Help me to boost my oni perf

On 8/31/2020 at 8:54 PM, Flydo said:

So i will explain, the biggest problem i have it's the saving time between each cycle, take a long long time (map 95 % discover, cycle 4700, 24 dupe)

The saving time ruin my game experience (all the rest is quite smoothie), it's getting worse only when i have a bigger big base (Note: I prefer to don't use mod, except if it's the only solution)

Intel(R)_Core(TM)_i7-6700_CPU_@_3.40GHz

8Go RAM DDR4 at 1066 MHz with a clock at about 3900 MHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

ONI is on a SSD

It`s a good CPU, I`m currently playing on a ONi pC with a 7700k. Map 90% excavated, 100-200 dupes. 25-45 fps.

Make sure your cpu can draw max power, set cpu and board stuff to maximum power drain in bios and os and check your cpu temp. I recommend a 1kg - 2kg air cooler on the cpu or good water cooling and throwing the pc case away. Either just lay the board out or buy a open case rig. I prefer monster air cooling, water can get messy and gunky over time. ONi is actual one of the rare games which actually make my Noctua ventilators spin.

Tip:

usd$80 Noctua nhd15, 1.5kg ...its what I got on my cpu. I also delided the 7700k ( have the 6700k and 8700k too, its all the same ), applied metal fluid between the die and lid - Will give you another ~10 celsius, which can result in another up to 10 fps in ONi. Its basically what Intel tried to do with all follow up cpu names to counter AMD in this year, to reduce space between the die and lid and stopping to use their cheap thermal crap paste under the cpu lid. Its also good to use metal paste on the lid, like "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut" on whatever cooler you got on top. Will also bring you a few celsius down.

All of this will bring you of course a good boost on whatever else you do or play. If you do all this and you do it well, your cpu can run at turbo clock speed the whole time, instead of switch off after a few seconds and clocking down.

image.thumb.png.10e93d04d0bcedd3c888af76641b65ec.png

ONi CPU thread info

On 8/31/2020 at 9:54 PM, Flydo said:

ONI is on a SSD

oni is at ssd but what is the main hdd? game files are saved to default documents folder what is not good really at all and performance drops because off that

i think its possible change in windows that you can move your documents folder to ssd as well, not tested this tho

also another thing is that you might todo is disable virus checking for that Klei save files folder, should be increase the save performance  aswell

also you might want disable virus checking for the folder "C:\Users\YOURNICKNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Klei\Oxygen Not Included"

that may increase game performance as well , output_log.txt makes changes sometimes allot in that folder because off weird bugs, virus scan may not like that

Save time isn't really affected by storage performance in this game it seems. 1400 cycles in and my base takes about 10 seconds to save with fast save enhanced mod on an PCI express NVME SSD with 1500MB/s write speeds.

The save file is 15 MB. Disk speed is not really a factor for saving, even a 5400 rpm hdd can write at 50MB/s

Instead, the game has to get a snapshot of everything that is going on at the time of save, and compress that down to the save format which is probably stuff like removing wild plant self-harvest time, remove bunker door opening times, and other semi-useless information to reduce file size, at the expense of time to save.

I think there was a mod that allowed asynchronous saving, but I don't know if it still exists or how well it works.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:52 PM, gabberworld said:

oni is at ssd but what is the main hdd? game files are saved to default documents folder what is not good really at all and performance drops because off that

i think its possible change in windows that you can move your documents folder to ssd as well, not tested this tho

also another thing is that you might todo is disable virus checking for that Klei save files folder, should be increase the save performance  aswell

also you might want disable virus checking for the folder "C:\Users\YOURNICKNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Klei\Oxygen Not Included"

that may increase game performance as well , output_log.txt makes changes sometimes allot in that folder because off weird bugs, virus scan may not like that

SSD too

Thank for the tips

Archived