Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

WhackE

Do you actually tame Beefalo?

Do you actually tame Beefalo?  

146 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Have you ever tamed a Beefalo before?

• yes I have tamed one (or more)
    • Never even tried too
    • I attempted to tame one
    • Partially tame one to carry statues
  2. 2. Do you Know what the different Beefalo types do?

• Yes I read the wiki
    • there are different types?!??!
  3. 3. Which Beefalo type is your favourite?

• ORNERY - highest damage at 50
    • RIDER - highest move speed at 8
    • PUDGY - 6.25 sanity aura
    • I don't have a favorite
    • DEFAULT - isn't special
  4. 4. Do you think they are all balanced? if not why are they unbalanced or need to be changed? or answer in the comments.

• I'm not sure/ I am neutral
    • ORNERY needs buff/nerf
    • RIDER needs buff/nerf
    • PUDGY need buff/nerf

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/20 at 01:30 AM

WhackE    442

This a simple poll, I just want to know how many people actually interact and use the Beefalo taming mechanics, and if you think they're in good standing. I think some changes could happen since I feel there is a slight imbalance with the Beefalo types. What will I do with this information? Hopefully a certain uncompromising mod will see some of my suggestions...

ADM    6285

I really like them, but I would be happy if Klei decides to modify some stuff in a future QoL like changing the tab for Beefalo taming crafts, how the Salt Lick behaves (plz add repair with Nitre / Salt :() and some very minor things.

Also, I'd like to mention for players that hesitate to start with Beef taming, the time you invest with them is always beneficial for you as you will use it everyday until it is fully tamed, it will encourages you to use farms more to have a lot of strong food recipes you can use for yourself and the Beefalo (aka Dragonpies), so that's why I also recommand to have unlocked the bundle wraps before, so you can carry a stack on you with no problem.

As for the tendencies, the Rider is useful if you only want to travel but I assure you, using a Ornery Beefalo with the right saddle in battle is VERY COOL, it's a free HP sack, and your character will tell you if the Beefalo is low life so you can put it aside. I wouldn't like the Pudgy to be buffed as it kinda makes you feel like you failed the taming, I like the idea even tho I'm not sure if Klei really wanted to make it useful or not.

Also, maybe it's time to add a new saddles with all the new stuff we have in RoT, uh ? I'd like to see a sort of Cookie Cutter Shell Saddle ^^

WhackE    442
11 minutes ago, Notecja said:

Could you add more options for answers like "I tried tame beefalo" or "I don't have fav type"?

absolutely 

Mike23Ua    7779

I’ve never tamed a Beefalo.. in fact MOST of Xbox Live has never tamed one either..

Spoiler

Also fun fact: You can now tame Beefalo in Single player Don’t Starve as of its most recent patch update.. I’ve never done it, but I read the patch notes about it.

I have however built the annoying Accomploshrine and activated it 725 times in a Row.

AF2F7AE9-66ED-46C2-B15A-BBF5C579B445.thumb.jpeg.5a86739d39561525e36f11e701964c70.jpeg

WhackE    442
Spoiler
13 minutes ago, ADM said:

I really like them, but I would be happy if Klei decides to modify some stuff in a future QoL like changing the tab for Beefalo taming crafts, how the Salt Lick behaves (plz add repair with Nitre / Salt :() and some very minor things.

Also, I'd like to mention for players that hesitate to start with Beef taming, the time you invest with them is always beneficial for you as you will use it everyday until it is fully tamed, it will encourages you to use farms more to have a lot of strong food recipes you can use for yourself and the Beefalo (aka Dragonpies), so that's why I also recommand to have unlocked the bundle wraps before, so you can carry a stack on you with no problem.

As for the tendencies, the Rider is useful if you only want to travel but I assure you, using a Ornery Beefalo with the right saddle in battle is VERY COOL, it's a free HP sack, and your character will tell you if the Beefalo is low life so you can put it aside. I wouldn't like the Pudgy to be buffed as it kinda makes you feel like you failed the taming, I like the idea even tho I'm not sure if Klei really wanted to make it useful or not.

Also, maybe it's time to add a new saddles with all the new stuff we have in RoT, uh ? I'd like to see a sort of Cookie Cutter Shell Saddle ^^

I like the idea of the saltlicks being repairable, nice QoL update. I of course think salt should have a higher repair value than nitre, obviously.

yeah beefalo is tedious but I like that, minimum taming time is 15 days, and you do get a powerful companion by the end of the process, I never felt that it wasn't worth my time to tame a beef but it would be better if they were all more equal.

I don't think we need more saddles, but rather I think the existing ones should be improved as well as the weird saddle horn. (it's really quite useless). But this brings me to my next point.

Rider is arguably one of the best, if only for the fact that it's fast, it could be more mechanically interesting, I thought that maybe the the glossamer saddle could be reworked, rather than provide a small speed boost, it could have a "boost" mechanic like Epona in Legend of Zelda games. and for Ornery is the second best if not better, 1000 hp meat shield (beefs have 4x the amount of healing from healing items too) and with the war saddle the Ornery beef does 66 dmg, two less than the dark sword, if that isn't good I don't know what is, but I have also thought of ways to make the Ornery better, either by passively giving a tamed Ornery 20% damage resistance, and making it so that the war saddle gives the beefalo an aoe attack. ( I know 20% damage resistance doesn't sound like a lot but it adds up), and these two passive abilities could be switched with each other depending on what works best.

for Pudgy, it's a little harder because it's more of a support beefalo, I would give it two new buffs to make it more viable increase the rate at which it poops by 2x, and give it a passive insulation so when you ride it you freeze slower. not much else I could think of.

Terra B Welch    5683

I only tame one long enough to haul the marble pieces, after that I either kill it or let it return to its herd.

Beefalo domestication is such a time sink. :s

ArubaroBeefalo    4955

the only thing i will change/add for beefalo taming is having salt licks refuelable like others users already said, buffing a little the sanity gain of the fatty one and having a saddle that makes your beefalo able to carry stuff (is suppose to be a strong big beast)

x0-VERSUS-1y    6193

"Partially tamed beef for carrying statues" should also be an option - I reckon most people did that (before Walter's arrival).

WhackE    442
16 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

having a saddle that makes your beefalo able to carry stuff (is suppose to be a strong big beast)

There is a mod called Legion that adds a saddle that does that exact thing. It would be nice to have that as a base game item however.

Lbphero    2618

@WhackE please add a "Default" option to what tendency is my favorite, thats one that exists too!

I love taming beefalo! It can be a little frustrating, especially with the misinformation going around about how you actually ever have to feed it, but overall I enjoy having a tame one around for many purposes. 

I think Rider, Ornery, and Default are alright if we're going by the "standard" beefalo taming standards, but Pudgy really sucks and I have no idea what they were going for, to be honest. Maybe It could slow your hunger drain while you're on it, Or something?

WhackE    442

I didn't add Default because it literally is just a generic every day beefalo that you can ride, I considered adding it but it doesn't bring anything to gameplay, and I've asked myself why I would a choose a mount that has no real upsides?

If enough people complain about it, I'll most likely add it.

11 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

@WhackE please add a "Default" option to what tendency is my favorite, thats one that exists too!

I love taming beefalo! It can be a little frustrating, especially with the misinformation going around about how you actually ever have to feed it, but overall I enjoy having a tame one around for many purposes. 

I think Rider, Ornery, and Default are alright if we're going by the "standard" beefalo taming standards, but Pudgy really sucks and I have no idea what they were going for, to be honest. Maybe It could slow your hunger drain while you're on it, Or something?

Lbphero    2618
8 minutes ago, WhackE said:

I didn't add Default because it literally is just a generic every day beefalo that you can ride, I considered adding it but it doesn't bring anything to gameplay, and I've asked myself why I would a choose a mount that has no real upsides?

If enough people complain about it, I'll most likely add it.

