:

Ive found this item to be a real lifesaver when u join servers in spring/summer (maybe thats enough?) But yeah other than that i never craft it. It is indeed pretty though 

with that, a straw hat, under a tree and a fire you get 100% wetness resistance

idk why people say that is useless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Moth    5293
On 10/7/2020 at 7:39 AM, OrdoXenos said:

But the first thing that needs attention in my opinion is "multitool_axe_pickaxe". In my opinion, it is completely useless.

that is false. finding one in a chest in the ruins is always nice. not to mention, if you have a luxury axe and opulent pickaxe that are both at 1%, making a pick/axe is the best thing to do with those. and once that pick/axe is at 1%, you can deconstruct it to get the individual tools back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Petit Citron    306

While many items do need some tweaks (and for some of them it's more of a cost rebalance), I don't get the idea of telling Klei to remove them.

Like they bother you so much you can't open the craft tab ? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    9259

I’ve actually paid real money and bought skins for some of those so called “useless” items that you want removed from the game-

Wendys Belongings set includes both a skin for the Parasol, and a skin for Straw Hats.

Klei doesn’t make this game for one person, and they also don’t design game content around the “Meta” way people play.

And i for one would actually like to have MORE skins for those so called useless items no one use’s.

There is no right, or wrong way to play an open world sandbox game.

To firmly rest my case: there are tons of cool unique skins for the average SPEAR, meanwhile the higher tier better weapons are left (mostly) skinless.

As a Result: I use more Spears then (inserts better weapon here) 

But if people thought like you- as in all weaker items are useless please remove, there would BE no sales off spear skins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites