hoppin mandrake

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Recommended Posts

Falkenpelz    3274
On 5/17/2022 at 6:24 AM, jan Mele said:

Most things with health can be healed

Even shadow creatures for some reason lol. Also a general rule of thumb, what does and doesn't regen health: If it would be good for you if the creature regenerated health, it probably won't. If a regen would make your life only harder, it probably will heal. Suffering is the rule.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reallychina    870
8 hours ago, jan Mele said:

Would catcoons eat goop? You can also try hounds if that doesn't work.

hounds can't be penned unless you bait them, but at that point they will no longer kill glommer.

seems like best choice is a catcoon but i don't know if it kills glommer offscreen. I'd be tempted to say it does since you usually find glommer goop if you don't pick it up at day 11.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    15103

Okay seriously where are the devs and forum mods? They must be busy with other stuff (likely Nintendo switch’s first big patch) but like geez.. can’t they at least pop in without saying a word and give this post a ShopCat reaction or something? At least then I’d know they’re all still alive & haven’t been like, well you know abducted by demons or had a random chunk of the moon break off and fall on their head.

Klei are you guys okay??!

Blink twice if your in Danger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    15103

Do Tallbirds inflict damage to themselves when they try to peck you and hit the ground instead? And if not.. why do their bodies blink and they winch in pain when they peck the ground if it’s not causing them actual health damage?

If they DO take Health damage from missing you and pecking the ground.. is it possible to kill a Tallbird by just letting it literally peck itself to death missing you?

If this isn’t how tall birds work in DS/DST can we get this as an official change to Tallbirds?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Variant    11846
1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Do Tallbirds inflict damage to themselves when they try to peck you and hit the ground instead? And if not.. why do their bodies blink and they winch in pain when they peck the ground if it’s not causing them actual health damage?

No, it's just a silly animation quirk.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Falkenpelz    3274

Is there any reason to show up with spiders at a Df fight, since they are guaranteed to get insta-toasted by the first enraged move anyways? Bonus question: Do literally all creatures consider lavapools perfectly fine ground to walk over?? I've known about larvae and Chester for a while now, but I just watched open-mouthed, as a dozen smiling spiders roasted themselves happily while trying to get to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FourthLess    302
21 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Is there any reason to show up with spiders at a Df fight, since they are guaranteed to get insta-toasted by the first enraged move anyways?

If you're quick enough, you can put Dragonfly to sleep before she does a stomp. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheggf    9495
37 minutes ago, FourthLess said:

If you're quick enough, you can put Dragonfly to sleep before she does a stomp. 

You can also bring so many spiders that the losses are acceptable casualties. :D

  • Wavey 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grumm9690    135
10 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

Do literally all creatures consider lavapools perfectly fine ground to walk over??

Yeah. Pathfinding for all mobs for any objects that aren't walls is usually very poor or simply nonexistant. Webber mains can just use whistle on spiders when dfly flies away tho to drop the aggro.

Edited by grumm9690

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grumm9690    135
1 hour ago, Waoling said:

Is it a good idea to base near Wormhole, cave or ocean?

Caves and ocean: nope. It's ok if your base is near them, but this isn't a reason to base around there because it rarely gives you any benefits, world has enough sinkholes to almost always have one somewhere nearby. Wormholes, on the other hand, yeah, but depending on where does the wormhole lead you to. Ocean also has one benefit, but it's not so important: being able to protect your base using big fig tree nuts from wildfires, but if your base isn't really small, it won't give enough range.

Edited by grumm9690
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    19186
3 hours ago, Waoling said:

Is it a good idea to base near Wormhole, cave or ocean?

wormhole can be good depending of world gen. Also you can use the worldhole to jump when hounds are about to come so you prevent any fire hound in base or hounds in mob pens without the need of having an ugly empty area in base for hound killing

yes. easy and quick access to caves has a lot of benefits like not wasting time picking lightbulbs in early, dusk meat delivery service via bats, quick travel arround the world if there are other cave exists to far away biomes. Also saves time if you plan to build a cave base in summer

the ocean brings many cooking improvements like being able to plant kelp near your kitchen (veggie filler+sanity food when dried), making lureplant boats to farm leafy meat, fishing fishes or woabsters if lucky world gen or building a kitchen on top of beats so hounds or deerclops dont interrupt your cooking. Also you can plant giant trees which brings some benefits like having figs and some weather protection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frogzard    125
On 5/16/2022 at 12:16 PM, reallychina said:

Is thermal stone max tempetature capped? I remember reading you get most of it with 4 furnaces, but would adding a starcaller on top make it hotter?

 

Or can you do 3 furnaces and 1 star for max effect?

Yes, it caps at 90 degrees. More furnaces/stars gives you diminishing returns though, so it's up to you how many you want to use.

(Tested on day 25)

3 furnaces: 77.2 degrees

3 furnaces + star: 81.6 degrees

4 furnaces: 82.4 degrees

4 furnaces + star: 86.1 degrees

In both cases it adds roughly 4 degrees, which during winter translates to the stone lasting an extra 20 seconds longer before going cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grumm9690    135
8 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wormhole can be good depending of world gen. Also you can use the worldhole to jump when hounds are about to come so you prevent any fire hound in base or hounds in mob pens without the need of having an ugly empty area in base for hound killing

yes. easy and quick access to caves has a lot of benefits like not wasting time picking lightbulbs in early, dusk meat delivery service via bats, quick travel arround the world if there are other cave exists to far away biomes. Also saves time if you plan to build a cave base in summer

the ocean brings many cooking improvements like being able to plant kelp near your kitchen (veggie filler+sanity food when dried), making lureplant boats to farm leafy meat, fishing fishes or woabsters if lucky world gen or building a kitchen on top of beats so hounds or deerclops dont interrupt your cooking. Also you can plant giant trees which brings some benefits like having figs and some weather protection 

Travel through sinkholes usually gets nullified by loading screen time and about ocean fishing, well, seriously, who uses DST ocean fishing at all and who regenerates sanity with kelp and uses boats to escape hounds and builds summer cave bases? Most of those are just not profitable or stats from the far past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    19186
4 minutes ago, grumm9690 said:

Travel through sinkholes usually gets nullified by loading screen time and about ocean fishing, well, seriously, who uses DST ocean fishing at all and who regenerates sanity with kelp and uses boats to escape hounds and builds summer cave bases? Most of those are just not profitable or stats from the far past.

ok

  • Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheggf    9495
3 hours ago, grumm9690 said:

Travel through sinkholes usually gets nullified by loading screen time and about ocean fishing, well, seriously, who uses DST ocean fishing at all and who regenerates sanity with kelp and uses boats to escape hounds and builds summer cave bases? Most of those are just not profitable or stats from the far past.

Grumm built different with the 150x movement speed modifier outrunning loading screens. 

  • Like 2
  • GL Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grumm9690    135
2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Keep in mind that that the only reason people were against removing trinkets from merm king's loot table was because he drops a trinket that's useful for fishing.

Probably because merm king rewards you with gold for ocean fishes. Also, those were probably Wurt mains if it's about merm king, so eh. Judging by their character picks they don't exactly pick stuff depending on how useful it is anyway.

 

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

The lunar island usually comes with 30 to 40 bull kelp stalks which can be planted near your base and harvested every 2 days without any upkeep you can then put them on a drying rack for only 2 mintues for a sanity food that lasts 20 days and heals for 10 sanity meaning about every 18-20 mintues you get 300 to 400 sanity's worth of food that stacks to 40 please tell me your not implying that's bad...