What? It's the highest damage mount that you can get that doesn't need constant feeding to ride, just because it doesnt have some silly 6.25 per minute sanity gain doesn't mean that it doesnt bring anything to gameplay, at least not any less than any other beefalo does, thats pretty silly of you.

WhackE    442
Just now, Lbphero said:

What? It's the highest damage mount that you can get that doesn't need constant feeding to ride, just because it doesnt have some silly 6.25 per minute sanity gain doesn't mean that it doesnt bring anything to gameplay, at least not any less than any other beefalo does, thats pretty silly.

Eh, fine.

themightyone    209

I love me some beef taming . I usually go with the Ornary with a Glossamer but have a war saddle incase I need more power. Pudgy could use a little something extra imo

SinancoTheBest    2360
17 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

What? It's the highest damage mount that you can get that doesn't need constant feeding to ride, just because it doesnt have some silly 6.25 per minute sanity gain doesn't mean that it doesnt bring anything to gameplay, at least not any less than any other beefalo does, thats pretty silly.

How does someone even tame a default, seems so hard to me to maintain a perfect pytagoras triangle where no tendency is better than the combination of others. Most of the time I don't do much feeding so I get either rider or ornary depending on if I made more exploration or fighting with it. Sometimes they get tied perfectly that my beef's face keeps changing between angry ornery and smirky rider few times in a day until I specialize in one. I tamed Pudgy only once, on an endless 3rd year world where we had endless food so they had to go somewhere and constant tam o shanter effect is quite nice, but for its low speed and damage, it certainly needs more perks, such as the slow hunger drain as you proposed.

Nitre and Salt should totally be able to refuel salt licks. We literally have salt now so they got to interact and charlie knows how many salt stops I make when taming beefs.Both minerals could use more functions.

I wonder if people would appreciate it if fully domesticated beefalos had the ability to go into caves. Personally seems like an appropriate little "gift" for going through with the whole process. Most people who don't tame are intimidated by by the task but honestly you get the benefits even in the first day of your taming so I don't agree.

Finally please give Wes a balloon saddle that'd pop on the first shake-off in his rework :3

Lbphero    2618
6 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

How does someone even tame a default, seems so hard to me to maintain a perfect pytagoras triangle where no tendency is better than the combination of others.

by no means is it convenient, or even super recommended unless you really don't want to feed the poor ornery beef, but the theory for obtaining one is to never ride it or have it get hit, and always feed it every day, but Never above 50% of it's hunger, which i'm pretty sure is 175. 

SinancoTheBest    2360
1 minute ago, Lbphero said:

by no means is it convenient, or even super recommended unless you really don't want to feed the poor ornery beef, but the theory for obtaining one is to never ride it or have it get hit, and always feed it every day, but Never above 50% of it's hunger, which i'm pretty sure is 175. 

Ohh right, not rising any of its tendencies is a tactic I forgot about, might try that, especially if I get the brush early on. Wonder how many brushings it'd take to tame a beefalo without feeding or riding it. If 15 brushings shorten the domestication by 5 days, may I assume I can domesticate a beefalo in about 50 days by only brushing it and keeping it near salt lick?

On the opposite end, you can probably get it by feeding a well ridden, well fought beefalo occasionally over 50% hunger. I'd certainly take some fine tuning though.

WhackE    442
23 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Finally please give Wes a balloon saddle that'd pop on the first shake-off in his rework :3

That'd be funny. I might just use that.

Lbphero    2618
5 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

domesticate a beefalo in about 50 days by only brushing it and keeping it near salt lick?

that's an amazing idea....

cropo    181

I never tried, and now that Walter exists I honestly just switch to him to carry my suspicious marble pieces now. Way too much of a hassle to bother, the only thing I'd ever use them for is carrying marble pieces...but Woby trivialized that.

chirsg    443

Rider with glossamer outruns bearger's charge. Other than max speed wx, I don't think any other character is able, unless on cobblestone with max speed augmentation, and even then, having a beefalo that fast has solid utility without depending on terrain 

Now that I think about it, I could swear that pudgy with glossamer can either match bearger charge or outrun it. I don't remember.