Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

SilverBisexual

How do you make your world YOUR world

Base Info  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How big is your base?

• Base? What's that?: No base
    • Small base: Just the essentials
    • Average-sized base: Everything I need and a little more
    • Large base: Can't hurt place another 20 drying racks
    • M E G A B A S E: More base than nature
    • The land is no longer; there is only base: Wilson-friendly
  2. 2. How much stuff do you relocate?

• Leave everything as is
    • Take the essentials, but leave most as is
    • About half is in my base, and the other half is left as is
    • Most of the resources are in my base
    • Everything I can take is mine
  3. 3. How many bases do you have?

• 2 (caves)
    • 2 (surface; summer/winter bases, etc)
    • 3 (who wouldn't want to live in the ruins of a civilization constantly in magical flux?))
    • 3 (surface; bases are my passion)
    • 4 (I like bases, okay?)
    • 5 (a base for every season and more)
    • 6+ (I may have a problem)

SilverBisexual    524

Hello everyone,

This is something I just thought of, but I was wondering how you all interact with the environment in the game. While I know some like to completely re-turf and conquer nature with mega bases spanning half the map, I generally like to maintain nature as it is in the game as best I can and only grow my base in a specific area. While my base is large, it usually never becomes a behemoth like Glermz's worlds for example, and I tend to therefore be in just a single biome. I've always loved to keep "nature" in one place and my base in another place and it helps keep me immersed because I know if I were to tear apart much of the world it would feel too artificial to me.

What do you all do though?

Notecja    865

I was used to stick to two "essential" bases - one underground and one on surface, but since I become more experienced I started to build bigger and bigger bases I really need that fish exhibition area! and more and more of them -  one more for lunar island, small oasis base... But I cannot imagine creating more base than land, especially when most time I play alone. Also I like having some nature untouched.

BezKa    480

My base is always only one flingo big. Everything else is put in the distance, so I can avoid fires consuming my precious drying racks while still having them evenly put. Another mini base at oasis for fishing trinkets and I'm basicailly set. Later on a toothtrap field joins somwhere near (but not in my field of vision). Somwhere near will be a field of beeboxes (still not close enough to have killer bees after my butt in spring) and some werepig farm. That forces me to make a ridiculous amount of roads and always carry a cane. So I'm turning the rockylands into some park, just to have that precious turf. In the end, my base is fragmented and spread around,surrounded by nature. 

To make the world feel like mine... Place some statues if you're patient enough. Feels surprisingly cozy when your roads are marked by figures of giants you slayed. Put some fireflies around the main base to have some (not very bright) but lit up corner of world. And ffs, clean after yourself. I don't mean sort your chests and pick up items on the ground, but as person that uses the blocking method to fight Klaus it absolutely sucks to have random walls and firepits spammed around your biome. Just, make sure everything has it's own place and you'll find it pretty comfy for yourself.

gaymime    3503

i'm incorrigible. underground i make a mini base at every point of interest as well as a standard-sized base for keeping my things, aboveground i make a starter base, a pigking mini base and then dot the rest of the world with firepits and occasionally chests(before i stopped having night-time games at all i would make those firepits about 1/2-3/4ths of a day apart so i was never caught in the dark)

recently though i have started making random parks and gardens in bare places

CameoAppearance    2557

I like medium-sized bases that have all the stuff I need and some decorative flourishes; about 2-4 flingos of space, generally, depending on where I put everything. I don't have the attention span for huge bases, and while it's nice to have the essentials in a compact enough space that I only need one flingo to cover it, the longer I live out of a new or secondary base the more stuff I end up adding to it. I don't like digging up berry bushes and grass tufts because fertilising them is annoying (I developed this preference long before disease existed, but that too) and I also like preserving nature as it exists in the game, or at least not doing anything too disruptive or irreversible to it outside of deliberately cultivated areas.

Generally I like to have two bases on the surface - one wherever I like to live most of the year and one smaller base at the oasis - and one in the caves. Maybe a second cave base closer to the ruins if I want to spend a lot of time in that area. (Especially in singleplayer where it's an entirely different map level and I don't want to go through a loading screen to sleep in a tent and grab some supplies.) Sometimes I'll make little outposts in parts of the map far away from the main base, which probably qualify as bases in their own right if I end up living out of them all winter and adding research structures and chests and stuff, but I don't build them with the intent of making an entire supernumerary base.

NSAiswatchingus    3530

Due to console limitations, I prefer multiple medium size bases spread out across the map. Trying to recreate a Glermz style megabase will quickly turn a world unplayable from lag. 

As far as making a world my own, I really enjoy changing up the natural biomes to something different. Anyone can make a base, but what kind of mad man returfs multiple biomes? This guy. 

Maxil20    1004

For me, I usually try to modify as much of the world as possible, in order to try and make a "world base". I usually try to make random builds across the map, while making some random biomes here and there.

As for preserving nature, I do try to the best of my ability. but changing the world is something neat as well. An example of this is my effort to returf all of the light flower fields in the caves from mud turf to swamp turf, like in DS. It's different, but it makes the world more unique, which I do enjoy. In addition, I also feel more obligated to do it in DST, since world regrowth will undo most creative builds unless you take precautions to prevent it from invading.

Also am not sure how to really answer the question about "bases". I have my main central area, but I also have random prep points scattered around the map for various activities (like having pinecones/marble beans at a safe spot in my bearger runway). If those are counted, I would easily surpass 10+, but otherwise I really only have 2-3 serious bases (one at oasis, one at my main hub, and one at the cave entrance).

One more thing, and it's random, but I do like when people dedicate parts of the map to turf art. I have Webber, for instance, but I also have seen some like toadstool as well. It's another neat thing you can do to have some sort of uniqueness to the world. Still wish there was a solid black turf color, though.

BezKa    480
7 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

Still wish there was a solid black turf color, though.

Beard rug for DST!

Mike23Ua    7675

As someone who plays a lot of single player adventures mode you were often building random campfires all over the place to avoid dying as you quest around the map to find the parts to the teleportato- this is a Mindset that carried over with me from the Solo DS into DST.

For me a “Base” consists of ONLY the Following Items- Campfire, Endofire, And a Cooking Pot. (& now When playing as Wendy.. one Sisturn too!)

Note: That you do not actually NEED any of that other stuff (storage chests, drying racks, science machine, alchemy engine, Shadow Manipulator etc...) because once you learn the craftables knowledge you no longer need to stand near those crafting tables to make the item anymore.

The biggest way to avoid grief players for me has been to quickly and discreetly build all the crafting tables I need, learn all the crafting recipes I plan to use, then hammering down and destroying the crafting tables- So that when grief players join the game they just ASSUME I’m some Newbie struggling to get by with my two little campfires and my lonely little cooking pot.

(ignore the fact that I place this set up all over the map in various locations as DS Single player TEACHES you to do..) 

But yeah- A grief player is going to assume that grieving your one campfire and one cook pot won’t even be worth it.