Gurgel

Hey, Klei people! Are you still alive?

Junksteel    818

It'd has been better for me if I never knew the DLC was on its way.

I stopped to play the save I was investing in to wait for the DLC "around the corner".

It's crazy how news about a game you love can actually make you stop playing it...

• Like 1

spkthed    67
27 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

I stopped to play the save I was investing in to wait for the DLC "around the corner".

It's crazy how news about a game you love can actually make you stop playing it...

Same ironically. That's a real can't win for them though. Endgame is pretty widely viewed as un-fun. No news for 6/12 months makes people think they're done with it which will also make people stop playing. Announcing it early means that there's no point in yet another end-game wait-fest which is necessary for some of the cooler inventions.

Could make early access for DLC an option, and public updates early and often, but those are business decisions weighed against the cost of doing business and against development of the game.

Le sigh.

• Like 1

SharraShimada    782
1 hour ago, Junksteel said:

Thats the wrong way i guess. If they make a big DLC, you may want to start from scratch got benefit from everything. It was never the best idea to adapt a bigger patch to an existing save. 

On 10/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, Junksteel said:

Same here, i stopped playing the game because if they will be redesign the space system , WHATS THE POINT wasting time and effort when my saves wont work. 

24 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Apparently I'm the only one content to play the game as it currently stands.  I'm certain to enjoy new content, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the current state of the game.  I'm still playing several times a week.

I think Klei have done a great job making an enjoyable game.  Keep up the good work, Klei!

Don't you think that the space system needed a rework ? 

TheMule    257
14 hours ago, Sebastiangperez said:

WHATS THE POINT wasting time and effort when my saves wont work.

At this time, we don't know if the DLC will force you to start over. For sure, being optional, you can keep playing with the old saves.

It's possible that, if you want to access the new stuff, a new colony is needed.

15 hours ago, Sebastiangperez said:

Don't you think that the space system needed a rework ? 

No, not really. Polished a bit maybe. Fixing annoying oxylite-related bugs, maybe. Giving a better motivation to use hydrogen rockets, maybe. I'd like them to be faster that petroleum rockets, for example. Today they only provide a small advantage in LOX reduction, but at the price of LH2 which is more expensive than petroleum, and LOX is basicly free once you have LH2 in place.
Since Francis John popularized the sealed silo concept, I guess you could argue their biggest advantage is the hot steam emission, compared to hot CO2. However popular, I still see it as a niche use.
A few mods improve the space experience. Maybe being able to queue the whole rocket by default.
Those are minor stuff tho.

Actually I hope they just add a different mechanism on top of the current one. Like a 4th type of rocket, which sends you to a different system / colony.

15 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Apparently I'm the only one content to play the game as it currently stands.  I'm certain to enjoy new content, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the current state of the game.  I'm still playing several times a week.

I think Klei have done a great job making an enjoyable game.  Keep up the good work, Klei!

You're not the only one.

Gurgel    1905
17 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I think the current game is pretty good, I just need a break for a while. But even if there were no DLC, I am sure I would play it again.

• Like 1

Yunru    1215
2 hours ago, TheMule said:

Since Francis John popularized the sealed silo concept

Sealed Silo?

TheMule    257
30 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Sealed Silo?

A rocket silo in which you trap the steam produced by rockets. The way FJ does it, it starts at the bottom of the map. And that's actually what keeps the steam inside, mainly, it takes a long time for "pressure" to equalize so it's normal to have 50kg at the bottom and 2kg at the top.

At the top, he adds a set of mech doors under the bunker doors. The mech doors close much faster and trap steam inside the silo. Personally I think in the grand scheme of things they are not necessary for such tall silos. They are if your silo is much shorter tho.

At the side(s) of the silo you place steam turbines to collect the steam.

This works well with steam rockets (of course) and actually (on a tall silo) is very water positive, and you can use the same steam to refuel rockets.

Hydrogen rockets produce I believe less but hotter steam. It's still water positive considering the water cost in producing LH2, and vastly power positive.

In this application, hydrogen rockets have a distinct advantage on petroleum ones. They produce hot CO2, which is way more convoluted to turn back into petroleum and water (you need to cool it down and feed it to quite a lot molten slicksters, which takes a lot of room, and/or a huge hit on fps). The petroleum you produce could be burnt for energy and pwater (or steam). I've never run the math for the process, I can't tell if it's water positive in the end.