I mostly mean why would you need sanity food? In first autumn you can just farm nightmare fuel to get enough ruins loot & dark swords, after first winter you got shanter and only in late-game you may use sanity regenerating food for CC crown. And if you're going to talk about bosses, for fuelweaver you usually have bee queen crown and deerclops doesn't live long enough to need a ton of sanity food. The rest don't have sanity aura or it only triggers for short periods of time (bee queen screams) or it's weak (Klaus) so it doesn't even matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    19186
6 minutes ago, grumm9690 said:

Probably because merm king rewards you with gold for ocean fishes. Also, those were probably Wurt mains if it's about merm king, so eh. Judging by their character picks they don't exactly pick stuff depending on how useful it is anyway.

and another comment showing how little idea you have :wilson_celebrate:

6 minutes ago, grumm9690 said:

I mostly mean why would you need sanity food?

kelp is one of the best ways to keep CC crown active during combat

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mysterious box    2535
11 minutes ago, grumm9690 said:

Probably because merm king rewards you with gold for ocean fishes. Also, those were probably Wurt mains if it's about merm king, so eh. Judging by their character picks they don't exactly pick stuff depending on how useful it is anyway.

 This was a talk point long before  Wurt got reworked so that can't be a reason and believe it or not  they weren't all Wurt players.

 

16 minutes ago, grumm9690 said:

I mostly mean why would you need sanity food? In first autumn you can just farm nightmare fuel to get enough ruins loot & dark swords, after first winter you got shanter and only in late-game you may use sanity regenerating food for CC crown. And if you're going to talk about bosses, for fuelweaver you usually have bee queen crown and deerclops doesn't live long enough to need a ton of sanity food. The rest don't have sanity aura or it only triggers for short periods of time (bee queen screams) or it's weak (Klaus) so it doesn't even matter.

Interesting so your saying noone cares about sanity food until the late game that's a bold claim right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grumm9690    135
13 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and another comment showing how little idea you have :wilson_celebrate:

Idea about what, though? What's the point of saying this if you don't explain it at all?

 

14 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

kelp is one of the best ways to keep CC crown active during combat

I already said this later in the post. Bruh.

 

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

 This was a talk point long before  Wurt got reworked so that can't be a reason and believe it or not  they weren't all Wurt players.

If they weren't wurt mains, why did they care about merm king trade loots? Weird.

 

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Interesting so your saying noone cares about sanity food until the late game that's a bold claim right there.

Some do, sure, but they may just not know the better alternatives or, most likely, peolpe who haven't learned to kite nightmares yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mysterious box    2535
9 minutes ago, grumm9690 said:

If they weren't wurt mains, why did they care about merm king trade loots? Weird.

Simple it's called don't starve TOGETHER and some people play with friends or just take advantage of using merm king benefits when they're there might sound crazy but some non Wurt even use merms to gather resources.

12 minutes ago, grumm9690 said:

Some do, sure, but they may just not know the better alternatives or, most likely, peolpe who haven't learned to kite nightmares yet.

Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure most don't follow the stay insane till you get tamo method not just people who aren't good at combat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grumm9690    135
9 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Simple it's called don't starve TOGETHER and some people play with friends or just take advantage of using merm king benefits when they're there might sound crazy but some non Wurt even use merms to gather resources.

I have no idea why were they trading with merm king for the fishing trinket unless they were just doing ocean fishing for fun in late-game I guess, and using random mechanics for fun isn't exactly the current topic.

 

9 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure most don't follow the stay insane till you get tamo method not just people who aren't good at combat.

Well, too bad for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    19186
12 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure most don't follow the stay insane till you get tamo method not just people who aren't good at combat.

everybody fight terrorbeaks during boss fights and even when they have many chests filled with NF, not a waste of time at all. Or in early when you have enough NF because of ruins rush and wanna do other things quickly...

follow the """meta""""

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grumm9690    135
3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

everybody fight terrorbeaks during boss fights and even when they have many chests filled with NF, not a waste of time at all. Or in early when you have enough NF because of ruins rush and wanna do other things quickly...

follow the """meta""""

This is disgusting to read. Show at least some respect to someone who you talk about, that kind of messages only shows how disgusting your personality is. Cringe tbh. You can just raise your sanity up a bit before boss fight using whatever, even flowers if you want, you don't need 400 or whatever sanity from kelp farm. You won't get all chests filled with nightmare fuel in just first autumn unless you intendedly eat green caps as your main food source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now