Bronzebot

The Name of Wigfrid's Animated Short

Wumpus the 19th    1137

i remember having what you might call a "head canon" for wig.

It was something about another actress poisoning wigfrid during an actual feast used for a play.

since that day wigfrid was a tad bit sickly, which explains her small stomach (that was the main point i remember).

I guess the poison was what made her fall into her Valkyrie persona hard.

i don't fully remember, this just seemed like an appropriate place to place it. back then i was still waiting for dst to be ported to xbox.

• Like 2

Chicken_    34

I'm not too sure about the name, but I have a couple ideas about the short. Firstly, Wigfrid is likely adapted from Siegfried, from Die Walküre. Apparently, Sigfrid is the modern version/way of using it. Sigfrid is male, and given gender roles at the time, perhaps she was looked down upon for being a woman? 
She was probably brought into the Constant because she wanted to hone her skills, especially combat, so there's many ways you can take that; a rival actor, growing up in the shadow of her parents (heh, shadow), etc, or just wanting to get better in general. 

• Like 4

minespatch    78474

I'm curious if the ogre Fafnir will be referenced in the short or in a future update. I love how that character is inconsistent in each version. My favorite take is the Bernard Evslin story.

But that's just me.

Pinegrove    1169
1 hour ago, Chicken_ said:

perhaps she was looked down upon for being a woman? 

Shieldmaidens in the Viking age were actually often highly praised by society for their bravery (as seen in various literature and sagas), instead of shunned and looked down upon for not furfilling gender roles. Pretty cool if you ask me! 

As in for the name, I don't want to make this long, but I'll add that I also agree that her name is inspired by Siegfried, but is actually derived from the feminine Old Norse name Vígfríðr (víg meaning "battle" and fríðr meaning "beautiful"). 

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

ogre Fafnir

I agree, that would be a neat reference! I'll have to point out that Fáfnir is actually a dragon, though. I think you might have meant "dwarf", as he was one before he was turned into a dragon.

• Like 4

Blueleaf12    1761
18 minutes ago, Pinegrove said:

I agree, that would be a neat reference! I'll have to point out that Fáfnir is actually a dragon, though. I think you might have meant "dwarf", as he was one before he was turned into a dragon.

Fáfnir was the guy who stole the gold at the beginning of the opera and made the cursed ring that fell through history, right? I was actually wondering if Wigfrid’s rework would give her the cursed ring to use at an extreme cost; it’s very powerful, but she takes double damage, she can’t take the ring off until the durability runs out, it decreases her sanity a lot, etc. 

• Like 2

Pinegrove    1169
1 hour ago, Blueleaf12 said:

Fáfnir was the guy who stole the gold at the beginning of the opera and made the cursed ring that fell through history, right?

Indeed! He was affected by the cursed ring made by the dwarf Andvari. I don't happen to know a lot about the opera version specifically, but I do know that Andvari cursed it so anybody who would own it would meet a harsh demise, so I wouldn't really trust it in the hands of our reworked Valkyrie. I really like the idea of giving her an item that is related to the opera or the sagas, though - mine was the idea of her own version of Tyrfing, the cursed sword of the famous shieldmaiden Hervör that, once drawn, could not be put back unless it has killed somebody. 

• Like 2

Blueleaf12    1761
45 minutes ago, Pinegrove said:

I really like the idea of giving her an item that is related to the opera or the sagas, though - mine was the idea of her own version of Tyrfing, the cursed sword of the famous shieldmaiden Hervör that, once drawn, could not be put back unless it has killed somebody. 

So I've only seen the first part of the Wagner Ring Cycle, and the first hour or so of Die Walkure. So I haven't seen this part with that sword, but I could definitely see a reworked, cursed spear Wigfrid makes with nightmare fuel that's incredibly powerful, but cannot be put away unless she kills something. And maybe exploiting the Moose/Goose's honk to knock it out of her hands idk

• Like 1

Pinegrove    1169
45 minutes ago, Blueleaf12 said:

So I haven't seen this part with that sword

Bad wording on my part, this sword is actually not a part of the Wagner Ring Cycle, instead it's from the saga of Hervör and Heidrek. Even though it's a cool idea, I'm not sure how much it would truly fit in, as she is her own character.. But who knows, Klei might end up surprising us tomorrow, and giving her some sort of rad new craftable! Though I am reluctant on that, since her initial perks are very solid and the songs just top it off. 

Apologies for going off topic for this long, I also believe that the title will be related to theater and performance, maybe something similar to the Forge achievement "Curtain call". 

• Like 2

minespatch    78474
13 hours ago, Pinegrove said:

https://www.amazon.com/Fafnir-Monsters-Mythology-Bernard-Evslin/dp/1555462472

Here's the book that makes him a ogre first.

• Like 1