Yunru    1215

Oh, so it's just a long silo. Why's it got a name to it? The concept's as old as steam rockets, and proposed by at least five different people. 

yoakenashi    607
1 hour ago, Yunru said:

Oh, so it's just a long silo. Why's it got a name to it? The concept's as old as steam rockets, and proposed by at least five different people. 

Make that six :D I also built this. But then again I’m not a youtuber:

It’s not about who first proposed it, it’s about who first made it popular, haha.

21 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

No, not the only one. I haven’t taken a break either with the DLC about to come out. I restarted bases all the time when I first began playing the game, why would restarting bother me now? I do see why people would take a break or wait though. It’s pretty often you hear people posting “I’m just getting back into ONI, what did I miss”.

SamLogan    974
On 10/6/2020 at 5:39 PM, Junksteel said:

Yeah, I always restart whenever we have any update to the game.

What I meant is.... getting to know there is a DLC in the pipeline made me lose interest in the current base I was playing and in the current version of the game in general. The expectancy created by the announcement of something new on the way made me lose interest in the current game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Just sharing some subtle effects that the announcement had over me. Even the DLC and the news around it being a positive thing, it just made impossible for me to enjoy the current version of the game. Anxiety issues...

Don't forget there will be a new content patch for the vanilla game will come with the DLC. So it not replace the original game, it's just a parallel experience.

gabberworld    31
10 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Don't forget there will be a new content patch for the vanilla game will come with the DLC. So it not replace the original game, it's just a parallel experience.

but what about rockets and current adventure for other rocks? they tell something about change rockets, that may not everyone like. or it will be only at new dlc?

Edited by gabberworld

SamLogan    974
4 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

but what about rockets and current adventure for other rocks? they tell something about change rockets, that may not everyone like. or it will be only at new dlc?

I think it will only on the DLC given the new system is working with the new feature that allow to visit multiple asteroid.

gabberworld    31
10 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

I think it will only on the DLC given the new system is working with the new feature that allow to visit multiple asteroid.

i to really like that idea self for go the other rocks, i suppose it's similar for "No Man's Sky" maybe they even take idea from there, dunno.

Gurgel    1905

Well, I saw a dynamic going that was not good, so I made this posting. I think it and the responses managed to stop that dynamic and we got some nice explanation about what is going on. We did not get any numbers or estimates, but lets be honest: Estimates about software are nonsense even when you do boring business software where you know exactly what the end product will look like. Something like an ONI DLC is outside of where you can make realistic estimates. So I am not expecting any. 

What was obvious is that the "small extensions" process pretty much had run its course for the time being and that space & rocketry was actually too large for it. They tried, they got a reasonable result, but it falls behind the rest of the game noticeably. Then they tried some additional small extensions and found that is not really the way forward. That a DLC takes a lot longer is not a surprise, and it may well not have been out yet even without the current health crisis. They will certainly not take a very long time and then deliver something not good. Klei is far to capable and experienced at what they do for that. Sure, they may deliver something _controversial_, but that is just a thing that happens is people really care about a game. What they will not do is deliver something boring or unworkable. And I very much expect it to be not easy to master at first either.

TheMule    257

On 10/15/2020 at 8:20 PM, Yunru said:

The concept's as old as steam rockets, and proposed by at least five different people. 

I said popularized, not proposed first. Can you name those five people?

Yunru    1215
12 minutes ago, TheMule said:

I said popularized, not proposed first. Can you name those five people?

I can name at least two: Mathman and myself. 

It was literally the first conclusion everyone reached upon learning that the output was constant independent from length of time on map. 

Edited by Yunru

TheMule    257
On 10/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, Yunru said:

I can name at least two: Mathman and myself. 

Exactly.

On 10/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, TheMule said:

Since Francis John popularized the sealed silo concept

Can you please tell me what is wrong with that? Are you arguing that he didn't make the concept popular? You know, the number of people who do that skyrocketed after his Xmas video last year.
Frankly I don't understand people who are pissed off by Francis John popularity. He never claims credits to his name, he just makes popular videos. Anything that appears in his videos is going to be popular. If anything, he helps some niche concepts find their way to mainstream. Just like his mini sour gas boiler inspired many people experimenting with bead exchangers. I see nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 2

Yunru    1215
15 minutes ago, TheMule said:

You know, the number of people who do that skyrocketed after his Xmas video last year.

No, I don't. In fact, I've never even heard of him.